PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Ollie and Uconn under Investigation

uh_no
01-26-2018, 01:02 AM
People know I'm a big Uconn fan.....but if the past few years results are boosted by cheating, I don't want to know what a clean Ollie program looks like....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22218489/connecticut-huskies-men-basketball-program-ncaa-investigation

plimnko
01-26-2018, 05:55 AM
just follow the carolina model........no problem

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-26-2018, 07:26 AM
just follow the carolina model...no problem
The “Typo Defense”... it’s like the famed amoeba defense — just go wherever you have to go to get the job done.

budwom
01-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Which is better, the fact that they're being investigated (good), the fact that they are abysmal KenPom #151, (better) or both (best)?

I rejoice in their irrelevance, and once again thank the good folks at BC for keeping them out of the ACC. May they rot in nutmeg sauce.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Which is better, the fact that they're being investigated (good), the fact that they are abysmal KenPom #151, (better) or both (best)?

I rejoice in their irrelevance, and once again thank the good folks at BC for keeping them out of the ACC. May they rot in nutmeg sauce.

Yeaj. Thank goodness we were able to land Louisville instead...

budwom
01-26-2018, 08:45 AM

ha, ok, you got me there...

uh_no
01-26-2018, 08:46 AM

given UNC and Miami and FSU, it seems Syracuse and Louisville fit right in.

left_hook_lacey
01-26-2018, 08:49 AM
Not a lot of info in the article. Could be much Ado about nothing.

BeachBlueDevil
01-26-2018, 09:09 AM
People know I'm a big Uconn fan....but if the past few years results are boosted by cheating, I don't want to know what a clean Ollie program looks like...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22218489/connecticut-huskies-men-basketball-program-ncaa-investigation

All this means to me is.... UConn for sure fires Ollie and use him as a scapegoat. In return the UConn program gets off with nothing more than maybe a slap on the wrist. Ollie more than likely ends up on an NBA staff somewhere. No harm, no foul.

weezie
01-26-2018, 09:11 AM
...I rejoice in their irrelevance...May they rot in nutmeg sauce.

Ooo, yum. Sounds like that would go well with mango compote, huskie meat in nutmeg sauce.

devildeac
01-26-2018, 10:24 AM
given UNC and Miami and FSU, it seems Syracuse and Louisville fit right in.

Don't forget that ND football trainer (tutor?). :rolleyes:

IrishDevil
01-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Don't forget that ND football trainer (tutor?). :rolleyes:

I am going to assume that the eyeroll here indicates a joke, devildeac, as that incident (student tutor cheating for athletes under the table), the way the university handled it (immediately withholding athletes from competition upon discovery, retroactively changing grades to reflect cheating and render athletes ineligble, self-reporting), and the punishment by the NCAA (harsh, and not just relative to "u"NC) all differ quite starkly from the various misdeeds referred to in this thread.

Otherwise, them's fightin' words/emojis.

75Crazie
01-26-2018, 12:48 PM
I just don't get it. Carolina has provided the template for getting away with athletic/scholastic cheating. How can it be that difficult for other schools to follow suit?

devildeac
01-26-2018, 01:12 PM
I am going to assume that the eyeroll here indicates a joke, devildeac, as that incident (student tutor cheating for athletes under the table), the way the university handled it (immediately withholding athletes from competition upon discovery, retroactively changing grades to reflect cheating and render athletes ineligble, self-reporting), and the punishment by the NCAA (harsh, and not just relative to "u"NC) all differ quite starkly from the various misdeeds referred to in this thread.

Otherwise, them's fightin' words/emojis.

Agreed. No fightin' needed, even though it's part of your school's nickname ;). ND handled it extremely well. ND's academic records/standards for decades stand near the top of ncaa rankings, unlike other schools and misdeeds we've discussed.

budwom
01-26-2018, 03:20 PM
I just don't get it. Carolina has provided the template for getting away with athletic/scholastic cheating. How can it be that difficult for other schools to follow suit?

What separates the two (unc vs uconn) is unc managed to win a bunch of stuff while cheating...how inept can Kevin Ollie be IF (emphasis) he cheated in order to get the 151st ranked team?
Does he give recruits illegal vouchers for Waffle House or something?

uh_no
01-26-2018, 03:37 PM
What separates the two (unc vs uconn) is unc managed to win a bunch of stuff while cheating...how inept can Kevin Ollie be IF (emphasis) he cheated in order to get the 151st ranked team?

yeah. it's what got shabazz nappier through the tournament when uconn couldn't feed him enough.

hurleyfor3
01-26-2018, 03:53 PM

Because Step 1 is "be Carolina"

BandAlum83
01-26-2018, 08:23 PM

In a real downer for the region, I don't believe there are any Waffle Houses in Connecticut.

(Written as I just finished a double origininal chili cheese deluxe plate with iced tea - unsweet)

devildeac
01-26-2018, 09:30 PM
In a real downer for the region, I don't believe there are any Waffle Houses in Connecticut.

(Written as I just finished a double origininal chili cheese deluxe plate with iced tea - unsweet)

Happy to read you were "watching/conserving/limiting" your calories.

:rolleyes:

budwom
01-26-2018, 10:54 PM

And now you're closing in on why this is such a major violation

duketaylor
01-26-2018, 11:53 PM
Yep, I think you're right, I did this search on waffle houses in Conn and this emerged:

https://www.yellowpages.com/search-map/bridgeport-ct/waffle-house

No true Waffle Houses, what a shame!!

MChambers
01-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Yep, I think you're right, I did this search on waffle houses in Conn and this emerged:

https://www.yellowpages.com/search-map/bridgeport-ct/waffle-house

No true Waffle Houses, what a shame!!

If there’s some sort of disaster in Connecticut, where will the FEMA folks meet?

devildeac
01-27-2018, 12:30 PM
If there’s some sort of disaster in Connecticut, where will the FEMA folks meet?

In New York.