PDA

View Full Version : Taylor King update

Methodistman
01-31-2018, 09:10 PM
I saw this article and was immediately drawn in. Loved Taylor's passion on the court, and happy to see him seeming to put things together. This guy will make a great coach someday!
http://uproxx.it/2BCZsXz

moonpie23
01-31-2018, 10:11 PM
great story....here's the imbedded link. (http://uproxx.com/dimemag/taylor-king-redemption-story-duke-villanova-clippers/)

thedukelamere
02-01-2018, 10:15 AM
What followed was a globetrotting adventure full of stories that King hopes to one day compile in a book.

I'd preorder that book.

I'll never forget watching Taylor drain those deep 3s in the McD's All American game and how hopeful and confident I was that he was our next JJ. Really glad to hear his story a) isn't over and b) looks to have a happy ending.

BeachBlueDevil
02-01-2018, 10:26 AM
Taylor was a guy that always wish would have caught on at Duke. That stroke was impressive and I envisioned him lighting up the scoreboard for a couple years. Glad to see he's got everything on track and doing well.

Neals384
02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
wTF does this mean? “I made some decisions off the court that didn’t put me in position to be successful on the court,” he admits, “hanging around with the wrong people, indulging in marijuana like every athlete does.”

uh_no
02-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Taylor was a guy that always wish would have caught on at Duke. That stroke was impressive and I envisioned him lighting up the scoreboard for a couple years. Glad to see he's got everything on track and doing well.

I did too until he was around our hallway one day at one point the guy who lived two doors down said "you have one of the sweetest strokes I've ever seen" to which TK responded "That's gay." Having also read some of his work in writing 20, it was abundantly clear to me that Duke wasn't right for TK, and TK wasn't right for Duke. It was no secret that he was hitting the reefer.

Anyway, as you say, he had a sweet shot, and T-K-O was a great chant!

Billy Dat
02-01-2018, 11:09 AM
wTF does this mean? “I made some decisions off the court that didn’t put me in position to be successful on the court,” he admits, “hanging around with the wrong people, indulging in marijuana like every athlete does.”

I am guessing that you are taking umbrage with his suggestion that marijuana usage is rampant among athletes? Clearly, he is being hyperbolic. I'd wager that if you are a regular indulger, you tend to be surrounded by other indulgers which makes usage seem omnipresent. It's only fully legal in 9 states, after all. Considering Taylor is from Cali which along with Washington, Oregon, Nevada and Alaska form a sort of Green Legal Wall across the Western portion of the country, I am guessing he thinks "everybody's doing it"

BeachBlueDevil
02-01-2018, 02:43 PM
I did too until he was around our hallway one day at one point the guy who lived two doors down said "you have one of the sweetest strokes I've ever seen" to which TK responded "That's gay." Having also read some of his work in writing 20, it was abundantly clear to me that Duke wasn't right for TK, and TK wasn't right for Duke. It was no secret that he was hitting the reefer.

Anyway, as you say, he had a sweet shot, and T-K-O was a great chant!

Sounds like he should have stayed and taken the UCLA offer. Him and Reeves Nelson could have been a dynamic duo.... Off the court.

thedukelamere
02-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Sounds like he should have stayed and taken the UCLA offer. Him and Reeves Nelson could have been a dynamic duo... Off the court.

Who? I believe you mean Sophaur One. :p

https://www.dailynews.com/2016/04/12/former-ucla-basketball-player-reeves-nelson-changes-his-name/

JNort
02-02-2018, 01:02 AM
I am guessing that you are taking umbrage with his suggestion that marijuana usage is rampant among athletes? Clearly, he is being hyperbolic. I'd wager that if you are a regular indulger, you tend to be surrounded by other indulgers which makes usage seem omnipresent. It's only fully legal in 9 states, after all. Considering Taylor is from Cali which along with Washington, Oregon, Nevada and Alaska form a sort of Green Legal Wall across the Western portion of the country, I am guessing he thinks "everybody's doing it"
I don't know that I would say it's that hyperbolic... the numbers I've seen show that 40% of college kids have used it and near all of them don't have a problem with it. I would be willing to bet on that 40% number being low also. I'm not sure of what group they asked but I bet that number rises if you ask the students whom have been in school 3+ years.

burnspbesq
02-02-2018, 12:35 PM
High basketball IQ? Then why didn't he go down on the block when being guarded by Jeremy Lin in that epic California HS state championship game between Mater Dei and Palo Alto?

Billy Dat
02-02-2018, 03:26 PM
High basketball IQ? Then why didn't he go down on the block when being guarded by Jeremy Lin in that epic California HS state championship game between Mater Dei and Palo Alto?

As the other aspect of this thread has determined, he'd rather be high than low.