PDA

View Full Version : If Shane doesn't win the Favorite Duke player vote...

Lord Ash
10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
... I swear I will do very bad things to puppies and children.

Just FYI.

CameronBlue
10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Wow! Welcome to the boards Ellen! Love your show.

hurleyfor3
10-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Cool, I wasn't involving myself in this thing, but now I feel like voting against him.

YmoBeThere
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
... I swear I will do very bad things to puppies and children.

Just FYI.

Are the kittens at least safe then?

Lord Ash
10-24-2007, 09:45 PM
*laugh* Now now, don't go hating on future President Battier!

And no, now that you mentioned it the kittens will be the FIRST to go!

Into the freezer with them!

:D

YmoBeThere
10-24-2007, 10:17 PM

I'm telling, you are gonna be in big trouble!:p

Lord Ash
10-24-2007, 11:10 PM
The way I figure is that people might like to give me crap, but when it comes down to it, no true Dukie will hold Shane responsible. Three National Defensive Player of the Year titles will do that for a guy. :)

mgtr
10-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Shane may well be the guy, he is certainly deserving. But what about Bobby Hurley? He has always been the guy I thought of when the issue of Duke excellence came to the fore. Don't get me wrong, if it came to it, I would probably vote for Shane. But, then again, I might vote for Bobby. Or Tom Tancredo (whoops, wrong election).

EarlJam
10-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Shane may well be the guy, he is certainly deserving. But what about Bobby Hurley? He has always been the guy I thought of when the issue of Duke excellence came to the fore. Don't get me wrong, if it came to it, I would probably vote for Shane. But, then again, I might vote for Bobby. Or Tom Tancredo (whoops, wrong election).

I always have an open ear, but as of right now, Bobby Hurley has my vote.

-EarlJam

Cali-Duke
10-25-2007, 01:29 AM
uhhhh, what about grant hill, THE GREATEST!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9raQiHJioGM

good ole days

bobby hurley = #2
shane = #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXmRDevSgs

i think the commentary about bobby hurley being more comfortable in the open floor applies to paulus too. hope this new offense helps him out.

dukemomLA
10-25-2007, 02:53 AM
A truly tough choice between Hurley, Shane and Grant -- and I have to add Dawkins into this mix, as he was the first Coach K recruit who helped turn the program around.....again. I have to wait for the final poll to decide. I'm going to mull this over. Hmmmm. Damn, can't we have a Final Four??

Lavabe
10-25-2007, 05:00 AM
A truly tough choice between Hurley, Shane and Grant -- and I have to add Dawkins into this mix, as he was the first Coach K recruit who helped turn the program around.....again. I have to wait for the final poll to decide. I'm going to mull this over. Hmmmm. Damn, can't we have a Final Four??

The post-o-matic will probably pit Shane against someone like JohnnyD or a special elimination match against CoachK. How about Shane vs. Ditka? Shane vs. Wooden? Shane vs. Godzilla/Mothra?

In any case, I go with Shane.:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

Bob Green
10-25-2007, 06:48 AM
As much as I love Shane, Christian Laettner is the man. Make no mistake, he is going to win. He made "the shot" and led us to back-to-back national titles.

CameronBlue
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
This is not going to be an easy choice. Shane, Laettner, Hurley and Dawkins make a pretty good final four. Then there's G. Hill, C-Well, J-Will... This things going to end up being decided by a 5-4 court decision.

Lord Ash
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah Chris was great, but is he really your FAVORITE?

Shane = humble, strong, smart, an AMAZING defender, willing to sacrifice for the team, a leader, and a total winner! I love Grant of course, but he didn't make the same progress IMHO; he was great from the get-go. Shane had that "I'll toil as a defender as a Freshman, no problem, just wait..." Bobby was... well, Bobby. Hard to argue against such a scrappy guy, but I just found Shane to be a bit more stand-up man, if that makes any sense.

Shane in '07!

Should I shut up now? Or is it obvious I am jonesing for the season to begin?

merry
10-25-2007, 08:52 AM
How about Shane vs. Ditka? Shane vs. Wooden? Shane vs. Godzilla/Mothra?

Ditka!

I might vote for Shane for elective office but there's several other players too close to my heart for him not to have serious competition for "favorite".

EarlJam
10-25-2007, 09:06 AM

How about a Final Five and we call it quits at that. Make it the all-time DBR Favorite Five? You know, as in five guys make a starting team. Maybe DBR can even honor them by virtually retiring/hanging their jerseys on a special page on the Web site???

Could even call it, The Fab Five....no, wait. No. Don't call it that. But really, a page dedicated to honoring the top five from this project/poll would be cool.

-EarlJam

OZZIE4DUKE
10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
As much as I love Shane, Christian Laettner is the man. Make no mistake, he is going to win. He made "the shot" and led us to back-to-back national titles.

He may be a "Coach K has a term for a certain kind of player, which we won’t repeat other than to note that it’s twelve letters long and is at the center of the woes of Oedipus", but he is OUR "Coach K has a term for a certain kind of player, which we won’t repeat other than to note that it’s twelve letters long and is at the center of the woes of Oedipus."

Oh, wait. The original quote was "schmuck", not "Coach K has a term for a certain kind of player, which we won’t repeat other than to note that it’s twelve letters long and is at the center of the woes of Oedipus." Doesn't matter -- it still applies!

DukeDude
10-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Shane is like UNLV in 1991. No one thinks that anybody is capable of beating him in this tournament.

EarlJam
10-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Shane is like UNLV in 1991. No one thinks that anybody is capable of beating him in this tournament.

And just like UNLV and 1991, I've got four words to that point....

Voice of Bob Harris...

"Hurley for three...............BOTTOMS!"

-EarlJam

SilkyJ
10-25-2007, 12:24 PM

Love The Office reference. Question: which duke is best?

I'm leaning towards bob with this one. Wojo is my personal all time favorite, but he obviously won't make it to the finals (or even out of this round it looks like...) So it comes down to Hurley/Hill/Laettner/Dawkins/Battier. I'm so torn between those guys, I dont know I can even vote....but EVERY TIME I watch "the shot", even in june, I always get butterflies and goose bumps and usually yell "YES!!!!!!!" right as the shot goes in.

YmoBeThere
10-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Love The Office reference. Question: which duke is best?

That one went right over my head until you just mentioned it...guess I need to grow some more.

Lord Ash
10-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I was just watching a few Shane clips on youtube... jeez. He is, without any question, my favorite athlete in sports history. I have never seen a guy SO willing to get hit and bumped and covered in floor burns and do EVERY little glue thing you ask... oh, AND win titles and be an offensive weapon.

And don't forget leadership.

Shane Battier is THE man.

Oh and I'm glad someone got that Office reference! The Dwight bobble head on my desk here made me do it! ;)

OldPhiKap
10-30-2007, 03:51 PM
If Johnny Dawkins doesn't win, I'll sacrifice a ram. Preferably one from the south side of 15-501.

weezie
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Nothing but love for Shane. Love for Johnny, too, but Shane had the complete profile.
Don't forget Gene Banks, though. He came when no one else would and he was a pretty great guy, too.