PDA

View Full Version : Javin DeLaurier

killerleft
01-24-2018, 12:27 PM
I love almost everything I see from Javin DeLaurier. His wonderful athletic ability, his effort, his drive- he seems to be a great teammate, too.

But I wonder if basketball is the sport he should be playing. Man, Coach Cut could really use a great defensive end with his skills. Probably could use him at safety, also.

And I'd love to see him in the Olympics as a triple jumper or high jumper, maybe even a hurdler. He might be a natural volleyballer.

Can his obvious trait to always go all out be harnessed still? Could he still be a top basketballer? I don't know.

But, boy, it would have been great to watch him at Wallace Wade, living up to the nickname Javin "Too Tall" DeLaurier*!

Have any of the rest of you had similar thoughts regarding Javin?

* Younger folks might need to google Ed "Too Tall" Jones to get the reference.:)

jimsumner
01-24-2018, 12:57 PM
I love almost everything I see from Javin DeLaurier. His wonderful athletic ability, his effort, his drive- he seems to be a great teammate, too.

But I wonder if basketball is the sport he should be playing. Man, Coach Cut could really use a great defensive end with his skills. Probably could use him at safety, also.

And I'd love to see him in the Olympics as a triple jumper or high jumper, maybe even a hurdler. He might be a natural volleyballer.

Can his obvious trait to always go all out be harnessed still? Could he still be a top basketballer? I don't know.

But, boy, it would have been great to watch him at Wallace Wade, living up to the nickname Javin "Too Tall" DeLaurier*!

* Younger folks might need to google Ed "Too Tall" Jones to get the reference.:)

Right. Football history is just full of great 6-10 safeties.

I think he picked the right sport.

Cut actually had an athlete like that, much shorter but an outstanding high-school track athlete. Isaac Blakeney. About 6-6. Cut tried him at linebacker, defensive end, and tight end, before he found a home at wide receiver.

gofurman
01-24-2018, 01:06 PM
Right. Football history is just full of great 6-10 safeties.

I think he picked the right sport.

Cut actually had an athlete like that, much shorter but an outstanding high-school track athlete. Isaac Blakeney. About 6-6. Cut tried him at linebacker, defensive end, and tight end, before he found a home at wide receiver.

Ed 'too tall' Jones was dominant as a DE at 6'9.. so there is precedent. He was a Superbowl winner.. All pro. Not sure his weight?

jimsumner
01-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Ed 'too tall' Jones was dominant as a DE at 6'9.. so there is precedent. He was a Superbowl winner.. All pro. Not sure his weight?

Jones played at around 270.

And there's a big difference between playing defensive end at that height and playing safety at that height.

Not really a precedent, IMO.

ipatent
01-24-2018, 01:30 PM
I like him fine as a member of the basketball team, just wish he'd foul at a lower rate.

killerleft
01-24-2018, 04:48 PM
I like him fine as a member of the basketball team, just wish he'd foul at a lower rate.

I like him as a basketball player, too. Ed "Too Tall" is a stretch:o, perhaps, but I could see him doing the appropriate body work to be a legitimate football player.

BeachBlueDevil
01-24-2018, 04:59 PM
"Too Tall" was a good football player that for sure... Stats and accolades tell us so. But at 6'9 in football you have to be one thing since you'd be giving a lot of leverage and that is bull strong. Basketball strong and football strong are two different things and "Too Tall" at 270 was football strong.

A modern day "Too Tall" would be Calias Campbell from the Jags. He's 6'8 and 300lbs and that dude is a mountain of a man! It's pretty insane that a guy that tall is playing defensive tackle because of amount of leverage he gives up being so tall. But again, he makes up for it by more than likely being one of the strongest guys on the field. So it's needless to say, Javin would need to bulk up and spend a little more time in the weight room slamming iron.

Billy Dat
01-24-2018, 05:02 PM
If he was a gymnast, he probably wouldn't need help mounting the rings, right?

English
01-24-2018, 05:06 PM
"Too Tall" was a good football player that for sure... Stats and accolades tell us so. But at 6'9 in football you have to be one thing since you'd be giving a lot of leverage and that is bull strong. Basketball strong and football strong are two different things and "Too Tall" at 270 was football strong.

A modern day "Too Tall" would be Calias Campbell from the Jags. He's 6'8 and 300lbs and that dude is a mountain of a man! It's pretty insane that a guy that tall is playing defensive tackle because of amount of leverage he gives up being so tall. But again, he makes up for it by more than likely being one of the strongest guys on the field. So it's needless to say, Javin would need to bulk up and spend a little more time in the weight room slamming iron.

At risk of getting banned from these parts, Julius Peppers is another, ummm, above average 6’8 football player. Below average student-athlete, once upon a time, but he’s an amazing DE at 6’8, 275#. Of course, see aforementioned football strong vs. basketball strong. I don’t see Javin getting there.

Speaking of, Javin’s latest injury has been a major bummer because he was really progressing nicely. The missed time seems to have him knocking some rust off, and perhaps the game is moving a bit too quickly for him right now.

nmduke2001
01-24-2018, 05:51 PM

I think Javin is in the exact right sport, but I bet he could be a world class goal keeper.

devildeac
01-24-2018, 06:16 PM
At risk of getting banned from these parts, Julius Peppers is another, ummm, above average 6’8 football player. Below average student-athlete, once upon a time, but he’s an amazing DE at 6’8, 275#. Of course, see aforementioned football strong vs. basketball strong. I don’t see Javin getting there.

Speaking of, Javin’s latest injury has been a major bummer because he was really progressing nicely. The missed time seems to have him knocking some rust off, and perhaps the game is moving a bit too quickly for him right now.

The gift that keeps on giving. One quibble: You used student-athlete in the same sentence for a "u"nc MBB/FB player. I'll give you athlete, a very, very good athlete.

https://www.google.com/search?q=julius+peppers+transcript&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=WJZALUGVarUymM%253A%252CiW6TigLZ6V_wYM%252C_&usg=__QLsb4HtrBnf3RdgIq4iciKRJlaA%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEr9nS2_HYAhWStlMKHcbHAfwQ9QEIKzAB#imgr c=WJZALUGVarUymM:

Key letters:

GPA

Key numbers:

"The transcript lists a 1.824 GPA, beginning with classes during the summer of 1998 and finishing in the fall of 2001 during Peppers' last year on the football field for the Tar Heels under first-year coach John Bunting."

Yet, no punishment. (I've said enough.)

ChillinDuke
01-24-2018, 06:44 PM
What the heck is this thread even?

- Chillin

Devilwin
01-24-2018, 06:50 PM
I recall Brad Evans, WR on the football team and a guard on the basketball team in the early 70's. Pretty good ball player in both sports.

jimsumner
01-24-2018, 07:02 PM
I recall Brad Evans, WR on the football team and a guard on the basketball team in the early 70's. Pretty good ball player in both sports.

Sure. But he wasn't 6-10. The football/basketball overlap of players that height is very small.

No pun intended.

devilseven
01-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Sure. But he wasn't 6-10. The football/basketball overlap of players that height is very small.

No pun intended.

The tallest football/basketball player that I can recall was Reggie Love. Seems like he is about 6-6.

MartyClark
01-24-2018, 07:08 PM
I like the kid and think he is very athletic. He's not "thick" enough to play football. He would be destroyed as defensive end or tight end.

One of my nephews is a trainer of some renown in Chicago. He has trained a number of professional athletes. He says the NBA guys look muscular on t.v. but they are "birds" compared to the NFL guys.

No knock on DeLaurer who I think will become a very good player for Duke.

TruBlu
01-24-2018, 07:27 PM
We might be able to complete a fade pattern in the end zone with Javin as a wide out or tight end.:rolleyes:

jimsumner
01-24-2018, 07:32 PM
The tallest football/basketball player that I can recall was Reggie Love. Seems like he is about 6-6.

Love is 6-4. He was a wide receiver.

Tight end Dave Colonna was a basketball walk-on for one season. He was in the 6-4, 245-pound range.

Going to the way-back machine for this one. But Virginia had a student-athlete in the 1960s named John Naponick. 6-10, 280 or so. Played center for the basketball team, offensive tackle for the football team. Started for both, IIRC.

But did not play safety. :)

DU82
01-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Mike Tissaw tried out for the Cowboys after graduation as a tight end. Didn't make the team, but did make an impression. Not too many football players with a philosophy degree. I remember an article on him in (I believe) the Dallas paper that summer. (I assume in 1983, the summer after he graduated.)

Bull City Proud
01-24-2018, 08:25 PM

Great kid, offensive liability though.

MChambers
01-24-2018, 08:26 PM
The same year Coach K had his first great recruiting class, Michigan had a great class too. One of the recruits was a 6’8” forward named Paul Jokisch. Jokisch only played two years of hoops, then moved to the gridiron for Bo Schembechler. He was a good receiver, good enough to be drafted in the 5th round, but never played in the NFL.

Interesting tidbit. The least heralded of the Michigan recruits that year ended up being the most talented player: Roy Tarpley.

sagegrouse
01-24-2018, 08:55 PM

The story on Julius Peppers was that, in high school, at the end of a long practice with wind sprints, everyone is sprawled on the field except Peppers. He was doing back handsprings the entire length of the football field. Ah, what could have been had he come to Duke.

dukelifer
01-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Mike Tissaw tried out for the Cowboys after graduation as a tight end. Didn't make the team, but did make an impression. Not too many football players with a philosophy degree. I remember an article on him in (I believe) the Dallas paper that summer. (I assume in 1983, the summer after he graduated.)

Wow- I thought that guy had the worse hands I had ever seen in a player.

jimsumner
01-24-2018, 10:04 PM
During the 1960s, the Dallas Cowboys specialized in turning college-basketball players into NFL players. Cornell Green, Pete Gent, Preston Pearson.

And of course, Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham made the jump more recently.

Sam Clancy was a great college basketball player at Pitt but did not play football in college. He had a long and distinguished career as an NFL defensive end. But Clancy was a bruiser on the hardcourt. 6-7, 250. I once saw him beat Duke in Cameron on a buzzer-beater.

The Cleveland Browns wanted to turn John Havlicek into a wide receiver.

Tony Gonzalez played both sports at Cal, but hoops was a bit of an afterthought.

R.C. Owens was a basketball star at Idaho.

And no one has mentioned Greg Paulus?

Other examples abound, some of which will occur to me at 4 A.M.

So, it can be done.

But team sports are becoming increasingly specialized these days.

I'm pretty certain DeLaurier picked the right sport.

DU82
01-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Sam Clancy was a great college basketball player at Pitt but did not play football in college. He had a long and distinguished career as an NFL defensive end. But Clancy was a bruiser on the hardcourt. 6-7, 250. I once saw him beat Duke in Cameron on a buzzer-beater.

Quietest I ever "heard" Cameron was after Clancy went up for a shot or rebound, was undercut, and landed head-first. The crowd immediately went silent until he got up and went to the bench. (With a typical good cheer from the crowd.) Then he went back in and beat us.

(1978-79 did not go any way how it was expected to. Such as losing to an unranked out-of-conference team like Pitt.)

Kedsy
01-24-2018, 11:27 PM

My freshman year. Clancy's arm was thicker than both my legs, combined. His legs, I can't even begin to describe how thick they were. He was a huge, huge man.

English
01-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Some cursory sleuthing on the Google machine has returned this (uncorroborated, but hey, it's on the internet--the Bleacher Report, no less--so it's beyond doubt) listing of the tallest players at each position in NFL history:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/797911-nfl-tallest-players-in-nfl-history-at-each-position

Javin wouldn't really fit in at safety (or anywhere in the defensive backfield, really), although if he put on somewhere between 40-80 pounds of muscle and fat, he could potentially fit in on the offensive or defensive line. Unless he became a DT, he would be the tallest player in NFL history at whatever position he chose.

This thread is both entertaining and bizarre. Carry on.

MCFinARL
01-25-2018, 10:43 AM
If he was a gymnast, he probably wouldn't need help mounting the rings, right?

Right--which is, of course, why he is far too tall to be a gymnast. But it's a wonderful visual image.

The idea of Javin as a triple jumper is intriguing, although the incredible strength and resilience required in that sport might be challenges for someone so tall, who might be more vulnerable to injury. It's also hard to imagine such a tall person getting the right stride down for hurdles, especially the 110 hurdles, which require precision.

Fun to think about, though.

superdave
01-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Peppers is a hall of fame defensive end. #4 on the all time sacks list.

I saw him play in the Dean Dome in person on a number of occasions and I believe who could have had an 8-10 year career in the NBA. He was just a freak athlete for his size, like in the Barkley/Westbrook/Bo Jackson mold.

Pghdukie
01-25-2018, 07:39 PM
Sir or Madam, BO JACKSON was in a category unknown to the mere mortal pro sports athletes. He was that good.

DU82
01-25-2018, 07:46 PM
Sir or Madam, BO JACKSON was in a category unknown to the mere mortal pro sports athletes. He was that good.

Almost as good a two sport athlete as Dick Groat.

MChambers
01-25-2018, 07:56 PM
My freshman year. Clancy's arm was thicker than both my legs, combined. His legs, I can't even begin to describe how thick they were. He was a huge, huge man.

My senior year. Very disappointing game.

lotusland
01-25-2018, 08:14 PM

Jedaveon Clowney is 6’8 280ish. He’s way quicker than too tall ever was but not nearly as durable.

jjredickrules
01-25-2018, 08:33 PM

IDK why everyone on this thread is focusing on football. Volleyball is the first thing that comes to my mind when I watch him play. If men's volleyball were as popular as women's, I'm pretty confident he'd've picked that. Many very tall, high jumping women choose the latter over hoops.

Javin's basketball coordination is not quite where it needs to be. His hustle and athleticism are superb, though.

BD80
01-25-2018, 10:56 PM

Almost as good a two sport athlete as Dick Groat.

Jim Brown.

Drops mic.

jimsumner
01-25-2018, 11:14 PM
IDK why everyone on this thread is focusing on football. Volleyball is the first thing that comes to my mind when I watch him play. If men's volleyball were as popular as women's, I'm pretty confident he'd've picked that. Many very tall, high jumping women choose the latter over hoops.

Javin's basketball coordination is not quite where it needs to be. His hustle and athleticism are superb, though.

Keith Erickson was a starter on John Wooden's first two NCAA title teams and played for the U.S. Olympic Volleyball team in 1964. Long NBA career, mostly as a reserve.

He is 6-5. Wooden said he was the best athlete he ever coached.

There were lots of great multi-sport athletes in the pre-specialize-by-the-time-you're-12-era. Jackie Robinson might have been a better basketball player than baseball player and he might have been a better football player than either. Oklahoma recruited Mickey Mantle as a point guard. Dave Sime was a youth speed-skating champ before coming to Duke on a baseball scholarship before becoming the world's fastest man before become a football player. Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell were great track and field athletes in college. Ace Parker hit a home run in his first major-league at bat. Sandy Koufax was on a basketball scholarship at Cincinnati. We all know about Jim Thorpe.

Dozens of other examples. Hundreds. Literally.

gofurman
01-25-2018, 11:31 PM
The story on Julius Peppers was that, in high school, at the end of a long practice with wind sprints, everyone is sprawled on the field except Peppers. He was doing back handsprings the entire length of the football field. Ah, what could have been had he come to Duke.

Can't be that good. I mean he was 1) at UNC ... and 2) my Furman guys beat them 28-3 !! Try to comprehend that. My FCS Furman guys came into Chapel Hill and Destroyed UNC. W 63 scholarships to their 85 scholarship FBS team! Check it - 1999. Furman 28. Unc THREE. L. O. L. WEAK A&S stuff at UNC.

We were PAID several hundred K to come and be a loser. So UNC paid us to get beat. Lol. Had Peppers. ?Ryan Sims. Several NFL Guys. Two NFL studs just on DL !

http://goheels.com/news/1999/10/30/205469190.aspx

gofurman
01-25-2018, 11:36 PM
Jedaveon Clowney is 6’8 280ish. He’s way quicker than too tall ever was but not nearly as durable.

Jimmy Graham. ONE year of football at the U. Still amazes me an ALL PRO TE played one yr of college football. They missed out w that one. He was at the U as a basketball player. Anyway. 6'7

http://www.nfl.com/player/jimmygraham/497236/profile

subzero02
01-25-2018, 11:51 PM
Ronald Curry was a dominant football player at QB before an Achilles injury greatly diminished his athleticism. Coming out of high school, he was rated the top QB and PG prospect in the country. Iverson was also a great high school QB... a guy named Charlie Ward was decent at both sports too. In 2005, 6'6" Martellus Bennett actually put his name in the NBA Draft out of high school. After learning he wouldn't be taken in the first round, he withdrew his name before the draft and enrolled at Texas a & m with the intention of focusing on football. At 275 pounds, Bennett has been quite a force at tight end in the NFL.

CDu
01-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Jimmy Graham. ONE year of football at the U. Still amazes me an ALL PRO TE played one yr of college football. They missed out w that one. He was at the U as a basketball player. Anyway. 6'7

http://www.nfl.com/player/jimmygraham/497236/profile

Graham is impressive, but Antonio Gates was an even better TE who played no years of college football.

grad_devil
01-26-2018, 08:10 AM
Jim Brown.

Drops mic.

Jim Thorpe.

kicks over mic stand.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Jim Thorpe.

kicks over mic stand.

Jim Carrey

*eats a Dorito*

Am I doing this right?

grad_devil
01-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Jim Carrey

*eats a Dorito*

Am I doing this right?

Buzzzz. Nope, sorry.

You're supposed to name an athlete from decades ago and then drop something or perform a mild act of violence.I still give you points for the attempt.

e.g.,

Pheidippides

drops cape, kicks wall

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-26-2018, 08:38 AM
Jim Furyk!

*cracks his knuckles*

tbyers11
01-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Buzzzz. Nope, sorry.

You're supposed to name an athlete from decades ago and then drop something or perform a mild act of violence.I still give you points for the attempt.

e.g.,

Pheidippides

drops cape, kicks wall

Ooh, I think I get it.

However, I would have gone with

Pheidippides

drops over, kicks bucket

Duke95
01-26-2018, 09:01 AM
This thread is proof that this board has ADD.