PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament To Raleigh?

hallcity
01-18-2018, 09:24 AM
Luke Decock at the N&O (https://t.co/zYOscxT4Jm) is making the argument for the ACC Tournament to come to Raleigh on its 75th anniversary with the first round games in Reynolds Coliseum. I'd love to see it, and not just for one year, since I live in Raleigh and my office is within sight of the PNC Arena. Would this stand a chance of happening?

devildeac
01-18-2018, 09:41 AM
I'll join this committee.

Meetings and cocktails at your office (within walking distance for me)? ;)

PackMan97
01-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Not until we get a new commissioner.

uh_no
01-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Luke Decock at the N&O (https://t.co/zYOscxT4Jm) is making the argument for the ACC Tournament to come to Raleigh on its 75th anniversary with the first round games in Reynolds Coliseum. I'd love to see it, and not just for one year, since I live in Raleigh and my office is within sight of the PNC Arena. Would this stand a chance of happening?

not sure the league would be keen at having the tournament at the home arena of one of the schools. Sure other leagues do it, but i'm not sure I'm a fan for the ACC.

Would you be okay having it at the dean dome? Then PNC should be no different.

jv001
01-18-2018, 09:55 AM
I would be for it if it's just this one year or even if it's again on the 100 anniversary of the tourney. GoDuke!

BigZ
01-18-2018, 10:05 AM
How about at Cameron ?

PackMan97
01-18-2018, 10:17 AM
How about at Cameron ?

Wouldn't that be something...a game at Cameron in which 14/15ths of the crowd were chearing against Duke.

hallcity
01-18-2018, 10:21 AM
How about at Cameron ?

Not happening, of course, but I've heard that some old Southern Conference Tournaments were held at what was then Duke Indoor Stadium.

moonpie23
01-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't that be something...a game at Cameron in which 14/15ths of the crowd were chearing against Duke.

i love dbr.....the design is pretty darn good, but could we get a "like" button? I see it on other boards and it seems to be non-intrusive to the "game plan"..

just the basic Thumbs up/thumbs down

oh, i am PURPOSELY OMITING ANY REFERENCE TO ANY OTHER SYSTEM OF REWARD OR DISLIKE.......

84Duke
01-18-2018, 10:24 AM
Someone can correct my history, but I thought Duke Indoor Stadium was the top basketball arena in the country when it was built. (I will add that I was a campus tour guide a couple of years, so memorized stuff like that.)

uh_no
01-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Someone can correct my history, but I thought Duke Indoor Stadium was the top basketball arena in the country when it was built. (I will add that I was a campus tour guide a couple of years, so memorized stuff like that.)

in the south.

84Duke
01-18-2018, 10:27 AM
in the south.

Fair enough.

Truth&Justise
01-18-2018, 10:30 AM

It's just so weird to think of the ACC tournament not happening in New York.

;)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-18-2018, 10:31 AM

I would like to get Gary Williams' thoughts on this proposal.

84Duke
01-18-2018, 10:41 AM
I would like to get Gary Williams' thoughts on this proposal.

Gary is vacationing in Alaska (aka, the Delaware beach with an age inappropriate date.)

DU82
01-18-2018, 10:47 AM
not sure the league would be keen at having the tournament at the home arena of one of the schools. Sure other leagues do it, but i'm not sure I'm a fan for the ACC.

Would you be okay having it at the dean dome? Then PNC should be no different.

I think the difference that Decock was arguing (aside from the history) is that the PNC arena is a professional sports venue, unlike (I think) all other ACC homes. So that it, better than any other, can handle the needs, including the club boxes, etc.

I wouldn't mind it at all, since it's the second closest ACC arena to my house. (The DESSAC may be closer as the crow flies, but PNC is quicker to get to from south Durham. Except today!)

flyingdutchdevil
01-18-2018, 10:49 AM
You know, cus it's convenient for me :D

Olympic Fan
01-18-2018, 12:15 PM
Not happening, of course, but I've heard that some old Southern Conference Tournaments were held at what was then Duke Indoor Stadium.

Actually, the 1947, 1948, 1949 and 1950 Southern Conference Tournaments were held in Cameron (known at the time as Duke Indoor Stadium).

Here's what happened.

When the Southern Conference split in 1932 (the modern SEC breaking off), the tournament moved to Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium. Not really a basketball arena, it was a small (3,500 seat) multi-purpose facility. When basketball exploded in North Carolinas in 1938, they added 1,500 more seats. When Duke beat NC State in the semifinals, the crowd was reported to be the largest ever to see an indoors sporting event in the South.

WWII kind of slowed the explosion of basketball interest. But it picked up again after the war -- the 1946 Duke-UNC fame was the first basketball sellout in Cameron.

The next season, Everett Case arrived at N.C. State and ratcheted excitement about basketball to an entirely new level. Early in the season, State beat UNC in Woollen Gym. Late in the season, the two teams were due to rematch in Stat's tiny Walter Thompson Gym. It turned into a mob scene with thousands of fans trying to get ion the small (I want to sau 4,000 seat) area). They broke doors and windows to get in and so many jammed the arena that the Fire Marshall cancelled the game.

The next morning, Case was on the phone to Duke AD Eddie Cameron, who was also chairman of the Southern Conference basketball committee. He convinced Cameron to move the tournament from Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium to Duke Indoor Stadium -- at the time the largest basketball facility in the South. With barely two weeks notice, they moved the tournament to Durham. It stayed there until State finished Reynolds Coliseum (3,500 seats larger than Duke).

NC State won all four tournaments played at Duke. Incidentally, when State won in 1947, Case introduced an old Indianan high school tradition -- cutting down the nets. It's believed to be the first time that was done after a college game ... so Cameron can claim that as a historic moment.

PS Duke also hosted one NCAA Tournament game. In 1954, just after the ACC/Southern Conference splot, the ACC champion was scheduled to play the Southern Conference champ in the first round. The NCAA wanted the game in Raleigh, but SC champ George Washington objected, so the game was moved to Durham ... and State won a thriller.

left_hook_lacey
01-18-2018, 12:50 PM
I'll join this committee.

Meetings and cocktails at your office (within walking distance for me)? ;)

Sounds like a plan. 45 min drive for me, and it appears I have somewhere to park and an expert in libations. What's not to like?

I have no problem having it at an arena like State's. It's a professional arena that is very easy to get in and out of with plenty of easy access parking. I have been to many games, concerts, etc. at PNC over the years and have always thought it was well-designed for big events.

As far as it being an advantage for State, I would say, not really. No more so than Greensboro being an advantage for UNC, Wake or Duke. The local teams are going to show up whether it's in Greensboro, Charlotte, Raleigh, whatever.

As long as we move it around from city to city like we've been doing, I have no problem with it being played in PNC once and a while. I mean, it's State, what are they going to do with an advantage? Win? Pffftt.

Be even cooler if they'd sell beer, but I digress.

summerwind03
01-18-2018, 01:20 PM
"NC State won all four tournaments played at Duke. Incidentally, when State won in 1947, Case introduced an old Indianan high school tradition -- cutting down the nets. It's believed to be the first time that was done after a college game ... so Cameron can claim that as a historic moment."

That is fascinating! Thanks for the history.

devildeac
01-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Actually, the 1947, 1948, 1949 and 1950 Southern Conference Tournaments were held in Cameron (known at the time as Duke Indoor Stadium).

Here's what happened.

When the Southern Conference split in 1932 (the modern SEC breaking off), the tournament moved to Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium. Not really a basketball arena, it was a small (3,500 seat) multi-purpose facility. When basketball exploded in North Carolinas in 1938, they added 1,500 more seats. When Duke beat NC State in the semifinals, the crowd was reported to be the largest ever to see an indoors sporting event in the South.

WWII kind of slowed the explosion of basketball interest. But it picked up again after the war -- the 1946 Duke-UNC fame was the first basketball sellout in Cameron.

The next season, Everett Case arrived at N.C. State and ratcheted excitement about basketball to an entirely new level. Early in the season, State beat UNC in Woollen Gym. Late in the season, the two teams were due to rematch in Stat's tiny Walter Thompson Gym. It turned into a mob scene with thousands of fans trying to get ion the small (I want to sau 4,000 seat) area). They broke doors and windows to get in and so many jammed the arena that the Fire Marshall cancelled the game.

The next morning, Case was on the phone to Duke AD Eddie Cameron, who was also chairman of the Southern Conference basketball committee. He convinced Cameron to move the tournament from Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium to Duke Indoor Stadium -- at the time the largest basketball facility in the South. With barely two weeks notice, they moved the tournament to Durham. It stayed there until State finished Reynolds Coliseum (3,500 seats larger than Duke).

NC State won all four tournaments played at Duke. Incidentally, when State won in 1947, Case introduced an old Indianan high school tradition -- cutting down the nets. It's believed to be the first time that was done after a college game ... so Cameron can claim that as a historic moment.

PS Duke also hosted one NCAA Tournament game. In 1954, just after the ACC/Southern Conference splot, the ACC champion was scheduled to play the Southern Conference champ in the first round. The NCAA wanted the game in Raleigh, but SC champ George Washington objected, so the game was moved to Durham ... and State won a thriller.

I'd have sworn deano invented that, too. (kidding-sort of)

jimsumner
01-18-2018, 02:29 PM
Cameron did host an NIT game, back in 1981.

And of course, lots of NCAAT women's games.

The architectural firm that designed the Duke Indoor Stadium advised Duke to limit capacity to around 5,000 or so. No reason to go to 8,333. College basketball would never be that popular in the south.

Fortunately, no one listened.

As for Luke's idea, I'm thinking he was bored. I cannot imagine this happening.

devildeac
01-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Cameron did host an NIT game, back in 1981.

And of course, lots of NCAAT women's games.

The architectural firm that designed the Duke Indoor Stadium advised Duke to limit capacity to around 5,000 or so. No reason to go to 8,333. College basketball would never be that popular in the south.

Fortunately, no one listened.

As for Luke's idea, I'm thinking he was bored. I cannot imagine this happening.

It was actually 2 NIT games. I drove over from Winston-Salem for both of them. :D

kako
01-18-2018, 02:49 PM

No way teams outside of the Big 4 would ever agree, unless the Big 4 give up major $$$ (not happening). And WF may side with the other 11 teams. The other teams have a big enough problem with Greensboro or Charlotte... Raleigh? Where the Triangle teams (and their fans) could all potentially sleep in their own beds? If there were a chance less than 0, I'd say that.

But Boeheim could at least get a burger at Char-Grill after he loses in the late game.

jimsumner
01-18-2018, 02:52 PM
It was actually 2 NIT games. I drove over from Winston-Salem for both of them. :D

Right. NC A&T and Alabama. Gene Banks broke a wrist against A&T. Kenny Dennard stepped up and willed Duke to a win over 'Bama. But Duke lost in the next round to Purdue, the same team that ended Duke's season in the 1980 NCAA Elite Eight.

Duke got revenge on Purdue in 1994.

1981 was K's first season at Duke.

devildeac
01-18-2018, 03:04 PM
No way teams outside of the Big 4 would ever agree, unless the Big 4 give up major $$$ (not happening). And WF may side with the other 11 teams. The other teams have a big enough problem with Greensboro or Charlotte... Raleigh? Where the Triangle teams (and their fans) could all potentially sleep in their own beds? If there were a chance less than 0, I'd say that.

But Boeheim could at least get a burger at Char-Grill after he loses in the late game.

I'd buy him a custard or concrete at Goodberry's, too. ;)

devildeac
01-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Right. NC A&T and Alabama. Gene Banks broke a wrist against A&T. Kenny Dennard stepped up and willed Duke to a win over 'Bama. But Duke lost in the next round to Purdue, the same team that ended Duke's season in the 1980 NCAA Elite Eight.

Duke got revenge on Purdue in 1994.

1981 was K's first season at Duke.

Thanks for additional background/info. I thought Banks broke his wrist in one of those games but couldn't remember which one. :(

Henderson
01-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Wake me up when beat writers for newspapers in Miami, Boston, Louisville, South Bend, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse argue for an ACC tourney in Raleigh.

Nostalgia died when the ACC expanded to cover the entire eastern third of the U.S.

cato
01-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Wake me up when beat writers for newspapers in Miami, Boston, Louisville, South Bend, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse argue for an ACC tourney in Raleigh.

Nostalgia died when the ACC expanded to cover the entire eastern third of the U.S.

Do they have college basketball beat writers in Miami, Pittsburg or Boston?

jimsumner
01-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Thanks for additional background/info. I thought Banks broke his wrist in one of those games but couldn't remember which one. :(

Mike Tissaw and Banks were playing defense on a fast break. Tissaw set up to draw the charge, while Banks went into the air to block the shot. Tissaw drew contact, went back and Banks tumbled over Tissaw's back, breaking his fall with his wrist.

A genuinely strange injury.

Bob Green
01-18-2018, 03:24 PM

You forgot Blacksburg, but I am not sure Blacksburg has a newspaper.

devildeac
01-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Now, now, Bob. Sounds a bit hokey to me.

hallcity
01-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Wake would be well advised to NEVER split with Duke, UNC and NCSU on anything of consequence. They're extremely lucky to be in a P5 conference. They may need friends to stay in one.

mgtr
01-18-2018, 04:46 PM

I went to grad school at Va Tech, and it was a happening place! For fun, we used to go the bus station and pretend we were leaving. :rolleyes:

jimsumner
01-18-2018, 05:46 PM

The Roanoke Times has a dedicated VT beat writer named Mark Furman.

He used to royally tick off Seth Greenberg by asking Greenberg questions he didn't want to answer, which was pretty much anything.

So, bonus points for Furman.

burnspbesq
01-18-2018, 07:15 PM

If that’s the criterion, then Honda Center is the obvious choice—plus everybody can go hang with Mickey when their team isn’t playing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-18-2018, 07:17 PM
The Roanoke Times has a dedicated VT beat writer named Mark Furman.

He used to royally tick off Seth Greenberg by asking Greenberg questions he didn't want to answer, which was pretty much anything.

So, bonus points for Furman.

That's a name I know.

burnspbesq
01-18-2018, 07:25 PM

If that’s the criterion, then Honda Center is the obvious choice—plus everybody can go hang with Mickey when their team isn’t playing.

Pghdukie
01-18-2018, 10:19 PM
It doesn't matter where the tournament games are played - Pitt still isn't going to win !

Thanks to all above posters for recalling history. A lot of history.

84Duke
01-19-2018, 03:51 AM
Mike Tissaw and Banks were playing defense on a fast break. Tissaw set up to draw the charge, while Banks went into the air to block the shot. Tissaw drew contact, went back and Banks tumbled over Tissaw's back, breaking his fall with his wrist.

A genuinely strange injury.

I was at both of those games. Shaking my head in the first one, saying “Thanks, Mighty Tiss.” If I recall, Jim Suddath (in his last game at Duke) finally shook of a year of injuries and played a really nice game against Alabama in that second NIT game. Jim Suddath was a really really nice guy (hopefully still is).

Henderson
01-19-2018, 05:50 AM

I didn't include them on the assumption that anyone in Blacksburg would love to go someplace anywhere anytime for any reason.

devilseven
01-19-2018, 08:23 AM
I didn't include them on the assumption that anyone in Blacksburg would love to go someplace anywhere anytime for any reason.
Apparently you have never lived there or knew anyone who did. People who live in that area absolutely love it.

Rudy
01-19-2018, 09:08 PM

The Palestra in Philly was built in 1927 with a stated capacity of 9,700. Its largest capacity crowd was 9,643. Cameron seats 9,314 I think. The Palestra’s renovation in 1987 reduced its capacity to 8,722. Standing room availability might fuzz those numbers for both arenas. Cameron’s wiki page says that the same architectural firm that built the Palestra was brought in to build what was dedicated in 1940 as Duke Indoor Stadium.

I’ve been to games in both places, both special. And loud.

BandAlum83
01-19-2018, 09:40 PM

I walked over from across the street House CC