PDA

View Full Version : Bagley Out Tonight

happydays1949
02-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Just saw on EsPn Bagley not playing tonight.

NM Duke Fan
02-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Just saw on EsPn Bagley not playing tonight.

Ughh! Hopefully just a bump in the road, for both him personally and the team.

So the starting line up will be ..?

duketaylor
02-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Glad he's shown some good stuff lately. GO DEVILS!!

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Ughh! Hopefully just a bump in the road, for both him personally and the team.

So the starting line up will be ..?

As long as it's not a bump in the toe.

edit...ahh, it's a knee bump. http://www.wralsportsfan.com/mild-knee-sprain-sidelines-bagley-for-duke-s-trip-to-georgia-tech/17330151/

rsvman
02-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Might not be a bad thing, as long as it's not a lingering injury that affects many games.

Allowing some of the underlings a little more time in the bright spotlight sometimes pays dividends in the long run. We did OK against Michigan State without him, but that was with a different Grayson Allen.

Maybe we'll see more of that guy back? Maybe O'Connell will get some burn and do well? Maybe Bolden will get a lot more time and continue to show improvement?

sagegrouse
02-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Might not be a bad thing, as long as it's not a lingering injury that affects many games.

Given the history, especially the vagueness of the statements from Duke basketball, this is a grim foreboding. I am hoping it is one game, but I have seen this movie before.

MChambers
02-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Given the history, especially the vagueness of the statements from Duke basketball, this is a grim foreboding. I am hoping it is one game, but I have seen this movie before.

You mean it's over?

proelitedota
02-11-2018, 01:13 PM
Vigil time?

He should be out for two weeks.

UrinalCake
02-11-2018, 01:14 PM
Time for other guys to step up. Hopefully that includes Grayson. Good news is Bolden has looked great the last two games, maybe Javin will get some run and get back on track too.

Native
02-11-2018, 01:15 PM
I think Bolden steps up in a big way.

CDu
02-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Knee sprains in md-February make me nervous. Hopefully all is ok.

WHOneedsSOX
02-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Glad he's shown some good stuff lately. GO DEVILS!!

Probably DeLauier starting. Bolden and Carter would be too slow together.

tbyers11
02-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Knee sprains in md-February make me nervous. Hopefully all is ok.

Me too.

However, the Duke Basketball Cone of Injury Silence usually says "out with knee"

The fact that the release stated "precautionary measure for mild knee sprain sustained in the first half vs UNC" makes me optimistic.

Precautionary and mild are usually way more info than we usually receive. The fact that he played through it in the second half is hopeful as well.

However, with the Cone of Injury Silence you never really know

Furniture
02-11-2018, 01:46 PM
NEWS: As a precautionary measure, Marvin Bagley III will not play tonight at Georgia Tech with a mild knee sprain. The injury was sustained in the first half on Thursday at North Carolina.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/962722864792264704

Kedsy
02-11-2018, 01:48 PM
He should be out for two weeks.

Where'd you get this?

CDu
02-11-2018, 01:55 PM
NEWS: As a precautionary measure, Marvin Bagley III will not play tonight at Georgia Tech with a mild knee sprain. The injury was sustained in the first half on Thursday at North Carolina.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/962722864792264704

The fact that it happened in the first half but he was still able to play (and play reasonably well) in the second is reassuring. It does sound at least purely precautionary if they let him play the entire game Thursday.

If it is only minor, then the only downside is that it is a missed game opportunity for the team to find its rhythm together. But hopefully Bolden and DeLaurier take the opportunity to build their confidence with more PT.

ipatent
02-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Big night for Wendell in his Georgia homecoming.

devildeac
02-11-2018, 02:03 PM
As posted on the pre/in-game thread:

It's over.

Gimme the keys, I'll crank the engine on the vigil.

:o:rolleyes:

Troublemaker
02-11-2018, 02:09 PM
I think Bolden steps up in a big way.

Maybe Jack White to go for a more classic stretch-4 Duke look. Jack belongs at the 4 anyway, imo.

CDu
02-11-2018, 02:15 PM
As posted on the pre/in-game thread:

It's over.

Gimme the keys, I'll crank the engine on the vigil.

:o:rolleyes:

Not that this injury appears that serious, but how long are we going to keep trotting out the “it’s over” phrase? It has been 17 years since that famous phrase was uttered and the team pulled off a miracle thereafter. And pretty much every time we have had a major injury since then (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017), it has had a significant negative impact come tourney time.

I kind of feel like it is overdone now. And has been for a while.

Sorry for being a curmudgeon.

dukelifer
02-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Me too.

However, the Duke Basketball Cone of Injury Silence usually says "out with knee"

The fact that the release stated "precautionary measure for mild knee sprain sustained in the first half vs UNC" makes me optimistic.

Precautionary and mild are usually way more info than we usually receive. The fact that he played through it in the second half is hopeful as well.

However, with the Cone of Injury Silence you never really know

Sounds like he played through it and then it started to bother him or swell up a bit. Probably just a mild sprain but you never know. Luckily Bolden is back. May help to focus the team

CDu
02-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Maybe Jack White to go for a more classic stretch-4 Duke look. Jack belongs at the 4 anyway, imo.

Yeah the PFs should be DeLaurier and White rhis evening.

dukelifer
02-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Not that this injury appears that serious, but how long are we going to keep trotting out the “it’s over” phrase? It has been 17 years since that famous phrase was uttered and the team pulled off a miracle thereafter. And pretty much every time we have had a major injury since then (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017), it has had a significant negative impact come tourney time.

The “it’s over” phrase now is intended to be taken with humor- except in the tourney and the other team wins and then it’s over- til next year.

CDu
02-11-2018, 02:23 PM
The “it’s over” phrase now is intended to be taken with humor- except in the tourney and the other team wins and then it’s over- til next year.

I realize that. I just feel like it has jumped the shark. Especially since it get used in response to basically EVERY negative (big or small) moment/comment in every season.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2018, 02:37 PM

So, in regards to "it's over, one could say...?"

I have no issue with it. It is the cultural appropriation of reactionary BS tossed out by instant analysis media folks and fans.

dukelifer
02-11-2018, 02:39 PM
I realize that. I just feel like it has jumped the shark. Especially since it get used in response to basically EVERY negative (big or small) moment/comment in every season.

Perhaps overdone now - maybe needed for the right moment.

WVDUKEFAN
02-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Jav has been a fouling machine. I hope Bolden gets the nod.

CDu
02-11-2018, 02:41 PM
So, in regards to "it's over, one could say...?"

I have no issue with it. It is the cultural appropriation of reactionary BS tossed out by instant analysis media folks and fans.

How about, in cases like this, just say nothing?

I would argue that this has become just as reactionary BS in the other direction.

elvis14
02-11-2018, 02:46 PM
With Bagley out, I would think our starting lineup would still have Duval, Allen, Trent, Carter. So we will see who will start and who will come off the bench. So answer this in two ways: 1) what you want to happen 2) what you think will happen. Let's say who starts and who's first, second off the bench.

I'd like to see: Jack White start, Bolden and AOC first two guys off the bench
I think we will see: Bolden start, Javin and AOC first two guys off the bench

What say you?

rsvman
02-11-2018, 02:48 PM

You are too young to be a curmudgeon. Sorry.

curtis325
02-11-2018, 02:57 PM

You're right--you ARE a curmudgeon. :)

YmoBeThere
02-11-2018, 03:01 PM

Jumped the shark jumped the shark like 5 years ago...

MrPoon
02-11-2018, 03:09 PM
With Bagley out, I would think our starting lineup would still have Duval, Allen, Trent, Carter. So we will see who will start and who will come off the bench. So answer this in two ways: 1) what you want to happen 2) what you think will happen. Let's say who starts and who's first, second off the bench.

I'd like to see: Jack White start, Bolden and AOC first two guys off the bench
I think we will see: Bolden start, Javin and AOC first two guys off the bench

What say you?

I expect and hope to see Bolden start. Big opportunity for Bolden for some real burn. Plus I think AOC and White have a chance to show something to the coaching staff. I expect Carter to have a big game. Until Javin stops the cheap fouls, I don’t see him taking a ton of time from the aforementioned players. Perhaps a little rest will be good for Bagley anyway (silver lining?)

hallcity
02-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Sounds like he played through it and then it started to bother him or swell up a bit. Probably just a mild sprain but you never know. Luckily Bolden is back. May help to focus the team

I wonder how much this affected the UNC game. Bagley was relatively ineffective in the second half.

Billy Dat
02-11-2018, 03:34 PM
When life gives you lemons, make small ball. Give me AOC in the starting line-up. I bet we get Bolden with Wendell playing a more perimeter game.

weezie
02-11-2018, 04:09 PM
I wonder how much this affected the UNC game. Bagley was relatively ineffective in the second half.

Happened just before the end of the first half. Bags got slammed. No call!

Blissfully unaware refs just rolled on past that travesty in order to hustle on out to the refs beverage and rest room.
Like it or not, refs miss lots of calls. Very frustrating to then have to swallow the "protect the integrity of the game" excuse.
Same old same old.

UrinalCake
02-11-2018, 05:13 PM
I can’t imagine Javin starting, he has played maybe five total minutes since returning from injury. Bolden has looked great the last two games and I think K will want to reward him. But I agree that he and Carter are too slow of a front line together and won’t be able to guard on the perimeter so I think one of them comes out pretty quickly in place of O’Connell or White.

OZ
02-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Big night for Wendell in his Georgia homecoming.

Needs to stay out of foul trouble...

cato
02-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Vigil time?

Sadly, yes

Wheat/"/"/"
02-11-2018, 05:57 PM
I can’t imagine Javin starting, he has played maybe five total minutes since returning from injury. Bolden has looked great the last two games and I think K will want to reward him. But I agree that he and Carter are too slow of a front line together and won’t be able to guard on the perimeter so I think one of them comes out pretty quickly in place of O’Connell or White.

Duke needs to get an outside game going to have better balance with the strong inside game.

I like the looks of the O'Connell kid. He needs to get more court time and confidence out there, and he will help give more of a threat from the outside.

I'd bet K let's them shoot it more freely tonight...

Natty_B
02-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Duke beat writer: https://twitter.com/jonmalexander/status/962817239568273408?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc% 5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

Wander
02-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see us dominate with Bagley out. Bagley and Carter are our two best players, and so we should obviously play them a lot, but sometimes I wonder if our guards would perform better without two centers.

wavedukefan70s
02-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Carter is more than up for the challenge. BOLDEN steps in for 12 and 9.bank it.
heal mb3.

NYBri
02-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Doesn’t appear to be the case so far. I like the energy. Ball moving more.