But they pulled poor old Hank Williams out of a Cadillac Coupe DeVille
He ended up on alcohol and pills

Alcohol and pills, its a cryin' shame
You think they might have been happy with the glory and the fame
But fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills
And you wind up on alcohol and pills
And you wind up on alcohol and pills

— Fred Eaglesmith

As you say, very sad but not surprising.

moonpie23
01-20-2018, 09:02 AM
the music business is rough. seems like the three main take-downs are, drugs(booze), money and love.

My dad used to say, "there's a price to be paid for everything you do".......

i used to think he was talking about money.... :(

OldPhiKap
01-20-2018, 09:08 AM
the music business is rough. seems like the three main take-downs are, drugs(booze), money and love.

My dad used to say, "there's a price to be paid for everything you do"....

i used to think he was talking about money... :(

“My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It’s better to burn out
Than to fade away
My my, hey hey . . . .”

— Neil

cspan37421
01-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Can't say this is surprising but still extremely depressing:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/health/tom-petty-cause-of-death/index.html

If it's true that Delores O'Riordan suffered back problems much of last year, it would not surprise me at all if she died from similar causes (a la Prince as well - just dropping dead from Fenanyl). The time lag for testing is similar too ... latest on Delores is that results won't be out til April.

Amazing how risky the latest pain meds are.

lotusland
01-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Just keep your nose on the grindstone and out of the pills...
https://youtu.be/_QzcrflqDCg

freshmanjs
01-20-2018, 11:22 AM
If it's true that Delores O'Riordan suffered back problems much of last year, it would not surprise me at all if she died from similar causes (a la Prince as well - just dropping dead from Fenanyl). The time lag for testing is similar too ... latest on Delores is that results won't be out til April.

Amazing how risky the latest pain meds are.

Very likely that one was a suicide. Also, it is Dolores.

http://people.com/music/dolores-oriordan-dead-inside-difficult-life/

jimsumner
01-20-2018, 10:50 PM

My dad used to say, "there's a price to be paid for everything you do"....

i used to think he was talking about money... :(

I suspect we could add travel to the list of take-downs.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2018, 07:55 AM
I suspect we could add travel to the list of take-downs.

There is a really interesting and entertaining documentary about stand-up comics called “Dying Laughing,” folks who watch it will know many of the comedians interviewed. It is about what the life is like as a stand-up. The parts about travel, loneliness on the road, the disconnected life, etc. certainly applies to musicians.

Highly recommend that film on its own merits, but also as it relates to musicians.

jimsumner
01-21-2018, 07:21 PM
There is a really interesting and entertaining documentary about stand-up comics called “Dying Laughing,” folks who watch it will know many of the comedians interviewed. It is about what the life is like as a stand-up. The parts about travel, loneliness on the road, the disconnected life, etc. certainly applies to musicians.

Highly recommend that film on its own merits, but also as it relates to musicians.

Not to mention the deaths directly attributable to travel. Glenn Miller, Clifford Brown, Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Denver, Guido Cantelli, Jim Croce, et. al. We could do this all day. Unfortunately.

duke74
01-21-2018, 07:46 PM
Not to mention the deaths directly attributable to travel. Glenn Miller, Clifford Brown, Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Denver, Guido Cantelli, Jim Croce, et. al. We could do this all day. Unfortunately.

Jim, I'm not sure I would lump Denver in this this group, but understand the point. Didn't he crash his glider into a mountain while recreationally flying? Didn't die on the way to a concert or engagement.

BTW, if you include Holly, then of course the Big Bopper and Richie Valens would also be included.

jimsumner
01-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Jim, I'm not sure I would lump Denver in this this group, but understand the point. Didn't he crash his glider into a mountain while recreationally flying? Didn't die on the way to a concert or engagement.

BTW, if you include Holly, then of course the Big Bopper and Richie Valens would also be included.

Yep on Denver. I remember plane crash but not that it was a recreational crash. More Thurman Munson than the Day the Music Died.

Eddie Cochran was returning from a gig. I guess he counts.

cspan37421
01-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Very likely that one was a suicide. Also, it is Dolores.

http://people.com/music/dolores-oriordan-dead-inside-difficult-life/

That last sentence seems rather unkind and uncharitable. Many people have had difficult lives, even surviving abuse, without resorting to suicide, and there's nothing we know at this stage that points to that in her case (unlike say for Chris Cornell or Chester Bennington). A too-young death can occur for many causes, and I don't see why suicide would be considered "very likely", especially in this case when, apparently, there was no note, and no (reported) evidence of self-administered death (such as discharged firearm, ligature around neck, etc).

I only brought her up because thus far it appears as unexplained as Tom Petty's and Prince's deaths were.

freshmanjs
01-21-2018, 09:02 PM
That last sentence seems rather unkind and uncharitable. Many people have had difficult lives, even surviving abuse, without resorting to suicide, and there's nothing we know at this stage that points to that in her case (unlike say for Chris Cornell or Chester Bennington). A too-young death can occur for many causes, and I don't see why suicide would be considered "very likely", especially in this case when, apparently, there was no note, and no (reported) evidence of self-administered death (such as discharged firearm, ligature around neck, etc).

I only brought her up because thus far it appears as unexplained as Tom Petty's and Prince's deaths were.

I said it was likely because she is bipolar and has attempted before. Sadly, folks in that position often die by suicide.

left_hook_lacey
01-25-2018, 03:24 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that Tom Petty had an absolute wrecked hip. He was taking pain meds, sleeping medicine, etc., to keep his tour dates until he could get it repaired. He even did a show the night before his death. Autopsy confirmed it was a reaction between all the things he was taking to alleviate the pain and try to sleep. Truly tragic. These old rockers that are still going on tour are tough ole dogs.

Jeffrey
01-25-2018, 03:39 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that Tom Petty had an absolute wrecked hip. He was taking pain meds, sleeping medicine, etc., to keep his tour dates until he could get it repaired. He even did a show the night before his death. Autopsy confirmed it was a reaction between all the things he was taking to alleviate the pain and try to sleep. Truly tragic. These old rockers that are still going on tour are tough ole dogs.

Unfortunately, the show must go on. It's amazing how many people become financially dependent on a star, like Tom Petty, constantly and consistently touring. Neil Young may not care, but Tom Petty did. IIRC, there was more money on the line, for Tom Petty's final tour, than any other in his career.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2018, 04:15 PM

My understanding is that he had a fractured hip, and it had developed into a full break. Yikes.

jimmymax
01-25-2018, 10:34 PM
FYI, this could be fun for Durhamites -- nice small venue downtown and some great local talent.

https://www.thepinhook.com/event/1635914-even-losers-tom-petty-durham/

lotusland
01-26-2018, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately, the show must go on. It's amazing how many people become financially dependent on a star, like Tom Petty, constantly and consistently touring. Neil Young may not care, but Tom Petty did. IIRC, there was more money on the line, for Tom Petty's final tour, than any other in his career.

A Showman’s Life...

https://youtu.be/mFjsVNlsyxc