PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone clarify The Tournament on tv?

rthomas
03-08-2007, 07:52 AM
GoDuke.com has us listed on ESPN2 at 7. But the ESPN website schedule doesn't have any tv listing for us and Illinois-PSU on ESPN2 at 5:05. In fact, they don't list any first round ACC tournament games. I know its being covered by JP but not here in northern WV. Is ESPN not covering the first round?

As I said in an earlier thread, the Duke game is on ESPN360.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-08-2007, 08:17 AM
The best I understand it, CBS is covering all of today's games EXCEPT for the Duke game. Before the ACC expanded to 12 teams, the Thursday night time-slot of 7pm was used for the play-in game and was under contract to ESPN. When the conference expanded, it was agreed that ESPN would still have rights to the Thurs 7pm time-slot until the contract expires. Therefore, the Duke game should be aired on ESPN, unless something has changed since yesterday that I am not aware of. Hope this helps!

MulletMan
03-08-2007, 10:02 AM
TDT is pretty right on from what I understand. ESPN gets the 7:00 game... although I think that might have something to do with the fact that its the Duke game as well as the time slot, and the other games are being broadcast on Raycom today. You can also see the online at accselect.com (I think). I was looking for it last night, and it is $9.95 a month and covers a bunch of sporting events. Tomorrow's games will be on ESPN, from what I can tell, and will be available for watching on ESPN 360... although that may not be the case here in the Triangle... I'm still trying to figure that one out...

Karl Beem
03-08-2007, 10:40 AM
The Friday - Sunday games are Raycom/ESPN . ESPN will be blacked out in areas which have a Raycom affiliate.

DukeBlood
03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
They said Duke vs. NC State will be on ESPN(or ESPN2) at 4(7 Eastern).

I didnt catch which ESPN it will be on, but Its good news because it will be on :).

Carter431
03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
In Atlanta they have the game being broadcasted on ESPN @ 7:00. All the other games for the day will be broadcasted on Raycom/JP.

I'm actually saddened to see that we are the only game not being broadcasted on Raycom/JP. While their graphics are pretty weak, I actually enjoy listening to the majority of the commentators on Raycom.

Jarhead
03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
The best I understand it, CBS is covering all of today's games EXCEPT for the Duke game. Before the ACC expanded to 12 teams, the Thursday night time-slot of 7pm was used for the play-in game and was under contract to ESPN. When the conference expanded, it was agreed that ESPN would still have rights to the Thurs 7pm time-slot until the contract expires. Therefore, the Duke game should be aired on ESPN, unless something has changed since yesterday that I am not aware of. Hope this helps!

You are correct that the game will be on at 7 PM, but not on CBS. Survivor will be on at its regular time on WRAL-TV (ch 5), but who cares about that. ESPN2 will air the Duke/State game for the contractual reason you describe.

Cameron
03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
So, unlike how ESPN airs every single Big East First Round game, the network will be completely stopping it's Thursday ACC games in the future, once their contract runs out? This saddens me.

BostonDukeFan
03-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I found this link to be very helpful. Click on "Clearance Listing" or "Printable Version" to figure out what station in your area is broadcasting particular games.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/07rlfschedule.html

Jarhead
03-08-2007, 12:19 PM
So, unlike how ESPN airs every single Big East First Round game, the network will be completely stopping it's Thursday ACC games in the future, once their contract runs out? This saddens me.

No. The present contract for the tournament covers only the Friday thru Sunday games. Raycom and ESPN showed all of those games. In ACC territory, though, ESPN was blacked out. The play-in game was different. ESPN's contract with the league gave the play-in game to ESPN. With expansion, ESPN elected to keep the Thursday night 7 pm time slot on ESPN2 until the present contract expires. A new one will be negotiated at that time, but who knows how that will work. Raycom will likely hold on to their share in ACC territory, but the national rights will follow the money. I don't expect Disney to give up the ACC tourney, though.

Karl Beem
03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
It's now Raycom/Lincoln Financial. Their games are in HD, at least in Atlanta.

jacone21
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Don't mean to bring negativity, but it looks like ESPN2 is scheduled to air the Illinois/Penn St. Big Ten game before the Duke game tonight. The Big Ten game is expected to tip just after 5:00pm... so the question is... will we miss the beginning of yet another game on the Worldwide Leader?

Duke15304
03-08-2007, 02:17 PM
ill be a student there next year and i love my lions, but their basketball program is a joke, i think the Illni( am i allowed to say?) should kill them, hopefully the game will be over, but if they are behind from earlier who knows