PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Pitt (Sat, 1/20, 4pm, ACC Network) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DukieInBrasil
01-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Duke hosts Pitt on Saturday. The ESPN says it's at 4pm, and will be shown on the ACC Network.
It's probably time to stop talking about the Miami game, since that thread no longer is talking about that game.
Personally, i think Duke is gonna crush Pitt. Maybe by a million.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-18-2018, 07:35 PM
By what margin must we win and to how many points must we hold them for people not to complain our inevitable victory on Saturday?

MChambers
01-18-2018, 07:40 PM
By what margin must we win and to how many points must we hold them for people not to complain our inevitable victory on Saturday?

A margin of infinity?

MarkD83
01-18-2018, 08:17 PM
I will be happy with any Duke win that does not involve a Duke come back late in the 2nd half. Some time for the Duke walk-ons with 5 or so minutes left would also be great.

devildeac
01-18-2018, 08:53 PM
A margin of infinity?

And beyond. ;)

awhom111
01-18-2018, 09:29 PM
List of TV stations and free, unrestricted stream:
http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/acc-network-mbb-180120.aspx

Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3275609.jpg

Black:
-On TV via station from list linked above
-Online via link posted above

Green:
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 790, AT&T U-Verse 616, Verizon FIOS 823)
-Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN

AGDukesky
01-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Other than a win, all I want is Allen to find his outside shot

W&LHoo
01-18-2018, 09:57 PM
At this point, a loss to Pitt requires some new category worse than a "bad loss."

No ACC school should lose to Pitt regardless of venue or circumstance.

DU82
01-18-2018, 10:01 PM
G-Man, on the State-Wake game, mentioned that Dick Groat, radio analyst for Pitt who at 87 typically does not travel to away games, will be at the game on Saturday, and will be honored at halftime.

Pghdukie
01-18-2018, 10:02 PM
I would like for the Crazies to remember the Pitt student chants of "overrated" and "Bagley sucks". A dose of reality would be nice !

Green Wave Dukie
01-18-2018, 10:13 PM
List of TV stations and free, unrestricted stream:
http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/acc-network-mbb-180120.aspx

Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3275609.jpg

Black:

Green:
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (DirecTV 790, AT&T U-Verse 616, Verizon FIOS 823)
-Online via ACC Network Extra section of WatchESPN

Was trying to figure out if I need to schedule Saturday's activities in time to be home by 4:00. Thanks a bunch Awhom. Truly appreciate it.

gep
01-18-2018, 11:19 PM
I would like for the Crazies to remember the Pitt student chants of "overrated" and "Bagley sucks". A dose of reality would be nice !

Maybe the Crazies can chant "over-rated" towards Pitt... :cool:

uh_no
01-18-2018, 11:44 PM

or maybe we should chant "condolences"

Atldukie79
01-19-2018, 08:04 AM
G-Man, on the State-Wake game, mentioned that Dick Groat, radio analyst for Pitt who at 87 typically does not travel to away games, will be at the game on Saturday, and will be honored at halftime.

I wish I could be in the arena to honor Dick Groat this weekend. I grew up in awe of the man who wore the retired jersey, #10, folded and displayed under glass in a picture frame in the lobby of Cameron.
I marveled at how small Groat must have been (it took some time before I realized the jersey was folded:))

My father spoke of him and his hardwood exploits in mythical terms. He must have seemed a transcendent player in his time. Very few of the attendees this Saturday will have remembered seeing him play in Cameron. Frankly very few will recall any film.

I have noticed when former players are introduced in Cameron, the cheers seem louder for the recent players, perhaps understandably.
I hope Dick Groat is received with the respect and honor he deserves. He is a treasure.

dukelifer
01-19-2018, 08:11 AM

This will be an interesting game because I am not sure how the players will approach it. It is most important that Grayson get going again and that the unforced/bad pass turnovers be reduced. The rest should take care of itself. But with Freshman anything is possible.

Matches
01-19-2018, 08:25 AM

I'd suggest "correctly rated" if we're up by 30 or more.

devilseven
01-19-2018, 08:36 AM
I'd suggest "correctly rated" if we're up by 30 or more.

What about: RATED------UNRATED

DavidBenAkiva
01-19-2018, 09:10 AM
I'm just kidding, there are no keys to this game. When Duke faced off against Pitt on January 10th, they were coming off an embarrassing loss to NC State. They asserted renewed interest in defense and blew out the home team by 35 points. Duke now looks poised to climb in the rankings as they have won 3 in a row after the stirring comeback at Miami on Monday. Rested, ready to further refine the defense, and preparing for a showdown against #2 Virginia in a week, Duke will look to work out a few kinks.

Grayson Allen, where has your shot gone?
Get healthy, stay healthy
Don't even think about it

Grayson Allen, where has your shot gone? After starting the season on a hot streak, the senior guard has gone cold from deep. He's an ice-cold 8-41 (19.5%) in his conference games and hasn't looked right since a 22-point scoring effort in a home win against Florida State. He's snapped out of his shooting slumps before, including this season. In the four games leading up to the PK80 Championship game against Florida, Allen shot 4-23 from 3. In the next 4 games, he shot better than 57% from beyond the arc. He can get out of this. Now would be a good time to start feeling confident again.

Get healthy, stay healthy. Players get injured throughout the season. Marvin Bagley III had to reinsert his shoulder during the Miami game (and still managed a double-double). Javin DeLaurier and Marques Bolden have been struggling with leg injuries. We will need the three big men to return to form before long. Let's hope they feel loose and limber for the game on Saturday and beyond.

Don't even think about it. This is not a game to overlook, but allowing Pitt to think they have a chance in this game would be bad form. Shut the door early. Build a big lead. By the end of the first 10 minutes, Duke should have a 15-point advantage. By the end of the 1st half, the game should be over. This is not a team that should think they have a chance after the opening tip. They have lost the last 6 games by an average margin of almost 20 points per game. The second half should be boring but for the occasional dunk or Justin Robinson chase down block. I want to see Mike Buckmire cross a guy up and lay it in. Make it happen.

Ballboy1998
01-19-2018, 09:33 AM

I have to say, fans chanting "overrated" while their team was down 21 points was definitely a new one for me. Seemed like it would have been more demoralizing for Pitt than Duke.

As others have said, hoping for a chance for Grayson to work his way out of his shooting slump and for no injuries.

PackMan97
01-19-2018, 09:48 AM
I'll go out on a limb and predict that you guys beat Pitt by more than the 35 you did last time. I'm sure that in the 10 days since you played Pitt, they have really had a chance to improve their game and come together as a team to be able to handle the loving embrace of Cameroon Indoor Stadium. Because who doesn't enjoy playing the same team in back to back weeks?

It's not as if you guys turn around and travel to Wake after this game.

Billy Dat
01-19-2018, 10:21 AM

The Pitt fans were wearing "Pitt is Lit!" shirts during the Duke game. Might be fun if some crazies used the same color scheme and font to communicate the rhyming reality that "Pitt is S***!" Of course, the real fun might be inciting Kevin Stallings into some kind of mayhem.

Truth&Justise
01-19-2018, 10:50 AM
I have to say, fans chanting "overrated" while their team was down 21 points was definitely a new one for me. Seemed like it would have been more demoralizing for Pitt than Duke.

As others have said, hoping for a chance for Grayson to work his way out of his shooting slump and for no injuries.

Wasn't that the point? This had to be a self-deprecating joke, right? There's no way they're that un-aware.

Spanarkel
01-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Although hopefully Duke won't need the talents of JD and Marques to dispense of Pitt, it's a good sign that both were running on Monday prior to the Miami game.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/952965670081368064

rasputin
01-19-2018, 02:05 PM
A margin of infinity?

I think I'll bet for us not to cover that spread.

COYS
01-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Aside from watching a Duke win, here are the things I'm most interested in seeing.

1) Man or Zone? Thanks to the incredible analysis and research in the "Tracking Duke's Defense" thread, we know that the zone has been more effective this season, although exactly how much better is still open for debate. Pitt is a very weak team, however, and K might view this as a good time to keep working on MTM. Keep in mind, the 2015 team looked incredible in zone in a win at Louisville after looking awful in MTM and losing the two previous games. However, despite playing lots of zone for a while, that team eventually went back to MTM and memorably played elite defense during the NCAAT. Will K roll with MTM against a weak opponent to see if the team can make the same change? If Duke primarily plays zone against such a weak team, I think it might be a big indication that we'll primarily see zone for the rest of the season. If we see a lot of MTM, then I think the staff is hoping the team will eventually figure it out before the end of the year.

2) Elite O and Elite D in the same game? Duke's offense has been fantastic all season. It's hard to nitpick such an explosive offense. However, primarily due to turning the ball over at a higher rate than usual, the O has been just shy of elite over the past few games. Meanwhile, this three game winning streak also corresponds with Duke's best defensive stretch of the season. The team expends a lot of effort on D, so it's possible that the regression on O is a side-effect of the improved D (a tradeoff I'll gladly take as our offense is still absolutely fantastic). However, I want to see Duke combine a stratospheric offensive performance with a strong defensive effort if for no other reason than it's really fun to watch.

3) MBIII This dude is so incredible and so much fun to watch that I feel sad knowing that I've got an ever-smaller number of games to watch him in Duke blue. With Javin and Marques working their way back, I bet Marvin gets significant minutes even if it's a blowout. After the "down" game he had in Miami, I'd be surprised if he doesn't dominate Pitt.

gofurman
01-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Aside from watching a Duke win, here are the things I'm most interested in seeing.

1) Man or Zone? Thanks to the incredible analysis and research in the "Tracking Duke's Defense" thread, we know that the zone has been more effective this season, although exactly how much better is still open for debate. Pitt is a very weak team, however, and K might view this as a good time to keep working on MTM. Keep in mind, the 2015 team looked incredible in zone in a win at Louisville after looking awful in MTM and losing the two previous games. However, despite playing lots of zone for a while, that team eventually went back to MTM and memorably played elite defense during the NCAAT. Will K roll with MTM against a weak opponent to see if the team can make the same change? If Duke primarily plays zone against such a weak team, I think it might be a big indication that we'll primarily see zone for the rest of the season. If we see a lot of MTM, then I think the staff is hoping the team will eventually figure it out before the end of the year.

2) Elite O and Elite D in the same game? Duke's offense has been fantastic all season. It's hard to nitpick such an explosive offense. However, primarily due to turning the ball over at a higher rate than usual, the O has been just shy of elite over the past few games. Meanwhile, this three game winning streak also corresponds with Duke's best defensive stretch of the season. The team expends a lot of effort on D, so it's possible that the regression on O is a side-effect of the improved D (a tradeoff I'll gladly take as our offense is still absolutely fantastic). However, I want to see Duke combine a stratospheric offensive performance with a strong defensive effort if for no other reason than it's really fun to watch.

3) MBIII This dude is so incredible and so much fun to watch that I feel sad knowing that I've got an ever-smaller number of games to watch him in Duke blue. With Javin and Marques working their way back, I bet Marvin gets significant minutes even if it's a blowout. After the "down" game he had in Miami, I'd be surprised if he doesn't dominate Pitt.

interesting - I love every Duke game. Could be a chance to practice M2M. Take no one lightly though.. No one. Hope for health and rest anyone that needs rest if they are even still a little gimp - Bolden? DeLaurier? Hammys can be tough. long time til March. I wouldn't mind seeing them wait another game or three to play. get all the way back before playing. don't want a 'lingering' issue

Pghdukie
01-19-2018, 06:15 PM
Duke opens a 27.5 point favorite

Saratoga2
01-19-2018, 09:47 PM
I will be happy with any Duke win that does not involve a Duke come back late in the 2nd half. Some time for the Duke walk-ons with 5 or so minutes left would also be great.

Want to see Grayson's offense include better 3 point shooting.

duketaylor
01-20-2018, 09:46 AM

How 'bout "UNDER...Whelming?"

left_hook_lacey
01-20-2018, 09:50 AM
My guide says free style skiing at 4pm today on wral. 🤔

left_hook_lacey
01-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Duke opens a 27.5 point favorite

Vegasinsider has many books at 27 some as high as 29. When was the last time we were a 29 point favorite over an ACC opponent?

Pitt is God awefull. So much so I wish we didn't have to play this game. Too much risk of someone getting hurt in a game our bench could win by 20.

tbyers11
01-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Vegasinsider has many books at 27 some as high as 29. When was the last time we were a 29 point favorite over an ACC opponent?

Pitt is God awefull. So much so I wish we didn't have to play this game. Too much risk of someone getting hurt in a game our bench could win by 20.

According to Josh Goodson (https://twitter.com/joshwgoodson/status/954727182768754689) below, it was 2001 vs FSU. We covered and beat FSU that day 100-58. UNC did not cover against BC in 2012 winning 83-60.

Josh Goodson‏
@joshwgoodson

Duke up to a 29 pt fave vs Pitt.

Best can tell largest ACC point spread since UNC -31 vs BC in 2012.

Largest Duke vs ACC team spread since Duke -31 vs FSU in 2001
6:47 AM - 20 Jan 2018

Troublemaker
01-20-2018, 10:37 AM
From what I understand, we're going to see an opponent zone us more today than any game previously.

It'll be interesting to see how well we can attack their zone.

uh_no
01-20-2018, 10:45 AM
From what I understand, we're going to see an opponent zone us more today than any game previously.

certainly will be a good test....as we could force things and end up with a lot of turnovers.

Pitt's not good, though. I'm guessing we have no trouble. especially if the hot shooting continues.

superdave
01-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Spot up 3's from Allen and Trent combined with offensive boards by Bagley and Carter. Would love to see us push pace a lot so the zone never gets set.

Bob Green
01-20-2018, 10:58 AM

We need to get the high-low offense working. Place Bagley at the free throw line with Carter in the low block or vice versa and move the ball.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-20-2018, 10:58 AM

A great big thumbs up.
Love, Ima

uh_no
01-20-2018, 11:11 AM
6 game no wins 6 games no wins

oh for 6...oh for 6

HEY....everybody beats the hell out of YOU!

panthers bite!

drummerdevil
01-20-2018, 11:39 AM
Winning team... losing team... but before tipoff

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Awful lot of hubris in this thread.

mgtr
01-20-2018, 12:26 PM

Hope we don't fall!

uh_no
01-20-2018, 02:45 PM

pride, where there is a real superiority, will always be be in good regulation.

- fitzwilliam Darcy

-jk
01-20-2018, 03:02 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

drummerdevil
01-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Javin is dressed... bolden not. Hope to get to see Javin!

drummerdevil
01-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Scratch that... bolden is dressed

DukeDevil
01-20-2018, 03:15 PM
At the game. Delaurier warning up. Bolden sitting to the side

OZZIE4DUKE
01-20-2018, 03:39 PM
At the game. Delaurier warning up. Bolden sitting to the side
Bolden is supervising the layup line. Javin is participating.

riverside6
01-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Pitt, starters posted...
https://www.scacchoops.com/pittsburgh-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-01202018

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Why does the ESPN app tell me the game is blacked out in my area (the triangle)??? This keeps happening. I can’t seem to watch Duke games if I am out of my house running around doing stuff with the kids. Grrrr...

devil84
01-20-2018, 04:11 PM
In the Triangle, the game is on WRAL.

ETA: if you're out and about and want to watch on your device, it's available at http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/acc-network-mbb-180120.aspx

striker219
01-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Why does the ESPN app tell me the game is blacked out in my area (the triangle)??? This keeps happening. I can’t seem to watch Duke games if I am out of my house running around doing stuff with the kids. Grrrr...

There's a link at the beginning of the thread to watch the game at theacc.com.

TheOldBattleship
01-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Nice! Good to see Allen rise up with confidence and knock that one in off of the handoff. Find that shot, Grayson!

Edit: I think I jinxed him. That one he missed didn't look so good. I'll take the blame, though.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-20-2018, 04:25 PM
There's a link at the beginning of the thread to watch the game at theacc.com.
Thanks!

accfanfrom1970
01-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Hope Grayson is ok....

TheOldBattleship
01-20-2018, 04:27 PM
I like what K is having us do on D here: extending literally as far as possible, playing the kind of high-wire 1 on 1 individual pressure D that requires really good fundamentals and good communication to help over just enough to keep guys from getting all the way to the cup, really testing the limits of what we're able to do. This is probably not how we're going to play against better teams almost at all, but this demands a lot of the guys (in as low-pressure an environment as you can ever get in conference play).

carteretdevil
01-20-2018, 04:32 PM
great move by Dual to penetrate that zone and dish to Bagley

subzero02
01-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Trent's stroke is straight butter right now...

TheOldBattleship
01-20-2018, 04:51 PM
My goodness. Bagley picked that ball up OUTSIDE OF THE THREE-POINT LINE and got to the cup without traveling SO EASILY. Positively Antetokounmpoian! Just outrageous athleticism right there.

billy
01-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Holy Carter!! I think we have a new Landlord

LasVegas
01-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Pitt is just so so so so bad. Could they be any worse? Yikes

SCMatt33
01-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Well that was an interesting half defensively. It was almost kamikaze like, often having 3 outside e three point line and four or even five above the foul line extended. It's seemed like the vast majority of Pitt possessions ended in a turnover, a desperation end of shot clock situation, or a wide open shot. Thankfully, Pitt had a lot of turnovers.

DukeDevil
01-20-2018, 04:59 PM

Dick Groat ceremony

cato
01-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Holy Carter!! I think we have a new Landlord

I haven’t seen anything like those last four minutes since Shelden. That is for sure.

But I didn’t hear any “Pay your rent!” chants, so I’m not sure there is a new Landlord just yet.

subzero02
01-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Pitt is just so so so so bad. Could they be any worse? Yikes

They're pittiful. The ACC is a peach of a basketball conference but every peach has a pitt.

WVDUKEFAN
01-20-2018, 05:25 PM
My man Grayson is getting his stroke back.

duke4ever19
01-20-2018, 05:26 PM
They're pittiful. The ACC is a peach of a basketball conference but every peach has a pitt.

This is just outstanding work here.

53n206
01-20-2018, 05:39 PM
My man Grayson is getting his stroke back.

Absolutely.. And good team defense too.

carteretdevil
01-20-2018, 05:50 PM
O' Connell has looked "out of sorts" today. Seems a little tentative today. Appreciate the hustle, but he has not been his usual spark of energy

arnie
01-20-2018, 05:51 PM
Vrank with the 1st sub points!