PDA

View Full Version : Arguments against Duke haters

ksab68
01-28-2018, 12:38 AM
With Duke getting top-3 recruits, I have had a number of Duke Haters come out and start accusing Duke of being dirty program and paying top dollar to get those recruits. They can't fathom that Coach K could recruit the best three players of a class that all play the same position. With the Adidas school scandals implicating other top basketball schools (L'Ville), they say all schools are dirty and Duke has got to be one of them. This theory has been pushed by different sports podcasts (Mark Titus on the Ringer and Pardon My Take podcasts).

My question is: what are the best arguments to use against them about Duke being clean?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-28-2018, 01:01 AM
1) Never a hint of scandal, when you know the entire sports media would LOVE to scavenge the Duke program if something were off
2) Of course top players want to play at Duke, they are putting players into the NBA at a very high clip
3) Coach K has a great reputation for preparing kids for the NBA and coaching talent.
4) Since players HAVE to go to college for a year, why not play in the best program, go to a great school, compete at the highest level, be on ESPN twice a week, and have a shot at hanging banners?

No offense, but if you can't come up with answers to this, you should think a little longer.

PackMan97
01-28-2018, 01:11 AM
My question is: what are the best arguments to use against them about Duke being clean?

The best argument is the simplest. The they want to play for Coach K who will go down in history as the best college basketball of the post-Wooden era.

MarkD83
01-28-2018, 06:50 AM
Ignore them.

You won't change their mind and they just want to bait you into an argument.

But if you want to drive them crazy just mention that Duke does have an unfair advantage (as mentioned above), it is an elite educational institution with the best coach in college basketball with a lot of connections to the NBA. Wouldn't you want your son to go there also? The haters want to portray Duke as elite so embrace that and they will go away fuming.

Troublemaker
01-28-2018, 07:01 AM
In addition to the great reasons already mentioned, tell them that the two players we "know" about who took money were Brian Bowen (ranked #19 in 2017 (https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighScho ol)) and Jahvon Quinerly (ranked #25 in 2018 (https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighScho ol)). The elite, top-5 players haven't been implicated.

Think about it this way. Who's more likely to commit a crime? (It's not like these earnings are reported to the IRS, lol)
(1) Someone who knows with pretty good certainty they're going to be a millionaire in a year
(2) Someone who has no guarantee that they're going to be playing in the NBA one day

It may be that the players ranked 15-30 is where there is the best intersection of demand (programs know you can help them) and supply (players/families are willing to buck the IRS because of an uncertain future).

Just a theory.

Troublemaker
01-28-2018, 07:06 AM
But, ultimately, trolling them back might be better.

Tell them you're thankful you root for a program that's not cheap like theirs are.

left_hook_lacey
01-28-2018, 07:53 AM
The best argument is the simplest. The they want to play for Coach K who will go down in history as the best college basketball of the post-Wooden era.

Wooden cheated. Just saying.

lotusland
01-28-2018, 11:45 AM
It’s a good thing that opposing fans are jealous and don’t like Duke. I just say “of course Duke is given every advantage by refs and the NCAA. They’re Duke for crying out loud! Why would anyone give your crappy team an advantage? They suck!”

Native
01-28-2018, 12:26 PM
Just ignore them. You're never going to change their mind, so why bother?

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Just ignore them. You're never going to change their mind, so why bother?

Yep. "Living well is the best revenge." I love that quote. Just smile and stay happy.
Love, Ima

wavedukefan70s
01-28-2018, 01:11 PM
All top teams at any level get the same treatment.they are good.so obviously they are cheating. from dropping players down in middle school.recruiting in highschool.to fixing grades and paying players in college.laugh it off.
I tell them yep that's what we are doing.it only counts if we get caught.😁
As a side note .our high school got caught holding kids back.lol so instead of holding back in 8th grade .We do it in 6th or 7th now.nothing beats the 20 yr old senior.😃

weezie
01-28-2018, 01:18 PM
I stare blankly up at the wall just above the head of any hater as they prattle on and then I snap out of it by asking them that time it is. Then I wander away.
Who the hell cares what they have to say about anything?

duke4ever19
01-28-2018, 01:59 PM
With Duke getting top-3 recruits, I have had a number of Duke Haters come out and start accusing Duke of being dirty program and paying top dollar to get those recruits. They can't fathom that Coach K could recruit the best three players of a class that all play the same position. With the Adidas school scandals implicating other top basketball schools (L'Ville), they say all schools are dirty and Duke has got to be one of them. This theory has been pushed by different sports podcasts (Mark Titus on the Ringer and Pardon My Take podcasts).

The most common argument you will here from Duke haters is the following:

(1) The NCAA/refs are conspiring to give the games/advantage to Duke. They WANT Duke to win, or have the best opportunity to win.

If the argument is of this variety, then I respond with something like this: "So you believe the sport is rigged? Because what you are describing is rigged sports. If you truly believe that college basketball is rigged, but you continue to watch it, then you are telling me that you enjoy watching a product that is basically the WWE . . . pre-planned, rigged, sports. Now, there isn't anything necessarily wrong with watching the WWE, but there is little-to-no reason to complain about the outcome if you think everything is pre-arranged."

Also, you can ask them why, if Duke is the beneficiary of so many "perks," why they don't get to the Final Four basically every year, like the UConn women do. I'm assuming these are the same fans who like to poke fun at Duke for Mercer, Lehigh etc. But IMO these "embarrassing losses" are hard to account for if the NCAA is trying to help Duke. You'll see the conspiracy fans just shrug their shoulders and say "Well, I guess K couldn't buy these refs, so that's why they lost." Again, if they think K has the power to "buy" refs for games, you have to wonder why they keep watching college basketball. Also, you'd think Coach K would want to buy the refs for the biggest games, not a game against Pitt or Clemson. Duke's several early exits from the NCAA tournament don't make so much sense if K has all the power they say he has, and the refs and NCAA want Duke to win.

dragoneye776
01-28-2018, 04:44 PM
I don't follow college football as closely but do people accuse Nick Saban of cheating in football recruits? It seems like pretty much every year he brings in the #1 recruiting class and has multiple top recruits in line to play every position.

Success on the field and in the draft will carry over to success on the recruiting trail.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-29-2018, 08:45 AM
I just say “yes, you must be right” and move on. That leaves them dumbfounded (not hard to do anyway) and totally unsure what to do or say next. It negates any sense of satisfaction they might otherwise derive from baiting you.

Although I will admit to being well prepared for those moments like I had at the hardware store the other day when two bozos in cheater gear walked by me and my sons in our duke gear and quietly said “go heels”... I simply said “Wofford” and to their credit they actually laughed.

Dev11
01-29-2018, 10:14 AM
I don't follow college football as closely but do people accuse Nick Saban of cheating in football recruits? It seems like pretty much every year he brings in the #1 recruiting class and has multiple top recruits in line to play every position.

Success on the field and in the draft will carry over to success on the recruiting trail.

I reference this article from time to time about big time college football recruiting, and I've basically accepted that all of the top programs are cheating to some degree:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

The difference between football and basketball is that basketball demands more one-on-one attention from the coaching staff. A football team has six times as many scholarships as a basketball team, so it has to cast a much wider recruiting net. Basketball high school evaluations are also more correlated with success because football players have to grow so much in college.

I'm not sure you can build a top tier college football program without some impropriety. I still think you can in basketball if you have Coach K's resume and connections, but only a handful of programs can have that.

flyingdutchdevil
01-29-2018, 12:00 PM
I'd provide a dead pan delivery: "Yes. Duke pays players. They also pay the NCAA and ESPN. That's why Duke's hasn't gotten into sanctions or in trouble yet. Also, Coach K and his staff aren't Blue Devils, they are real devils. They have made a pact with God where Duke controls all of NCAA basketball. In return, Duke stays out of politics, the economy, and the environment."

Now, if someone were to say something, like, "Damn. With all that talent, Duke doesn't look as good as UVa or 'Nova," I'd respond, "shut up, you ugo face!" and run away.

weezie
01-29-2018, 04:23 PM
...I'd respond, "shut up, you ugo face!" and run away.

Now that deserves a standing ovation right there. Love it!

DukeFanSince1990
01-29-2018, 04:55 PM
I tell them we better be getting these guys, the checks are clearing.