PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #104 - I interviewed Jon Scheyer!!!

JasonEvans
02-06-2018, 12:51 AM
https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-104-a-conversation-with-jon-scheyer-and-a-loss-to-st-john

0:00 Byrd Campbell, the Duke legal eagles
0:30 What did Donald, Jason, and Sam think about the Super Bowl?
3:00 Sam tells a story about the most evil Duke professor of all time.
4:00 We lost to St. John… Sam is frustrated at the turnovers.
6:05 Jason calls out a specific player who is struggling and then turns to our D, which was really bad.
10:40 Donald says the intensity was really lacking and thinks that was the root of all of our problems.
12:04 We talk about Coach K’s scathing post-game comments and speculate about what changes are coming to the team.
15:35 Donald brings up a few positives, including the performances of Carter and Bolden.
17:25 We spend a little time trying to figure out what is wrong with Bagley’s game.
21:30 Again, thanks to Byrd Campbell for supporting the podcast.
22:10 A special guest joins the podcast. Jason interviews Duke coach Jon Scheyer!!
23:50 Scheyer tells the story of his baby girl being born during the Notre Dame game.
25:30 Scheyer talks about the youth of the players and how it has impacted their ability to gel as a team.
26:45 Jason asks about the moments that have really impressed Jon.
27:50 Scheyer refuses to take Jason’s bait when asked to look ahead to the NCAA tourney.
29:15 Zone or man2man, which does Scheyer prefer?
31:55 Scheyer talks about what he does to help guards develop.
33:20 Jason wants to know more about the stunning recruiting run Duke has been on lately.
35:25 Scheyer looks back on his 2010 national title… and how the growth of Brian Zoubek changed that team’s fate.
38:20 Scheyer reveals his key to winning basketball… play with Nolan Smith!
39:50 Jason asks for Jon’s best Coach K motivational story.
42:15 Scheyer tells us fans what we should watch to be smarter about basketball.
44:25 We react to the interview and complement Scheyer on being candid and insightful.
48:40 Time for our UNC preview. Jason begins by talking about what Carolina does well on defense (rebound) and what they don’t (guarding the 3).
53:15 Sam looks at what Carolina does well on offense (rebound) and says we must stop Luke Maye.
55:45 Donald looks at the intangibles and says hustle plays will be huge!
57:50 Jason says these two teams are each desperate for a win.
59:45 Donald says this is a moment to see if this Duke team really is the team we had expected.
1:02:30 Player of the week… three different choices.
1:05:00 Parting Shot – Jason tips his cap to Tide laundry detergent.
1:06:55 Parting Shot – Sam is excited about all the new listeners. We love y’all!!
1:07:30 Parting Shot – Donald talks about his really cool black history month project for USA Soccer.
1:09:05 We take a side track to talk about the horrible Dodge Ram ad with Dr. Martin Luther King.
1:12:35 Good bye and Duke band!!

blazindw
02-06-2018, 12:57 AM
As mentioned at the end of the episode, I'm doing a project over at Stars and Stripes FC (https://www.starsandstripesfc.com) for Black History Month, where I write a story every day on black soccer history, whether it's a moment or a player. Would love for you all to check it out (https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/black-history-month), and again, I'll be posting something everyday this month!

Billy Dat
02-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Nice Scheyer interview, guys. His insights into this year's team defense are most welcomed. Obviously, he doesn't say too much, but it's always good to get the perspective of the coaches.

DukieInBrasil
02-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Y'all are racking up the big names!!! That was a great interview with Scheyer btw. It's always nice to hear thoughtful responses from sports figures. Usually we hear players the moment after a game is over or in the locker room and those comments are usually not very interesting. But as a coach, and not in the moment, his answers really showed insight to his human nature. Great observations, and an obviously intelligent dude.

Otherwise, the recap of the St Johns game was good, truly a putrid performance, deserving of every bit of anti-praise K gave them.

Saratoga2
02-06-2018, 06:19 PM
Calling out Duval for his lack of performance for much of the game was harsh. He did show he has what it takes to be a scorer who can breakdown the defense. His problem seems to be he is very turnover prone with careless handle and a tendency to try to make the spectacular play which gets him into trouble. His defense was also poor but he has the tools to be good. I personally thought Grayson was also careless with the ball at times. The team had 16 TO's and as you pointed out, that led to us having many less shots and set us up for that bad loss.
Coach K played mainly the top 5 with Bolden getting in for some good minutes. The guards got no rest at all. There was no comment about the lack of rest. I noted in the Oklahoma/WVA game, the announcers were going on as to how the Oklahoma guard was playing 35 minutes on average and that was wearing him down. What if any opinion do you have on PT as Duke does have other guards and small forwards?

Rich
02-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Nice Scheyer interview, guys. His insights into this year's team defense are most welcomed. Obviously, he doesn't say too much, but it's always good to get the perspective of the coaches.

I have to admit it was the first time I listened to one of your podcasts, but was very impressed. I was interested in hearing what Scheyer had to say. His comments about condensing defense training into one year and how he didn't really feel totally comfortable with the defensive schemes until he was an upperclassman speaks volumes. More fodder for the one-and-done critics for sure and it shows how challenging it is to teach team defense even though these kids are such great athletes.

JasonEvans
02-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Calling out Duval for his lack of performance for much of the game was harsh. He did show he has what it takes to be a scorer who can breakdown the defense. His problem seems to be he is very turnover prone with careless handle and a tendency to try to make the spectacular play which gets him into trouble. His defense was also poor but he has the tools to be good. I personally thought Grayson was also careless with the ball at times. The team had 16 TO's and as you pointed out, that led to us having many less shots and set us up for that bad loss.
Coach K played mainly the top 5 with Bolden getting in for some good minutes. The guards got no rest at all. There was no comment about the lack of rest. I noted in the Oklahoma/WVA game, the announcers were going on as to how the Oklahoma guard was playing 35 minutes on average and that was wearing him down. What if any opinion do you have on PT as Duke does have other guards and small forwards?

Thanks, Saratoga. I stand by my comments that Duval's play has been particularly vexing lately and that we should not let the fact that he becomes a scoring weapon in spurts overshadow the fact that he is doing a wretched job of initiating the offense the other 90% of the game and that he is continually getting wrecked on defense.

As for the minute debate, the one thing I would note is that Duke consistently plays better down the stretch, in the final 10 minutes of games, versus how they play in the first 30. If the team was wearing down from playing extended minutes, one would expect the exact opposite to happen. That said, I would very much be in favor of seeing Duke use the backcourt bench a bit more as that would likely mean more time for Alex O'Connell, the best 3 point shooter on the team, and I think floor spacing is one of our major issues this season.

-Jason "I think O'Connell has been sick lately, which is why his playing time has declined. I hope he is now better and can give us 10 solid minutes against a Carolina team that really struggles to guard the 3 point line this week" Evans

UrinalCake
02-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Really enjoyed the comment by Scheyer that while the zone defense has appeared to be more effective, that is skewed by the fact that it is being used as a change of pace to disrupt the other team. In other words, if we played zone for the entire game (as many on this board have been calling for) then it would lose its effectiveness. Totally makes sense that the coaches would mix in the zone in small doses at key points in the game without using it as the primary defense.

With regards to Duval, I think the hard truth is that he is not a facilitating point guard. He is a scorer, and yet not a shooter. Early in the season he was racking up assists against weaker competition, but as the season has progressed he has reverted to his natural tendencies. The period of the St. John’s game that everyone is praising him for was just him pushing in transition and scoring one on one, which he is excellent at doing, but not being the “pure” point guard that this team needs.

jv001
02-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Really enjoyed the comment by Scheyer that while the zone defense has appeared to be more effective, that is skewed by the fact that it is being used as a change of pace to disrupt the other team. In other words, if we played zone for the entire game (as many on this board have been calling for) then it would lose its effectiveness. Totally makes sense that the coaches would mix in the zone in small doses at key points in the game without using it as the primary defense.

With regards to Duval, I think the hard truth is that he is not a facilitating point guard. He is a scorer, and yet not a shooter. Early in the season he was racking up assists against weaker competition, but as the season has progressed he has reverted to his natural tendencies. The period of the St. John’s game that everyone is praising him for was just him pushing in transition and scoring one on one, which he is excellent at doing, but not being the “pure” point guard that this team needs.

This is how I see Tre, great at going one on one but not good in half court sets. I think that's why we see Coach K switching to Grayson at the point during games. It looks like when Duval tries to set up others, he thinks too much and get's in trouble. I don't know if there's enough season left for him to get it right. I hope so, because we need Tre to be the complete point guard. He certainly has the natural ability to get the job done and I'm rooting for him. GoDuke!

JasonEvans
02-07-2018, 02:14 PM
This is how I see Tre, great at going one on one but not good in half court sets. I think that's why we see Coach K switching to Grayson at the point during games. It looks like when Duval tries to set up others, he thinks too much and get's in trouble. I don't know if there's enough season left for him to get it right. I hope so, because we need Tre to be the complete point guard. He certainly has the natural ability to get the job done and I'm rooting for him. GoDuke!

Just a little request... when referring to our PG this season, can we call him TD or Trevon or Duval or ANYTHING other than Tre? We have a PG recruit for next year named Tre.

MrPoon
02-07-2018, 03:46 PM
I’ve listened for a long time (long commute) and look forward to each new one, thanks.
I really liked the last question about what should less sophisticated people should watch for. Great question. I’ve been a life long fan and have played but never been coached at a high level so there are subtleties that can be missed. I loved Bobby Knight on TV for this (not trying to start controversy) but he once pointed out where a player’s plant foot was wrong over and again and how it impacted his screening. Of course I had no idea.

I am one who typically doesn’t like politics to show up in his toy section (sports) but I also appreciated the Ram commercial comments. I was uncomfortable with the ad and it was nice to have the organic conversation give words to that feeling.

Keep up the good work boys!

JasonEvans
02-07-2018, 04:02 PM
I am one who typically doesn’t like politics to show up in his toy section (sports) but I also appreciated the Ram commercial comments. I was uncomfortable with the ad and it was nice to have the organic conversation give words to that feeling.

After my comment on the best Super Bowl commercials and Donald talking about his work for Black History Month, it just happened naturally. I don't think hating on that awful Dodge Ram ad is a liberal or conservative thing... it is for everyone!

jv001
02-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Just a little request... when referring to our PG this season, can we call him TD or Trevon or Duval or ANYTHING other than Tre? We have a PG recruit for next year named Tre.

Sure but how about Tre I and Tre II? :cool: GoDuke!