PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Duke football schedule announced

jimsumner
01-17-2018, 02:20 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211692956&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Looks like 14-0 to me.

jimsumner
01-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Looks like 14-0 to me.

Impossible. 14-0 would just go through the NCAA semifinals. Duke would have to go 15-0 to win the national title.

carteretdevil
01-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Sure would like to see 4-0 heading into the Va Tech game but the opening trio is no slouch. Still should be able to see wins in those games.

I see this as a tough schedule with possibly 4 top 25 teams: Miami & Clemson away and Va Tech at home. Army could be a lower top 25 team next year. Regardless, they would be a tough opener for anyone. I have faith that Coach can lead the team to another bowl this year (barring injuries). Some nice visitors to Wallace Wade this year.

jimsumner
01-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Sure would like to see 4-0 heading into the Va Tech game but the opening trio is no slouch. Still should be able to see wins in those games.

I see this as a tough schedule with possibly 4 top 25 teams: Miami & Clemson away and Va Tech at home. Army could be a lower top 25 team next year. Regardless, they would be a tough opener for anyone. I have faith that Coach can lead the team to another bowl this year (barring injuries). Some nice visitors to Wallace Wade this year.

I suspect Northwestern is more likely than Army to be ranked. They played quite well down the stretch.

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2018, 02:51 PM
5 games in September, how rare is that?
Nice to see the Carolina game back in November where it belongs.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Impossible. 14-0 would just go through the NCAA semifinals. Duke would have to go 15-0 to win the national title.

Well, I was assuming that Duke goes undefeated, but isn't chosen for the playoff, obviously, but wins their bowl game.

I surely didn't miscount.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-17-2018, 02:59 PM
They forgot to note that the cheats played in the Toilet Bowl.

DavidBenAkiva
01-17-2018, 02:59 PM
I suspect Northwestern is more likely than Army to be ranked. They played quite well down the stretch.

The Northwestern QB, an NFL prospect named Clayton Thorson, had a serious knee injury in their bowl game this December. It's not clear if he'll be available when Duke hosts the Wildcats.

Bob Green
01-17-2018, 03:23 PM
A couple of initial observations:

1. We play at Georgia Tech the week after our bye week so extra time to fine tune our triple option defense.
2. All 12 regular season games are Saturday games. That makes me happy as I find Thursday and Friday night games inconvenient.

The Northwestern QB, an NFL prospect named Clayton Thorson, had a serious knee injury in their bowl game this December. It's not clear if he'll be available when Duke hosts the Wildcats.

Duke plays at Northwestern.

budwom
01-17-2018, 03:29 PM

1. We play at Georgia Tech the week after our bye week so extra time to fine tune our triple option defense.
2. All 12 regular season games are Saturday games. That makes me happy as I find Thursday and Friday night games inconvenient.

Don't worry, Bob, they'll make sure all three of our Saturday September home games are in the noon sun so you can broil like a rotisserie chicken.

jimsumner
01-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Well, I was assuming that Duke goes undefeated, but isn't chosen for the playoff, obviously, but wins their bowl game.

I surely didn't miscount.

If Duke goes 12-0, with wins over Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech and Northwestern and then wins the ACC title game to go 13-0, there is pert-near zero chance Duke would miss the playoffs. An undefeated team from a P-5 conference would not be snubbed unless there are at least four other undefeated P-5 teams and that is extraordinarily unlikely. And even then, Duke would have a lot of signature wins.

Now, the Duke-Miami game could be canceled because of a hurricane. So, that could result in 14-0. :)

And no, I do not think any of this is a realistic scenario.

Bob Green
01-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Don't worry, Bob, they'll make sure all three of our Saturday September home games are in the noon sun so you can broil like a rotisserie chicken.

When undefeated Duke hosts undefeated Virginia Tech on September 29 the game will be in prime time. :D

Bob Green
01-17-2018, 03:57 PM
A fast start in September against our out-of-conference opponents is a must. Achieving 3-1 like this past season is desirable. October is a critical month with all three games being winnable. Our two toughest opponents, Clemson and Miami, are November games.

UrinalCake
01-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Looks like basically the same schedule as this past season with the home/always flipped and Clemson in place of FSU.

jimsumner
01-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Looks like basically the same schedule as this past season with the home/always flipped and Clemson in place of FSU.

Duke played seven home games last season, winning three non-conference games at home and losing one non-conference game on the road.

Next year's schedule has two non-ACC games at home, two on the road, six at home, six on the road overall. That could be a significant difference.

Note also that the open date is much earlier in the season. Cut has complained in the past about having the open date too late in the season. An earlier open date can make it easier to manage minor injuries and fatigue.

Avvocato
01-17-2018, 04:06 PM

Plus, with Army as our opener, plenty of time to prepare for their option attack.

Pretty solid schedule. In my opinion, we need to be 2-1 after the Baylor game (though 3-0 wouldn't hurt either). I wouldn't put too much weight on Baylor's 1-11 season this year. They were dealing with lots of internal turmoil. Not that it will all be resolved next season, but they have lots of talent left and will be at home. Army is a tough opener as well, and we know about Northwestern all too well. November has games at Miami and Clemson and rivalry games with UNC and Wake. We need a good head of steam heading into November to secure our bowl position. The ACC is so much tougher now than it was 5 years ago. It's a lot of fun to watch, but a lot tougher to get your wins. Very few easy wins as we learned this year. Can't wait.

DU82
01-17-2018, 04:11 PM
If Duke goes 12-0, with wins over Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech and Northwestern and then wins the ACC title game to go 13-0, there is pert-near zero chance Duke would miss the playoffs. An undefeated team from a P-5 conference would not be snubbed unless there are at least four other undefeated P-5 teams and that is extraordinarily unlikely. And even then, Duke would have a lot of signature wins.

Now, the Duke-Miami game could be canceled because of a hurricane. So, that could result in 14-0. :)

And no, I do not think any of this is a realistic scenario.

I agree. A conference game against Miami would be rescheduled, not cancelled. :rolleyes:

arnie
01-17-2018, 04:40 PM
A fast start in September against our out-of-conference opponents is a must. Achieving 3-1 like this past season is desirable. October is a critical month with all three games being winnable. Our two toughest opponents, Clemson and Miami, are November games.

My first look says 3-1 to start with 8-4 reg season record. Losses to Clemson, Miami, one of NW/Baylor and one of VaT/WF. 5-3 in ACC should get us a solid bowl and opponent we can beat. Lots of retuning starters.

Pghdukie
01-17-2018, 05:34 PM

Bob, I will look forward to your very helpful info. Your enthusiasm and scouting reports are always top notch. Good luck and stay healthy to the proper color blue !

OldPhiKap
01-17-2018, 05:43 PM
With games @GT and @Clemson, I may catch more road games than home games.

duke2x
01-17-2018, 05:55 PM

* NCCU will be at night, but I do have bad news for you about Army in particular. That game is screaming Raycom at noon looking at the composite schedule. We all know about September games in Wally Wade, but it can cool off by the end of September as well. VT is also probably a day game with network TBD.

* I'm pleasantly surprised by our our order of games. It is more balanced (by January standards) than I figured it would be. We could win 3-4 games in September, 2-3 games in October, and 2 games in November. We really need to have 3 wins by September and 5 wins by October to go bowling.

* It scares me a little that the ACC has to come up with 12-14 officiating crews for the week of the Northwestern game, but the high number of FCS games probably means we won't get an inexperienced crew for one of our most important swing games. (The ACC normally has had 10 that rotate with 8 getting the bulk of the work.) That doesn't mean the crew will do a good or bad job. NW plays @Purdue the previous Thursday, which I think is an advantage for them.

* Bye v. GT has been mentioned, but our record is similar without it. It will also infuriate Paul Johnson for the 2nd year in a row--never a bad thing. We had the nerve to ask to play Bye before Army and play them in November this year. :)

* A potential sign of respect by ESPN-- both the Miami and Clemson road games tend to favor good TV placement on ABC or ESPN. Both those games have the risk of getting ugly historically, and both are during November sweeps.

* I like that the Champions Classic is on Tuesday, which lets Duke emphasize both revenue sports that weekend. Coach K gets Friday night for the home opener, and Cutcliffe gets UNC at home on Saturday. (I'm unpersuaded that this wasn't an issue based on our basketball scheduling for Fri-Sat opening weekend games.)

Acymetric
01-17-2018, 05:56 PM
My first look says 3-1 to start with 8-4 reg season record. Losses to Clemson, Miami, one of NW/Baylor and one of VaT/WF. 5-3 in ACC should get us a solid bowl and opponent we can beat. Lots of retuning starters.

I know you have it as an either/or, but why would Baylor be even a a potential loss (other than in the sense that any team we play is a potential loss)? Probably the 2nd worst team on our schedule. I do agree with your assessment otherwise. 7-5 would be an OK season, 8-4 would be a good season. Any better would likely mean a special season with a truly special win against someone. A 6 win season would at least mean a bowl but I would consider it disappointing. I do think 9 or more is attainable if our offense puts it together and the ball bounces our way.

Retire every starting jersey number:
Clemson

Probable losses:
Miami

Could lose (toss-ups):
Northwestern
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
UNC

Should-wins:
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Army
Pittsburgh

The sky is falling:
NC Central
Baylor

devildeac
01-17-2018, 06:03 PM
5 games in September, how rare is that?
Nice to see the Carolina game back in November where it belongs.

Be nice to see a different, honest, nearby Triangle university in that spot annually instead. :p

devildeac
01-17-2018, 06:05 PM

Bob has used plenty of my 20+ year old sunscreen over the last few years so he only resembles a medium rare steak after those contests. :o

duke2x
01-17-2018, 06:12 PM
I know you have it as an either/or, but why would Baylor be even a a potential loss (other than in the sense that any team we lay is a potential loss)? Probably the 2nd worst team on our schedule. I do agree with your assessment otherwise. 7-5 would be an OK season, 8-4 would be a good season. Any better would likely mean a special season with a truly special win against someone.

Baylor impressed me as having some of the Briles talent that made them elite but being completely in disarray with the coaching change. Remember that they almost beat Oklahoma at home 2 weeks later. That's going to be a tough game even with a new coach.

We have tended to drop 1-2 home games we can win each year, but I also think UVA, Army, and Wake will take bigger steps back than expected after losing their QBs.

I'll take NCCU, Army, UVA, Wake, Baylor, and UNC as my 6 wins with the understanding we could trade NW, Pitt, and GT for any of the P5 games on that list. I'm having a really hard time seeing 7 before spring practice to be honest.

skysdad
01-17-2018, 06:18 PM
A tough but a winnable schedule.

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2018, 09:33 PM

We get a month to prep for Army's. :D

ipatent
01-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Much tougher than last year's schedule, they'll have to win some games in the meat of the conference schedule to be bowl eligible.

devildeac
01-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Making travel plans now for the Northwestern game. It's a shame there's no Duke @ ND game the following Saturday for an extended Midwest beercation, err, football vacation.

"Meet Me in Chicago"

;)

budwom
01-18-2018, 07:52 AM
* NCCU will be at night, but I do have bad news for you about Army in particular. That game is screaming Raycom at noon looking at the composite schedule. We all know about September games in Wally Wade, but it can cool off by the end of September as well. VT is also probably a day game with network TBD.

* I'm pleasantly surprised by our our order of games. It is more balanced (by January standards) than I figured it would be. We could win 3-4 games in September, 2-3 games in October, and 2 games in November. We really need to have 3 wins by September and 5 wins by October to go bowling.

* It scares me a little that the ACC has to come up with 12-14 officiating crews for the week of the Northwestern game, but the high number of FCS games probably means we won't get an inexperienced crew for one of our most important swing games. (The ACC normally has had 10 that rotate with 8 getting the bulk of the work.) That doesn't mean the crew will do a good or bad job. NW plays @Purdue the previous Thursday, which I think is an advantage for them.

* Bye v. GT has been mentioned, but our record is similar without it. It will also infuriate Paul Johnson for the 2nd year in a row--never a bad thing. We had the nerve to ask to play Bye before Army and play them in November this year. :)

* A potential sign of respect by ESPN-- both the Miami and Clemson road games tend to favor good TV placement on ABC or ESPN. Both those games have the risk of getting ugly historically, and both are during November sweeps.

* I like that the Champions Classic is on Tuesday, which lets Duke emphasize both revenue sports that weekend. Coach K gets Friday night for the home opener, and Cutcliffe gets UNC at home on Saturday. (I'm unpersuaded that this wasn't an issue based on our basketball scheduling for Fri-Sat opening weekend games.)

Definitely not "bad news" for me as I always assume we'll play noon games in September, a plot hatched by my dermatologist. As for Army, they have a deal with CBS Sports Network, so it'll be on TV no matter whether the dolts at Raycom pick it up or not..the best thing we can do is win some games early to merit non noon slots thereafter...

Devilwin
01-18-2018, 10:20 AM
I think 8-4 is easily doable, barring injury to key players. Maybe even better than 8-4.:cool:

devildeac
01-18-2018, 10:35 AM
With games @GT and @Clemson, I may catch more road games than home games.

Are you forgetting about that *business* trip to Chicago around the second weekend in September? ;)

jimsumner
01-18-2018, 11:20 AM
I think 8-4 is easily doable, barring injury to key players. Maybe even better than 8-4.:cool:

I think 8-4 is doable. But "easily?" Hmm.

I think this could be Cut's most talented team at Duke, with one proviso, discussed below.

But the ACC is tougher than it was back in 2013. Virginia is better, Wake Forest is better, VT is at least as good, Miami is way better. And playing Clemson on the road is much tougher than the 2013 crossover game, NC State at home. Duke didn't have Northwestern on the 2013 schedule.

That proviso? The kicking game. We all remember how much Reed's struggles negatively impacted the 2016 season.

That 2013 team had Ross Martin place-kicking and Will Monday punting, one of the best combos in the nation and in Duke's history.

No way Duke matches that next season. Unless Cut can get a late signee to fill both roles, I would settle for ACC replacement-level kickers from a bunch of walk-ons. And even that might be a reach.

So, color me concerned in that crucial area.

kfan
01-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Not sure when tickets for away games will become available for purchase, but I will probably look to attend Clemson game. If there are others interested in sharing cost of renting a house near the stadium, let me know.

OldPhiKap
01-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Are you forgetting about that *business* trip to Chicago around the second weekend in September? ;)

Chicago is nice that time of year. If the Cubbies are in town, I might have to swing it. . . .

devildeac
01-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Chicago is nice that time of year. If the Cubbies are in town, I might have to swing it. . . .

Looks like they are OOT on 9/8, returning home to play Milwaukee (I'd say the Brewers but I've been accused too many times of turning a thread into a Ymm, Beer venue :p) in a series starting 9/10.

budwom
01-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Baylor impressed me as having some of the Briles talent that made them elite but being completely in disarray with the coaching change. Remember that they almost beat Oklahoma at home 2 weeks later. That's going to be a tough game even with a new coach.

We have tended to drop 1-2 home games we can win each year, but I also think UVA, Army, and Wake will take bigger steps back than expected after losing their QBs.

I'll take NCCU, Army, UVA, Wake, Baylor, and UNC as my 6 wins with the understanding we could trade NW, Pitt, and GT for any of the P5 games on that list. I'm having a really hard time seeing 7 before spring practice to be honest.

A lot of good points...I agree on Baylor, they have way more talent than their record would indicate, much due to internal disarray. Can they get organized? Dunno...

I think it will be another doable challenge to get to six wins...unless we develop more wide receivers I don't think things will be easy for us...and who knows about the playcalling?
Maybe the coaching shuffle will bear fruit...but right now we have a lot of questions at OL, WR, and special teams.

Bob Green
01-18-2018, 04:39 PM
I think it will be another doable challenge to get to six wins...unless we develop more wide receivers I don't think things will be easy for us...

With the talent we have at tight end I am in favor of frequently utilizing two TE formations. Daniel Helm, Davis Koppenhaver and Noah Gray are proven performers. Mark Birmingham and Jake Marwede have a ton of potential. Moreover, having a second TE in the game facilitates the running game.

TKG
01-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Be nice to see a different, honest, nearby Triangle university in that spot annually instead. :p

I would like to schedule Shaw as well.

Bob Green
01-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Taking a look at the complete ACC schedule reveals a few talking points:

1. Pitt has a bye week (Oct 20) before hosting Duke (Oct 27). They are the only team to have a bye week before playing Duke.
2. Georgia Tech plays on Friday night (Oct 5) before hosting Duke (Oct 13) so they get one extra day to prepare but Duke is coming off a bye week.
3. Virginia Tech plays at ODU (Sep 22) the week before traveling to Duke (Sep 29). That's almost a bye week.
4. Miami plays on Friday night (Oct 26) before hosting Duke (Nov 3) so one extra day to prepare.

OldPhiKap
01-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Taking a look at the complete ACC schedule reveals a few talking points:

1. Pitt has a bye week (Oct 20) before hosting Duke (Oct 27). They are the only team to have a bye week before playing Duke.
2. Georgia Tech plays on Friday night (Oct 5) before hosting Duke (Oct 13) so they get one extra day to prepare but Duke is coming off a bye week.
3. Virginia Tech plays at ODU (Sep 22) the week before traveling to Duke (Sep 29). That's almost a bye week.
4. Miami plays on Friday night (Oct 26) before hosting Duke (Nov 3) so one extra day to prepare.

Thanks, Bob. My thoughts:

1. I'll take giving Pitt an extra week for us so long as we have an extra week for GT. That has served us well in the past with that option.

2. VT and Miami are gonna be tough no matter what. I like that we play on Saturday every week. Keeps the rhythm and routine.

Gonna be a tough year but one we can manage if healthy. Bring it.

gotoguy
01-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Since Pitt joined the ACC in 2013 we've only defeated them once, an overtime 51-48 win in 2014. We've since lost three in a row. Would sure like to change that habit this year to go bowling.

Bob Green
01-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Here are the winning/losing streaks against all eight ACC opponents:

Virginia Tech - 2 losses (Duke won 45-43 in 2015)
Georgia Tech - 1 win
Virginia - 3 losses (Duke won 20-13 in 2014)
Pitt - 3 losses (Duke won 51-48 in 2014)
Miami - 4 losses (Duke won 48-30 in 2013)
Clemson - 4 losses (Duke won 16-13 in 2004)
Carolina - 2 wins
Wake Forest - 1 win

kmspeaks
01-19-2018, 04:19 PM

I found it interesting that this year Kirby Smart and the Georgia coaching staff said they spent a little bit of time working on triple option stuff the whole year and not just cramming it in the week before the Georgia Tech game. Of course for Georgia that's a rivalry game and one that's very important to win but I wonder if that's something other ACC teams might consider as a way to combat the uniqueness advantage Johnson's offense enjoys.