PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. Miami (Jan 15, 2018)

JBDuke
01-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's win over Miami tonight?

Les Grossman
01-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Jr.!

MCFinARL
01-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Would have voted for Wendell Carter until Trent had that crucial stretch in the second half. Both were key tonight.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Carter gets my vote. In any non-MB3 year, he would be getting so many accolades from fans and the media.

DU82
01-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Carter kept us in the game for a long time, plus some big defensive plays. 1-A to Trent (ask me later, I might switch my vote.)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Was going to vote for Wendell until Gary saved our bacon! Trent got my vote tonight. LGD GTHc 9F!

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Wendell kept us in the hunt. Gary sealed the deal. Great combo. Impossible really to choose one over the other so I picked Wendell b/c he was listed first.

dukelifer
01-15-2018, 09:46 PM
Trent's 3 was the defibrillator. This team was flatlining and he got them back to life. He thus gets my vote. After that a number of guys made key contributions. Carter was big tonight throughout.

Native
01-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Gary saved our bacon tonight.

kAzE
01-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Gary was the only consistent guy on offense tonight, but Wendell's defense during the run was just as huge. His ability to defend in the paint without fouling was the biggest difference in the game IMO. They went at him over and over in the 2nd half, but he did an incredible job defending. It was the reason we were able to play the last 13 minutes with all of our starters. But obviously still, huge, huge game for Gary. Those 2 guys carried us.

BandAlum83
01-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Wendell was a man tonight. I don't care what the stats say, I swear he had a triple double. I think he blocked 17 shots tonight. At least it seemed like it. He was everywhere.

DukieInBrasil
01-15-2018, 10:07 PM
It was tough to choose, but i went with Carter because of the 4 blocks, 2 steals, 14 rebounds, and 3 assists, in addition to the 15 points. He did everything.
Gary was awesome too.

devildeac
01-15-2018, 10:34 PM
I'm voting for Junior. Both of them. :o

drummerdevil
01-16-2018, 06:52 AM
Is this the first time Bagley gets no votes all year?

DukieInBrasil
01-16-2018, 07:05 AM

He really shouldn't. Carter did everything Bagley did, stat-wise, but did it better. Although credited with only 1 turnover, Bagley made multiple terrible passes. After his early injury, Bagley seemed much less motorized than he usually does.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2018, 07:14 AM
Carter with the game-long body blows. Trent with the flurry of head shots to finish ‘em off.

Can’t decide. Great game by both!

kAzE
01-16-2018, 10:30 AM

And yet, if it was Javin DeLaurier or Bolden putting up that exact same stat line instead of Bagley, he would have gotten a bunch of "feel good" votes.

jv001
01-16-2018, 10:34 AM
He really shouldn't. Carter did everything Bagley did, stat-wise, but did it better. Although credited with only 1 turnover, Bagley made multiple terrible passes. After his early injury, Bagley seemed much less motorized than he usually does.

It seems to me that Wendell can take the punishment better than Marvin, Jr. But he's a physical player while Marvin is a fluid type player. I'm happy we have both of them. By the way, I voted for Trent but could have easily have voter for Wendell. GoDuke!

kako
01-16-2018, 11:59 AM
https://twitter.com/Carnage45/status/953091029586137088/video/1

I voted Carter, because I just love this block. IMHO it's in the same conversation as JD on Rivers and Battier against Maryland in the 54 seconds game. Not the most visually spectacular - not like it went into the upper deck - but he just *ELIMINATED* the shot in a key moment against a 6-11 guy.

Carter still needs to work on his team interior D, but he's a shot blocking monster. I think if he stayed 4 years, he'd beat out The Landlord for the blocks record... maybe even in 3. Of course, that won't happen.

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2018, 01:52 PM
I'm curious about the reasoning behind the Allen/Duval votes. Especially Grayson's.

Doria
01-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Tough call. I voted for Gary, but if I could have, I’d have voted for Wendell, too. It’s very encouraging to me that he was able to do all that he did—against Miami’s traditional... uh, physical play—without fouling. He’s had some issues in that area, as freshman big men are wont to have, but this shows progress from the hard work he undoubtedly is putting in.

Honestly, I though Duval had a pretty good overall game, as well. Not sure if it’d show up on the stats, but he’s a tough player all the way, even with some iffy (and, okay, some bad) decisions. He doesn’t give up. Those rebounded free throws at the end are a decent good encapsulation of his game; I wish they’d gone in the first time, but he made something out of the misses, somehow, and it ended up pretty well!

rsvman
01-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Carter.

Trent was awesome shooting the ball, especially in that important stretch, but I thought that Carter was solid all game long.

Truth&Justise
01-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Is there a thread anywhere that tracks the winners of MOTM for the season?

Doria
01-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Is there a thread anywhere that tracks the winners of MOTM for the season?

I don’t think so, or I’ve never seen it. But that would be cool.

Can we get one? Don’t know if it could automate, somehow, or someone could manually do it. I can later in the week, if no one else has time (I’ve gotta work this afternoon, sadly, or I’d start today).

-jk
01-16-2018, 04:20 PM
I don’t think so, or I’ve never seen it. But that would be cool.

Can we get one? Don’t know if it could automate, somehow, or someone could manually do it. I can later in the week, if no one else has time (I’ve gotta work this afternoon, sadly, or I’d start today).

Can't do it automatically, so someone'll have to take it on. (And provide appropriate links so folks can s̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶ confirm the data.)

-jk

JasonEvans
01-16-2018, 05:58 PM
Bagley with 0 votes... aside from the injured Mich St game, has he gotten 0 votes for any other game this season?

flyingdutchdevil
01-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Bagley with 0 votes... aside from the injured Mich St game, has he gotten 0 votes for any other game this season?

Guarantee you just jinxed it. Someone will vote for Bags.

DU82
01-16-2018, 07:50 PM
I'm curious about the reasoning behind the Allen/Duval votes. Especially Grayson's.

I didn't vote for him, but Grayson made perhaps the two key plays of the game; the steal and pass at the end of the first half, and the steal and dunk in the second to bring us close.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-17-2018, 04:38 AM

Allen had several great hustle plays at crucial moments when shots weren't falling. Duval had 17pts and 8 assists, including that insane sequence in the last minute where he missed the front end of a one-and-one TWICE but got his own rebound, finishing the sequence with an unlikely circus layup extending our lead to eight with fifty seconds to go, effectively sealing the deal.

I didn't vote for either of them, but they were crucial to the win.

elvis14
01-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Allen had several great hustle plays at crucial moments when shots weren't falling. Duval had 17pts and 8 assists, including that insane sequence in the last minute where he missed the front end of a one-and-one TWICE but got his own rebound, finishing the sequence with an unlikely circus layup extending our lead to eight with fifty seconds to go, effectively sealing the deal.

I didn't vote for either of them, but they were crucial to the win.

I was very happy that we got very lucky and had those rebounds come straight back to TD but missing the front end of 2 one-and-one's at the end of a close game is a huge screw up. I was watching the game with a friend and we were both yelling for TD to pass the ball to someone that could shoot. Point being, having plays that start with multiple misses like that aren't what I'd call a positive for TD, at best it's breaking even. I'm not just ragging on TD here. He had a very bi-polar game. I've seen multiple posters mention these as positive plays....I just can't consider 2 missed o-a-o FT's a positive.

dukelifer
01-17-2018, 10:05 AM
I was very happy that we got very lucky and had those rebounds come straight back to TD but missing the front end of 2 one-and-one's at the end of a close game is a huge screw up. I was watching the game with a friend and we were both yelling for TD to pass the ball to someone that could shoot. Point being, having plays that start with multiple misses like that aren't what I'd call a positive for TD, at best it's breaking even. I'm not just ragging on TD here. He had a very bi-polar game. I've seen multiple posters mention these as positive plays...I just can't consider 2 missed o-a-o FT's a positive.
No luck- if you read Coach K’s lips he said miss- TD mustered his inner Zoubek. K knows he will need this later in the year. TD pulled it off not once but twice. If I were coaching another team I would not foul him at the end of the game. He is the master of the miss and the self rebound.

camion
01-17-2018, 10:09 AM
No luck- if you read Coach K’s lips he said miss- TD mustered his inner Zoubek. K knows he will need this later in the year. TD pulled it off not once but twice. If I were coaching another team I would not foul him at the end of the game. He is the master of the miss and the self rebound.

:confused: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-17-2018, 10:20 AM
I was very happy that we got very lucky and had those rebounds come straight back to TD but missing the front end of 2 one-and-one's at the end of a close game is a huge screw up. I was watching the game with a friend and we were both yelling for TD to pass the ball to someone that could shoot. Point being, having plays that start with multiple misses like that aren't what I'd call a positive for TD, at best it's breaking even. I'm not just ragging on TD here. He had a very bi-polar game. I've seen multiple posters mention these as positive plays...I just can't consider 2 missed o-a-o FT's a positive.

The misses are screw ups, the rebounds are atonements. 17 pts 8 assists is a good line.

The question was asked "why would anyone choose Duval?" I didn't choose him, I just defended the choice.

elvis14
01-17-2018, 10:37 AM
The misses are screw ups, the rebounds are atonements. 17 pts 8 assists is a good line.

The question was asked "why would anyone choose Duval?" I didn't choose him, I just defended the choice.

I'm good with Duval. His 17 and 8 were needed. I replied to your post but tried to be clear that I had seen multiple people point out that these rebounds and subsequent plays were examples of why Duval had a good game. Duval did have a good game, although a bit bi-polar. My issue is with people using missing the front end of 2 one-and-ones as and example of something positive. If we are going to point out the things Duval did well in this game, there are lots of things to list that don't involve those missed FT's.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-17-2018, 11:07 AM
I'm good with Duval. His 17 and 8 were needed. I replied to your post but tried to be clear that I had seen multiple people point out that these rebounds and subsequent plays were examples of why Duval had a good game. Duval did have a good game, although a bit bi-polar. My issue is with people using missing the front end of 2 one-and-ones as and example of something positive. If we are going to point out the things Duval did well in this game, there are lots of things to list that don't involve those missed FT's.

Yes, but... Getting those rebounds is HUGE. May have saved the game for us. Obviously, the missed FTs are a negative, but the rebounds make up for them.

gotoguy
01-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Nearly a tossup but I played ball with my back to the basket so my vote goes to my fellow Atlantan, WC

flyingdutchdevil
01-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Nearly a tossup but I played ball with my back to the basket so my vote goes to my fellow Atlantan, WC

Not targeting you specifically, gotoguy, but can we please stop calling Wendell Carter, "WC"? To me, those initials are synonymous with taking a leak or...you know...

dukelifer
01-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Bagley has set a high bar for himself. He needs to get 40 and 30 before I will give him MOTM. The scary thing is that he might do this.

jv001
01-17-2018, 12:45 PM
There are many great things about our voting on MOTM and I enjoy those things. However there is one thing that I don't like and that's we sometimes feel the need to defend our votes and that leads to posting negative things about the Duke players. Why can't we just say why we voted for our choice and leave it at that. I've been guilty of adding something like; I would have voted for so and so, but I didn't because they didn't comb their hari right or they played with their shirt hanging out too may times. Of course I'm joking but you get my drift. I hate to see our players get bashed or even talked about in a negative way. When someone points out that Grayson's shot is off, that's a fact, but to say his scoring is useless or that Duval plays out of control just seems over the top. GoDuke!

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2018, 01:21 PM
I would have voted for so and so, but I didn't because they didn't comb their hari right

It's an acquired skill.

dukelifer
01-17-2018, 01:34 PM
There are many great things about our voting on MOTM and I enjoy those things. However there is one thing that I don't like and that's we sometimes feel the need to defend our votes and that leads to posting negative things about the Duke players. Why can't we just say why we voted for our choice and leave it at that. I've been guilty of adding something like; I would have voted for so and so, but I didn't because they didn't comb their hari right or they played with their shirt hanging out too may times. Of course I'm joking but you get my drift. I hate to see our players get bashed or even talked about in a negative way. When someone points out that Grayson's shot is off, that's a fact, but to say his scoring is useless or that Duval plays out of control just seems over the top. GoDuke!

Luke combed his hair right- it was just that he kept messing with it.

BandAlum83
01-18-2018, 04:24 AM

If you are thinking of me, since I first brought it up, I raised it as a negative for Miami by asking how could they allow him to rebound the ball twice in a row.