PDA

View Full Version : Trevon Duval: Overcoming blurred vision in the left eye

DavidBenAkiva
01-19-2018, 10:42 AM
The Athletic (subscription required) has this fascinating insight into Trevon Duval: Coming out of high school, Duval struggled with blurred vision from his left eye. Once he arrived on campus, things changed. This explains a lot.

https://theathletic.com/213751/2018/01/19/his-world-once-a-blur-duke-point-guard-trevon-duval-can-at-long-last-see-a-bright-future/

I don't have a subscription to the site, but I assume that Duke Medical has been able to correct his vision.

Duke76
01-19-2018, 10:51 AM
The Athletic (subscription required) has this fascinating insight into Trevon Duval: Coming out of high school, Duval struggled with blurred vision from his left eye. Once he arrived on campus, things changed. This explains a lot.

https://theathletic.com/213751/2018/01/19/his-world-once-a-blur-duke-point-guard-trevon-duval-can-at-long-last-see-a-bright-future/

I don't have a subscription to the site, but I assume that Duke Medical has been able to correct his vision.

I am sure this won't getting many replies

LasVegas
01-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Could help explain his poor shooting. Depth perception is vital.

DavidBenAkiva
01-19-2018, 10:58 AM
I had been thinking about getting a subscription to the Athletic for a while, and this pushed me over the edge. Ken Pomeroy, Seth Davis, and Sam Veccine all write for the site. I won't give much away because the article gets into a lot details, but here's the long and short of it: Duval had been playing with one functional eye for more than a decade before he arrived on Duke's campus. There's nothing structurally wrong with his left eye. The Duke medical staff has helped him regain vision in his left eye and he's been training with basketball staff. This might be one of the explanations for Duval's improved shot of late. Depth perception relies on having two functional eyes, after all.

sagegrouse
01-19-2018, 11:00 AM
I had been thinking about getting a subscription to the Athletic for a while, and this pushed me over the edge. Ken Pomeroy, Seth Davis, and Sam Veccine all write for the site. I won't give much away because the article gets into a lot details, but here's the long and short of it: Duval had been playing with one functional eye for more than a decade before he arrived on Duke's campus. There's nothing structurally wrong with his left eye. The Duke medical staff has helped him regain vision in his left eye and he's been training with basketball staff. This might be one of the explanations for Duval's improved shot of late. Depth perception relies on having two functional eyes, after all.

Do you think the medical staff can check out Grayson?

Natty_B
01-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Agree it's a really good article with a lot of info on how Jose and others on the Duke medical and training staff have worked on this issue. And talks about how during the summer K was worried Duval wouldn't be ready by the start of the season.

I subscribe to the Athletic and find it certainly worth the $30 bucks a year (there are usually sales). But YMMV depending on the sports teams you follow - the sites focuses on the teams from 8 cities at the moment and if you like the teams in one of those cities it's totally worth subscribing. I would label the CBB coverage as good not great. One thing I do like is the site spends a lot of time on mid-major conferences.

MrPoon
01-19-2018, 11:31 AM
I thought the Duke basketball medical staff only had expertise with lower body injuries, most notably ankle and foot injuries. :rolleyes:

DavidBenAkiva
01-19-2018, 11:36 AM
I thought the Duke basketball medical staff only had expertise with lower body injuries, most notably ankle and foot injuries. :rolleyes:

You're joking, but that's true. There's a quote from a doctor about being used to treating sprained ankles. I rolled my eyes when I read that.

MChambers
01-19-2018, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the Duke medical staff diagnosed Jabari Parker's vision problems when he got to Duke, so it's not like they don't have experience with this.

Here's the link. https://www.si.com/vault/2014/02/24/106434527/the-education-of-jabari-parker

Owen Meany
01-19-2018, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear this great news for Duval. The fact that this will likely improve his play on the court is a huge, but secondary, bonus for everyone. Duke players have certainly seemed snake-bitten in recent years, but its always reassuring to know they are receiving the best medical care available.

NYBri
01-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Do we need a vision vigil? :cool:

tbyers11
01-19-2018, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the Duke medical staff diagnosed Jabari Parker's vision problems when he got to Duke, so it's not like they don't have experience with this.

Here's the link. https://www.si.com/vault/2014/02/24/106434527/the-education-of-jabari-parker

Agreed that the medical staff has experience diagnosing vision problems.

However, Trevon's issue seems much more complex (particularly with the athletic performance aspect) than simply telling Jabari that he needed to wear his contacts because he was nearsighted

MChambers
01-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Agreed that the medical staff has experience diagnosing vision problems.

However, Trevon's issue seems much more complex (particularly with the athletic performance aspect) than simply telling Jabari that he needed to wear his contacts because he was nearsighted

I agree completely. Just wanted to point out that a Duke freshman having vision issues wasn't new. Trevon's issue does seem more complex.

CameronBlue
01-19-2018, 01:25 PM

I can't see that happening. But when it comes to another pun fest, the eyes have it.

MChambers
01-19-2018, 01:38 PM
I can't see that happening. But when it comes to another pun fest, the eyes have it.
Fifty lashes for you!

elvis14
01-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Some issues go beyond sports. Yes, I think it's obvious that people will mention that his shooting wasn't all we wanted it to be. But when I hear this issue being diagnosed and corrected, I'm just happy for him as person. When I hear someone as young as TD having blurry vision, it's great to hear that the Duke medical staff are taking care of the issue. Depending on how much his vision was altered, his play on the court and any success he's had in the class room are likely even more remarkable than we previously realized.

Doria
01-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Yeah, elvis has a good point. I’d go even further and say that I think something as major as vision problems—especially when you want to be a high-caliber athlete—can definitely help to define your personality and behavior off the court. It doesn’t necessarily affect it negatively; I’d suspect he would say he’s a stronger person for it. But I can’t imagine it wouldn’t have some effect.

He’s one of my two favorite freshmen (if I had to choose... I mean, I like them all!), so I’m happy that he’s been able to get this worked on. In this context, I really don’t care about his shot...

devildeac
01-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Pfft, this is nothing. K has been making this diagnosis for 37+ years for the guys with whistles. :rolleyes:

Seriously, this is very interesting to read and know it has been diagnosed properly. Can't wait to see him continue to improve on his already very, very good freshman campaign.

rasputin
01-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Fifty lashes for you!

And fifty more for your pupils.

thedukelamere
01-19-2018, 03:28 PM
And fifty more for your pupils.

DBR and staying on topic: blink and you'll miss it!

Reddevil
01-19-2018, 03:47 PM

Oh, this is getting cornea and cornea.

rasputin
01-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Oh, this is getting cornea and cornea.

Iris going to say the same thing.

BD80
01-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Watch your terminology, what you describe is double vision.

weezie
01-19-2018, 04:50 PM
I'm very impressed with Trevon. That's a scary burden to overcome. Hooray for the doctors at Duke. We had some experience with the Eye Center and they are top notch.

dukelifer
01-19-2018, 06:22 PM

Does it mention how long he has had this- and was it sudden. I wonder how this affected him and his development. I also wonder which is his dominant eye.

Green Wave Dukie
01-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Watch your terminology, what you describe is double vision.

Don't get all high brow about it.

CameronBlue
01-19-2018, 08:53 PM

Fie! Spare no topic!
Our mirthful puns and...HAI--KUUUUU!!!!
Oh My! Gesundheit!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-19-2018, 09:14 PM
Fie! Spare no topic!
Our mirthful puns and...HAI--KUUUUU!!!!
Oh My! Gesundheit!

There's no "i" in "Temocil," at least not where you think.

royalblue
01-20-2018, 10:13 AM
It seems this thread is within an eyelash of silliness dominating the dialogue.

Neals384
01-20-2018, 12:04 PM
I always check DBR first thing in the morning for an eye-opening experience.

drummerdevil
01-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Ok, let’s put an eyelid on this set of puns

Saratoga2
01-20-2018, 08:12 PM
His 3 point shot has improved, but his floaters are still more important

royalblue
01-20-2018, 10:06 PM
With the Zion experience coming Duke's way
This years and next years classes should have a clear
Vision of the future

uh_no
01-20-2018, 10:11 PM
With the Zion experience coming Duke's way
This years and next years classes should have a clear
Vision of the future

/thread

Skydog
01-21-2018, 05:54 PM
Agree it's a really good article with a lot of info on how Jose and others on the Duke medical and training staff have worked on this issue. And talks about how during the summer K was worried Duval wouldn't be ready by the start of the season.

I subscribe to the Athletic and find it certainly worth the $30 bucks a year (there are usually sales). But YMMV depending on the sports teams you follow - the sites focuses on the teams from 8 cities at the moment and if you like the teams in one of those cities it's totally worth subscribing. I would label the CBB coverage as good not great. One thing I do like is the site spends a lot of time on mid-major conferences.
I would subscribe to the site if I could get a $30/yr price or lower. Cheapest they are offering now is ~$42/yr and I couldn't find any internet coupons that would work. Any other ideas where I could find one of these sales?