PDA

View Full Version : MSU AD resigns

MChambers
01-26-2018, 02:44 PM
The MSU AD resigned today, apparently because of the horrifying Larry Nassar scandal, but it appears that MSU didn’t deal with allegations of sexual conduct by basketball and football players. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/01/26/michigan-state-athletic-director-announces-retirement-amid-larry-nassar-scandal/?utm_term=.a4cad4de287a

Tripping William
01-26-2018, 03:05 PM
The MSU AD resigned today, apparently because of the horrifying Larry Nassar scandal, but it appears that MSU didn’t deal with allegations of sexual conduct by basketball and football players. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/01/26/michigan-state-athletic-director-announces-retirement-amid-larry-nassar-scandal/?utm_term=.a4cad4de287a

This comes following the resignation of Michigan State's president in the wake of the Nassar issues. I don't know if Sparta is actually coming apart at the seams, but it sure seems like it.

BigWayne
01-26-2018, 03:06 PM
ESPN has the OTL crew working on the MSU story. (http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn)

It dosen't look like this is going to be over for quite a while as they dig through and find all the cases that were swept under the rug by the MSU athletic department. I am betting there are a bunch of other schools that are worrying about more FOIA requests coming to them.

chrishoke
01-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Everybody does it.

weezie
01-26-2018, 04:35 PM
This is a firestorm of rage in the state. My sparty brother is heart-broken but realistic.
How do you sweep and entire board of trustees out and quickly restock? Dan Gilbert, Tom Gores, Earvin Johnson and Kirk Gibson might be seen as possible replacements. Who loves the place enough to withstand likely a decade of turmoil?

Now it's hitting that Izzo is squarely in the headlights re: asst coach assualting a woman in 2010. Outside The Lines has obtained the reports.

Ugly, ugly, ugly. This is simply horrific.

Apologies to Big Wayne up-thread.

BigWayne
01-26-2018, 04:59 PM
This is a firestorm of rage in the state. My sparty brother is heart-broken but realistic.
How do you sweep and entire board of trustees out and quickly restock? Dan Gilbert, Tom Gores, Earvin Johnson and Kirk Gibson might be seen as possible replacements. Who loves the place enough to withstand likely a decade of turmoil?

Now it's hitting that Izzo is squarely in the headlights re: asst coach assualting a woman in 2010. Outside The Lines has obtained the reports.

Ugly, ugly, ugly. This is simply horrific.

Apologies to Big Wayne up-thread.

No worries. It's a long article, many won't read all the way through. The case you refer to is related to Travis Walton. The article details AD Hollis being involved and there is enough reported to give you a pretty good idea that it wasn't handled correctly and may be one of the major contributing factors to Hollis resigning.

happydays1949
01-26-2018, 07:58 PM
No worries. It's a long article, many won't read all the way through. The case you refer to is related to Travis Walton. The article details AD Hollis being involved and there is enough reported to give you a pretty good idea that it wasn't handled correctly and may be one of the major contributing factors to Hollis resigning.

No worries - you have to be kidding!!! This is just the beginning! It is going on all over the country!

weezie
01-26-2018, 08:02 PM
No worries - you have to be kidding!!! This is just the beginning! It is going on all over the country!

No, no, no, I was apologizing to BigWayne because he linked the story first. He was not indicating that there were no worries about the allegations, just that he didn't mind me stepping on his thread toes.

Btw, the OTL story this evening was chilling. I wonder how Izzo can survive past this season, and Dantonio has got to be donezo.

MChambers
01-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Btw, the OTL story this evening was chilling. I wonder how Izzo can survive past this season, and Dantonio has got to be donezo.

Exactly. And I don’t know that Izzo will survive that long. Saddens me to say that.

Chicago 1995
01-26-2018, 08:59 PM
Worse than the Walton stuff, MSU has two hoopsters names in a sexual assault complaint in 2010. One admitted to raping the victim.

Never disciplined. If the reports as to the players’ identities is true, both played big roles in the program for the next 4 years

lmb
01-26-2018, 09:12 PM
Emmert knew. Not about Nassar but about athletes involved in reported assaults. Wow!

https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/01/26/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-was-alerted-to-michigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/

53n206
01-26-2018, 10:40 PM
If the allegations are true it's very difficult to see how Emmert will last a month.

subzero02
01-26-2018, 11:20 PM
Emmert knew. Not about Nassar but about athletes involved in reported assaults. Wow!

Your link didn't work.
https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/01/26/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-was-alerted-to-michigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/

I really expected MSU and Izzo to be in the final four this year. I never expected off court issues to have the potential to derail that possibility.

53n206
01-26-2018, 11:29 PM
Emmert's apparent lack of action may lead to wholesale changes in the NCAA structure. Interesting times. I had many sarcastic suggestinon for his replacement if it comes to that--is Ken Starr available? for example. But the situation is so serious that levity does not seem to be warrented.

dudog84
01-27-2018, 12:39 AM
Despite my long love affair with Duke athletics, the uNC debacle made it extremely difficult to watch any college sports. Complete disgust with the NCAA. But I told myself I'd hang in for Grayson's final season. Looks like he'll be the last of his breed, a 4-year star.

Now Tom Izzo too? My favorite non-Duke-related coach? Hope I can last the season.

CameronBornAndBred
01-27-2018, 01:49 AM
Bye, Mark.
His departure is guaranteed now, and for completely right reasons.

sagegrouse
01-27-2018, 03:19 AM
Emmert's apparent lack of action may lead to wholesale changes in the NCAA structure. Interesting times. I had many sarcastic suggestinon for his replacement if it comes to that--is Ken Starr available? for example. But the situation is so serious that levity does not seem to be warrented.

It's my expectation that the Commission on College Basketball will recommend a "commissioner," as K and Bilas have been suggesting. This will pull the men's college hoops outside of the direct purview of the NCAA President (Emmert). Division I (renamed, no doubt) will consist of a smaller structure of about 150 teams, which will effectively upgrade the schedules, as TV wants, and will make the economics better for the most important schools. K's influence on the CCB is quite evident, with Gen. Dempsey, David Robinson, Gant Hill and even the chair, Condi Rice. I also expect that these changes will have the support of his fellow coaches and their AD's.

March Madness is still a really big deal, and the 64+-team tournament would continue with the participation of all of today's conferences.

With these changes, occurring without the leadership or maybe even the consent of Mark Emmert, I believe his time at the NCAA is about up.

TKG
01-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Interesting that the Appling-Payne sexual assault allegations received local media attention but not national.

freshmanjs
01-27-2018, 09:41 AM
Interesting that the Appling-Payne sexual assault allegations received local media attention but not national.

Not clear to me that Izzo will fall for that incident. The incident was reported in the press. The accused had a title 9 hearing and were found not to have violated school policy. While that may have been a ridiculous finding, it was the finding. There were no criminal charges as far as I can find. Maybe there is new information coming to light now, but it's unclear from the reports so far.

nmduke2001
01-27-2018, 10:07 AM

ESPN Outside the Lines working on it now. Not sure Izzo survives this. If he was involved in a cover up, not sure he should.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22227960/michigan-state-spartans-coach-mark-dantonio-denies-allegations-concerning-handling-sexual-assault-complaints

gam7
01-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Dantonio has got to be donezo.

Donezonio?

MChambers
01-27-2018, 11:25 AM
Not clear to me that Izzo will fall for that incident. The incident was reported in the press. The accused had a title 9 hearing and were found not to have violated school policy. While that may have been a ridiculous finding, it was the finding. There were no criminal charges as far as I can find. Maybe there is new information coming to light now, but it's unclear from the reports so far.

As to that one incident, I agree that having the title 9 hearing was the right thing to do and apparently legally mandated, but MSU didn't start the proceeding until the US DOE told them to. And I understand that the players were found not to have violated school policy. (Is that a term of art in title 9 cases?) Still, I'm amazed that Izzo didn't punish the two players in any way, at least according to one of the players.

The earlier allegation, having to do with a graduate assistant, shocks me. The guy is arrested for assault and battery and apparentlyu doesn't face any discipline? Yes, I realize he entered a plea to "littering" and the serious charges were dropped. But he continued to coach and travel with the team in the interim? And then later he and two players are accused of rape, he is "let go" (but says he just returned to playing ball in Europe), and the players are "talked to"? Really? And it wasn't referred elsewhere in the university?

This turns my stomach, perhaps because I've been a fan of Izzo. A relative of mine who is a big MSU fan told me last night that he didn't think he could watch last night's MSU game after the report.

Yes, I know that we need to know all the facts before reaching judgment. Any Duke fan should know that. But this sure looks like it's going to get worse quickly.

TexHawk
01-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Despite my long love affair with Duke athletics, the uNC debacle made it extremely difficult to watch any college sports. Complete disgust with the NCAA. But I told myself I'd hang in for Grayson's final season. Looks like he'll be the last of his breed, a 4-year star.

Now Tom Izzo too? My favorite non-Duke-related coach? Hope I can last the season.

To add to this, Payne was a major figure in CBB in the 13-14 season. Arguably *the* major figure. He was the 2014 version of Trae Young, he could do no wrong. Both he and Appling spurned the NBA to come back and win Izzo a title. The story of him befriending the little girl with cancer was everywhere.

I know we can't expect athletes to be heroes, especially collegiate athletes, but this one is shocking.

accfanfrom1970
01-28-2018, 07:45 PM
I know we can't expect athletes to be heroes, especially collegiate athletes, but this one is shocking.

It is shocking. And much like penn state and uncheats, msu becomes another disgraced program...one to root against, and one whose coaches should be ashamed of themselves. I used to admire paterno and roy and izzo...not anymore.

sciencegeek
01-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Izzo is getting pressed harder as the days roll on...

WVDUKEFAN
01-28-2018, 08:32 PM
As much as I like Izzo, I doubt he will survive.

El_Diablo
01-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Screw ESPN. Those hypocrites intentionally looked the other way on this stuff for years, including the Appling/Payne incident. That’s right, local and national media covered it at the time, but ESPN couldn’t be bothered to say anything about it (other than a short mention in the Andy Katz blog). We even had a thread about it here and discussed it more than ESPN. I guess ESPN is just now pulling resources from the “Grayson Allen appeared to nearly came close to almost tripping someone again” department and is finally getting around to engaging in some actual journalism because they realize that the Nassar story is getting a ton of interest?

El_Diablo
01-28-2018, 10:41 PM

That’s not entirely true. The incident was covered by SLAM. It was covered by Deadspin. Andy Katz mentioned it (barely) for ESPN. I assume other outlets covered it too. It certainly surfaced from local media coverage, but it was not a secret at the national level by any means. We even had a thread about it here and discussed the wording of the police report. Really the only thing that has changed since then is that more people are starting to believe these types of reports (or are at least willing to listen) rather than just shrugging them off. Baby steps, I guess.

53n206
01-29-2018, 12:55 AM
It's no longer "Boys will be boys." Thank the Lord.

PackMan97
01-29-2018, 04:32 AM
It's no longer "Boys will be boys." Thank the Lord.

I have two young boys, I waiver day to day thinking "thank goodness I have boys" instead of girls...and then I think each one of these creeps was somebodys son.

toughbuff1
01-29-2018, 07:27 AM
Watching sportscenter this morning, and Izzo is starting to feel the heat. I really really liked Izzo, but this is hard to get past. I know we're all humans and everybody makes mistakes, but his inaction on this matter certainly makes me view him differently.

budwom
01-29-2018, 08:11 AM
Izzo needs to keep quiet. Every time he speaks he digs a deeper hole.

MChambers
01-29-2018, 08:54 AM
Izzo faced questions from an ESPN OTL reporter yesterday, following MSU’s win over some Big Ten team from Alaska. I’m not impressed by his responses, which are to the effect that he has always cooperated with investigations. On the other hand, he’s probably being advised to limit his responses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/01/28/tom-izzo-says-michigan-state-will-cooperate-with-any-investigation-and-always-have/?utm_term=.badfa2f7bcde

sagegrouse
01-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Izzo faced questions from an ESPN OTL reporter yesterday, following MSU’s win over some Big Ten team from Alaska. I’m not impressed by his responses, which are to the effect that he has always cooperated with investigations. On the other hand, he’s probably being advised to limit his responses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/01/28/tom-izzo-says-michigan-state-will-cooperate-with-any-investigation-and-always-have/?utm_term=.badfa2f7bcde

Announcer Jim Spanarkel pushed him, although politely, in the post-game interview. Izzo looked very uneasy during the session.