PDA

View Full Version : Where is this team's swagger?

moonpie23
02-11-2018, 10:20 AM
I'm not talking about woofing after a tomahawk dunk. I'm talking about the ability take over the game, put the team on their back, demand the ball and LEAD them to victory. These young 5 star guys have been accustomed to dominating their high school opponents. Now, they're in dog fights with better competition, and they seem lost.

It seems that, for the most part, this young team has a complacency problem. I watched a lot of BB yesterday, and a lot of the top 20 teams were beaten. The underdogs had swagger and KEPT the swagger even when the game got close. The OVER dogs seemed to be glazed over watching the other team bring the fight to them so aggressively...

When i think about the swagger of Stones, Singler, Williams, Redick, Laettner, that's what i'm talking about. The guy, when the team is not getting it done, steps up and takes control. It's happened a few games, but not in the losses.

WHO is this team's "leader"?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm not talking about woofing after a tomahawk dunk. I'm talking about the ability take over the game, put the team on their back, demand the ball and LEAD them to victory. These young 5 star guys have been accustomed to dominating their high school opponents. Now, they're in dog fights with better competition, and they seem lost.

It seems that, for the most part, this young team has a complacency problem. I watched a lot of BB yesterday, and a lot of the top 20 teams were beaten. The underdogs had swagger and KEPT the swagger even when the game got close. The OVER dogs seemed to be glazed over watching the other team bring the fight to them so aggressively...

When i think about the swagger of Stones, Singler, Williams, Redick, Laettner, that's what i'm talking about. The guy, when the team is not getting it done, steps up and takes control. It's happened a few games, but not in the losses.

WHO is this team's "leader"?

I had a very similar post last week. This team needs some attitude. Not "hang on, I'm busy retweeting my dunk" attitude. But some "the name on our jersey tells you that you don't have a chance." That Redick, Laettner, Brand swagger. It isn't an upperclassmen thing. It isn't a wooing after dunks thing.

I think I tried to argue on another thread that it isn't an arrogance thing, but backed off of that. It is some arrogance. It is part of why people used to hate Duke more than they do now. It is why fans storm the court once a season. Because we expect to win games, and our opponents expect to lose.

moonpie23
02-11-2018, 10:28 AM
"the name on our jersey tells you that you don't have a chance."

precisely.......i remember when teams feared our defense.....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2018, 10:31 AM
precisely....i remember when teams feared our defense....

I still fear our defense!

Sixthman
02-11-2018, 11:06 AM
I had a very similar post last week. This team needs some attitude. Not "hang on, I'm busy retweeting my dunk" attitude. But some "the name on our jersey tells you that you don't have a chance." That Redick, Laettner, Brand swagger. It isn't an upperclassmen thing. It isn't a wooing after dunks thing.

I think I tried to argue on another thread that it isn't an arrogance thing, but backed off of that. It is some arrogance. It is part of why people used to hate Duke more than they do now. It is why fans storm the court once a season. Because we expect to win games, and our opponents expect to lose.

I cannot agree more that this is an important element that is missing. But part of this kind of swagger is about being a step ahead of the competition, knowing that you're going to be outworking the opponent, having a better understanding of game situation, always knowing where your advantages lie given the matchups, knowing when to push the ball up court and take a quick open three and when to make sure five guys touch the ball before making a play. By and large, the characteristics which would be the foundation of this kind of swagger don't exist for this team. We have more talent than the opponent, but we are not out hustling them. We have more athleticism, but we are not combining that with on court basketball IQ. This is what Coach K means when he says we are not playing like Duke.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-11-2018, 01:38 PM
“Duke Basketball” is currently missing from this team.

Emotion, Leadership, Intensity, Teamwork, Excellence (ELITE)

The 2015 team found it in March and dominated the NCAAT at a historic level.

Time is still left for this team to dig deep, come together, and curb-stomp the competition. They certainly have the talent to do so.

We’ll find out soon enough.