PDA

View Full Version : It's ok, but Bagleys shoulder.

gofurman
01-16-2018, 12:53 AM
Actually popped out v Miami. That scares me. That can be nothing or v tough - separated shoulder can be bad stuff

Appears he is ok. Were you all aware of this ?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22115079/marvin-bagley-iii-duke-blue-devils-fixes-shoulder-himself

uh_no
01-16-2018, 01:14 AM
Actually popped out v Miami. That scares me. That can be nothing or v tough - separated shoulder can be bad stuff

Appears he is ok. Were you all aware of this ?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22115079/marvin-bagley-iii-duke-blue-devils-fixes-shoulder-himself

sounds like a dislocation, not a separation. can be an issue if not popped back in correctly....but given that it went back in itself, sounds like it wasn't particularly egregious.

Glad he's okay.

BandAlum83
01-16-2018, 01:18 AM
The legend of Marvin Bagley III

uh_no
01-16-2018, 01:22 AM

will dislocate his shoulder so he can break your ankles.

bedeviled
01-16-2018, 02:21 AM
6'11' guy with moves so quick that not even his own arms can keep up with him

UrinalCake
01-16-2018, 04:37 AM
That explanation makes sense. On the replay it looked like he bumped into his defender with his upper body, but then he came away holding his wrist. Pretty awesome that he popped it back in himself.

DrChainsaw
01-16-2018, 06:52 AM
Didn't we have another player back in the 80's who dislocated his shoulder and it popped out again at an unfortunate time near the end of the season?

According to this Barry Jacobs article, it's pretty common on the Duke team. Think of all the vigils we could have....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article34077504.html

OZZIE4DUKE
01-16-2018, 07:09 AM
Didn't we have another player back in the 80's who dislocated his shoulder and it popped out again at an unfortunate time near the end of the season?

According to this Barry Jacobs article, it's pretty common on the Duke team. Think of all the vigils we could have...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article34077504.html
Chris Carrawell dislocated his shoulder while playing and the trainer/doctor popped it back in on the court. The groans from the crowd when it was pulled and popped back in were palpable. And we thought Nate was a badass!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Chris Carrawell dislocated his shoulder while playing and the trainer/doctor popped it back in on the court. The groans from the crowd when it was pulled and popped back in were palpable. And we thought Nate was a badass!

I seem to remember UNC's Scott Williams dislocating his shoulder multiple times during one Duke/UNC game. I always found him to be one of the more likeable Tar Heels.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2018, 07:16 AM
sounds like a dislocation, not a separation. can be an issue if not popped back in correctly...but given that it went back in itself, sounds like it wasn't particularly egregious.

Glad he's okay.

I hear that Nate stared the shoulder down, and the shoulder got back in line by itself.

Hope Marvin is none the worse for wear.

DukeDevil
01-16-2018, 07:38 AM
These can be as minor as a quick pop back and then close monitoring and extra exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles to help prevent that again, or as severe as rotator cuff injuries/tendonous tears/muscular tears/labral tears. Those all vary in severity in terms of how fully they tore/didn't tear/long term consequences. The good news is, if they popped it back and he was able to continue to play and, importantly, lift his arms above his head then it's unlikely anything significant was injured. I'm sure they'll have the sports med docs and rehab people focusing on shoulder strengthening exercises though.

Having had a bad shoulder dislocation (personal aside, I was skiing and on a mountain when it came out with a fall, and I had to pull it back into place and ski down the mountain with only one arm working and holding both poles in my left hand...Nate would have approved) I IMMEDIATELY knew there was a problem, as even when it was back in, I could barely move it. Lifting it above shoulder level was essentially impossible, and it turned out I had a bad labral tear. The fact that Bagley was able to get right back into the game a couple of minutes later is a very very good sign.

sagegrouse
01-16-2018, 08:09 AM
I seem to remember UNC's Scott Williams dislocating his shoulder multiple times during one Duke/UNC game. I always found him to be one of the more likeable Tar Heels.

Well, Scott Williams went to the floor with cramps three times in one game in the ACC finals against Duke in 1989. Fans started yelling "TKO, TKO."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-16-2018, 08:17 AM
Well, Scott Williams went to the floor with cramps three times in one game in the ACC finals against Duke in 1989. Fans started yelling "TKO, TKO."

I know we all enjoy making fun of Tar Heels (and rightly so) but if you read any articles about Scott Williams personal life and chronic shoulder problems, it is hard not to admire the path he walked.

My grandmother chatted with him on an airplane to Portland once and declared him a "nice young man." Good enough for me.

brevity
01-16-2018, 08:37 AM

The 80’s? You might be thinking of Lethal Weapon.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Igrdi_lhhW4

I would embed the video, but I’m getting too old for this. (Guitar riff)

OldPhiKap
01-16-2018, 09:02 AM

If that was the game in the Omni, it's also the game where Dean barked at K to "stop yelling at my players" and K responded "F U, Dean" from the coach's box.

Good times. Wish Danny Ferry's shot at the end went in.

Atldukie79
01-16-2018, 09:12 AM
So Marvin's right shoulder popped out...it is a good thing he is left handed...no wait, it does matter....he is "amphibious"!

weezie
01-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Absolutely I was concerned. And even if it's ok, it's sore as he-hockey sticks today. Plus, now it's a target. And, since refs seem blithely uninterested in upper body hacking that our bigs are subjected to, it may well become more of an issue gong forward.
He looked muted after the locker room visit.

Boy, I love him. Quiet, unassuming, calm. An absolute breath of fresh air on the basketball landscape.

MChambers
01-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Absolutely I was concerned. And even if it's ok, it's sore as he-hockey sticks today. Plus, now it's a target. And, since refs seem blithely uninterested in upper body hacking that our bigs are subjected to, it may well become more of an issue gong forward.

Boy, I love him. Quiet, unassuming, calm. An absolute breath of fresh air on the basketball landscape.

Marvin's demeanor on the court is great. Never seems angry, despite the pounding.

left_hook_lacey
01-16-2018, 11:13 AM

Dammit. Beat me to it.

TKG
01-16-2018, 11:19 AM
I seem to remember UNC's Scott Williams dislocating his shoulder multiple times .....

Well, it sure wasn't from toting text books around campus!

FerryFor50
01-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Looks like Bagley's new nickname is Lethal Weapon, then.

Or maybe even Lethal Weapon, III.

DrChainsaw
01-16-2018, 11:50 AM

I had thought it was Robert Brickey and found some reference to a shoulder injury during a UNC game in 1989 online. There wasn't much detail, but I think he tried to come back, but wasn't the same for the rest of the game. With an injury like that, I could see how fear of it happening again could be as limiting as any associated pain....

trinity92
01-16-2018, 11:51 AM
That explanation makes sense. On the replay it looked like he bumped into his defender with his upper body, but then he came away holding his wrist. Pretty awesome that he popped it back in himself.

From unfortunate personal experience I can vouch that you hold your wrist on the hurt shoulder's arm because you feel you'll leave the arm on the ground when you get up and need to help carry the arm. Not fun. The fact that he was able to continue to play is both encouraging and amazing. This knowledge makes the rest of Marvin's game make so much more sense. There was no way he could be as aggressive and confident going up for shots and initiating contact with that injury in the back of his mind.

Olympic Fan
01-16-2018, 01:00 PM
As long as we're recalling separated shoulders, anybody else remember Mike Curtis against UNC in the mid-60s?

Late in the game, he dislocated his shoulder. He didn't come out of the game. Since it was near the goal line, Curtis went to the goalpost and started slamming his shoulder into the upright, finally forcing the bone back into the socket.

I know it's football ... but still ...

dukelifer
01-16-2018, 01:08 PM
I had thought it was Robert Brickey and found some reference to a shoulder injury during a UNC game in 1989 online. There wasn't much detail, but I think he tried to come back, but wasn't the same for the rest of the game. With an injury like that, I could see how fear of it happening again could be as limiting as any associated pain...

Patrick Davidson once popped both shoulders- jumped to the rim- hung upside down, got Shelden Williams and Josh McRoberts to pull his arms until the shoulders went back in place. He then dunked on the next play. Amazing.

jimsumner
01-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Carrawell had chronic shoulder issues, going back to high school. He had surgery on both. He was a top-10 recruit as a junior but dropped to about 40 as a senior and missed making the McDonald's team due to missed games related to his shoulder problems.

gofurman
01-16-2018, 02:10 PM

very much a concern for me as a crazy fan. Worried

-jk
01-16-2018, 04:17 PM

'80's? Wasn't that Kevin Strickland?

-jk