PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, DBR, from your long, lost Klemnop

Klemnop
01-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Howdy, everyone. It’s been a while.

The eve of yet another Clemson @ UNC game got me thinking about all my good times as a semi-regular contributor to DBR. I am pleased (and somewhat amazed) to see so many of the Usual Suspects still keeping this place as vibrant as ever.

Because I can clearly recall the workstation where I sat when I first joined DBR I can tell you it’s been nearly 20 years since that first, fateful message - which essentially launched a new era in my life of internet message board reading and posting. (I fondly remember needing an explanation from seasoned posters as to what the heck the ubiquitous “lol” meant.). That was the fall of 1999.

Thinking about posting has me nostalgic for what has happened in those 20 years.
My son, following in his dad’s footsteps, graduated from Clemson this past August. He was four (4) years old when I first started posting here. I could only hope, then, that he’d become the fine Clemson Man he’s become - though he never developed the love of Clemson Hoops I did.
My first daughter, two (2) years old then, has likewise followed in her mother’s footsteps, now enjoying her third year at Stanford as an Earth Systems major. She is determined to save the world...and if we’re all lucky she just might do it. One degree of ocean salinity at a time (or something like that.)
My last daughter wasn’t even a thought in 1999. (I argued we should have called her “Merlot”, but my wife didn’t think that was as clever as I did at the time, thankfully.) She’s now a Senior in HS and has already accepted and confirmed her spot in the Reed College incoming Freshman class of 2018.

I achieved some level of notoriety in DBR lore for my “promise”. I never grow tired of recanting the tale:

In the Spring of 1989 I attended my first ever Clemson at UNC game (my best friend from HS was attending UNC...a friendship that has maintained and grown ever since then.) I was such a foolish young man, then. I harbored some hope that my beloved Tigers could win against anyone, anywhere. Such were the heady days of 1989 and ‘90. We lost that day (badly) to a team led by King Rice, Rick Fox and a slew of others. I walked away devastated.

I returned in 1990. More confident than ever. 1990! What a year! What a team. Elden Campbell, Dale Davis, Marion Cash, Sean Tyson...and the King of Junk Defenses, Cliff Ellis, calling the shots. That team won the ACC Regular Season, eclipsing Fire and Ice, Lethal Weapon 3, Hurley/Laettner, Bryant Stith and the rest of those (mostly) great ACC teams I remember by heart. And we did beat UNC in Littlejohn that year. But, once again, we were baldy demoralized in the Dean Dome.

In the moments walking away from the arena, up a steep hill toward the UNC dorms, I looked back and paused. In a prescient moment I said to my friend, “We’ll never win there.” At the time the streak must have been 35 or 40 games long. My friend, as all goods friends would, tried to console me. But I was young and angry and hurt.

“No, never. It’s never going to happen. Never.”

“In fact, I’m so sure, I promise if it ever should happen I’ll run to the front of the Planetarium (that’s right there on Franklin Street, for those that need a little Chapel Hill geography), I’ll strip naked and dangle myself from the statue there.”

Having not a million dollars (or anything else worth promising) that was, in the moment, the most fantastic thing I could think to offer.
In 1991 I returned to Chapel Hill, ready as ever to disrobe. And 1992. And 1993. After a while life intervened and I stopped making the trip to Chapel Hill. But I always tried to stay in shouting distance on the day of the game, just in case.

But the 90’s turned into the 2000’s. And the 2000’s turned into the 20-teens. And here we are, heading into the 59th game in Chapel Hill for Clemson. My dignity fully in tact.

Some years ago I posted here on DBR that I’m not sure I want the streak to end. There’s something interesting about “never”. And I’m not sure the joy of one moment will fill the hole that would be created by becoming a 1-fer. In a lot of ways I’ve stopped caring very much (which is another essay I may yet write about my hate-don’t care relationship with Brad Brownell). But I do care about my history and the outcome of this game continues to evolve me, year over year, in a way I can’t quite put my finger on.

I’ll be in Middletown, CT on Tuesday night. Far, far from Chapel Hill. There wouldn’t be any dangling on my part in Chapel Hill should the unthinkable transpire. That makes me a little bit sad. And then I remind myself that the fundamental premise of “the promise” is that it will never happen. Never.

A shout-out to DBR. This community was a formative part of my life and I have always enjoyed thinking back on my time here. I hope this finds you well. From the looks of things, it is same as it ever was.

Regards,

Klemnop

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Warm regards and good luck against UNC.

OldPhiKap
01-15-2018, 07:47 PM
This is the year. Break the CH curse.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-15-2018, 08:02 PM
As always, I’ll contribute to your bail when it happens! LGD GTHc! 9F!

MChambers
01-15-2018, 08:59 PM
We all believe this is the year!

carteretdevil
01-15-2018, 09:09 PM
What a great story. Love the thought about "never". Hope this year starts the beginning of a streak of Clemson never losing at UNLV-CH.

summerwind03
01-15-2018, 09:15 PM
I was just discussing "the streak" and your promise "to streak" with my son this evening. Oddly, he didn't even know what streaking meant! Thanks for checking in and here's hoping to a new streak starts tomorrow!

bedeviled
01-15-2018, 09:29 PM
A shout-out to DBR. This community was a formative part of my life and I have always enjoyed thinking back on my time hereSome posters are lost for reasons we know (eg Cavlaw) and some just drift away (eg Greybeard); it's nice to see you checking in. Regardless, the stories live on even when the people have left. Your bet remains a part of my anticipation of every Clemson @ UNC game...so much so that I actually felt bummed when you said you won't be around for it! So, this year, I think I'll cheer for UNC so I, too, can continue holding onto the dream

weezie
01-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Oh my. I'm strongly on your side Klemmie but this whole streaking thing, hhmm, well...

Just win, please. That's all you need to do, no matter what.

Olympic Fan
01-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Trying to remember when Clemson came close in Chapel Hill ...

The one that pops into my mind was 2008. Clemson led almost the whole way and was up 11 with 3:13 to play. The Cheats outscored them 14-3 down the stretch to force OT.

Hanstravel scored 13 of his 39 points in the OTs to help the Cheats survive 103-93 in 2 OTs.

There was also a game around 1975 or 76 when Vann Gregg was called for a bogus travel as he tried to set up the winning shot in Carmichael.

The fact is that while Clemson has never won in Chapel Hill, they've almost never won in the Triangle -- they are 4-59 in Cameron and almost as bad in Raleigh (don't have those numbers in from of me).

duke2x
01-15-2018, 09:36 PM
This is the best team Clemson has had in a while. This is a very beatable UNC team. I'm still too chicken to call it, but all of us will be bleeding solid orange for a day.
C * L * E * M * S * OOOOO * N!

Native
01-15-2018, 09:36 PM
This is the year. Have faith.

brlftz
01-15-2018, 10:26 PM
That CANNOT be twenty years ago, good grief!

JBDuke
01-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Glad to see you back on DBR, Klemnop! Your team is having a great year, and we'd love to hear more from your perspective about Brownell and this version of the Tigers. Your contributions here have been missed during your absence.

And as for Tuesday, we'll all be pulling for your guys, even if you can't make good on the promise.

ipatent
01-15-2018, 10:33 PM
Clemson should have won that time in Chapel Hill when they had Booker, but the whistles started blowing and you know what happened. I call it getting Clemsoned when UNC has a ridiculous FT disparity in a close game.

duketaylor
01-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Klemnop should still do IT if Klemson wins, just plan it so that we can bail him out quickly. I'm in to help. Needs to happen, both Klemson winning and the streak!!!:D

ehdg
01-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Klemnop been a while n you’ve been missed sir. We keep pulling for y’all n really hope one of these days y’all stick it to the cheaters! Your having a good football run of late too.

Klemnop
01-15-2018, 11:15 PM
I should clarify, I like to recount the story. I have no intention to recant it.

I hope I can blame that one on auto-correct.

Rich
01-15-2018, 11:21 PM
Why not pull up a chair and stay awhile?

DukieInKansas
01-16-2018, 12:06 AM
Good to hear from you, Klemnop.

I will be pulling for Clemson - for Klemnop and for Nephew Alex. He is turning me into a Clemson fan - I even have an official Clemson sweatshirt. I would like to see a new streak started - Clemson beating unc regularly.

elvis14
01-16-2018, 01:19 AM
Clemson should have won that time in Chapel Hill when they had Booker, but the whistles started blowing and you know what happened. I call it getting Clemsoned when UNC has a ridiculous FT disparity in a close game.

I don't believe for a second that Clemson will be given a fair chance to win this game. All you have to do is take a look at the end of the Cheat/ND game. Clemson would have to blow out the cheaters before the whistles start to blow and hope the cheaters miss their gifted FT's.

TruBlu
01-16-2018, 06:18 AM
Swofford is desperately trying to find another Lenny Wertz to ref in tonight’s game. Rarely did unc lose if Lenny was in the building.

I will be driving down I-85 by Clemson this afternoon, and plan on stopping to get a Clemson shirt for tonight’s game.

GO CLEMSON!!! (Offer valid one night only.)

OldPhiKap
01-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Ich bin ein Clemsoner.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-16-2018, 09:46 AM
We are all rooting for you in Chapel Hill. And should things not work out there, hopefully later this week you will receive good news from Zion, who could help you break the streak next year.

freshmanjs
01-16-2018, 10:03 AM
We are all rooting for you in Chapel Hill. And should things not work out there, hopefully later this week you will receive good news from Zion, who could help you break the streak next year.

Is Clemson playing at UNC next year?

devildeac
01-16-2018, 10:15 AM
I don't believe for a second that Clemson will be given a fair chance to win this game. All you have to do is take a look at the end of the Cheat/ND game. Clemson would have to blow out the cheaters before the whistles start to blow and hope the cheaters miss their gifted FT's.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they still aren't out to get you."

Rick Barnes, 1994-98

(among others)

(fake quote)

ricks68
01-16-2018, 10:28 AM
A hearty "Welcome Back!", Klemnop. Really been missing you around here. Hope you stick around.

ricks

left_hook_lacey
01-16-2018, 11:27 AM
The Boston Red Sox
The Cleveland Cavs
The Chicago Cubs

Curses aren't what they used to be. They've been lifting in record numbers lately. Time to add one more broken curse to the list. Your time is nigh.

jacone21
01-16-2018, 11:32 AM
H
“In fact, I’m so sure, I promise if it ever should happen I’ll run to the front of the Planetarium (that’s right there on Franklin Street, for those that need a little Chapel Hill geography), I’ll strip naked and dangle myself from the statue there.”

Alls I know is if Clemson wins, there better be some dangling somewhere! A promise is a promise!

rsvman
01-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Didn't they come close two years ago? My memory could be off.
For what it's worth, I say they pull it off tonight.

devildeac
01-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Didn't they come close two years ago? My memory could be off.
For what it's worth, I say they pull it off tonight.

swofford has arranged otherwise. :rolleyes:

Neals384
01-16-2018, 01:16 PM
Alls I know is if Clemson wins, there better be some dangling somewhere! A promise is a promise!

This. And be sure there is video to post here, klemmie.

Rock-of-Truth
01-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Ich bin ein Clemsoner.

MMmmmmm, Jelly Donuts.

Selover
01-16-2018, 02:54 PM
The Boston Red Sox
The Cleveland Cavs
The Chicago Cubs

Curses aren't what they used to be. They've been lifting in record numbers lately. Time to add one more broken curse to the list. Your time is nigh.

I think the Browns are next!

OldPhiKap
01-16-2018, 02:56 PM
MMmmmmm, Jelly Donuts.

But they will be orange. Bright, bright orange.

mpj96
01-16-2018, 03:21 PM
I believe. Tonight is the night the streak ends.

left_hook_lacey
01-16-2018, 03:25 PM
I think the Browns are next!

I'm not sure God himself could break that curse. :)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-16-2018, 09:57 PM
As always, I’ll contribute to your bail when it happens! LGD GTHc! 9F!
Once again, my money is safe. :( LGD GTHc!

duketaylor
01-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Not happy tonight about this outcome! I was very willing to bail someone out and enjoy the process!!

Ruined my night, sorry Klem!!

moonpie23
01-16-2018, 10:15 PM
was that tyler hansbrough on the floor?.........regardless, i'm sure they blamed gerald henderson...

weezie
01-16-2018, 10:24 PM
And our friend Klemmie disappears back into the mists hoping to return someday...

burnspbesq
01-16-2018, 10:47 PM
Dang. When Clemson cut the lead to three, I allowed myself to hope. For about six seconds, until they lost track of Maye and he buried the dagger.

duke2x
01-16-2018, 10:50 PM
Is Clemson playing at UNC next year?

The normal ACC rotation would have Clemson @UNC only next year, BUT the ACC has to expand to 20 games. "Surprise" changes are coming. Count on UNC @ Clemson for the third year in a row along with 2 games v. Pitt and 2-3 other of the rotating bottom feeders. If Clemson gets Zion Williamson, the chances of no game in Chapel Hill go up exponentially. The 2019 ACC schedule is unannounced, but the rest of those predictions are for another thread.

Clemson losing in Chapel Hill is the only streak that UNC has left after 8-20 2002. It's worth much more to UNC than they will ever admit. ESPN already had 2-3 tweets about it.

throatybeard
01-17-2018, 06:47 PM
They should hang a banner.

Newton_14
01-17-2018, 07:02 PM
They should hang a banner.
They probably did...

Klemnop
01-21-2018, 11:17 AM
And our friend Klemmie disappears back into the mists hoping to return someday...

Monday: Klemnop, feeling renewed enthusiasm for hoops, posts on DBR

Tuesday: UNC toys with Clemson, as usual

Saturday afternoon: Clemson’s best player tears ACL effectively ending any chance of a meaningful end to the season

Saturday evening: Top recruit “shocks the world” by picking Duke over Clemson

Sunday AM: Klemnop flogs self for tempting the Weaux Gods by having posted on DBR in the first place. What a horrific week.

Congrats on getting Zion. We see the same dynamic in how Dabo attracts the top football players to Clemson so I can’t begrudge when basketball players do the same. It sucks for the also-rans, but I get it now.

I’m going to go crawl back into my miserable little hole, now. See you guys again in a few years.

moonpie23
01-21-2018, 11:20 AM
please don't go.....we like you :)

chrishoke
01-21-2018, 11:24 AM

Saturday afternoon: Clemson’s best player tears ACL effectively ending any chance of a meaningful end to the season

Sunday AM: Klemnop flogs self for tempting the Weaux Gods by having posted on in the first place. What a horrific week.

Congrats on getting Zion. We see the same dynamic in how Dabo attracts the top football players to Clemson so I can’t begrudge when basketball players do the same. It sucks for the also-rans, but I get it now.

I’m going to go crawl back into my miserable little hole, now. See you guys again in a few years.

Holy crap. As a long time Duke football fan, I think I know how you feel. Just brutal.

MChambers
01-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Saturday afternoon: Clemson’s best player tears ACL effectively ending any chance of a meaningful end to the season.

Grantham tore his ACL? I hadn't seen any news on the severity of the injury. That's terrible news.

devildeac
01-21-2018, 12:44 PM

Sunday AM: Klemnop flogs self for tempting the Weaux Gods by having posted on DBR in the first place. What a horrific week.

Plus, reports from other posters here have spoken highly about how folks on the Clemson boards reacted to the news, unlike a couple other unsavory fan bases.

Good to have you visit. We've missed you.

Klemnop
01-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Grantham tore his ACL? I hadn't seen any news on the severity of the injury. That's terrible news.
Confirmed by MRI this morning. Grantham has a torn ACL. His season and Clemson career are finished.

MChambers
01-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Confirmed by MRI this morning. Grantham has a torn ACL. His season and Clemson career are finished.

What terrible news for the young man. Very sorry to hear it.

moonpie23
01-21-2018, 03:22 PM

what a bummer.......sorry to hear that....

DukieInKansas
01-21-2018, 03:54 PM

That really stinks!

Although I'm glad Williamson picked Duke, I would have liked to see him pick Clemson over the others on his list.

richardjackson199
01-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Hope you stick around Klemnop and I'm sorry. This news about Grantham's ACL is just awful and awful timing.

I posted this in ACC thread -What an awful week and day for Clemson. I think many of us would have been happy for Clemson to win Zion. I mean we're ecstatic with the shocking announcement for us, but it just sucks for Clemson and I feel for them.

I'll keep cheering for your Tigers in football. I mean I love Duke football and will always cheer for us first. But Clemson is on a different level, I love Dabo, and hope to see them dominate the SEC.