PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Player Poll - Dawkins vs. Brickey

JasonEvans
10-25-2007, 09:46 AM
This is the matchup of our #4 and #29 seeds. While I love Robert Brickey and still feel we would have won a national title if he did not get hurt against Seton Hall, I have a feeling this one is a blow out.

-Jason

dukeENG2003
10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
did Brickey ever graduate? I remember there being much controversy about the 1990 banner b/c of it, but never knew if he actually finished or not?

EarlJam
10-25-2007, 10:07 AM
did Brickey ever graduate? I remember there being much controversy about the 1990 banner b/c of it, but never knew if he actually finished or not?

Not sure about the graduation status, but whenever I think Brickey, I think Seton Hall and the '89 tournament. Had he not gotten injured, Duke might very well have won the whole thing.

-EarlJam

dukestheheat
10-25-2007, 10:28 AM
brick's dunk i still talk about still is able to give me the goose bumps. i'll never forget that.

dth.

Karl Beem
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Hahahaha.

throatybeard
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I think the last of the 1990s to graduate was Phil Henderson (2000). Brickey had before that.

I'm probably one of the few to vote for Brickey in this one.

The Gordog
10-25-2007, 11:27 AM
I think the last of the 1990s to graduate was Phil Henderson (2000). Brickey had before that.

I'm probably one of the few to vote for Brickey in this one.

I love Brickey, and I agree that we would have won it all in 1989 had he been healthy, but I am just baffled how anyone can vote against Johnny. Did you not see him play?!?

throatybeard
10-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Of course I saw Dawkins play. I'd put Brickey about 3rd on my list and Johnny about 6th. I didn't make the bracket.

Jfrosh
10-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Oh man. I was wanting Brickey to go far. He was one of my all time favorites, and personally a good guy. But JD is a god and I may vote for him to go all the way. Sorry Robert.

Fish80
10-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Brickey was so much fun to watch. Do I remember this right, didn't he play a few games in the 5 spot? Amazing athlete.

But how can you vote against Johnny D!

The Gordog
10-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Of course I saw Dawkins play. I'd put Brickey about 3rd on my list and Johnny about 6th. I didn't make the bracket.

Sorry, man. That was a rhetorical question. I apologize for being so unable to communicate more effectively.

JasonEvans
10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Even I did not expect this one to be this much of a blowout. IMO, this shows how strong a chance JD has to win it all. Brickey was a special player and bloved by many fans. For JD to be over 92% against him is really impressive.

--Jason "I think the winner of JD and Hurley or CWell will make the finals from this side of the bracket" Evans

mapei
10-25-2007, 10:23 PM
I think JD, who got my vote, is really helped in the poll by his continuing presence on the Duke bench. We're reminded of him every time we see Duke play.

cspan37421
10-25-2007, 11:05 PM
This is and should be a no-contest, even aside from stats. Robert could sky, certainly, but JD was no slouch in the vertical leap dept.

RB had the best dunk against UNC - almost horizontal at 10' level - called a charge. BS, I've played it back again and he was blocked. In any case, called off or not, it was the best I've ever seen, including Phil's against 'Zo and JD's reverse slam vs. Navy.

But JD is my fave of the 2. He had a better jump shot, better slash moves, and he could consistently deliver. Yes, Brickey was more exciting at times, but to me, the poll is for favorite player, not player with the best face-melting dunk. If it were for acrobatic dunks it would be Brickey and GHill neck and neck. But player - JD was all that and more.

dukemomLA
10-26-2007, 05:24 AM
Is there any question? J. Dawkins was the first major recruit of the Coach K. era. He propelled our school into an elite program once again. And also he has proven to be a GREAT recruiter and has not left Duke after many offers for other coaching jobs that seemed lesser than his role here.

I am concerned (...for the future) about his truly soft-spoken manner, and haven't heard much from players (current and former) about that. And I'd love to hear from feedback from our "experts" -- Watzone, Moderators, Telep, etc. (...and my humble apology to others who I have forgotten at this late hour). Posts here will be read with intense interest.

dukestheheat
10-26-2007, 09:38 AM
cspan3741-

i spoke to brickey some time after he left duke about that dunk you mention over at carolina; certainly, he remembered it.

i told him he did NOT travel on that play (the ref waved it off, saying he'd travelled while loading up for that totally athletic play) and i'd reviewed it over and over again on the tape.

he said he didn't think he'd walked either, and in fact his roommate at duke had taped the game and that night, after he got back from the hill, they watched the replays at home clearly showing he hadn't walked.

that was an amazing leap and move on brick's part.

dth.

dukestheheat
10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
and, i had to vote for Brick b/c we were at Duke during the same time; JD was right before.

JD was certainly the greater impact playa but hey, we gotta give Brick some love!

dth.