PDA

View Full Version : K-Ville is Klosed

CameronBornAndBred
02-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Due to the flu outbreak, Krzyzewskiville is shut down.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/krzyzewskiville-shut-down-amid-flu-outbreak-at-duke/17305871/

Dukehky
02-01-2018, 11:19 AM
The tenting thing needs to be seriously re-thought anyway.

2 and in some cases 3 months is too long. White tenting should be all that is allowed. I think that's 2 weeks, use all the rules that you want.

I realize that's probably a hugely unpopular opinion. Institute some kind of point system that may give you some kind of priority for white tenting based on attendance to other games (but there aren't that many students who want to go to bball games anyway, so it's not so much of a detriment). Do something, but this has gotten totally out of control. It's not cool, it's not fun, it's a waste of money from parents and scholarships. I can't imagine it helps school work. Tenting has jumped the shark.

I hope that no one gets super sick out there.

dukebsbll14
02-01-2018, 11:46 AM

2 and in some cases 3 months is too long. White tenting should be all that is allowed. I think that's 2 weeks, use all the rules that you want.

I realize that's probably a hugely unpopular opinion. Institute some kind of point system that may give you some kind of priority for white tenting based on attendance to other games (but there aren't that many students who want to go to bball games anyway, so it's not so much of a detriment). Do something, but this has gotten totally out of control. It's not cool, it's not fun, it's a waste of money from parents and scholarships. I can't imagine it helps school work. Tenting has jumped the shark.

It has been rethought and watered down in the past 7 years. If it was watered down any more we might as well just start giving tickets out via lottery.

Back in 2007, the first tenters started in early December. Admin finally stepped in because one group tried to start before Thanksgiving. There is grace for temps below 25 and the process becomes progressively easier (less people required each night) as you get closer to game day. My senior year, we were Tent 1 and started on Jan 19 for a game on March 8. You know how many days I ACTUALLY slept outside? 15. 15 nights in a "long year." So no, it isn't that hard.

It is absolutely fun, I met most of my best friends in Kville. And guess what? ITS VOLUNTARY. NO ONE FORCES YOU TO DO IT. College kids are smart enough to assume the risks of getting sick by sleeping in the cold.

#SAVEKVILLE

sagegrouse
02-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Aren't most of the tenters freshmen? Why would the end of tenting be controversial with upperclassmen?

flyingdutchdevil
02-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Disagree. Tenting is awesome. Getting sick is part of the process. Plus, the two-day party right before the UNC game is the best two-days at Duke.

Agree that flu outbreaks need to be monitored closely. Also, this is North Carolina. Not New England.

sagegrouse
02-01-2018, 12:00 PM
Disagree. Tenting is awesome. Getting sick is part of the process. Plus, the two-day party right before the UNC game is the best two-days at Duke.

Agree that flu outbreaks need to be monitored closely. Also, this is North Carolina. Not New England.

"Swampy Southern climes filled with vapors and pestilence." Actually literary references seem to describe thusly the Gold Coast and Central American lowlands.

uh_no
02-01-2018, 12:32 PM
2 and in some cases 3 months is too long. Too long for what? your preconceived notion of how long one should tent for?

White tenting should be all that is allowed. You know people often go on treks and live out of tents and backpacks for months at a time? Wouldn't want students to get out of their cushy dorms with pool tables and game rooms and 104" TVs.

I realize that's probably a hugely unpopular opinion. The most correct thing in this post :)

Do something, but this has gotten totally out of control. By what standard? This is a veiled appeal to a non-existent authority.

It's not cool Actually, it's quite cold :) And when it gets too cold people go back to their dorms.

it's not fun Lets just say I never played beer pong with my professors during office hours.

it's a waste of money from parents and scholarships. I can't imagine it helps school work. Things to do while sitting in a tent:
1) nap
2) school work

i got more work done sitting in a tent than i usually did in a dorm. without video games and roommates and such, you just sit there and get work done. and heaven forbid people actually spend time outside! It's not like I was taking easy classes, either...i was overloaded to the max while taking some of what are generally considered the most work intensive courses in the CS curricula. But guess I was wasting my parents money? Given those tickets go for thousands of dollars, seems I actually saved my parents quite a bit of money :)

Students getting sick happens. it will happen in K-ville, it will happen in shooters, it will happen in your saturday night frat kegger. Given the fact that the party is centralized in k-ville, the administration can, and do, do a great job staying on top of things like illness and, erm, over-indulgence. Suspending K ville right now is evicence of that, and this isn't the first time.

Anyway, I loved it, students do it. Is everything hunky dorey? No. but it was a blast overall and something I'll have with me for the rest of my life. I met people in k-ville i'd never met previously, and am good friends with many. It's amazing the kind of interesting people you meet by "just needing 1 or 2 more people to fill out a tent."

Get off my (now muddied because of a tent sitting on it for 3 months) lawn.

TNTDevil
02-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Due to the flu outbreak, Krzyzewskiville is shut down.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/krzyzewskiville-shut-down-amid-flu-outbreak-at-duke/17305871/Damn! I was certain it had been overrun by Jalapeño plants!

akg4y
02-01-2018, 12:58 PM
At UVA I think nowadays the "Hoo Crew" get points for attending various games of *all* sports etc, people with the most points get priority and dont have to do the tenting thing. In general those are the most hardcore fans anyhow so it works out well and reduces the time and number of people tenting for the remaining spots. Does Duke do something similar?

uh_no
02-01-2018, 01:05 PM
At UVA I think nowadays the "Hoo Crew" get points for attending various games of *all* sports etc, people with the most points get priority and dont have to do the tenting thing. In general those are the most hardcore fans anyhow so it works out well and reduces the time and number of people tenting for the remaining spots. Does Duke do something similar?

in some years there has been priority given within a tenting "phase" if you attend other events, or grace given if you attend sporting events (wbb, wrestling)

devildeac
02-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Damn! I was certain it had been overrun by Jalapeño plants!

So that's where your garden is for tailgates :eek::rolleyes:;)!

DukeDevil
02-01-2018, 01:45 PM
It has been rethought and watered down in the past 7 years. If it was watered down any more we might as well just start giving tickets out via lottery.

Back in 2007, the first tenters started in early December. Admin finally stepped in because one group tried to start before Thanksgiving. There is grace for temps below 25 and the process becomes progressively easier (less people required each night) as you get closer to game day. My senior year, we were Tent 1 and started on Jan 19 for a game on March 8. You know how many days I ACTUALLY slept outside? 15. 15 nights in a "long year." So no, it isn't that hard.

It is absolutely fun, I met most of my best friends in Kville. And guess what? ITS VOLUNTARY. NO ONE FORCES YOU TO DO IT. College kids are smart enough to assume the risks of getting sick by sleeping in the cold.

#SAVEKVILLE

I tented in 99/00 in tent 1. We tented for just over 6 weeks including in the snow. That year, I slept outside for 5 days a week of the 7, because something like 80% of the tent had to be in the tent each night (something like 10 of 12 or 8 of 10, can't remember the exact numbers). We basically lived out there. It was fun and I have friends to this day from that tent, but that was way too much. Plus no wifi. Some alum did donate so there were ethernet ports installed in the light poles my second year.

Dukehky
02-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Alright. I concede.

The hopefulness about sickness was just in reference to this year, because that was what closed it down. Genuine desire that people be healthy. I didn't mean to insinuate that tenting was detrimental to one's health. I understand the grace periods.

proelitedota
02-01-2018, 02:03 PM
I tented in 2009. By then there were wifi, electricity, water, heating, plumbing, and police. We didn't have to scavenge for acorns or use pit toilets anymore.

flyingdutchdevil
02-01-2018, 02:06 PM
I tented in 2009. By then there were wifi, electricity, water, heating, plumbing, and police. We didn't have to scavenge for acorns or use pit toilets anymore.

Not sure this is a plus...

Dev11
02-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Not sure this is a plus...

As long as they're campus police who are only concerned with you not dying, they're good. Durham police or ALE? Nope nope nope

BLPOG
02-01-2018, 04:32 PM
I tented in 2009. By then there were wifi, electricity, water, heating, plumbing [emphasis added], and police. We didn't have to scavenge for acorns or use pit toilets anymore.

Not sure what you're referring to in regards to electricity/heating, but as I recall, the IM gym (plumbing location) was locked for the first week or two because the line monitors were LOUSY and not listening to the tenters who repeatedly informed them it was locked. You hear me, 2009 line monitors?!!?!!! LOUSY.

I'm still ticked off that they docked us our freebie missed check when one of our female tent members came down with typhoid and, finding herself in need of a restroom, had to leave K-Ville (male students peed on the landscaping). We spent the rest of the tenting season in terror of missing another check. Nine or ten of twelve were still required nightly back then, so tenting was a much larger time burden and the prospect of having one's efforts vacated was not at all a cheery one.

I will carry that grudge to my grave.

JetpackJesus
02-01-2018, 05:20 PM
Too long for what? your preconceived notion of how long one should tent for?

You know people often go on treks and live out of tents and backpacks for months at a time? Wouldn't want students to get out of their cushy dorms with pool tables and game rooms and 104" TVs.

The most correct thing in this post :)

By what standard? This is a veiled appeal to a non-existent authority.

Actually, it's quite cold :) And when it gets too cold people go back to their dorms.

Lets just say I never played beer pong with my professors during office hours.

Things to do while sitting in a tent:
1) nap
2) school work

i got more work done sitting in a tent than i usually did in a dorm. without video games and roommates and such, you just sit there and get work done. and heaven forbid people actually spend time outside! It's not like I was taking easy classes, either...i was overloaded to the max while taking some of what are generally considered the most work intensive courses in the CS curricula. But guess I was wasting my parents money? Given those tickets go for thousands of dollars, seems I actually saved my parents quite a bit of money :)

Students getting sick happens. it will happen in K-ville, it will happen in shooters, it will happen in your saturday night frat kegger. Given the fact that the party is centralized in k-ville, the administration can, and do, do a great job staying on top of things like illness and, erm, over-indulgence. Suspending K ville right now is evicence of that, and this isn't the first time.

Anyway, I loved it, students do it. Is everything hunky dorey? No. but it was a blast overall and something I'll have with me for the rest of my life. I met people in k-ville i'd never met previously, and am good friends with many. It's amazing the kind of interesting people you meet by "just needing 1 or 2 more people to fill out a tent."

Get off my (now muddied because of a tent sitting on it for 3 months) lawn.
Nice username/post synergy here.

84Duke
02-01-2018, 07:22 PM
I stayed in a tent exactly one time - the 1985 game vs. U Washington and Detlef Schrempf. And that was after I graduated. We just used to stand in line for 5/7/9 hours with a bunch of beer, making sure we had a car parked in the Cameron lot to dump all our stuff when the doors opened.

Sir Stealth
02-01-2018, 07:49 PM
As long as they're campus police who are only concerned with you not dying, they're good. Durham police or ALE? Nope nope nope

The minor in possession of a beer can citation that the campus police put in my hand way back when didn't say anything about concern over me dying, but it sent me into the Durham court system nonetheless. Perhaps things have changed for the better.

millerecu
02-19-2018, 08:23 PM
http://wcti12.com/sports/content/duke-students-challenge-kryzyzewskiville-policies

El_Diablo
02-19-2018, 08:32 PM
http://wcti12.com/sports/content/duke-students-challenge-kryzyzewskiville-policies

Summary: Several Duke students have filed a DSG complaint about K-ville, saying it discriminates against people with hearing difficulties.

burnspbesq
02-19-2018, 08:32 PM
People camp out for hockey tickets in Schenectady and Ithaca. K-ville is a tropical paradise by comparison.

House G
02-19-2018, 09:01 PM
The minor in possession of a beer can citation that the campus police put in my hand way back when didn't say anything about concern over me dying, but it sent me into the Durham court system nonetheless. Perhaps things have changed for the better.

I won’t render an opinion on whether or not things have changed for the better—but they certainly have changed. As a 17 yo freshman in the 70’s, alcohol was ubiquitous and there was no such thing as MIP. All of our home football games were at noon. One Saturday, a couple of my friends decided to take a keg of beer to Wallace Wade. Incredibly, they were allowed to bring it in and set it on the bleachers. I’m guessing this is no longer allowed:cool:

uh_no
02-19-2018, 09:31 PM

fair critique.... should be simple to come up with an alternative.

BandAlum83
02-20-2018, 03:54 AM
Just play an instrument and join the band. Walk in 90 minutes before game time to a reserved seat. :)

22JumpShots
02-20-2018, 08:11 AM
Seriously all of this over that?

1. Let the two kids (who are hearing impaired) back in their place. Don't waste time in a student court.

2. I am willing to bet someone out there can generate a beta app, with ease, and all spot holders can download.

3. Admin can send out a notification when need be.

4. All those kids have their phones glued to their face 80% of the time. They will see the notification.

(Or Admin can do a mass group text, and/or email (school email) if you don't want admin to have personal info. (which they already do))

Problemo solved!

DukeFanSince1990
02-20-2018, 10:03 AM
fair critique... should be simple to come up with an alternative.

The Engineering school could use this opportunity for a project. Come up with a lighting system that uses LED's.

JetpackJesus
02-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Summary: Several Duke students have filed a DSG complaint about K-ville, saying it discriminates against people with hearing difficulties.

I was hoping for more information. Specifically, did the two students with the hearing impairment inform the HLM about their disability? That's the critical question. You can't make an accommodation if you don't know one is needed.

In any event, assuming the claimed disability is legit, just put them back at 74 if they were bumped. Then figure something out.

uh_no
02-20-2018, 02:06 PM
I was hoping for more information. Specifically, did the two students with the hearing impairment inform the HLM about their disability? That's the critical question. You can't make an accommodation if you don't know one is needed.

In any event, assuming the claimed disability is legit, just put them back at 74 if they were bumped. Then figure something out.

the chronicle article is a bit more detailed. They tried to demonstrate they were in K-ville using location tracking on their phone. The LM answer was that making a check consists of checking in before the check ends, and has nothing to do with whether or not one is in k-ville. It claims one of the two students is hearing impaired, and the other is a "deep sleeper."

While I can see how phone tracking could easily be abused, and have little sympathy for the "deep sleeper," (assuming the LM actually went around kville with the horn...which is generally the case, but unfortunately, some LMs aren't as dutiful as they should be), I find it absurd that the LMs couldn't find some reasonable accommodation for this student.

How this should have went down

"you missed a check"
"we were there"
"yeah but you missed it"
"I'm hearing impaired so can't hear the siren and have phone tracking evidence"
"okay...we'll waive this one and how about you let us know when you're here, and we'll make sure to wake up someone in your tent personally"

I understand being a LM is tough....but the goal should be enabling people to get into the game...and not as I unfortunately have seen some LMs act, looking for excuses to cause you to miss a check.

JetpackJesus
02-20-2018, 02:56 PM
the chronicle article is a bit more detailed. They tried to demonstrate they were in K-ville using location tracking on their phone. The LM answer was that making a check consists of checking in before the check ends, and has nothing to do with whether or not one is in k-ville. It claims one of the two students is hearing impaired, and the other is a "deep sleeper."

While I can see how phone tracking could easily be abused, and have little sympathy for the "deep sleeper," (assuming the LM actually went around kville with the horn...which is generally the case, but unfortunately, some LMs aren't as dutiful as they should be), I find it absurd that the LMs couldn't find some reasonable accommodation for this student.

How this should have went down

"you missed a check"
"we were there"
"yeah but you missed it"
"I'm hearing impaired so can't hear the siren and have phone tracking evidence"
"okay...we'll waive this one and how about you let us know when you're here, and we'll make sure to wake up someone in your tent personally"

I understand being a LM is tough...but the goal should be enabling people to get into the game...and not as I unfortunately have seen some LMs act, looking for excuses to cause you to miss a check.

Thanks for the additional info. So am I understanding correctly that there is actually only one student with a hearing impairment?

uh_no
02-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the additional info. So am I understanding correctly that there is actually only one student with a hearing impairment?

that's my understanding.

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2018, 03:34 PM

And one needs a better alarm clock. Welcome to the real world, kid. Hopefully your first post school boss is understanding of your heavy sleeping habits.