PDA

View Full Version : Solo: A Star Wars story collector thread

JasonEvans
01-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Until we start seeing it and have a spoiler thread, let this be the place for all things related to the upcoming Ron Howard flick.

I'll start with this article from GQ (https://www.gq.com/story/the-next-star-wars-movie-is-going-to-be-a-trainwreck) that predicts this film is going to be a total disaster.

Listen, I had hopes for Solo, even if it can't help being the ugly middle child of the new Star Wars franchise. But at this point, the movie has seemed completely doomed for a while now. Consistently good filmmakers Phil Lord and Chris Miller were removed from the project and replaced with occasionally good filmmaker Ron Howard. Add to that the fact we've yet to see a minute of footage with just four months until this movie's release. (That's right—this baby is supposed to come out in May!)

I can't wait to see how bad Alden Ehrenreich (http://www.screengeek.net/2017/12/24/disney-expects-solo-a-star-wars-story-to-bomb/)is in this flick.

Disney is bracing themselves for the Han Solo movie to bomb. They were worried about it before all The Last Jedi controversy, but now they’re essentially writing Solo off. The lead actor, Alden Ehrenreich, can’t act, and they had a dialogue coach on hand for all of his scenes. On top of that, the script is unworkable. It’s going to be a car crash.

-Jason "I remember watching Alden Ehrenreich play an actor who can't act in Hail, Ceasar and wondering if he was supposed to be that bad or the performance just came naturally to him... he was godawful in Beautiful Creatures" Evans

fuse
01-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Internet Hills I am willing to die on.....

Hail, Caesar is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen.
Beautiful Creatures was a horrible adapation of a book series I irrationally loved/guilty pleasure.

Disney going into Star Wars past is a far worse idea than blazing new trails in the Star Wars universe.

CameronBornAndBred
01-20-2018, 02:30 PM
I am far more excited to see the 90 minute finale of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IGibgEPfqs

than I am excited to see Solo. (McDiarmid is voicing Palpatine as the series draws to a close.)

BD80
01-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Will it be top-5 this summer?

CameronBornAndBred
01-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Will it be top-5 this summer?

I am going to be very tempted to leave it off, has lots of competition this year. With all the stories about what a mess the production has been, plus knowing that he never succumbs to any life threatening crises, plus so close on the heels of TLJ (not as much of a year long urging for a new SW movie) I predict enough of the movie going public will stay far, far away that it misses out.

Lord Ash
01-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Rebels is INCREDIBLY good. Sure, it has terrible moments, yes it is Disney, and yes some bits are cringeworthy, but overall it has done a great job filling in a lot of what Star Wars fanboys wanted... Thrawn in charge of the TIE Defender program?! Yes please!

gus
01-22-2018, 09:42 AM
I can't wait to see how bad Alden Ehrenreich is in this flick.

Holy cow, don't read the comments.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2018, 10:01 AM
The article that Jason linked was published at Christmas, and referenced a trailer coming out "this week". That obviously never happened. You know a movie's bad when they can't find 2 minutes of good material to stitch together. ;)
Supposedly, though, a trailer IS coming out this week, so we'll get a little taste of badness.

94duke
01-22-2018, 12:40 PM
More reshoots?

this can't be good. (article dated Jan 11)

http://www.screengeek.net/2018/01/11/solo-a-star-wars-story-more-reshoots/

wilson
01-22-2018, 02:00 PM
I'm super bummed about this. The Solo backstory is among the most compelling side-tales in the SW universe to me. I have long loved the character and am sad to hear that they're apparently making a hash of his standalone feature.
They just better not mess up Calrissian: A Star Wars story.

BD80
01-22-2018, 02:29 PM
I'm super bummed about this. The Solo backstory is among the most compelling side-tales in the SW universe to me. I have long loved the character and am sad to hear that they're apparently making a hash of his standalone feature. ...

I hear it is so bad that they are adding a bunch of CGI and retitling it: "Jar Jar: A Star Wars Story"

fuse
01-22-2018, 02:55 PM
I'm super bummed about this. The Solo backstory is among the most compelling side-tales in the SW universe to me. I have long loved the character and am sad to hear that they're apparently making a hash of his standalone feature.

Disney is counting on your nostalgia.

While I enjoy Han Solo, what I really enjoyed was Harrison Ford portraying Han Solo.

The whole premise of young Han Solo and living up to a legend ought to have scared most actors away.

I can agree the idea of learning more about Solo is compelling. A new actor in the role is a kiss of death.

Lord Ash
01-22-2018, 03:02 PM

Agreed. SUCH potential. Who wouldn't like a Han/Lando buddy movie with a bit of Chewie thrown in?

bjornolf
01-22-2018, 03:50 PM
This whole thread makes me sad. They should have done it as a cartoon after Rebels ended, IMHO. I liked both Clone Wars and Rebels.

mkirsh
01-22-2018, 09:45 PM
This whole thread makes me sad. They should have done it as a cartoon after Rebels ended, IMHO. I liked both Clone Wars and Rebels.

There is still time! Maybe Disney can animate in the Han Solo parts and have Harrison Ford do the voice work - problem solved! It works for Son of Zorn on tv, and Rodger Rabbit was a hit, right?

A-Tex Devil
01-22-2018, 11:15 PM
There is still time! Maybe Disney can animate in the Han Solo parts and have Harrison Ford do the voice work - problem solved! It works for Son of Zorn on tv, and Rodger Rabbit was a hit, right?

Would if it were so simple.

BD80
01-23-2018, 08:27 AM
... Rodger Rabbit was a hit, right?

Only because of Jessica Rabbit ...

(cue wolf whistle clip)

Wander
01-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Are we sure we're not panicking too early? Didn't Rogue one go through a ton of reshoots and have a bad vibe months before it came out?

JasonEvans
01-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Are we sure we're not panicking too early? Didn't Rogue one go through a ton of reshoots and have a bad vibe months before it came out?

Yeah, sorta, but nothing like what we are hearing on Solo. Also, it is worth noting that we got our first teaser trailer for Rogue One in April of 2016, 8 months before the film hit theaters. We are now 4 months from Solo and not a frame has been shown (though the production has been delayed by changing directors and tons of reshoots). The buzz is bad enough at this point that Disney may actually be afraid to release anything that is less than perfect because they know it will be picked over so much.

I actually think the massive reshoots are a good thing as it shows Disney is willing to sink more and more money into this film in an effort to make it worthwhile. They aren't just giving up and pushing out shoddy product. Also, Ron Howard's catalog doesn't contain many truly wretched films. He is paint by numbers simple some of the time, but his movies are largely watchable (Inferno or Heart of the Sea are probably his worst flicks and they aren't that awful). If the story is solid and the direction isn't confusing, then I can live with young Solo being a terrible actor. I think it is a very good sign that Lawrence and Jon Kasdan's screenplay has not been rewritten over and over again (they remain the only credited screenwriters).

-Jason "please be watchable..." Evans

OldPhiKap
01-23-2018, 10:28 AM
I actually think the massive reshoots are a good thing as it shows Disney is willing to sink more and more money into this film in an effort to make it worthwhile. They aren't just giving up and pushing out shoddy product. Also, Ron Howard's catalog doesn't contain many truly wretched films. He is paint by numbers simple some of the time, but his movies are largely watchable (Inferno or Heart of the Sea are probably his worst flicks and they aren't that awful). If the story is solid and the direction isn't confusing, then I can live with young Solo being a terrible actor. I think it is a very good sign that Lawrence and Jon Kasdan's screenplay has not been rewritten over and over again (they remain the only credited screenwriters).

That's my hope too. (not a new hope though). Ron Howard knows how to tell a story. If he thinks there are holes that need to be filled or shaped due to a bad script or scenes that just don't work, I think all it can do is improve the end product.

And if it is a screaming pile of stink, I don't think it all can be laid at Opie's feet. It may well be that he is simply polishing the turd the best one can do. But as others have noted, the idea of the film -- telling the back-story of a character we already know survives, and whose original actor made the character an icon for 40 years -- it is a tough sled. This isn't like changing Bonds which by now is routine (although the early attempt to do so with George Lazenby was a spectacular disaster.)

BD80
01-23-2018, 01:59 PM
... This isn't like changing Bonds which by now is routine (although the early attempt to do so with George Lazenby was a spectacular disaster.)

I hear Alden Ehrenreich is every bit the actor that George Lazenby was.

Quick, name Lazenby's top ten films!

OldPhiKap
02-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Trailer tomorrow per Super Bowl ad.

PackMan97
02-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Trailer tomorrow per Super Bowl ad.

Why not just release the trailer today?

Acymetric
02-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Why not just release the trailer today?

That would be a REALLY expensive spot during the Superbowl.

brevity
02-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Here's the teaser. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=9Szts88zY4o)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=9Szts88zY4o

YmoBeThere
02-04-2018, 07:51 PM

On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

OldPhiKap
02-04-2018, 08:07 PM
I hear Alden Ehrenreich is every bit the actor that George Lazenby was.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

That, and nine home movies.

PackMan97
02-05-2018, 10:16 AM
I saw the teaser. I can't say it looked all that inspiring.

JasonEvans
02-05-2018, 11:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs

Full trailer... finally. I'm not sure anyone will be able to get past the truly horrendous casting here. I mean, a lot of this looks good, but it is really hard to get past how awkward Alden Ehrenriech looks in every frame of that trailer.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2018, 11:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs

Full trailer... finally. I'm not sure anyone will be able to get past the truly horrendous casting here. I mean, a lot of this looks good, but it is really hard to get past how awkward Alden Ehrenriech looks in every frame of that trailer.

Agreed. It doesn't bode well that I am more excited for Lando than Han.

I told a friend earlier, it is like they said "oh hey, this actor can smirk! Han smirks! Book it!"

luburch
02-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Who would have been the ideal casting for young Han?

PackMan97
02-05-2018, 01:28 PM

Chris Pratt IMMEDIATELY comes to mind. He's got the confident swagger combined with a bit of mischeviousness that would make him perfect.

...but something tells me he was busy with his roles on Guadians and Jurrasic World.

Christopher Pine I think could have made a fine choice as well.

CameronBornAndBred
02-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Christopher Pine I think could have made a fine choice as well.
That would melt geek brains everywhere.

JasonEvans
02-05-2018, 01:52 PM

How young does the actor need to be? Ehrenreich is 28 (though he looks younger, I think) so I'm gonna say anyone who looks like they are comfortably in their 20s is in the running.

I think Nicholas Hoult could have been really good for it. You could not take your eyes off him in Fury Road. Miles Teller is arguably the best under-30 actor alive today after Whiplash and utterly transformed himself for Bleed For This so I would trust him to figure out how to make a young Han work. Liam Hemsworth did some nice work in Hunger Games films that makes me think he could pull it off. Ezra Miller may be too busy with Flash stuff, but he's pretty good.

Most importantly, I would have brought all these folks in and had them read and read and read several scenes to make sure I was getting the right guy. This is young Han Solo! You cannot screw this up and anyone in Hollywood would kill to get this role.

-Jason "the moment Disney had to bring in an acting coach to help Ehrenreich, they should have just fired him and started over... they've got enough money in this franchise to afford that" Evans

PackMan97
02-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Ansel Elgort (Baby) would have been an intriguing choice as well.

luburch
02-05-2018, 03:06 PM
I remember wanting it to be Joseph Gordon-Levitt when the announcement was initially made, but realized he was probably a tad to old.

I could get behind pretty much anyone mentioned, except for Miles Teller. Maybe it was the Rolling Stones profile (believe this is the one (https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/how-miles-teller-drummed-his-way-to-the-top-20141202)) I read on him, but I've never really enjoyed his work.

tbyers11
02-05-2018, 03:22 PM

This.

You have a future as a casting director for all the movies as I see them in my head.

JasonEvans
02-05-2018, 03:45 PM

I thought about Elgort, no one loved Baby Driver as much as I did, but I think he's a little too soft looking. We need someone who has led a rugged life and isn't at all a pretty-boy (the movie probably needs a scene where he gets a nasty cut on his face, to account for Harrison's iconic scar.

BD80
02-05-2018, 03:55 PM
I thought about Elgort, no one loved Baby Driver as much as I did, but I think he's a little too soft looking. We need someone who has led a rugged life and isn't at all a pretty-boy (the movie probably needs a scene where he gets a nasty cut on his face, to account for Harrison's iconic scar.

You mean the self-inflicted scar from the space-whip?

PackMan97
02-05-2018, 03:58 PM

But we already know how he got his scar!

https://youtu.be/AwH6-Yh7_SM?t=40

fuse
02-05-2018, 07:07 PM
I’m not sure I’ve ever been more conflicted about a movie.

On one hand, its Star Wars.

On the other hand, I am highly skeptical.

When I watched the trailer with my wife, her only comment was “he’s not handsome enough to be Han Solo.”

There you have it.

However, I am all about Donald Glover/Childish Gambino as Lando.
Seems like a gold mine of potential.

moonpie23
02-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Mrs. Pie watched the trailer and just said "nope"......

CameronBornAndBred
02-06-2018, 09:54 AM
Does he make the Kessel run in the movie? I'm not seeing it if he doesn't.

JasonEvans
02-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Does he make the Kessel run in the movie? I'm not seeing it if he doesn't.

Yes, supposedly the Kessel run is part of this movie. I'm sure Disney is taking every aspect of Han's character that was even offhandedly mentioned in the original movies and turning it into key plot points in this film... ugh.

OldPhiKap
02-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Yes, supposedly the Kessel run is part of this movie. I'm sure Disney is taking every aspect of Han's character that was even offhandedly mentioned in the original movies and turning it into key plot points in this film... ugh.

Yeah, I'm in this camp. Seems corny to fit some of this into the back story; we know he did it so what good is adding it besides an inside joke?

The more I consider this film, the more I am concerned that it may hit Jar Jar levels of bad.

Natty_B
02-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm in this camp. Seems corny to fit some of this into the back story; we know he did it so what good is adding it besides an inside joke?

The more I consider this film, the more I am concerned that it may hit Jar Jar levels of bad.

If you could bet in Vegas on the Kessel Run being in this film you should clear out your bank account and bet yes.

I agree with most comments here - I'm just not sure this was a story that needed to be told. We already know literally almost everything that happens with the main characters life after this movie.

CameronBornAndBred
02-06-2018, 12:05 PM

I'm also not seeing it if it doesn't have some nerf herding.

I agree with most comments here - I'm just not sure this was a story that needed to be told. We already know literally almost everything that happens with the main characters life after this movie.
Every perilous scene, you can be pretty sure that he and Chewie (and Lando) survive.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-06-2018, 12:07 PM
I just wanna see if Han has ever witnessed a tauntaun freezing.

cato
02-06-2018, 12:31 PM
You can still have dramatic tension even if you know how things end. Every time I see a replay of Hayward’s last second shot attempt, I am convinced it is going in. I can never relax until it safely bounces off the rim.

Something tells me that this movie wasn’t up to the challenge, though.

PackMan97
02-06-2018, 01:01 PM

Every perilous scene, you can be pretty sure that he and Chewie (and Lando) survive.

A nice twist might be to introduce us to Han and a Wookie, but we never learn the wookie's name. That wookie dies and THEN Han meets Chewie. Would that be a fun plot twist, or just annoying?

Acymetric
02-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Of course, this is true for a whole lot of characters in TV shows and movies, even in cases where their future is not already established, so I'm not necessarily sure it is a problem. The approach they take to the film stylistically and the quality of the film (acting, storyline, etc.) are more serious and likely problems.

A heist/thriller with a lot of dry humor would have been a nice direction.

Acymetric
02-06-2018, 01:06 PM
A nice twist might be to introduce us to Han and a Wookie, but we never learn the wookie's name. That wookie dies and THEN Han meets Chewie. Would that be a fun plot twist, or just annoying?

Probably annoying, but my already low bar for the interim filler movies (I look forward to all of them but set my expectations low) was further lowered in December.

bjornolf
02-06-2018, 04:38 PM
I guess the two guys I would pick are too old...
Ben McKenzie or James Franco.
I think they both have the looks and the chops. Makeup CAN do wonders.

brevity
02-06-2018, 06:40 PM

Impossible. What's appealing about Han Solo, to men or women, is not generally found in youth. The breakdown might go like this:

70% Harrison Ford (cowboy/carpenter/Hollywood outsider/Indiana Jones by association)
8% Scoundrel with a tinge of honor and loyalty
7% Sense of humor
5% Romantic
3% Independent from the Empire and the Rebellion
2% The outfits
2% Millennium Falcon
1% Cool points from Lando Calrissian (who looks less honorable in comparison)
1% Lack of choice when you meet him (he's not the boy, or the old man, or the Wookiee)
1% Shooting first, I guess

Harrison Ford was 35 when the first movie was released, and he's playing someone who's probably in his early 30s (at least 10 years older than Luke and Leia). So a prequel movie might focus on his early 20s, which means you need someone who looks that young.

Nobody's mentioned Anthony Ingruber in this thread, the novelty act who looks and sounds like a young Harrison Ford. He plays the younger version of Ford's character for a few flashback scenes in The Age of Adaline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8VqG4ftlK0

You can see (and especially hear) why the gimmick was worth trying, but it wouldn't sustain itself for an entire Han Solo movie. It would feel unnatural and too similar to Harrison Ford.

OldPhiKap
02-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Harrison Ford is the character. It’s like asking who could play a young Jack Sparrow for an entire movie.

Especially since Harrison Justin played the role again less than 30 months ago.

JasonEvans
02-09-2018, 09:35 PM
Whew!

We've got nothing to worry about. This flick is going to be awesome! I just found out that George Lucas directed a scene (https://nerdist.com/george-lucas-directed-solo-star-wars-scene-ron-howard/) in the film. Thank goodness! He couldn't possibly screw anything up with Star Wars!

OldPhiKap
02-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Whew!

We've got nothing to worry about. This flick is going to be awesome! I just found out that George Lucas directed a scene (https://nerdist.com/george-lucas-directed-solo-star-wars-scene-ron-howard/) in the film. Thank goodness! He couldn't possibly screw anything up with Star Wars!

“When Solo Met Jar-Jar”

BD80
02-10-2018, 10:33 AM
“When Solo Met Jar-Jar”

By the Great Tree of Coruscant: shoot first Han. SHOOT FIRST!

OldPhiKap
02-11-2018, 07:32 AM
A really interesting read on Ron Howard getting involved, the changing of directors, and whatnot:

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/09/ron-howard-solo-a-star-wars-story/

This seems to suggest that Lucas only gave an idea while a scene was shooting, not that he directed a scene.

CameronBornAndBred
02-13-2018, 11:10 AM
So it sounds like H. Ford was an advisor to the newb.
https://www.wired.com/story/cantina-talk-53/

Know who I want to see show up in Solo? This guy!

Hondo Ohnaka is as shifty as a self-serving space pirate can be, and would easily keep the same company as Han and Lando. All three know the best hives of scum and villainy! Even if just a cameo somewhere, he needs to make an appearance.

Tom B.
02-23-2018, 01:15 PM
I'm wondering if this might turn out to be kind of a Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, where the lead is forgettable, but it's still an entertaining flick that's carried by a strong supporting cast.

Also, someone re-cut the Solo trailer and set it to the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage," and oh my. (Yeah, I know they did this for the Star Trek reboot, so it's a bit derivative. Still a big improvement over the original version of the trailer, though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPY4TKo6uQ

JasonEvans
04-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Ok, they finally seem to be getting the marketing right. The new trailer looks pretty good. Most of the focus seems to be on the side characters, but that is ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPEYpryMp2s

CameronBornAndBred
04-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Ok, they finally seem to be getting the marketing right. The new trailer looks pretty good. Most of the focus seems to be on the side characters, but that is ok.

Ok. I'm voting for it now.

BD80
04-08-2018, 10:25 PM

I've got a really good feeling about this!

JNort
04-08-2018, 11:33 PM
I've got a really good feeling about this!

I'm still nervous but it looks much improved

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-09-2018, 05:05 AM

Honestly, the movie doesn't look bad. My biggest concern is that Han looks like the weakest link. Maybe if they had just named the movie "Lando's Smuggler Squad" people would be happier with it.

JasonEvans
05-02-2018, 08:26 PM
There very little chance Solo is as good as this Star Wars Arrested Development parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XERmXsP-U

Mal
05-03-2018, 01:05 PM
There very little chance Solo is as good as this Star Wars Arrested Development parody:

That's awesome. I don't even get the diving Pete Rose joke, but it made me laugh anyway.

Re: the trailer, agreed that it doesn't look nearly as troubled as all the insider talk did. Then again, that's two minutes out of 120+. I don't quite grasp everyone's critique of the Solo actor based on what I'm seeing (which, admittedly, is just a bunch of one to two second clips of him reciting punch lines). I guess he doesn't seem to just ooze the sort of raffish coolness that Harrison Ford did, but he's playing a young guy just starting out rather than a seasoned intergalactic rogue. I'll cut him some slack until watching the full movie. Maybe he's terrible at dialogue that stretches more than 10 words and where he has to actually interact with another actor.

Some of whatever the result is, is going to be the fault of, or should be credited to, the script. It seems like, from the trailer alone, the Han character is starting as an eager puppy dog and has to become grizzled and sarcastic and self-absorbed through experience (as opposed to having a rough backstory, and introduced here as someone who obviously will turn out to be the guy we eventually see in Mos Eisley shooting a rival who has the drop on him and walking away like nothing happened). Episode IV Han had an actual character arc built in for him, with a redemption moment. It's all about him until it's not, and he gets to save the day at the end of the movie. It was a really well written character. He's much less interesting after that, though. There wasn't enough time in the story to put much focus on his ongoing struggle between maintaining his carefree life of selfishness and joining the rebellion for real, or to script an actual on-screen romance with Leia. So he became a one-liner machine, a good one, but not as interesting. JJ Abrams tried to recapture some of that initial internal conflict in Han in Force Awakens, but it felt forced and just left people wondering what exactly happened in the Han-Leia get married and raise a family 20 year gap.

On another note, I've come to the conclusion that Woody Harrelson is a confusing actor. He's great at times and he's terrible at times, without a whole lot of in between, and I can't figure out any pattern of which type of roles work for him and which don't. He was awesome in True Detective and White Men Can't Jump as very different types of characters, but I couldn't stand him in Natural Born Killers and was actually underwhelmed by his performance in The People v. Larry Flynt despite the Oscar nom. And he was DREADFUL in War for The Planet of The Apes. But he looks compelling here.

OldPhiKap
05-03-2018, 01:15 PM
That's awesome. I don't even get the diving Pete Rose joke, but it made me laugh anyway.

Re: the trailer, agreed that it doesn't look nearly as troubled as all the insider talk did. Then again, that's two minutes out of 120+. I don't quite grasp everyone's critique of the Solo actor based on what I'm seeing (which, admittedly, is just a bunch of one to two second clips of him reciting punch lines). I guess he doesn't seem to just ooze the sort of raffish coolness that Harrison Ford did, but he's playing a young guy just starting out rather than a seasoned intergalactic rogue. I'll cut him some slack until watching the full movie. Maybe he's terrible at dialogue that stretches more than 10 words and where he has to actually interact with another actor.

Some of whatever the result is, is going to be the fault of, or should be credited to, the script. It seems like, from the trailer alone, the Han character is starting as an eager puppy dog and has to become grizzled and sarcastic and self-absorbed through experience (as opposed to having a rough backstory, and introduced here as someone who obviously will turn out to be the guy we eventually see in Mos Eisley shooting a rival who has the drop on him and walking away like nothing happened). Episode IV Han had an actual character arc built in for him, with a redemption moment. It's all about him until it's not, and he gets to save the day at the end of the movie. It was a really well written character. He's much less interesting after that, though. There wasn't enough time in the story to put much focus on his ongoing struggle between maintaining his carefree life of selfishness and joining the rebellion for real, or to script an actual on-screen romance with Leia. So he became a one-liner machine, a good one, but not as interesting. JJ Abrams tried to recapture some of that initial internal conflict in Han in Force Awakens, but it felt forced and just left people wondering what exactly happened in the Han-Leia get married and raise a family 20 year gap.

On another note, I've come to the conclusion that Woody Harrelson is a confusing actor. He's great at times and he's terrible at times, without a whole lot of in between, and I can't figure out any pattern of which type of roles work for him and which don't. He was awesome in True Detective and White Men Can't Jump as very different types of characters, but I couldn't stand him in Natural Born Killers and was actually underwhelmed by his performance in The People v. Larry Flynt despite the Oscar nom. And he was DREADFUL in War for The Planet of The Apes. But he looks compelling here.

FWIW Woody was great in Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri recently.

Very good in No Country for Old Men too, although small role.

But absolutely agree. Inconsistent, and usually on one extreme or the other.

fuse
05-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Starting to become irrationally excited about this movie.
Perhaps I have found a new hope :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
05-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Starting to become irrationally excited about this movie.
Perhaps I have found a new hope :rolleyes:

I hope that the Disney Empire does not strike back.

luburch
05-11-2018, 07:51 AM
Premiered last night. Variety gathered a collection of reactions. (http://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-first-reactions-1202806823/) Nearly all have been positive.

JasonEvans
05-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Review on the radio... here is my appearance on 680 The Fan in Atlanta this morning talking about Deadpool 2 and Solo: A Star Wars Story... with bonus content about the Atlanta Hawks NBA draft decision of Marvin Bagley or Jaren Jackson Jr.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-151762463/deadpool-2-solo-movie-reviews-on-the-radio

-Jason "I also got into an argument with one of the radio hosts about how good Jayson Tatum will be... but that was not included in this clip" Evans

devildeac
05-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Review on the radio... here is my appearance on 680 The Fan in Atlanta this morning talking about Deadpool 2 and Solo: A Star Wars Story... with bonus content about the Atlanta Hawks NBA draft decision of Marvin Bagley or Jaren Jackson Jr.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-151762463/deadpool-2-solo-movie-reviews-on-the-radio

-Jason "I also got into an argument with one of the radio hosts about how good Jayson Tatum will be... but that was not included in this clip" Evans

Dang, Jason, how many threads are going to be blessed with this post?

:p

JasonEvans
05-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Well, it covers three topics ;)

OldPhiKap
05-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Well, it covers three topics ;)

You should have mentioned beer. That would have been an easy pick-up.

bjornolf
05-18-2018, 01:28 PM
So, Jason, away from the radio, what did you think of the movie in more detail?

JasonEvans
05-18-2018, 05:51 PM
So, Jason, away from the radio, what did you think of the movie in more detail?

Yeah, sorry, the radio guys don't let me do much detail. Here are the notes I took with me to the radio interview:

This was a really troubled production… Ron Howard took over and the lead actor, Alden Ehrenreich, was so bad they had to give him acting lessons and reshoot some scenes. So, my expectations were low. Plus, the Star Wars universe has had its share of misses – Attack of the Clones, The Phantom Meance, Return of the Jedi doesn’t exactly hold up. So, I went in with fairly low expectations... but this is a Star Wars film and all the recent Star Wars movies have been pretty solid. I would say it barely met my expectations, but didn’t really exceed them.

This is basically a caper film, the team of lovable bandits have to steal a priceless cache of hyperdrive fuel for a ruthless mobster who will kill them if they fail. But, for a caper movie ti does not spell out the capers all that well and the execution of the robberies isn't clever or special. I don't know if Oceans 11 and other films like that have spoiled this for us, but the caper part of the plot is very dull and rudimentary.

There was plenty of action and a decent number of humorous moments – most of which are already in the trailers. You can tell what Lord and Miller were going for and it was not a bad idea, it just probably wasn't a true Star Wars movie which was a problem.

The film really tries to provide a lot lot lot of fan service. In fact, I think that's the only reason they made this movie because that is all this is. We have to see all these legendary moments in Han Solo’s life – when he met and became friends with Chewbacca, when he won the Millennium Falcon in a game of intergalactic poker, how he became a smuggler, when he made the Kessel run in 12 parsecs. But the film doesn’t do a good job of weaving all of this into a cohesive plot. Lots of stuff happens because the movie needs to make it happen to fit our notion of who Han Solo and the other characters are, not because it feels natural or makes sense in this story.

Alden Ehrenreich is borderline awful… he constantly smirks and acts absurdly overconfident. It is like the only thing he can do. He rarely displays an honest emotion. I get that Han is confident, but this version of Han borders on stupid. It turned me off. Lando (Donald Glover) isn't in the film all that much and I never really got much of a handle on him. Qi'ra (Emilia Clarke) has confusing motivations. I'm still not sure what we are supposed to think of her character in the end. Same with Woddy Harrelson's Beckett. The characters are all just there... I never felt like we got a good understanding of their motivations or personality. None of the characters are as memorable or interesting as several characters in Rogue One.

https://blog.screenweek.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/solod23-1.jpg

In many respects, this is a classic Ron Howard film – competent and not a disaster, but not at all edgy or noteworthy. You smile some, you are thrilled some, but you also scratch your head wondering what is going on at times and you never, ever become immersed in what is on screen. You watch, but you don’t feel much of anything. I yawned several times in the first third of the movie.

I know Star Wars fans will see it and they won’t hate it. But, if you missed it, you would not be missing anything essential. In fact, for as much as they wanted to provide fan service, I think they did a lousy job of really being true to who Han Solo is. Remember that in Star Wars, and even at the beginning of Empire, his name is Solo for a reason – he’s out for #1. So, this movie either needs to show him as that kind of character or explain why he becomes that kind of character… but it doesn’t. Instead, he’s constantly worried about others and wants to help folks who are fighting for what is right and honorable. That’s not the Han Solo we know! That is what he eventually becomes in Empire or Jedi, but that is not where he starts his journey. This movie wants him to be a hero, but Han Solo is not a do the right thing kind of guy. We love him despite his faults, but this movie won't let his faults come to the surface because they want to play it safe and not take risks. As a result, the film is like a piece of white toast... it isn't good, it isn't bad, it is just there. If you are hungry, it makes you not hungry but you don't enjoy the experience of eating.

-Jason "in the pantheon of Star Wars films, it isn't as bad as Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones. It may be a little bit better than Revenge of the Sith, but doesn't reach Return of the Jedi or any of the more recent films, IMO" Evans

-jk
05-18-2018, 09:34 PM
My 14 yo (star wars loving) son hasn't been bugging me to see it.

Enough said?

-jk

OldPhiKap
05-18-2018, 09:49 PM
My 14 yo (star wars loving) son hasn't been bugging me to see it.

Enough said?

-jk

My 14yo (Star Wars loving) son saw the various trailers, on line and in the theatre, and said “meh.”

Yup.

JasonEvans
05-25-2018, 02:26 AM
Yeah, sorry, the radio guys don't let me do much detail. Here are the notes I took with me to the radio interview:

This was a really troubled production… Ron Howard took over and the lead actor, Alden Ehrenreich, was so bad they had to give him acting lessons and reshoot some scenes. So, my expectations were low. Plus, the Star Wars universe has had its share of misses – Attack of the Clones, The Phantom Meance, Return of the Jedi doesn’t exactly hold up. So, I went in with fairly low expectations... but this is a Star Wars film and all the recent Star Wars movies have been pretty solid. I would say it barely met my expectations, but didn’t really exceed them.

This is basically a caper film, the team of lovable bandits have to steal a priceless cache of hyperdrive fuel for a ruthless mobster who will kill them if they fail. But, for a caper movie ti does not spell out the capers all that well and the execution of the robberies isn't clever or special. I don't know if Oceans 11 and other films like that have spoiled this for us, but the caper part of the plot is very dull and rudimentary.

There was plenty of action and a decent number of humorous moments – most of which are already in the trailers. You can tell what Lord and Miller were going for and it was not a bad idea, it just probably wasn't a true Star Wars movie which was a problem.

The film really tries to provide a lot lot lot of fan service. In fact, I think that's the only reason they made this movie because that is all this is. We have to see all these legendary moments in Han Solo’s life – when he met and became friends with Chewbacca, when he won the Millennium Falcon in a game of intergalactic poker, how he became a smuggler, when he made the Kessel run in 12 parsecs. But the film doesn’t do a good job of weaving all of this into a cohesive plot. Lots of stuff happens because the movie needs to make it happen to fit our notion of who Han Solo and the other characters are, not because it feels natural or makes sense in this story.

Alden Ehrenreich is borderline awful… he constantly smirks and acts absurdly overconfident. It is like the only thing he can do. He rarely displays an honest emotion. I get that Han is confident, but this version of Han borders on stupid. It turned me off. Lando (Donald Glover) isn't in the film all that much and I never really got much of a handle on him. Qi'ra (Emilia Clarke) has confusing motivations. I'm still not sure what we are supposed to think of her character in the end. Same with Woddy Harrelson's Beckett. The characters are all just there... I never felt like we got a good understanding of their motivations or personality. None of the characters are as memorable or interesting as several characters in Rogue One.

https://blog.screenweek.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/solod23-1.jpg

In many respects, this is a classic Ron Howard film – competent and not a disaster, but not at all edgy or noteworthy. You smile some, you are thrilled some, but you also scratch your head wondering what is going on at times and you never, ever become immersed in what is on screen. You watch, but you don’t feel much of anything. I yawned several times in the first third of the movie.

I know Star Wars fans will see it and they won’t hate it. But, if you missed it, you would not be missing anything essential. In fact, for as much as they wanted to provide fan service, I think they did a lousy job of really being true to who Han Solo is. Remember that in Star Wars, and even at the beginning of Empire, his name is Solo for a reason – he’s out for #1. So, this movie either needs to show him as that kind of character or explain why he becomes that kind of character… but it doesn’t. Instead, he’s constantly worried about others and wants to help folks who are fighting for what is right and honorable. That’s not the Han Solo we know! That is what he eventually becomes in Empire or Jedi, but that is not where he starts his journey. This movie wants him to be a hero, but Han Solo is not a do the right thing kind of guy. We love him despite his faults, but this movie won't let his faults come to the surface because they want to play it safe and not take risks. As a result, the film is like a piece of white toast... it isn't good, it isn't bad, it is just there. If you are hungry, it makes you not hungry but you don't enjoy the experience of eating.

-Jason "in the pantheon of Star Wars films, it isn't as bad as Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones. It may be a little bit better than Revenge of the Sith, but doesn't reach Return of the Jedi or any of the more recent films, IMO" Evans

Now that folks are seeing it, I want to know what others think. Was I too harsh?

luburch
05-25-2018, 06:31 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed Solo. Outside of the first 10-15 minutes and the very end, which were a bit clunky, I thought it was fantastic.

I was nervous heading in. Like everyone else, I had heard all of the horror stories. Glover, Clarke, Ehrenreich all killed it. Jason, I'm not sure how you can call Ehrenreich awful. Everyone I've talked to thought he was great.

The humor hit for me every time. I laughed more during Solo than I did during Deadpool 2. L3, the new droid, was outstanding.

Solo definitely has a few problems here and there. It's not perfect, but it works really well. A ton of fun.

Udaman
05-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Hmmm. It's almost like we saw a different movie.

I agree with JE. Calling it white bread is pretty accurate. Avoiding spoilers...there were some good parts. The action was good. I liked the story of how he met Chewy. I thought the Kessell Run was done pretty well. I liked Lando. But lots I didn't like. The smuggling scenes were pretty lame and unoriginal. The robot was a carbon copy of the one from Roque One, I thought. The bad guy wasn't that bad. The twists I saw coming a mile away (or I guess more like an hour a way).

But as JE said, I just could never connect with the characters. part of it was Solo. You can spin it all you want, but this was a bad casting decision. He can smirk. And he plays over-confident like mad, but there's nothing else there. And his on screen charisma is sorely lacking. Imagine Chris Pratt in this role, and you see what it could have been.

But JE really hits the nail on the head when he talks about the essence of Solo. In Star Wars all he cared about was himself. Luke and Leia inspired him, and he had a change of heart. They danced around this, but it would have been much better, in my mind if he was like that all along. A simple example was the opening. There's a scene with him and his female friend, and he acts in a way that I didn't think was like Solo at all. They could have done that scene differently, which just a slight twist and been more true to the "Han being only for Han."

It's not a terrible time at the movie. But, for me, it was nowhere near the same level as Deadpool2 or The Avengers. Not even close.

And in terms of box office...I saw it at the exact same time as I saw Deadpool 2 last week in the exact same theater. The crowd for Deadpool was about 20% bigger. Just one data point...but I can't see this movie having great legs or many repeat viewings. I saw Deadpool, then saw it again 3 days later. Same with Avengers (which I then saw again the next weekend). Won't be doing that here. I think if I did, there would be several scenes where I would just fade out.

Chicago 1995
05-26-2018, 01:00 AM
But I really like it. My 11 year old loved it. Fun popcorn movie hitting big moments in Star Wars history.

I get it’s not perfect, and Ehrenreich isn’t great, but I had a lot of fun watching it, which is the point, no?

Rogue One is a better movie, but Solo’s more fun. That make any sense?

Wander
05-26-2018, 04:37 AM

Agreed. I actually think that the characters in this movie are more fun overall than the Rogue One characters, or at least the side characters. The 4 armed alien, the droid, Thandie Newton's character, Vampire Vision, and most of all Lady Proxima (I wanted to see much more of her!) were all great. That's not even counting Lando and Chewbacca, which would be sorta cheating to compare to Rogue One.

Props for an interpretation that correctly used parsecs as a unit of distance.

The most spoilery thing from the movie didn't really work for me. But we should wait for a spoilers thread to talk about it...

But, yeah, Rogue One was better overall and contributed more to the bigger Star Wars universe.

Chicago 1995
05-26-2018, 12:32 PM
The most spoilery thing from the movie didn't really work for me. But we should wait for a spoilers thread to talk about it...

Yeah. I’d like to talk about it too. My son and I talked about it at length after we got home, but I’d like to hear other thoughts. Maybe more style than substance...

JasonEvans
05-26-2018, 05:37 PM
I think we can easily talk about it at this point by merely including spoiler tags around the specific plot elements that would be spoilery. I mean, anyone really dying to see it has had 48 hours to do so at this point and spoiler tags mean you have to want to be spoiled to know what happens.

I'll start:

What was Thandie Newton's job during the train heist? I mean, other than blowing herself up for no reason. What a waste of a wonderful actress. If we build her relationship with Woody and then have her die later in the film, when we actually care about her, then it could have helped create a better arc for Woody and made his turn make more sense.

Speaking of turns, Qi'ra's was obvious but the way to use that is to make Han really care for her and then when she betrays him it turns him into the "only out for himself" rogue that we see at the start of Star Wars. Instead, he largely seemed unaffected by it and we did not see any way that it changed his character.

So, Chewie was a "monster" who had bones strewn around him when we first meet him. Yeah, that doesn't feel like Chewie's character at all.

As I said in my review, every "caper" seemed like a simple smash and grab. We are supposed to think that Woody Harrelson is some master thief who is clever, aren't we? He sure seemed like a routine criminal. I still don't really understand the various capers.

Darth Maul! Uhhhh, didn't he die? I mean, didn't he get chopped in half many years ago (had to be at least 30 years ago based on Anakin's age in the original trilogies). I guess age is relative as Yoda is 900 years old but still... Darth Maul felt like a silly surprise just for the sake of having a fan service call back. But, then again, this was a film where the entire plot is driven by fan service. Who cares if it makes sense in the story, all that matters is giving fans a "moment."

More later... if I can remember anything about the film. That fact that it was totally forgettable a week after seeing it probably speaks volumes.

JasonEvans
05-26-2018, 05:52 PM
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!

I had no idea this existed but there was once a dance video game set in the Star Wars universe and the "Han Solo Song" may be the greatest or worst thing to ever happen in a Galaxy Far Far Away! You have to watch this, but be warned, you may never be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6-eId8rgyc

Time to do the things I like
Gonna see a Princess, everything’s all right, oh
No Jabba to answer to
Ain’t a fixture in the palace zoo, no
And since that carbonite’s off me
I’m livin’ life now that I’m free, yeah

I’m pickin’ up my blaster
Put it on my side
I’m jumpin’ in my Falcon
Wookie at my side

I’m solo, I’m Han Solo
I’m Han Solo
I’m Han Solo, Solo

-Jason "whoever wrote these lyrics did not get paid enough!!" Evans

JNort
05-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!
Ohmygod!!

I had no idea this existed but there was once a dance video game set in the Star Wars universe and the "Han Solo Song" may be the greatest or worst thing to ever happen in a Galaxy Far Far Away! You have to watch this, but be warned, you may never be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6-eId8rgyc

Time to do the things I like
Gonna see a Princess, everything’s all right, oh
No Jabba to answer to
Ain’t a fixture in the palace zoo, no
And since that carbonite’s off me
I’m livin’ life now that I’m free, yeah

I’m pickin’ up my blaster
Put it on my side
I’m jumpin’ in my Falcon
Wookie at my side

I’m solo, I’m Han Solo
I’m Han Solo
I’m Han Solo, Solo

-Jason "whoever wrote these lyrics did not get paid enough!!" Evans
Bloody damn brilliant

luburch
05-27-2018, 02:57 PM
I think we can easily talk about it at this point by merely including spoiler tags around the specific plot elements that would be spoilery. I mean, anyone really dying to see it has had 48 hours to do so at this point and spoiler tags mean you have to want to be spoiled to know what happens.

I'll start:

What was Thandie Newton's job during the train heist? I mean, other than blowing herself up for no reason. What a waste of a wonderful actress. If we build her relationship with Woody and then have her die later in the film, when we actually care about her, then it could have helped create a better arc for Woody and made his turn make more sense.

Speaking of turns, Qi'ra's was obvious but the way to use that is to make Han really care for her and then when she betrays him it turns him into the "only out for himself" rogue that we see at the start of Star Wars. Instead, he largely seemed unaffected by it and we did not see any way that it changed his character.

So, Chewie was a "monster" who had bones strewn around him when we first meet him. Yeah, that doesn't feel like Chewie's character at all.

As I said in my review, every "caper" seemed like a simple smash and grab. We are supposed to think that Woody Harrelson is some master thief who is clever, aren't we? He sure seemed like a routine criminal. I still don't really understand the various capers.

Darth Maul! Uhhhh, didn't he die? I mean, didn't he get chopped in half many years ago (had to be at least 30 years ago based on Anakin's age in the original trilogies). I guess age is relative as Yoda is 900 years old but still... Darth Maul felt like a silly surprise just for the sake of having a fan service call back. But, then again, this was a film where the entire plot is driven by fan service. Who cares if it makes sense in the story, all that matters is giving fans a "moment."

More later... if I can remember anything about the film. That fact that it was totally forgettable a week after seeing it probably speaks volumes.

Just caught it a second time. Holds up really well.

Thandie Newton had to blow up the bridge in order to free up the train car. They had to find a way to detach it from the track.

When were we supposed to see how he was impacted by Qi'ra turning on him? There's 3 minutes of movie left at that point.

Chewie was trapped underground without any food. I'm not sure what seems out of his place with that behavior. I thought the movie did an excellent job showing the Chewie/Han backstory.

Maul is alive in Rebels/Clone Wars. You can see his mechanical legs in the scene.

Seems like a lot of people went into this film wanting to dislike it. It was better than Rogue One for me.

OldPhiKap
05-27-2018, 06:40 PM
SonPK (age 14) and I both just saw it, and said the same thing at the end — we thought it would suck, but it turned out to be really good.

I don’t know how to do the whole de-spoiler, so will keep my comments general. The acting was better than I expected, the plot (marginally) better than Force Awakens or Last Jedi, and Ron Howard knows how to tell a story.

Like with all of these movies, you just can’t overthink it. Several things I could pick at, but why bother?

An enjoyable flick.

Billy Dat
05-29-2018, 03:17 PM
SonPK (age 14) and I both just saw it, and said the same thing at the end — we thought it would suck, but it turned out to be really good.

I don’t know how to do the whole de-spoiler, so will keep my comments general. The acting was better than I expected, the plot (marginally) better than Force Awakens or Last Jedi, and Ron Howard knows how to tell a story.

Like with all of these movies, you just can’t overthink it. Several things I could pick at, but why bother?

An enjoyable flick.

I agree with this take. I didn't realize Ron Howard had directed but I did notice that the dwarf actor, Warwick Davis, from his 1988 flop "Willow" was in a scene and then, when I saw Ron Howard's name in the credits, it all made sense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Davis

I agree about the callback to the character from Phantom Menace not making sense vis-a-vis Star Wars timelines.

El_Diablo
05-29-2018, 03:41 PM
I agree with this take. I didn't realize Ron Howard had directed but I did notice that the dwarf actor, Warwick Davis, from his 1988 flop "Willow" was in a scene and then, when I saw Ron Howard's name in the credits, it all made sense

I agree about the callback to the character from Phantom Menace not making sense vis-a-vis Star Wars timelines.

Warwick Davis was in Episodes I, VI, VII and VIII, as well as Rogue One. I don't think his casting had anything to do with Ron Howard.

The character from Phantom Menace survived (as shown in the two animated series), so there is no real timing issue there.

cato
05-29-2018, 04:02 PM

Willow was a flop? Shows how my I cared about a movie’s success as a young teen. I loved that movie!

Billy Dat
05-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Warwick Davis was in Episodes I, VI, VII and VIII, as well as Rogue One. I don't think his casting had anything to do with Ron Howard.
The character from Phantom Menace survived (as shown in the two animated series), so there is no real timing issue there.

I stand corrected on both counts!

Willow was a flop? Shows how my I cared about a movie’s success as a young teen. I loved that movie!

Flop may be too strong, but I think, at the time, it was expected to be a possible blockbuster. The internet says it grossed $57MM against a $38MM budget...which is fine, but I think they were looking for something more with the Lucas pedigree and all.

SoCalDukeFan
05-29-2018, 07:40 PM
But I really like it. My 11 year old loved it. Fun popcorn movie hitting big moments in Star Wars history.

I get it’s not perfect, and Ehrenreich isn’t great, but I had a lot of fun watching it, which is the point, no?

I also enjoyed it. It was fun.

SoCal

sagegrouse
05-29-2018, 09:19 PM
I watched Solo with two grandsons. We all liked it. While I would simplify the plot, it was an intense movie experience.

Kindly,
Sagegrouse
'My only objection to Alden what's-his-name as Solo is that Harrison Ford never seemed to smile, which reinforced his character. Ehrenreich is a "pretty-boy" actor and doesn't remind me one bit of H. Ford'

Billy Dat
05-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Question for the Star Wars experts...I was distracted by Emilia Clark's Qi'ra character because I kept thinking about Daisy Ridley's Rey character. Perhaps this is just some form of "all white English actresses look and sound alike" lack of political correctness on my part, but is that intentional. Are we supposed to start to think that, perhaps, Rey is the love child of Han and Qi'ra...or maybe Qi'ra and Dryden Vos?

JasonEvans
05-30-2018, 10:11 AM
Question for the Star Wars experts...I was distracted by Emilia Clark's Qi'ra character because I kept thinking about Daisy Ridley's Rey character. Perhaps this is just some form of "all white English actresses look and sound alike" lack of political correctness on my part, but is that intentional. Are we supposed to start to think that, perhaps, Rey is the love child of Han and Qi'ra...or maybe Qi'ra and Dryden Vos?

There is a 0% chance that Clark was picked for the role because she might bear some small resemblance to Daisy Ridley. The timeline does not match up at all for Rey to be Han and Qi-ra's daughter. Rey seems to be even younger than Kylo Ren and Kylo came along many years after Han and Qi'ra split up.

I think Clark was picked for the role because she is a major internationally known actress thanks to GOT and Star Wars wanted to capitalize on that fame by putting her in their universe. I actually don't think she even looks all that much like Daisy Ridley. There was lots of talk that Daisy Ridley looked like Felicity Jones too...

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2018/02/05/05-star-wars-actresses.w710.h473.jpg

-Jason "I think Disney will largely keep Solo away from other films... they don't want the rest of the Star Wars universe too attached to this boxoffice disappointment" Evans

OldPhiKap
05-30-2018, 11:45 AM

I was distracted by Woody Harrelson playing what, essentially, is the same character as look-alike Michael Rooker in Guardians of the Galaxy (Yondu).

At least, they looked a heck of a lot alike to me.

JasonEvans
05-30-2018, 11:52 AM
I was distracted by Woody Harrelson playing what, essentially, is the same character as look-alike Michael Rooker in Guardians of the Galaxy (Yondu).

At least, they looked a heck of a lot alike to me.

Ummmm... one was blue with a red plastic hairpiece. The other was human skin colored with somewhat regular hair. Aside from the scruff on their chins, I'm not seeing it at all.

https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:scale/quill/1/8/5/f/d/d/185fdd51f6e2be87d723a58ab83177a0e434bf79.jpg?mw=60 0 https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2018/05/hansolo5a787c179a57f_-_h_2018.jpg

OldPhiKap
05-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Ummmm... one was blue with a red plastic hairpiece. The other was human skin colored with somewhat regular hair. Aside from the scruff on their chins, I'm not seeing it at all.

https://img.cinemablend.com/filter:scale/quill/1/8/5/f/d/d/185fdd51f6e2be87d723a58ab83177a0e434bf79.jpg?mw=60 0 https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2018/05/hansolo5a787c179a57f_-_h_2018.jpg

The blue guy looks like Woody Harrelson to me.

And, it's essentially the same character.

El_Diablo
05-30-2018, 03:32 PM
Some background on the returning character who appeared at the end of the film and how he got there:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/that-surprise-solo-a-star-wars-story-ending-explained/

Spoilers, obviously.

YmoBeThere
05-30-2018, 05:51 PM
Just saying:

alllooksame.com

bjornolf
06-17-2018, 03:40 PM
I’m sorry. I guess I’m just a simpleton. I LOVED Solo. I’ve been a Star Wars fan since I saw ANH at age 3 in 1978. First memory I have as a kid. I usually rate them by how much fun I had watching, and I’d put Solo in my top 3-4 SW movies, right around Rogue One and ROTJ. I loved Chewie and Han meeting, Chewie ripping the arms off, okay, pretty much every Chewie scene, every scene with Lando, Beckett’s character, and on and on. Was it perfect? No, but neither were the rest. It was a TON of fun though.

My wife, three kids, and Dad loved it too.

Is it just me, or did Dryden Vos’s scars and eyes get red when he got mad?

bjornolf
06-17-2018, 08:07 PM
I agree with luburch. I think she’s gonna break Han in the next movie and turn him into the guy who only cares about himself... and maybe Chewie.

YmoBeThere
06-17-2018, 08:09 PM
I also had a higher opinion of the movie compared to others in this thread.

fuse
06-17-2018, 08:21 PM
I agree with luburch. I think she’s gonna break Han in the next movie and turn him into the guy who only cares about himself... and maybe Chewie.

Finally saw Solo today.

Thought it was ok, not great.

Hoping you are incorrect and there are no sequels.

The Kessel run part felt like “real” Star Wars, and we get another Han shot first.

Meeting Chewie was good, also.

I watched pretty much all the Star Wars cartoons, and the Darth Maul appearance was a big “what the heck”?

Thandie Newton is a great actress- wish her character had survived longer.

Maybe a solid 7/10. A fun watch that was more of an empty snack than a filling meal.

BD80
06-17-2018, 08:21 PM

There's not supposed be a sequel to Solo.

Which is why the ending leaving so much up in the air was troubling to me. It sure seemed like it was setting up a next episode.

YmoBeThere
06-17-2018, 11:36 PM
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/06/report-there-may-be-as-many-as-nine-star-wars-movies-in-development/

ncexnyc
06-21-2018, 06:06 PM
I guess this shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqRjpp1LPe8

CameronBornAndBred
01-11-2019, 10:11 PM
Solo is out on Netflix now, so I finally watched it. I was not optimistic, but I really thought it was a totally fun movie, and I was fine with Ehrenreich's performance. After reading all the bad reviews on him, I was expecting Hayden Christensen bad.

I agree with JH's note that Val was a waste of film. Having her in there just to blow up without having any impact on the film up to that point was goofy. Self sacrifice can only make an impact if the audience cares, and in her short time there was nothing to care about.

I LOVED Maul's cameo. It is very doubtful that we see him much more in live action, and I can totally see the casual Star Wars fan wondering "Huh? Dude's been way dead", but Clone Wars and Rebels both did a great job of giving him new life, both literally and figuratively. He was one of the most interesting characters on those shows, which is an irony given that in Phantom Menace he was actually one of the weakest. Beyond looking scary, he didn't make much of an impact in that wreck of a movie.

The only thing I really didn't like was that the movie does leave a lot of unanswered questions, and knowing that they aren't likely to ever answer any is a bummer.

Acymetric
01-11-2019, 11:35 PM
Solo is out on Netflix now, so I finally watched it. I was not optimistic, but I really thought it was a totally fun movie, and I was fine with Ehrenreich's performance. After reading all the bad reviews on him, I was expecting Hayden Christensen bad.

I agree with JH's note that Val was a waste of film. Having her in there just to blow up without having any impact on the film up to that point was goofy. Self sacrifice can only make an impact if the audience cares, and in her short time there was nothing to care about.

I LOVED Maul's cameo. It is very doubtful that we see him much more in live action, and I can totally see the casual Star Wars fan wondering "Huh? Dude's been way dead", but Clone Wars and Rebels both did a great job of giving him new life, both literally and figuratively. He was one of the most interesting characters on those shows, which is an irony given that in Phantom Menace he was actually one of the weakest. Beyond looking scary, he didn't make much of an impact in that wreck of a movie.

The only thing I really didn't like was that the movie does leave a lot of unanswered questions, and knowing that they aren't likely to ever answer any is a bummer.

Just finished watching it myself, with the same low expectations. I actually really enjoyed it. Donald Glover was great as Lando, and I thought the whole thing was pretty good. I kind of wish I had gone to see it in theaters now, to be honest. I think it might actually be my fourth favorite Star Wars film, fifth at worst. I agree that Val's self sacrifice was pretty uninteresting, but it didn't really bother me, it was just very "meh, why?" to me.

The only complaint I could give is that I don't think there was any need to change The Maw from being a cluster of black holes (how it was originally presented in the EU) to being a single black hole. True enough to the source material that I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but after throwing out so much of the EU stuff at least give me my cluster of black holes!

As far as the unanswered questions, I feel fairly certain we'll get answers. Nest, Qi'ra, and Maul (at least in a limited capacity) will almost certainly reappear to play significant roles in something. Whether its a full length movie, a series like Rebels/Clone Wars, or something else I can't say but we'll be seeing them again.

Speaking of Rebels and Clone Wars...I really need to give those a shot. I've tried a couple times and just can't get into either for some reason.

CameronBornAndBred
01-11-2019, 11:49 PM
Speaking of Rebels and Clone Wars...I really need to give those a shot. I've tried a couple times and just can't get into either for some reason.

I'd suggest doing it. CW unfortunately got cancelled early, and the story had a rushed ending, but thankfully they are briefly bringing it back later this year to give a deserved resolution.
The series is WAY better than the prequel movies. Rebels is a great story focusing on a whole new set of characters, although it is dotted with familiar names now and then. It finished it's run last year, and the ending was perfect. The last season of Rebels is some of the best story telling in the Star Wars canon.
Both are great for binging.

Currently I'm tuned into Star Wars Resistance, which is a story leading into the events that make up The Force Awakens. Poe Dameron makes occasional appearances, and BB-8 is a major character, doing what BB-8 does. It is done differently, in a distinct anime style. I was not thrilled with it out of the box, but it is getting better and more engaging as the season progresses. It has already been renewed for a second run.

Acymetric
01-11-2019, 11:53 PM
I'd suggest doing it. CW unfortunately got cancelled early, and the story had a rushed ending, but thankfully they are briefly bringing it back later this year to give a deserved resolution.
The series is WAY better than the prequel movies. Rebels is a great story focusing on a whole new set of characters, although it is dotted with familiar names now and then. It finished it's run last year, and the ending was perfect.
Both are great for binging.

Currently I'm tuned into Star Wars Resistance, which is a story leading into the events that make up The Force Awakens. Poe Dameron makes occasional appearances, and BB-8 is a major character, doing what BB-8 does. It is done differently, in a distinct anime style. I was not thrilled with it out of the box, but it is getting better and more engaging as the season progresses. It has already been renewed for a second run.

It didn't take long...just started it and already enjoying it. I don't love the animation style which I think is part of it why I didn't get sucked in the first time around. I think the other part is that I originally tried to watch the Clone Wars shortly after seeing (and being very disappointed with) Last Jedi, so I just wasn't in a good, receptive state for new Star Wars material.

I'll give Rebels and Resistance a spin eventually, although I'll have to find a source for them since they aren't on Netflix.

CameronBornAndBred
01-11-2019, 11:58 PM
I'll give Rebels and Resistance a spin eventually, although I'll have to find a source for them since they aren't on Netflix.
Both are on the Disney XD app. If you get Disney on your cable/dish, or in my case, DirectvNOW, you login with those credentials.
Get through Clone Wars first though. The respite coming later this year supposedly leads directly into Revenge of the Sith.

Reisen
01-13-2019, 07:20 PM
I'll add another voice to those that watched it and liked it. Not the best ever, but in the middle of the Star Wars series...

ncexnyc
01-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Having passed on Solo in the theaters due to poor reviews, the family and I watched it on Netflix the other night and we really enjoyed it. It's really sad that Solo and Rogue One were so much better than the recent main story movies.

In fact my wife who isn't a big fan of the franchise asked if there would be a follow-up, which goes to show how much she enjoyed this movie.

I was shocked by the appearance of Darth Maul, but then when I saw people talking about the tie in with the cartoons it made sense. I wasn't a fan of Lando and his droid and like many other people who've commented about her on other sites, didn't mind when she got wasted.

Honestly, I spend more time watching Netflix than regular cable TV. They've got Season 2 of "The Punisher" starting on Friday and later this month they got an interesting Netflix movie titled, "Polar", and to cap off the month they have "Ant-Man and The Wasp."

fuse
01-13-2019, 09:55 PM
I posted up thread when I watched Solo in the theatre. Enjoyable entertainment.

I watched Solo again today on Netflix.
Surprisingly not rewatchable. I had thought the movie was pretty well done, it just didn’t really hold my attention the second time around.

Bring on the Lando movie!