PDA

View Full Version : Louisville to Vacate Title for Adidas Scandal

richardjackson199
01-24-2018, 10:37 PM
It's being reported that Louisville to Vacate Title and Pay large Fine for their role in Adidas Scandal:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/espn-insider-says-louisville-will-vacate-title-and-pay-hefty-fine-for-adidas-scandal/ar-AAv87dT?li=BBnba9I

devildeac
01-24-2018, 10:43 PM
It's being reported that Louisville to Vacate Title and Pay large Fine for their role in Adidas Scandal:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/espn-insider-says-louisville-will-vacate-title-and-pay-hefty-fine-for-adidas-scandal/ar-AAv87dT?li=BBnba9I

If only they'd offered money (fake/paper classes and hookers) to the general student body...

:rolleyes:

Scorp4me
01-24-2018, 11:32 PM
I remember back when there was talk of taking Louisville in the ACC some didn't want to because they felt they would tarnish the ACC's reputation. Who knew they'd actually handle their transgressions better than Carolina, a member we already had.

Nugget
01-25-2018, 12:47 AM
I remember back when there was talk of taking Louisville in the ACC some didn't want to because they felt they would tarnish the ACC's reputation. Who knew they'd actually handle their transgressions better than Carolina, a member we already had.

While warranted, this just makes it all the more galling at how Carolina has skated away given that it is obvious to anyone with 2 eyes that what Carolina did was 10x more corrosive than Louisville

PackMan97
01-25-2018, 12:54 AM
While warranted, this just makes it all the more galling at how Carolina has skated away given that it is obvious to anyone with 2 eyes that what Carolina did was 10x more corrosive than Louisville

Given the punishment UNC recieved...I'm going to go with "what Carolina is still doing".

Hingeknocker
01-25-2018, 01:43 AM
This makes our Elite 8 loss to Louisville sting about 2% more. I'll never give up the contention that we win that game if Ware's horrific injury doesn't happen.

subzero02
01-25-2018, 02:56 AM
This makes our Elite 8 loss to Louisville sting about 2% more. I'll never give up the contention that we win that game if Ware's horrific injury doesn't happen.

We have a very good chance to win if that injury doesn't happen. However, we should never have been in the same region as #1 overall seed louisville because we should have beaten Maryland in the ACC tournament. If we beat Maryland we are a 1 seed imo and don't see the Cardinals until the final four.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-25-2018, 05:57 AM
Didn’t slick rick get a tattoo on his back after they won? That’s gotta be a helluva reminder every morning.

Edit: I guess it was his shoulder. Even worse since he can see it so easily.

TKG
01-25-2018, 06:50 AM
Emmert and the organization he "leads" are corrupt -- selective enforcement.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2018, 07:04 AM
Louisville should have done it The Carolina Way.

weezie
01-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Didn’t slick rick get a tattoo on his back after they won? That’s gotta be a helluva reminder every morning.

Standing ovation. Outstanding performance in memory retrieval. First rate.

Rickshaw
01-25-2018, 08:10 AM
The NCAA will probably just give that banner to roy.

left_hook_lacey
01-25-2018, 08:33 AM

Sounds like the source isn't that reliable. I'll put this in "I'll believe when I see it" file.

left_hook_lacey
01-25-2018, 08:35 AM

According to the tweet, it doesn't sound like this is self-imposed. The tweet says "they will have to pay $15 million in fines". That doesn't sound like it is voluntary. But, again, if you read the article, it sounds like this guy has a history of trying to break stories, but is often wrong. We'll see.

JasonEvans
01-25-2018, 11:12 AM
According to the tweet, it doesn't sound like this is self-imposed. The tweet says "they will have to pay $15 million in fines". That doesn't sound like it is voluntary. But, again, if you read the article, it sounds like this guy has a history of trying to break stories, but is often wrong. We'll see.

Dan Dakich. He's a clown and not at all reliable, especially for substantive breaking news like this.

Also, it is worth noting that The NCAA has not yet issued a notice of allegations against Louisville for the Adidas scandal. The penalties he is talking about here stem from the 2010-2014 scandal involving strippers (hookers?) and other improper benefits to players. In addition to the 2013 National Title, a 2012 Final Four appearance could be vacated from that scandal.

A $15mil fine and vacating numerous wins (and banners) would not be at all a surprise in this scandal. In fact, it is pretty much what many folks have assumed would happen since the NCAA issued their NOI well over a year ago. The Adidas mess is a completely separate scandal Louisville needs to deal with in the future.

-Jason "here's hoping the NCAA gives them the death penalty so the ACC can kick them out of the league... they are a huge embarrassment, do not fit culturally with the other universities, and should not be part of this conference" Evans

richardjackson199
01-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Dan Dakich. He's a clown and not at all reliable, especially for substantive breaking news like this.

Also, it is worth noting that The NCAA has not yet issued a notice of allegations against Louisville for the Adidas scandal. The penalties he is talking about here stem from the 2010-2014 scandal involving strippers (hookers?) and other improper benefits to players. In addition to the 2013 National Title, a 2012 Final Four appearance could be vacated from that scandal.

A $15mil fine and vacating numerous wins (and banners) would not be at all a surprise in this scandal. In fact, it is pretty much what many folks have assumed would happen since the NCAA issued their NOI well over a year ago. The Adidas mess is a completely separate scandal Louisville needs to deal with in the future.

-Jason "here's hoping the NCAA gives them the death penalty so the ACC can kick them out of the league... they are a huge embarrassment, do not fit culturally with the other universities, and should not be part of this conference" Evans

Jason your analysis and prediction makes infinitely more sense. I was wondering why they were tying it to the Adidas scandal and not the former scandal, but that is what the article said. I assumed ESPN Dan Dakich wouldn't break a story like this unless he knew, but it definitely sounds like he may not have any or all his facts straight. It does sound like Louisville will probably lose that banner, though, and soon.

Then Adidas after that really could be death penalty. The Adidas thing was really bad. Firing the AD and Pitino were smart moves.

superdave
01-25-2018, 12:18 PM

LOL. Ouch. That is rough.

superdave
01-25-2018, 12:20 PM

2nd largest athletic department budget in the conference. They aint going anywhere!

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2018, 12:26 PM
2nd largest athletic department budget in the conference. They aint going anywhere!

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

It's a miracle!!! Carolina spent exactly as much as they made! Only school in the ACC to do so.

devildeac
01-25-2018, 12:30 PM
It's a miracle!!! Carolina spent exactly as much as they made! Only school in the ACC to do so.

Inquiring minds want to know: How'd they account for that extra $18M+ they spent on "PR" fees?

Oh, wait. Private funds, right?

:rolleyes::mad:

ipatent
01-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Has a title ever been vacated?

Duke79UNLV77
01-25-2018, 02:03 PM

Wait, are we talking about Louisville or UNC now? It's all so confusing.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2018, 02:13 PM

I was thinking Michigan, but they only have a Final Four banner in their basement, not a national championship.

Barring a successful appeal to a ruling that was handed down..., Louisville is going to become the first team in college basketball history to have to take down a national title banner.
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/06/15/if-louisville-vacates-the-2013-national-title-does-michigan-win-the-national-title/

Ironically, Louisville beat Michigan for that 2013 title.

szstark
01-25-2018, 02:33 PM

No - several Final Four appearances (2 by our friend Calipari at two different schools), but no titles.

Saratoga2
01-25-2018, 02:42 PM
No - several Final Four appearances (2 by our friend Calipari at two different schools), but no titles.

Interestingly, both Pitino and Calipari have been Kentucky coaches.

kako
01-25-2018, 02:50 PM

With the ESPN layoffs, I can't understand why he hasn't been one of them. I watch him on Big 10 games, and often he's just wrong in his analysis.

That being said, as a player he did take out MJ in '84, so the 9F in my can't totally diss him.

Bluedog
01-25-2018, 03:29 PM
I actually like Dakich when he calls games, I find him refreshing compared to some of the other ESPN guys. He seemed to be very complimentary of Duke the couple times we've had him (vs ND?). I don't have much of an opinion on him as it relates to being a source for intel or commentary oustide of during games though. I think this thread should be re-titled with a question mark. And it also sounds like the "for Adidas Scandal" part might be wrong too.

miramar
01-25-2018, 03:36 PM

We got pummeled 50-31 in the second half, not to mention that it was really tough on Seth Curry's leg when there was only one day between games.

We would have had a much better chance if it had been the first game of the weekend, but it wasn't to be.

I guess the penalty came way too late.

Hingeknocker
01-25-2018, 03:45 PM
We got pummeled 50-31 in the second half, not to mention that it was really tough on Seth Curry's leg when there was only one day between games.

We would have had a much better chance if it had been the first game of the weekend, but it wasn't to be.

As soon as the halftime reporter mentioned that the site of the Final 4 that year was also Ware's hometown of Atlanta, I knew we were doomed. Louisville came out of that locker room a different, motivated team.

(Sure, there are lots of reasons that could have happened, including the fact that Louisville was a very talented team that year and Duke faced its own limitations as you mention, but what is the internet for if not for steadfastly holding on to unprovable theories?)

Bluedog
01-25-2018, 03:48 PM

As soon as the halftime reporter mentioned that the site of the Final 4 that year was also Ware's hometown of Atlanta, I knew we were doomed. Louisville came out of that locker room a different, motivated team.

(Sure, there are lots of reasons that could have happened, including the fact that Louisville was a very talented team that year and Duke faced its own limitations as you mention, but what is the internet for if not for steadfastly holding on to unprovable theories?)

It was also essentially a road game, which is tough to overcome. I was there and have never been in a more hostile sporting environment in my life. Louisville fans were brutal (but to their credit, they made it feel like a home game for their team).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-25-2018, 03:53 PM

That was a horrible, horrible game. I was as excited going into that game as I had been for any game in recent memory. Both teams had potential to win it all, and we certainly had the talent to beat Louisville.

The Ware injury was so shocking and gruesome, it sucked all the energy out of me as a fan. I can't even imagine what it was like for players on either team. Unlike anything I have ever witnessed in sports, though I am sure there are similar examples (was it NCSU/SoCar State earlier this year?).

After the injury, I admittedly sorta checked out. I remember watching the rest of the game about half-engaged, and nor being surprised we lost.

Would be interesting to hear accounts from the Duke players about that day.

JasonEvans
01-25-2018, 03:54 PM
And it also sounds like the "for Adidas Scandal" part might be wrong too.

Unless Louisville has cut some kind of deal with the NCAA to plead to a crime that the NCAA has not yet charged them with... and the plea involves being punished for something that has nothing at all to do with the Adidas scandal... then there is no way this news is connected to the Adidas scandal.

Put another way... this is not in any way connected to the Adidas scandal ;)

TKG
01-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Unless Louisville has cut some kind of deal with the NCAA to plead to a crime that the NCAA has not yet charged them with... and the plea involves being punished for something that has nothing at all to do with the Adidas scandal... then there is no way this news is connected to the Adidas scandal.

Maybe it's the death penalty for multiple decades of fake classes.......oh, wait..........

English
01-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Maybe it's the death penalty for multiple decades of fake classes....oh, wait......

"University athletic department officials providing hookers to recruits and current student-athletes is not in the NCAA's jurisdiction. The NCAA is rewriting all the rules to make a case it's already decided."
- Jay Bilas, probably

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-26-2018, 10:26 AM
"University athletic department officials providing hookers to recruits and current student-athletes is not in the NCAA's jurisdiction. The NCAA is rewriting all the rules to make a case it's already decided."
- Jay Bilas, probably
It was typo on UL’s part. They didn’t provide hookers just to recruits. They made them generally available to all undergrads. They just needed to access this standard benefit through the university’s online registration portal.

JasonEvans
01-26-2018, 12:02 PM
It was typo on UL’s part.

Not "hookers," what we meant to say was "cookers," as in chefs. We provided chefs for the basketball team. Nothing wrong with that, right?

-Jason "the H and the C are so close to each other on the keyboard... anyone could make this mistake. Louisville should be cleared of any and all charges right away!" Evans

left_hook_lacey
01-26-2018, 12:05 PM
Not "hookers," what we meant to say was "cookers," as in chefs. We provided chefs for the basketball team. Nothing wrong with that, right?

-Jason "the H and the C are so close to each other on the keyboard... anyone could make this mistake. Louisville should be cleared of any and all charges right away!" Evans

More like "cookers" that cook the books.

swood1000
01-26-2018, 12:28 PM

Except that the Public Infractions Decision (https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=102620) for the prior infraction was announced June 15, 2017, and the repeat-violator legislation (“death penalty”) (http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/enforcement-process-penalties) is applicable to an institution if, within a five-year period, the following conditions exist:

• Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs and

• The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case. The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.

According to the justice department complaint (https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998751/download) the meeting in the motel room that was bugged by the FBI happened on July 27, 2017, during which we had such conversations as:

Noting that University-6 [Louisville] was already on probation with the NCAA, DAWKINS indicated that they would have to be particularly careful with how they passed money to Player-11 and his family. Coach-1 [Louisville assistant basketball coach] agreed, stating "we gotta be very low key."

devildeac
01-26-2018, 01:04 PM
Except that the Public Infractions Decision (https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=102620) for the prior infraction was announced June 15, 2017, and the repeat-violator legislation (“death penalty”) (http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/enforcement-process-penalties) is applicable to an institution if, within a five-year period, the following conditions exist:

• Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs and

• The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case. The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.

According to the justice department complaint (https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998751/download) the meeting in the motel room that was bugged by the FBI happened on July 27, 2017, during which we had such conversations as:

Unless, of course, you're "u"nc. :mad:

cato
01-26-2018, 01:06 PM
With the ESPN layoffs, I can't understand why he hasn't been one of them. I watch him on Big 10 games, and often he's just wrong in his analysis.

That being said, as a player he did take out MJ in '84, so the 9F in my can't totally diss him.

Presumably because they didn’t have to pay him too much.

swood1000
01-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Unless, of course, you're "u"nc. :mad:

Some people are just extraordinarily difficult to emulate in the area of accomplished and practiced corruption and cover-up. Few can be expected to measure up to such a standard.