PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. St. John's (Feb 3, 2018)

JBDuke
02-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their loss to St. John's today?

elvis14
02-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Yes! I got the first vote in!!!! About the only thing that's gone right.
Voted for Carter.

Bob Green
02-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Wendell Carter for his solid defense on top of 14 points and 15 rebounds.

kAzE
02-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Wendell was the only guy who showed up for Duke, but Shamorie Ponds was the MOTM.

SupaDave
02-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Bolden - only one that played like the game was gonna be on his resume.

Furniture
02-03-2018, 02:47 PM
I just can’t do it.

DukieInBrasil
02-03-2018, 02:55 PM
I just can’t do it.

yeah, nobody deserves MOTM for that game.

buddy
02-03-2018, 03:28 PM
I voted for Duval. 5-13 from the field, 0-2 from the foul line (with a minute to go and down 1) and 4 TOs to 5 assists. Admittedly it was a tough call. Allen was 1-7 from the field, while Bagley had 6 turnovers. So it was a total team effort here. But the point guard should be clutch at the finish. And I know Hurley had lots of turnovers as a freshman, but Hurley came back (and back and back). I don't think it is unreasonable to expect senior performance from players who only stay one year.

SupaDave
02-03-2018, 03:48 PM
I voted for Duval. 5-13 from the field, 0-2 from the foul line (with a minute to go and down 1) and 4 TOs to 5 assists. Admittedly it was a tough call. Allen was 1-7 from the field, while Bagley had 6 turnovers. So it was a total team effort here. But the point guard should be clutch at the finish. And I know Hurley had lots of turnovers as a freshman, but Hurley came back (and back and back). I don't think it is unreasonable to expect senior performance from players who only stay one year.

That's absolutely ridiculous. More talent doesn't correlate to game experience and decision making. Duval dribbling into double teams is proof of that.

richardjackson199
02-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm avoiding most of the post-game thread, still kinda devastated.

Where was AOC?

KandG
02-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm avoiding most of the post-game thread, still kinda devastated.

Where was AOC?

Wasn't part of the rotation tonight. Just Bolden & Jack White off the bench most notably, with a few token DuLaurier minutes. Apart from the usual speculation some folks have that AOC might not be showing enough in practice or that he might still be recovering from being sick, I suspect K didn't feel comfortable throwing him in a game against a quality defense that forces turnovers.

curtis325
02-03-2018, 06:00 PM
I voted for Bolden. I did not watch the second half at all (had to go out)--I didn't miss much good, I guess. My Marques vote is for the previous game because I did not get to vote for him then. MOTM (Bootsy Ponds) for this game doesn't matter.

Neals384
02-03-2018, 07:14 PM

OK, buddy at least has a reason for voting Duval. What about the other two votes? Are you guys nuts?

ipatent
02-03-2018, 07:16 PM
I voted for Trent, but it was a close call with Carter.

jv001
02-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Went with Carter because he seemed to play the hardest. He really competed on both ends of the court and made some very good blocks. GoDuke!

buddy
02-03-2018, 07:55 PM
OK, buddy at least has a reason for voting Duval. What about the other two votes? Are you guys nuts?

Obviously you all missed the sarcasm in my vote. I also pointed out why Allen and/or Bagley could have received this "honor". This was a total team effort. Nobody played a complete game. I think K's post-game comments support my displeasure. I expect point guards to step up and make crucial foul shots. I expect players who think they are lottery picks to play intelligently. Maybe not fair to pick on Duvall. Actually I usually don't vote for MOTM in losses--I don't think there should be such a thread, because it implies that an individual's efforts may be more important than the team result. When the team loses everybody lost.

I'll end my rant soon. I am a season ticket holder (long time) and longer term fan. I'm back every year. I hope to raise my "game" every year. Duke basketball was much more fun when we had four year players. That time I guess has passed. Having said that, developmental issues were understandable. It was fun to watch Hurley change from a turnover waiting to happen to the man who got in Laettner's face in the championship game. As a fan, I believe that if we only have one year, it should be one of effort, passion, and achievement. Too many times I think guys are playing for the name on the back of the jersey, not on the front.

ipatent
02-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Too many times I think guys are playing for the name on the back of the jersey, not on the front.

I don't see that with this year's team. They're team oriented but just still figuring it out.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2018, 09:53 PM
I was going to vote for whoever stepped up and won the game for us. I’m not voting for anyone.

flyingdutchdevil
02-04-2018, 12:50 AM
I was going to vote for whoever stepped up and won the game for us. I’m not voting for anyone.

Great attitude.

Duval for me because he was great for at least 5 min.

Devilwin
02-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Voted for Wendell because he played like he actually cared.

Neals384
02-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Not enough choices in the poll. I want to vote for AOC:rolleyes: