PDA

View Full Version : Any writers here on site?

Devilwin
01-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Just wondering if there are any writers here among us that might want to do a short story for us. Just something to do, ya know, heck I may do it myself!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-29-2018, 05:53 PM
Twas the night before April, and all through K's house...

RPS
01-29-2018, 05:57 PM

Not a creature was stirring, not even Sage Grouse.

fuse
01-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Aspiring writer.

Lots of business book and fiction ideas.

Making time is the missing ingredient.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-29-2018, 06:04 PM

The banners were hung from the rafters with care

jimsumner
01-29-2018, 06:35 PM
I never got past "It was a dark and stormy night."

Tripping William
01-29-2018, 07:43 PM

In hopes that a sixth one soon would be there.

Reilly
01-29-2018, 08:37 PM

The Crazies were nestled all snug in the bleachers.

jacone21
01-29-2018, 09:18 PM

... Neglecting the homework assigned by their teachers.

fidel
01-29-2018, 09:18 PM

Chants all prepared; 'Our House' is the feature.

cspan37421
01-30-2018, 06:46 AM
My writing skills fall somewhere below Man Booker and above Bulwer-Lytton.

aimo
01-30-2018, 09:10 AM
Aspiring writer.

Lots of business book and fiction ideas.

Making time is the missing ingredient.

Ditto! Except for the business book part. Fiction and historical fiction-y.

rsvman
01-30-2018, 10:17 AM
I've written a 240-page manuscript and have illustrations for it, but I haven't tried to get it published yet.

Oh, and I wrote it in 2007. Yes, I'm pathetic.

Bostondevil
01-30-2018, 10:59 AM
I am a published, award-winning playwright.

The above sentence makes me sound like a way bigger deal than I am, but, it's also true. One of the plays that won me an award has been read by Coach K. He contacted me after he read it to tell me that he loved it.

devil84
01-30-2018, 11:09 AM
I've co-authored three books and a number of magazine articles on a now-defunct programming language. I'm pretty good at non-fiction. Haven't tried fiction.

Hey Devilwin, what kind of short story are you looking for? Seems there's a wealth of stuff to read here! ;)

Reilly
01-30-2018, 12:18 PM

... Neglecting the homework assigned by their teachers.

And Mickie in her sweater, and Scheyer in his suit

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-30-2018, 02:38 PM
And Mickie in her sweater, and Scheyer in his suit

RJ Barrett comes in asking "what's all this aboot?"

rasputin
01-30-2018, 03:00 PM
RJ Barrett comes in asking "what's all this aboot?"

When out on the Dump there arose such a clatter

Devilwin
01-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Bostondevil, very impressive! Devil84 as well. Any kind of story. I am planning on doing one about a country boy that lives in a cabin along the Uwharrie River in Montgomery County. I already got a name for it. "Clete Perkins Meets The Wampus Cat"..lol:cool:

Devilwin
01-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Bostondevil, very impressive! Devil84 as well. Any kind of story. I am planning on doing one about a country boy that lives in a cabin along the Uwharrie River in Montgomery County. I already got a name for it. "Clete Perkins Meets The Wampus Cat"..lol:cool:

Well, here goes nothing..
Clete Perkins Meets The Wampus Cat!

Deep in the Uwharrie mountains, in a log cabin on the banks of the Uwharrie River, lived the Perkins family, Old Ned, his wife Martha, and their none too bright boy child Clete. The family raised chickens, and Old Ned supplemented the family income by his artistic mastery of the moonshine business.They weren't well off by any means, but got by as well as most hill folk do.
One night, a ruckus outside awakened Martha, and she hollered at Ned, "Pa, git yer shotgun down, sumpin's at dem chickens again! Betcha it's a doggone wampus cat"!
Old Ned rolled his eyes and said, "Now Martha, you know there ain't been no wampus cat round these parts fer years"! " Must be a fox or a dang bobcat er sumpin or other!"
Martha looked hard at Ned and said, "Either way, git offen yor sorry tail 'n' git out the door, we cain't lose no more chickens!"
Well, Ned had had a rough day corking jugs, so he hollered at Clete, "Boy, grab that shotgun, and a box of double ought, and thet thar torch, and go see whut's at dem chickens!"
Nobody had to tell Clete twice, as he relished every chance to use his Daddy's shotgun. So he did as instructed, and flew out the door to the henhouse.
Upon arriving at the hen house, Clete ran across some of the biggest footprints he ever saw.
"Hmmm", he thought to himself, "them is some big feet, dey is. Must be old Sam Cagle! He gots de biggest feet in these hills!"
Clete threw back his head and hollered, "Sam Cagle, I knows its you been at our hens! Come up boy now, afore I cuts loose wid dis double ought!"
No response came, but Clete could feel the hair standing up on his neck.
The wind began to stir, and Clete began to feel a tad bit creepy. "Sam, I said come up now! Trigger finger is a mite itchy this night, and I'd sooner shoot ye as look at ye!"
Clete then felt a light breath of wind on his neck, then something lifted him straight off the ground! "Holy Moses!" Clete screamed. "What's got me?" Clete was able to squirm about a little, and shone his light into the horrid face of a huge, gorilla looking thing, nearly eight feet tall! "What is you?", Clete yelled. "And whut you wanting round my chicken house!"
To his shock, the creature answered in a deep, resonant, Sam Elliott type voice!
"My names are legion," said the beast, "Bigfoot, Yeti, Skunk Ape, Sasquatch. Now round here we is known as duh Wampus Cat!"
Clete whimpered and said, "If you let me go, I can show you the nectar of the Gods!"
The creature agreed, and told Clete to lead the way.
Clete lead the beast down the trail to Old Ned's still, where the day's squeezin's were sitting there corked in a neat row.
The Wampus Cat grabbed the nearest jug, gulped the contents down, and reached for another. Then another. Soon, the varmint began to sway, then crashed down flat on his face.
Clete flew up the trail to fetch his Dad. He told Ned he captured something alive, and they were going to need the four wheeler and the logging chains.
When Ned saw what Clete had caught, he yelled, "Oh Sweet Jesus! Hit's a wampus cat, sho nuff!" Clete and his Pa trussed the wampus cat up, and carried him back to the cabin.
Martha was aghast.
"Kinfolk, mebbe?" She said. Ned said, "No, leastways not on my side!"
Bigfoot started to come around, and said, "Where am I, and why is the world spinning?"
Ned said, "Boy, yer quite lucky Clete didn't bust yor hide with dis double ought, and I still might anyhow!"
The Wampus Cat said, "If you all will let me go, I promise to leave the hens alone, and will bring you a cord of good firewood once a week!"
The family agreed, and let the beast go on his way..
Things went well after that, the family had all the fire wood they needed.
The Wampus Cat made his debut on Animal Planet, Martha still nags, and Clete finished the sixth grade, two weeks later he got his driver's license. Ned still makes the finest sour mash around, and every so often, on a quiet summer's night, a Wampus Cat strolls up to the still for a snoot full...

Jim3k
01-31-2018, 12:58 AM
Sweet. Very cute. Well done.

Edit: you deserve a spork, but I need to spread the love around.

Bostondevil
01-31-2018, 02:52 PM
A very short play dedicated to my good friend Anne.

Know, Not Think

ANNE
Every week, every week for a whole year.
CASSIE
Are you sure about that?
ANNE
Every week. My allowance was 25 cents. I’d buy one candy bar, on Tuesdays, on my way home from school cause Lori’s mom didn’t work on Tuesdays. Lori would go straight home instead of taking the bus to meet her mom at the beauty salon. We would walk together. We’d stop at the Handy Pantry and buy a candy bar, 5 cents. But the other 20 cents went into my piggy bank, every week.
CASSIE
That’s dedication.
ANNE
No, not dedication, love.
CASSIE
Oh, c’mon. Not love. You were what, 10?
ANNE
Yes, 10.
CASSIE
I’m sure you thought it was love but you can’t love someone you’ve never met.
ANNE
I still have it. There really is nothing like that first love. I’m sorry you didn’t have one when you were 10. But there’s no think about it. I didn’t save my allowance for an entire year to buy The Partridge Family Album for a passing fancy. I know I loved David Cassidy. And now I’m going to play that album, have a good cry, and drink a toast to my first great love.

Devilwin
01-31-2018, 03:15 PM
Very nice! Especially since Cassidy passed away recently.

Bostondevil
01-31-2018, 03:16 PM
Very nice! Especially since Cassidy passed away recently.

That's why I wrote it. ;-)

Devilwin
01-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Sweet. Very cute. Well done.

Edit: you deserve a spork, but I need to spread the love around.

Thanks. It was kind of hard, since I had never done anything like that, lol. Glad you liked it!