PDA

View Full Version : Trevon Duval dunk top 10?

rthomas
02-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Damn. There have been many, but Trevon that was awesome.

snewman92
02-08-2018, 08:43 PM
agreed--a thing of beauty and power.

Steven43
02-08-2018, 09:23 PM
One of the most savage and spectacular dunks I have seen on the college level. Just awesome.

elvis14
02-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Don't care, we lost

pamtar
02-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Trevon Duval turnovers top 10?

eddiehaskell
02-08-2018, 10:41 PM
Nice dunk but still just 2 points. Put that energy into not letting Kenny Williams splash six 3s.

Furniture
02-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Don't care, we lost

boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Furniture
02-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Nice dunk but still just 2 points. Put that energy into not letting Kenny Williams splash six 3s.

I am a wanker.

elvis14
02-08-2018, 10:46 PM
boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

I know, sorry, I'm very pissed off.

proelitedota
02-09-2018, 01:29 AM

You should tell that to Allen.

Acymetric
02-09-2018, 01:45 AM
Duval certainly thought so ;)

(Sorry, just stirring the pot!)

91_92_01_10_15
02-09-2018, 08:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTBTqdFjtIs

Not as good as a win, certainly, but it sure is tasty.

Billy Dat
02-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Duval certainly thought so ;)

(Sorry, just stirring the pot!)

@BlueDevilNation
It is probably not a great idea to retweet personal highlights when you just lost a game to a rival

You can see the retweet at @DatGuy_Trey and all the grief he got from fans for it.

CDu
02-09-2018, 10:39 AM
@BlueDevilNation
It is probably not a great idea to retweet personal highlights when you just lost a game to a rival

You can see the retweet at @DatGuy_Trey and all the grief he got from fans for it.

Yeah, not a good decision by him at all. Especially at that time. I would expect some discipline for that. I am sure he didn't mean it this way (more likely he just wasn't thinking about the appearance of it), but it wreaks of "me above the team". You just don't celebrate fairly meaningless individual accomplishments on the night of a loss to your biggest rival.

AZLA
02-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Just as impressive is how he split two defenders off the dribble, first, to get some runway to take off for that spectacular dunk. He basically neutralized 3 good defenders on his own, in one progression. Yah, he will make some bad passes from time-to-time, but he played with intensity and assertiveness. If he is free to just be himself, his upside is greater than his downside. On the defensive end he did a decent job trying to stop the dribble penetration. He got a few fouls but that’s how the whistle is gonna blow for the home team. I think Duke should run uptempo more with him.

Duke95
02-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Yeah, not a good decision by him at all. Especially at that time. I would expect some discipline for that. I am sure he didn't mean it this way (more likely he just wasn't thinking about the appearance of it), but it wreaks of "me above the team". You just don't celebrate fairly meaningless individual accomplishments on the night of a loss to your biggest rival.

Why would Duval or any OAD player really care about Duke's "biggest rival"? Honestly, I don't fault Duval at all. He's building his brand, which is entirely rational. He's advertising his athletic ability to prospective employers. Every other student does that. He doesn't owe fans anything.

ipatent
02-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Celebrating dunks after a loss is not up to program standards, IMO.

CDu
02-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Why would Duval or any OAD player really care about Duke's "biggest rival"? Honestly, I don't fault Duval at all. He's building his brand, which is entirely rational. He's advertising his athletic ability to prospective employers. Every other student does that. He doesn't owe fans anything.

Putting yourself above the team isn't a good way to sell yourself to the NBA.

And nowhere did I say he owes me anything. But, sure, feel free champion a cause that nobody is fighting against.

All I said is that, as a member of a basketball team, it is not a good look to celebrate your individual achievements in the immediate aftermath of your team's loss to its biggest rival. Arguing that he doesn't care about the rivalry isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of him as a teammate. Coach K cares. Grayson Allen cares. He doesn't owe it to you or me not to do what he did. He owes it to THEM not to do that.

And I suspect that he'll get punished for it.

Is it the end of the world? No. Was it a good idea from a team/teammate perspective? No. Will it get punished by the team? Probably.

Ian
02-09-2018, 12:28 PM

He's building his brand at the cost of Duke's brand. Now I agree he doesn't have an obligation to protect the Duke brand, that's K's job, K needs to do what has to be done to protect the Duke brand.

CDu
02-09-2018, 12:32 PM
He's building his brand at the cost of Duke's brand. Now I agree he doesn't have an obligation to protect the Duke brand, that's K's job, K needs to do what has to be done to protect the Duke brand.

Exactly. He is a Duke player. He represents Duke basketball on a national stage. His actions (good or bad) reflect on Duke basketball.

He doesn't have to care about that. But if he doesn't, (a) that's a poor reflection on him as a teammate, and (b) there can still be consequences.

[Full disclosure: I don't think Duval is a bad teammate, nor do I think he doesn't care about Duke. I think he made a mistake and wasn't thinking it through when he did it, which is common among teenagers. My comments are more in response to the "why should he care? he did nothing wrong" post]

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2018, 12:47 PM

I think it's impossible for any freshman to be prepared for the first UNC game. I also think it's impossible for it to "matter" as much to a player who hasn't been living it for a few years the way an upperclassman has.

Obviously, that doesn't mean that an 18 year old kid can't come out and perform, but I don't think it's reasonable for us to expect the same level of rival-based intensity from our freshmen.

gocanes0506
02-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Don't care, we lost

Im a big proponent of this. Basketball culture cares about poster dunks over the score. I don’t get it myself. Good dunk and all but it is meaningless.

CDu
02-09-2018, 12:52 PM
I think it's impossible for any freshman to be prepared for the first UNC game. I also think it's impossible for it to "matter" as much to a player who hasn't been living it for a few years the way an upperclassman has.

Obviously, that doesn't mean that an 18 year old kid can't come out and perform, but I don't think it's reasonable for us to expect the same level of rival-based intensity from our freshmen.

I totally agree with this. That said, that isn't the issue here. The issue is that he retweeted a clip of his dunk in the immediate aftermath of the team's loss. Not a good look from a team perspective.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2018, 12:54 PM
I totally agree with this. That said, that isn't the issue here. The issue is that he retweeted a clip of his dunk in the immediate aftermath of the team's loss. Not a good look from a team perspective.

I agree completely. I wasn't even commenting on the dunk and the aftermath, because it's all already been said. Yup, nice dunk. Doesn't matter. Poor form to yap about it online after a loss.

Rich
02-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Celebrating dunks after a loss is not up to program standards, IMO.

Putting yourself above the team isn't a good way to sell yourself to the NBA.

And nowhere did I say he owes me anything. But, sure, feel free champion a cause that nobody is fighting against.

All I said is that, as a member of a basketball team, it is not a good look to celebrate your individual achievements in the immediate aftermath of your team's loss to its biggest rival. Arguing that he doesn't care about the rivalry isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of him as a teammate. Coach K cares. Grayson Allen cares. He doesn't owe it to you or me not to do what he did. He owes it to THEM not to do that.

And I suspect that he'll get punished for it.

Is it the end of the world? No. Was it a good idea from a team/teammate perspective? No. Will it get punished by the team? Probably.

Exactly. He is a Duke player. He represents Duke basketball on a national stage. His actions (good or bad) reflect on Duke basketball.

He doesn't have to care about that. But if he doesn't, (a) that's a poor reflection on him as a teammate, and (b) there can still be consequences.

[Full disclosure: I don't think Duval is a bad teammate, nor do I think he doesn't care about Duke. I think he made a mistake and wasn't thinking it through when he did it, which is common among teenagers. My comments are more in response to the "why should he care? he did nothing wrong" post]

I agree completely. I wasn't even commenting on the dunk and the aftermath, because it's all already been said. Yup, nice dunk. Doesn't matter. Poor form to yap about it online after a loss.

I get that he's only 18 and all, but I think the bigger issue is how does he not know that he's not supposed to do something like that? I mean, that shows an extreme lack of judgment and common sense.

CDu
02-09-2018, 01:36 PM
I get that he's only 18 and all, but I think the bigger issue is how does he not know that he's not supposed to do something like that? I mean, that shows an extreme lack of judgment and common sense.

Kids do dumb things. It is not the first time that a teenager showed a serious lack of judgment and common sense.

Hell, I'm reminded of a rec league softball game I played a few years back. We lost in the championship game, in a heartbreaker. And as we were leaving the field, one of my teammates said (with the guy who made the last out with runners on and the top of our order coming up), "just saying, I went 4 for 4 today". He didn't mean it maliciously, and probably didn't even realize the significance of the comment. But it pissed me off, and pissed off the guy who was still stewing about making the season-ending out 10 times more. Just a totally tone-deaf me-first comment. Had he realized what he was saying, he probably wouldn't have said it. But he was a 22-year-old kid, and wasn't thinking.

I still remember that, and it was a rec league softball game. I can't imagine how irritated a senior Grayson Allen might be about essentially the same thing.

Again, I definitely don't think Duval is a me-first guy. I definitely don't think he isn't all-in with the team. But he didn't make a good decision, likely because he wasn't thinking about his actions. He's a kid, and kids make mistakes. But it definitely was a mistake. And he'll probably get penalized for it.

DukeTrinity11
02-09-2018, 02:03 PM
Why he isn't supposed to do something like that? All he did was retweet a SportsCenter mention of his dunk clip which made the show's infamous Top 10 segment. That's a really cool moment for Duval. Not everybody gets on SportsCenter. It's a dream for most kids who played any sort of organized sport in high school.

We can agree to disagree but I find it strange how some of you can't celebrate an individual accomplishment within the context of a team sport. If anything, Duval's SportsCenter Top 10 dunk enhanced Duke's brand because it showcased the type of athletes we have on the team.

I can't believe we're dogging on an 18 year old who simply retweeted a widely known social mention of himself. I guess he should have pretended it never happened just so "the optics" look better to please some of ya'll. This is a new low for DBR.

I hope seeing that dunk again postgame builds some mojo and confidence for Tricky Tre because if Duke is going to cut down the nets this year, its because Duval reached his ceiling in March.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Why he isn't supposed to do something like that? All he did was retweet a SportsCenter mention of his dunk clip which made the show's infamous Top 10 segment. That's a really cool moment for Duval. Not everybody gets on SportsCenter. It's a dream for most kids who played any sort of organized sport in high school.

We can agree to disagree but I find it strange how some of you can't celebrate an individual accomplishment within the context of a team sport. If anything, Duval's SportsCenter Top 10 dunk enhanced Duke's brand because it showcased the type of athletes we have on the team.

I can't believe we're dogging on an 18 year old who simply retweeted a widely known social mention of himself. I guess he should have pretended it never happened just so "the optics" look better to please some of ya'll. This is a new low for DBR.

I hope seeing that dunk again postgame builds some mojo and confidence for Tricky Tre because if Duke is going to cut down the nets this year, its because Duval reached his ceiling in March.

Well, you certainly get points for an original take on it.

sagegrouse
02-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Anyone here want to have their moments of bad behavior as an 18 year-old recorded and played back for the world to see? Modern technology makes it possible for this generation.

flyingdutchdevil
02-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Anyone here want to have their moments of bad behavior as an 18 year-old recorded and played back for the world to see? Modern technology makes it possible for this generation.

And because it's possible, these kids get told all the time to watch out and be thoughtful.

New era, new guidelines.

CDu
02-09-2018, 02:24 PM

I was too busy making crappy mixtapes for my on-and-off "love of my life at the time" girlfriend. Most of the stupid stuff I did wouldn't have been able to be texted or video'd (at least not easily):
- Jumping off bridges (though I have a sweet picture of this)
- Taking turns driving my friend's dad's car 100+ mph (often with one friend standing up out the top of the convertible)
- "Mudding" (if you don't know, it's a terrible way to treat your parents' vehicles)

Yeah, teenagers are dumb.

[note to self: my 3-year-old son is already long-jumping off his slide. FML in about 10-15 years]

rthomas
02-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Well, you certainly get points for an original take on it.

I happen to agree with DukeTrinity11. It was an awesome dunk. We lost the game but it doesn't discount the dunk. Trevon should celebrate it, and I for one would like to see him dunk like that more often. And it was about the only good highlight from last night.

You guys dissing one of our young players ain't right. My god, you who are criticizing Trevon stood up more for the tripping incidents by Grayson than Tre showing a highlight dunk. That is not right.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2018, 07:15 PM
My god, you who are criticizing Trevon stood up more for the tripping incidents by Grayson than Tre showing a highlight dunk. That is not right.

Not me. I hold Grayson accountable for his actions as well. You are welcome to read my posts from last year. But I certainly do appreciate the assumption.

freshmanjs
02-09-2018, 08:08 PM
24 hours later and he’s still liking and retweeting the dunk.

rsvman
02-09-2018, 08:34 PM
In fairness, it was a pretty awesome dunk.

grad_devil
02-09-2018, 08:44 PM

I think it would probably bother less people if he liked/retested them 24 hours later. What ruffled the most feathers, IMHO, is that he was doing it 5 minutes after the final horn.

DukeDevilDeb
02-09-2018, 08:51 PM
This was the single most unfortunate score of the game. Yes, in isolation, it is great. But its consequences weren't. It hyped Duval up (as we have seen happen several times when he's driven and scored) and it gave him permission to try other things because, after all, if the dunk worked, so should be other shots, the passes, the barely defensive plays and so on.

The problems this season aren't all Duval's fault. Nothing is ever completely on one player. But as a point guard, he is a good shooting guard. I have seen him bring the ball down the court, with Grayson in the corner waiting for a pass and an open 3 (when he could still hit the 3s predictably), and Duval rarely saw him and used that opportunity. He hasn't even done a good job at getting the ball inside. For that, Trent is actually considerably better.

I am devastated by the number of players we lost after last season (why, oh why didn't I fail Matt or Amile in something that would have prevented their graduation!?!?!? ;) ... and Duval got a lot of hype as being FINALLY the point guard we haven't had for several years. But he isn't. Not critical... just not his strength.

Tyus, come back! OH, wait... we get someone like Tyus next year. I, for one, can't wait. But I do not like the fact that many of the kids leave after one year. I used to be so proud that our kids graduated and had a degree that, when their NBA careers didn't work out (listening, Jason Williams?!), they could get good jobs and use their minds as well as their bodies.

Next play. I don't want to beat this dead horse any more.

Go Devils!

CDu
02-09-2018, 09:05 PM
I think it would probably bother less people if he liked/retested them 24 hours later. What ruffled the most feathers, IMHO, is that he was doing it 5 minutes after the final horn.

This. Time and place.

sagegrouse
02-09-2018, 09:24 PM
I have a suggestion: Buy a bunch of Yondr bags.- Lock up the players' mobile phones when the bus leaves Durham or the hotel and unlock them when the team leaves the locker room 30 minutes after the game. Here's the thread. (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?41357-Former-Duke-soccer-player-goes-low-tech&highlight=yondr)

Duke95
02-09-2018, 10:03 PM

I doubt the team really cares. Only fans seem to get wound up about it.

Not sure how exactly what he did somehow detracts from Duke's brand, but whatever. As I said, fans seem to think Duke players should be as invested as they are in beating UNC, which is laughable given the fact that we're recruiting players who are on campus for 8 months.

CDu
02-09-2018, 10:14 PM

Not sure how exactly what he did somehow detracts from Duke's brand, but whatever. As I said, fans seem to think Duke players should be as invested as they are in beating UNC, which is laughable given the fact that we're recruiting players who are on campus for 8 months.

I bet they care. Well, at least the veterans. Rivalry or not, team comes before individual. One shouldn’t be texting one’s individual highlights minutes after one’s team lost. It goes against the entire concept of the team, and what Coach K stands for. There is a time and place to celebrate one’s individual accomplishments. 5 minutes after your team lost is not that time and place.

Also, I don’t think anyone has said that freshman players should be as invested in the rivalry as fans. Or even as invested as veterans. You are deriding a position that nobody is taking.

brevity
02-09-2018, 10:21 PM
OH, wait... we get someone like Tyus next year. I, for one, can't wait.

You may be right, but on the other hand...

Jason Capel.
Billy Carter.
Frank Stallone.

You're not the first person to have this sentiment, so I wish to speak generally. If you desire a season of stress and anxiety stemming from unreasonable expectations, then anticipating Tre Jones as the Second Coming of the Selective Memory of Tyus Jones is the way to go.

Troublemaker
02-09-2018, 10:51 PM

That's completely dumb. The players and coaches who are actually IN the competition have much more invested than us silly fans.

For example, this beat writer was in the locker room last night:

Shawn Krest‏Verified account @ShawnKrest (https://twitter.com/ShawnKrest) Feb 8 (https://twitter.com/ShawnKrest/status/961800166943715328)
Duke locker room looked like post NCAA loss. Lots of guys on brink of tears

Everyone needs to stop thinking that these guys don't care.

Duke95
02-09-2018, 11:14 PM
That's completely dumb. The players and coaches who are actually IN the competition have much more invested than us silly fans.

Shawn Krest‏Verified account @ShawnKrest (https://twitter.com/ShawnKrest) Feb 8 (https://twitter.com/ShawnKrest/status/961800166943715328)

I said that I doubt the other players cared about the fact that Duval posted his dunk. I'm sure they cared about the loss. It's really quite humorous to watch some of you get all worked up over a kid posting a dunk. Comical, in fact.

Steven43
02-10-2018, 10:24 AM
It’s this generation’s way of doing things. It just is.

Duke95
02-10-2018, 10:41 AM
It’s this generation’s way of doing things. It just is.

Not to get off topic here, but I don't think the previous generation has any room to blame this generation for anything.

Neals384
02-10-2018, 10:50 AM
I'd be ok with the retweet if the rest of his play was anywhere near that level.

Stray Gator
02-10-2018, 11:17 AM
You may dismiss me as a dinosaur, and may suggest that my standards of conduct should be relegated to a museum, but I still maintain that when you are part of a team that just lost a game, bragging about your individual performance or promoting your own highlight is, at best, unseemly. To engage in attention-seeking boastfulness when your teammates in the locker room are, according to one description, so despondent about the loss that they are close to tears, is behavior that I find difficult to reconcile with the concept of "Brotherhood."

arnie
02-10-2018, 11:29 AM
You may dismiss me as a dinosaur, and may suggest that my standards of conduct should be relegated to a museum, but I still maintain that when you are part of a team that just lost a game, bragging about your individual performance or promoting your own highlight is, at best, unseemly. To engage in attention-seeking boastfulness when your teammates in the locker room are, according to one description, so despondent about the loss that they are close to tears, is behavior that I find difficult to reconcile with the concept of "Brotherhood."

Another dinosaur agrees with you. Certainly Duval is not the only player that would do that after a loss; but I wish he hadn’t. This team seems to lose focus/concentration during games more than others; could it be too much focus on June 21?

moonpie23
02-10-2018, 11:36 AM
You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Stray Gator again.

CDu
02-10-2018, 11:40 AM
I said that I doubt the other players cared about the fact that Duval posted his dunk. I'm sure they cared about the loss.

Actually, you specifically downplayed how much the freshmen would care about the rivalry. The tweet seems to differ with that. Seems like the team cared a lot about the rivalry.

It's really quite humorous to watch some of you get all worked up over a kid posting a dunk. Comical, in fact.

I guess I'm happy for you that you are amused by something.

Not to get off topic here, but I don't think the previous generation has any room to blame this generation for anything.

I'm glad we have someone as woke as you to keep us 30-something (and older) folks in line.

DukeDevilDeb
02-10-2018, 11:41 AM
You may be right, but on the other hand...

Jason Capel.
Billy Carter.
Frank Stallone.

You're not the first person to have this sentiment, so I wish to speak generally. If you desire a season of stress and anxiety stemming from unreasonable expectations, then anticipating Tre Jones as the Second Coming of the Selective Memory of Tyus Jones is the way to go.

As a scholar who studies sibling relationships, I know that you are exactly right. But dreaming isn't all bad... :)

Go Devils!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Sporks. Well articulated.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Stray, not only did he lack an understanding of why you don't post a highlight like that right after a loss, inside word is that Duvall started chirping at Berry after that dunk...big mistake your freshman made early in a game like that.

DaleDuke7
02-10-2018, 12:40 PM

For full disclosure, also from @ShawnKrest:

“Trevon Duval was not one of them”

Personally, I’m somewhere in the middle in all of this. Retweeting his dunk at that time was a very bad look. It was stupid, and as someone said up thread, lacked comman sense. But I don’t think there’s a big “me first” underlying issue like many do. I think Trevon is out there trying to win. I think he tries to make the right decisions on the court. I don’t see him take bad, selfish shots or plays very often at all. He may be wrong from time to time, but he’s a freshman. And let’s be honest, there are very few Tyus Jones’ out there. And Trevon is not of that same cloth. He still has a plethora of potential though, and this Duke team is at its best when Trevon plays to his capability. This team needs him.

CDu
02-10-2018, 12:50 PM
For full disclosure, also from @ShawnKrest:

“Trevon Duval was not one of them”

Personally, I’m somewhere in the middle in all of this. Retweeting his dunk at that time was a very bad look. It was stupid, and as someone said up thread, lacked comman sense. But I don’t think there’s a big “me first” underlying issue like many do. I think Trevon is out there trying to win. I think he tries to make the right decisions on the court. I don’t see him take bad, selfish shots or plays very often at all. He may be wrong from time to time, but he’s a freshman. And let’s be honest, there are very few Tyus Jones’ out there. And Trevon is not of that same cloth. He still has a plethora of potential though, and this Duke team is at its best when Trevon plays to his capability. This team needs him.

I don't think anyone is saying that Duval is a "me first" problem-child type of guy. The folks who are against the retweet immediately postgame are pretty much all saying that (a) it wasn't a "team-first" thing to do, (b) it goes against what Duke and the team stand for, but most importantly (c) it was most likely just a moment of not thinking about the implications of his actions by a teenager.

Kids make mistakes. This wasn't a good example of judgement on Duval's part. But I am more than happy to believe it just a brief error in judgement and not something more. And in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot bigger mistakes made in life. But at the same time, it was still a mistake to do it at that time, and he will probably receive some sort of punishment from the coaching staff for it.

Nobody is dissing the kid in this thread. Nobody is bashing his character, bashing today's youth (in fact, pretty much everyone is saying that teenagers throughout the history of time do dumb things sometimes). Just noting that it wasn't a good look, it was a mistake, and he'll probably receive some minor discipline for it.

Steven43
02-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Wait, so you honestly don’t think that kids from Duval’s generation are more likely to post attention-seeking things about themselves on the internet than are people from previous generations? You’re kidding, right?

jv001
02-10-2018, 01:38 PM
You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Stray Gator again.

I took care of that for you.

I think part of the reason Duval did what he did was 1) that's what most youngsters in this age of "look at me" do. 2) I don't believe Trevon has yet realized how important he is to Duke's ultimate success(NCAAT). He is the single most important player that needs to improve his game because of the position he plays.

Like others have posted, I think he will hear about the incident from the coaching staff. It ain't over.

GoDuke!

Wander
02-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Wait, so you honestly don’t think that kids from Duval’s generation are more likely to post attention-seeking things about themselves on the internet than are people from previous generations?

"People in the 1700's never complained about airport security. What's wrong with people today, and why can't they just get in line?"

"I don't understand why we have so many drunk driving accidents. I did some research, and found out that fatal car crashes involving alcohol were at least 30% less likely in the middle ages. I'm not saying things were better back then, but we've lost something."

"I can't remember anyone being so mean on twitter when I was a child. That app has really changed."

-Steven43, probably