PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Wake (Tue, 1/23, 9pm, ACCNtwk Extra) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
01-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Duke travels to Winston-Salem Tuesday night to take on the Deacs at their place. Late game and it looks like it will only be streaming - no cable channel. More to come.

MrPoon
01-21-2018, 04:35 PM
I’m sure others will do much more meaningful anylisis as we get closer to the game. Mine starts by asking who in the league office did Wake piss off? Back to back home games are good, but Virginia and Duke (rested) is a big ask for any team.

Hope Bolden is back and we keep building momentum into the harder parts of the schedule.

awhom111
01-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Duke travels to Winston-Salem Tuesday night to take on the Deacs at their place. Late game and it looks like it will only be streaming - no cable channel. More to come.

No, this will be on the ACC OTA Network again like the last game, although on fewer stations around the country.

TV stations and free, unrestricted stream:
http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/acc-network-mbb-180123.aspx

Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3275590.jpg

Black:
-On TV via station from list linked above
-Online via link posted above

Green:
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 789, AT&T U-Verse 615, Verizon FIOS 822)
-Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN

Neals384
01-21-2018, 07:07 PM
No, this will be on the ACC OTA Network again like the last game, although on fewer stations around the country.

Blackout Map:

Black:

Green:

Thank you awhom! My local channel does indeed carry some games as indicated on your list. However, they never list the games in their schedule. Vs. Wake last time, I recorded 2 xfiles reruns and yes, it was really Duke. Couldn't have found it without you!

Neals384
01-21-2018, 07:14 PM
Hoping Grayson puts in more han one basket this time, and hope we go zone to slow down Crawford.

gofurman
01-22-2018, 12:00 AM
I’m sure others will do much more meaningful anylisis as we get closer to the game. Mine starts by asking who in the league office did Wake piss off? Back to back home games are good, but Virginia and Duke (rested) is a big ask for any team.

Hope Bolden is back and we keep building momentum into the harder parts of the schedule.

Uva won by just 10. Any road game is tough. This will not be easy, though I hope to be wrong - maybe we turned a corner at Miami

kshepinthehouse
01-22-2018, 06:22 AM
I’m headed to the Joel to cheer on the Blue Devils tomorrow night. Wake has historically played is pretty well here and as always the crowd will be pumped. You may remember last year we needed a heroic performance from Luke Kennard to save us from the jaws of defeat down 10 in the last couple of minutes. Should be fun, although I hate the 9 o’clock starts!

budwom
01-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Games like this make DirecTV worthwhile, at least for me (even though everyone hates all cable and satellite companies, of course).
Great for football, too. It used to be you had to buy a special package each year, e.g. Full Court, to get these games...

Truth&Justise
01-22-2018, 09:52 AM
From my view, this is a classic trap game:

Team and fans might be looking ahead to UVA game
Recent win over Wake fuels over-confidence
Mid-week road game in a hostile environment
While successful, Duke is still VERY young

I think this will be a difficult game. Wake is very motivated to get the notch on their belt that they missed out on against UVA. We will need to be focused on this game, and not any other upcoming games. This should be a good indicator of our young team's maturity.

I still expect us to win, but don't be surprised if it's close.

uh_no
01-22-2018, 10:00 AM

I think this will be a difficult game. Wake is very motivated to get the notch on their belt that they missed out on against UVA. We will need to be focused on this game, and not any other upcoming games. This should be a good indicator of our young team's maturity.

given that we've lost to two mediocre teams on the road already, hopefully we're past the air of invincibility that would cause us to overlook a road game against a mediocre opponent.

That said, the defense has been extremely impressive the past four games. If duke continues to play at that level tomorrow night, we'll win going away.

Matches
01-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Wake always seems to play us tough in W-S. I expect a fired-up effort from them, and we will need to match it in order to win. Our talent clearly is superior but I expect this to be a tough game. They will not roll over.

Troublemaker
01-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Yep, beating a team in Cameron is obviously not the same task as beating them on the road. I don't know if a comeback win @Miami is enough to make me confident about an ACC road game yet. We have a chance to be on a 5-game winning streak heading into the marquee game on Saturday, but make no mistake, @Wake is the second-toughest game of this 5-game stretch. Let's see how the boys perform and whether the defensive improvement continues.

uh_no
01-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Yep, beating a team in Cameron is obviously not the same task as beating them on the road. I don't know if a comeback win @Miami is enough to make me confident about an ACC road game yet. We have a chance to be on a 5-game winning streak heading into the marquee game on Saturday, but make no mistake, @Wake is the second-toughest game of this 5-game stretch. Let's see how the boys perform and whether the defensive improvement continues.

i mean...that's not saying much when 4 of the 5 games are against the 2 worst teams in the league who are a combined 1-13.

If we fail to win the regular season this year, I think we lose any right to complain about "but so and so had an easier schedule" in the future.

JasonEvans
01-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Vs. Wake last time, I recorded 2 xfiles reruns and yes, it was really Duke. Couldn't have found it without you!

The truth is out there and awhom will lead you to it!

Troublemaker
01-22-2018, 11:12 AM
i mean...that's not saying much when 4 of the 5 games are against the 2 worst teams in the league who are a combined 1-13.

Agreed, but it's still factually true. I guess my point is this game is a clear step up from Pitt at home, @Pitt, and Wake at home. And in the other game during this stretch, we trailed by 13 with 8 minutes left. Let's see what happens @Wake.

If we fail to win the regular season this year, I think we lose any right to complain about "but so and so had an easier schedule" in the future.

Well, it depends. If we go 15-3 and UVA goes 16-2 (which is what happened in 2015), for example, I would still applaud our effort. It would not be a shameful performance that removes our right to speak about schedule strength in seasons past and future.

In general, if an opinion can be backed up, I'm okay with people voicing it. There have been seasons when teams benefitted from an easier conference schedule than Duke. 2017-18 is not one of them, however.

ncexnyc
01-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Wake has some talented kids, however they don't close very well.

Moore is a load, but seems to run out of gas at the end of games and both Woods and Crawford while very good players have serious lapses in judgement during crunch time.

Some better coaching by Manning could fix some of these issues as he could make better use of Saar in order to save Moore for crunch time and he could use some tough love on his talented, but wild child duo of Woods and Crawford.

uh_no
01-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Agreed, but it's still factually true.

Tyler Hansbrough and Michael Jordan combined have 6 NBA titles between them! Being factually true isn't usually a good defense of an argument.

Ultimately, I agree. wake has given decent games so far at home. I'm just not a fan of trumping up a 5 game winning streak when 3 of the games might as well have been shooting monkeys in a fish barrel. Sure, winning is great, but the quality of the teams has on average been significantly less than what we will run into the last month.

combined record through first 7 games: 11-37
combined record of last 7 games: 24-20

So lets go and be sure we beat wake....because it only gets harder from here...and we're going to need to be near perfect to take the #1 seed....outside duke on saturday, the chances of UVA dropping another one go down significantly....when they're good, they rarely lose late season games to teams outside about the top 20. Maybe florida state or miami can get them.

Troublemaker
01-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Tyler Hansbrough and Michael Jordan combined have 6 NBA titles between them! Being factually true isn't usually a good defense of an argument.

Ultimately, I agree. wake has given decent games so far at home. I'm just not a fan of trumping up a 5 game winning streak when 3 of the games might as well have been shooting monkeys in a fish barrel. Sure, winning is great, but the quality of the teams has on average been significantly less than what we will run into the last month.

combined record through first 7 games: 11-37
combined record of last 7 games: 24-20

So lets go and be sure we beat wake...because it only gets harder from here...and we're going to need to be near perfect to take the #1 seed...outside duke on saturday, the chances of UVA dropping another one go down significantly...when they're good, they rarely lose late season games to teams outside about the top 20. Maybe florida state or miami can get them.

Our signals have gotten crossed somewhere, my friend. My point was not to "trump up a 5 game winning streak" but to warn that this game could be tough and is a step up from three of our recent wins.

I agree that the schedule hardens from here.

richardjackson199
01-22-2018, 09:45 PM
Vegas has Duke by 9.5.

Let's just win by 1.5, stay healthy, and be ready if somebody tries to throw Grayson into the bench this year

CDu
01-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Vegas has Duke by 9.5.

Let's just win by 1.5, stay healthy, and be ready if somebody tries to throw Grayson into the bench this year

Gonna be tricky to win by 1.5...

Kedsy
01-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Vegas has Duke by 9.5.

If we win by 1.5, that would be a real trick.

EDIT: great minds and all that...

richardjackson199
01-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Gonna be tricky to win by 1.5...

Thankfully we have Tricky,

just the man to do it.

Bull City Proud
01-22-2018, 10:03 PM

I agree totally, trap game . We will win close game. Foul trouble may be an issue if we don’t play zone.

gofurman
01-22-2018, 10:30 PM
I agree totally, trap game . We will win close game. Foul trouble may be an issue if we don’t play zone.

All games scare me. We are 2-2 on road w losses to BC and State ... Wake is all we should be thinking about. These guys are much better than Pitt and hung w UVA

devildeac
01-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Vegas has Duke by 9.5.

Too soon.

I wish you hadn't reminded me of that incident. :mad::mad:

Kedsy
01-22-2018, 11:29 PM
All games scare me. We are 2-2 on road w losses to BC and State ... Wake is all we should be thinking about. These guys are much better than Pitt and hung w UVA

BC hung with UVa, too. At UVa.

moonpie23
01-23-2018, 08:40 AM
Total trap game. LJA is always a tough crowd that hates duke. If our entire starting 5 fouls out, it will be a tough game to win.

Saratoga2
01-23-2018, 09:01 AM

Wake is an ACC team with some talent who playes a physical game. We play them on the road with a fairly short rest with a team made up of freshmen with one senior who may be coming out of a funk. Our backup players were unimpressive in the Pitt game. Yes, our team is improving its defense with practice time and we are more talented, but this is no cakewalk. I like the improvement in Trent's game. Duval is also coming along nicely although needs to avoid trying to make spectacular passes and realize Duke will win if we minimize turnovers. Hope Grayson can continue to come out of his shooting slump and that will take us to another level.

thedukelamere
01-23-2018, 09:26 AM
Vegas has Duke by 9.5.

One can only hope the refs keep a lid on this one and snuff out anything heading in that direction...

Unfortunately we've already had a few games where MBIII and WCJr have been borderline assaulted, so I'm sure Doral Moore has been given the green light to test the whistles early in an attempt to keep our bigs out of their flow.

happydays1949
01-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Total trap game. LJA is always a tough crowd that hates duke. If our entire starting 5 fouls out, it will be a tough game to win.

We quit going to Winston to see Duke play Wake. That crowd is horrible.

proelitedota
01-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Spread if we play zone: 16.5
Spread if we play man: 2.5

I see what Vegas did there.

Billy Dat
01-23-2018, 05:22 PM
I didn't realize Wake had such a long losing streak going...5 in a row and 7 of 8. One assumes they'll be foaming at the mouth to win, but does anyone know if, maybe, they are about ready to roll over and quit on Danny? I hope for the latter but expect the former. We've got some momentum, let's keep it rolling tonight.

BullBlue
01-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Didn't Grayson outscore the entire Wake team during the first half when they played at Duke his freshman year? This would be a good night for a repeat performance.

ncexnyc
01-23-2018, 06:54 PM
We quit going to Winston to see Duke play Wake. That crowd is horrible.

You're kidding right? I took my family to a Duke vs Wake game a couple of years ago and even though I was sporting my Duke gear everyone was super nice to us.

dukelifer
01-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Need the guards to play well in this one- particularly GA. Always a tough game.

gofurman
01-23-2018, 07:55 PM

Blackout Map:

Black:

Green:

I am in the black area. When I go to the link it appears it will work on my iPhone ("your event will start at 9pm")... But on my iPad it says 'authentication error. Please try later '. Thoughts ?? I want to watch on my iPad

WiJoe
01-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Games like this make DirecTV worthwhile, at least for me (even though everyone hates all cable and satellite companies, of course).
Great for football, too. It used to be you had to buy a special package each year, e.g. Full Court, to get these games...

LOVE DirecTV. HATE the commercials on those upper channels. Same darn things over and over and over and over ...

jjredickrules
01-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Didn't Grayson outscore the entire Wake team during the first half when they played at Duke his freshman year? This would be a good night for a repeat performance.

For your amusement and reminiscence:
https://www.bloggersodear.com/2015/3/4/8152307/wake-forest-grayson-allen-duke-recap-final-score

This always brings me a smile :)

DavidBenAkiva
01-23-2018, 08:18 PM
No Bolden tonight :(

BullBlue
01-23-2018, 08:54 PM
For your amusement and reminiscence:
https://www.bloggersodear.com/2015/3/4/8152307/wake-forest-grayson-allen-duke-recap-final-score

This always brings me a smile :)

Ah ha ha ha. Thanks, I was highly amused. I hadn't seen that one before.

cato
01-23-2018, 08:56 PM
No Bolden tonight :(

Any news?

brevity
01-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Link to DBR Chat: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

Sorry if I stepped on any moderator toes.

DavidBenAkiva
01-23-2018, 09:02 PM
Saw a report on twitter that he has a Type or Grade 1 MCL Sprain. I am not a doctor, but I think that means that he will be out for an indefinite amount of time.

richardjackson199
01-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Saw a report on twitter that he has a Type or Grade 1 MCL Sprain. I am not a doctor, but I think that means that he will be out for an indefinite amount of time.

Sounds like a vigil is in order

WVDUKEFAN
01-23-2018, 09:04 PM
Anyone having issues viewing?

Brockt10
01-23-2018, 09:06 PM
Roanoke, va area provider screwed up and has the game starting at 10. Currently watching Black Lightning

moonpie23
01-23-2018, 09:07 PM
no chat tonight?

devildeac
01-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Link to DBR Chat: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

Sorry if I stepped on any moderator toes.

No problem-they can see any ortho surgeons they'd like at Duke-if they can find a good one;):rolleyes:.

WVDUKEFAN
01-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Roanoke, va area provider screwed up and has the game starting at 10. Currently watching Black Lightning

It's working now for me.

Brockt10
01-23-2018, 09:20 PM
It's working now for me.

Still black lightning for me. This sucks

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 09:32 PM
This game has zero flow and about 37 offensive fouls.

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 09:36 PM
This game has zero flow and about 37 offensive fouls.

Wow this is ugly.

rsvman
01-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Grayson looking more like Grayson on the shot, though

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Grayson looking more like Grayson on the shot, though

Agreed. Good hustle, too.

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 09:43 PM
A little bit of separation thanks to Alex.

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 09:44 PM
We are not rebounding well tonight. Moore is making a living on the offensive glass.

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 09:49 PM
Big three by Gary to go up 12.

Man, it's lonely in here tonight...

jwillfan
01-23-2018, 09:50 PM
Didn't see anyone posting this earlier: https://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-wake-forest-basketball-live-stats-01232018

Dub
01-23-2018, 09:51 PM
No complaints on my end. The M2M defense looks light years ahead of where we were two weeks ago. Every shot seems to be contested. Even as Wake’s quick guards penetrate, great help defense to force the contested midrange. Save for all the offensive rebounds from Moore, we’re trending up.

TheOldBattleship
01-23-2018, 09:56 PM
I've had my complaints this year with Grayson's decision-making, but my god, he's been incredibly good tonight. Just been everywhere on both ends, pops up out of nowhere, making not just the right decision but the most creatively right decision instantly. Amazing stuff from a senior who's playing about three steps ahead of everyone else on the floor so far.

jipops
01-23-2018, 09:58 PM
We don't end 1st halves well. But overall we were pretty solid.

ncexnyc
01-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Had our foot on their throats and let them up off the ground.

arnie
01-23-2018, 10:03 PM
Dorel MOORE destroying Carter and Bagley, yet we’re up 11. Suspect our bigs come out strong in 2nd.

CDu
01-23-2018, 10:03 PM
Not a great night so far offensively overall (given how bad Wake is on D), but very stingy defense. Hopefully the O wakes up and the D continues.

Saratoga2
01-23-2018, 10:05 PM
Just following on Game Tracker. Neither Duval or Bagley is efficient on offense but I can't tell why on Gametracker. Hope they can pick it up in the second half.Nice to see some balance. Allen, Trent and Carter doing their thing and a nice contribution from O'Connell. No se3rious foul trouble other than DeLaurier. Interesting that Jack White came in as replacement for Delaurier.

jipops
01-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Only 5 fg's have been made for Wake by guys not named Moore.

CDu
01-23-2018, 10:07 PM
Just following on Game Tracker. Neither Duval or Bagley is efficient on offense but I can't tell why on Gametracker. Hope they can pick it up in the second half.Nice to see some balance. Allen, Trent and Carter doing their thing and a nice contribution from O'Connell. No se3rious foul trouble other than DeLaurier. Interesting that Jack White came in as replacement for Delaurier.

Bagley had 2 fouls and Bolden is out. So White is the fourth big tonight.

jipops
01-23-2018, 10:08 PM
Not a great night so far offensively overall (given how bad Wake is on D), but very stingy defense. Hopefully the O wakes up and the D continues.

Seems the O has been taking a slight dip recently as the D has been picking up. I'm ok with that trade-off for now.

jipops
01-23-2018, 10:15 PM
Duval having a terrible night finishing at the rim

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 10:20 PM
Whoa...would that qualify as a Euro-step for Marvin?! Great move whatever it was.

CDu
01-23-2018, 10:20 PM

That is more like it. :)

ncexnyc
01-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Three officials and not one of them saw the Wake player catch Marvin on the shoulder during that last basket.

Dub
01-23-2018, 10:22 PM
I hate getting too excited because it’s Wake, but we’ve absolutely turned a corner on D. Also as teams focus on Bagley, Carter is shining big time. At some point it’s just going to be pick your poison. If our defense continues to play like this, we’re going to be tough with our offense that scores 80 sleepwalking.

TheOldBattleship
01-23-2018, 10:23 PM
Whoa...would that qualify as a Euro-step for Marvin?! Great move whatever it was.

I love when he gets past a guy in the paint, like on that play, but has been forced to slow down a bunch and so you're ready to watch him lay it in because nobody human could possibly dunk after switching directions twice and having his momentum going away from the bucket, etc., but whatever, it's still going to be a really astonishingly athletic play for a guy that big to be that athletic... and then he just dunks it with absolutely no effort. Like it's so easy. Man alive. It's incredible to watch.

LasVegas
01-23-2018, 10:26 PM
When will Javin make a put back dunk? Jeeeeesh!

UrinalCake
01-23-2018, 10:29 PM
The big Neanderthal dude for Wake is having a career night, but just picked up his third. We’re not really accustomed to playing AGAINST teams that play with two bigs.

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Wake inching back. Let's go, Duke.

jipops
01-23-2018, 10:37 PM
I hate getting too excited because it’s Wake, but we’ve absolutely turned a corner on D. Also as teams focus on Bagley, Carter is shining big time. At some point it’s just going to be pick your poison. If our defense continues to play like this, we’re going to be tough with our offense that scores 80 sleepwalking.

This doesn't look like an offense that will score 80 tonight. I've been good with the D though

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 10:38 PM
Lead down to 9. Wow.

rsvman
01-23-2018, 10:38 PM
More threes rattling out again. Need to step it up here

buddy
01-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Duval needs to be on the bench

karmacoma
01-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Duval has been flat out terrible offensively tonight. Replaced by Alex, finally.

BigZ
01-23-2018, 10:40 PM
The defense has evaporated

gocanes0506
01-23-2018, 10:44 PM

Organized basketball has evaporated in this game too.

PackMan97
01-23-2018, 10:45 PM

I would normally say you guys are playing with fire letting Wake hang around...but if there is one team in the ACC that has proven they can't close the deal, it's Wake.

Dub
01-23-2018, 10:47 PM
Tre having a rough night. Happens to the best of em. On the flip side, it’s such a beauty to watch us kick it up a gear when adversity hits. Lead goes from 19 down to 8, then back up to 14. We could probably pass it to Bagley and/or Carter every possession from this point and win walking away. As I said earlier, we score 80 sleepwalking.

flyingdutchdevil
01-23-2018, 10:54 PM
...I kinda want the crowd to get a free chicken sandwich...

BigZ
01-23-2018, 10:55 PM
Finally making foul shots

godins
01-23-2018, 10:59 PM
Lead's only 89.97% safe, guys...

http://www.lilliechilen.com/billjames/

Dub
01-23-2018, 11:03 PM
This doesn't look like an offense that will score 80 tonight. I've been good with the D though

Ahem...lol certainly not pretty but we always get there.