PDA

View Full Version : Why Duval needs to run point -

gofurman
02-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Grayson Allen had 9 points tonight against North Carolina. Duke is 3-4 when Allen is held to single digits and 16-1 when he scores at least 10 points. Allen is shooting 26.4 percent in Duke's five losses this season.

Grayson scores.. .Duke wins. Grayson can't look for his shot when he's running the point

Troublemaker
02-09-2018, 11:42 AM
This makes 3 new Trevon threads that probably should've been folded into the postgame thread. :-)

In any case, I agree with keeping Grayson off the ball. It sounds like Coach K agrees, too, based on the postgame presser.

dukebluesincebirth
02-09-2018, 11:52 AM
I agree that Grayson at the point is not the answer for this team. At the same time, Trevon has to be better. He's so naturally fast, he doesn't reallly need to be in 5th gear all the time. His 4th gear is just as fast as most players' 5th gear. His 4th gear doesn't cost him much in the way of speed, but it greatly helps him stay under control. When he dribbles full speed ahead, he reminds me of Grayson's old bull-in-a-china shop drive. Very difficult to make smart, sound decisions with the ball when moving at that 5th gear rate of speed. He's blessed to be hyper-athletic, he just needs to calm down a bit. I have a feeling he's been told this, but when you've played a certain way your whole life, it's much easier said than done. He has to keep working on playing under control. If he can improve, we have a chance to be really good come March. If not, well...

ipatent
02-09-2018, 03:24 PM
It looks like Grayson's wrist is injured and that it affects his shot, but not his ball handling or passing. K may feel that the team is best off given the situation to have the ball in his hands. Duval isn't a shooter but his drives to the hoop loosen up the defense when he's on.

gep
02-10-2018, 11:26 PM
I agree that Grayson at the point is not the answer for this team. At the same time, Trevon has to be better. He's so naturally fast, he doesn't reallly need to be in 5th gear all the time. His 4th gear is just as fast as most players' 5th gear. His 4th gear doesn't cost him much in the way of speed, but it greatly helps him stay under control. When he dribbles full speed ahead, he reminds me of Grayson's old bull-in-a-china shop drive. Very difficult to make smart, sound decisions with the ball when moving at that 5th gear rate of speed. He's blessed to be hyper-athletic, he just needs to calm down a bit. I have a feeling he's been told this, but when you've played a certain way your whole life, it's much easier said than done. He has to keep working on playing under control. If he can improve, we have a chance to be really good come March. If not, well...

Is this something that on-court communication can help???

YmoBeThere
02-11-2018, 05:18 AM

Are you sure he doesn't drive a six speed?