PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 1/15-1/21

pfrduke
01-15-2018, 03:46 PM
After a big cluster around the middle last week, we can already see some top/bottom separation now: 8 teams at or above .500, pretty much all who you'd expect (and Georgia Tech); 7 teams below, again pretty much all who you'd expect (except maybe FSU and VT). Lots of matchups among that top group this week - plus our now not quite annual chance to see whether the ACC's longest streak of futility can finally end (go Tigers!).

Monday
[30]Miami (2-2) (+2) hosts [4]Duke (3-2) (7:00, ESPN)
[79]Boston College (2-3) (+4) hosts [28]Florida State (2-3) (7:00, ESPNU)

Tuesday
[9]North Carolina (3-2) (-6) hosts [15]Clemson (4-1) (7:00, ACCNE)
[22]Notre Dame (3-2) (-5) hosts [33]Louisville (3-1) (7:00, ESPN2)
[46]Syracuse (1-4) (-15) hosts [202]Pittsburgh (0-5) (9:00, ACCNE)

Wednesday is dark

Thursday
[102]Georgia Tech (3-1) (+10) hosts [3]Virginia (5-0) (8:00, ACCNE)
[65]NC State (2-3) (-5) hosts [84]Wake Forest (1-4) (8:00, ACCNE)

Friday is dark

Saturday
[48]Virginia Tech (2-3) (-1) hosts [28]Florida State (2-3) (12:00, ESPN2)
[9]North Carolina (3-2) (-15) hosts [102]Georgia Tech (3-1) (2:00)
[4]Duke (3-2) (-25) hosts [202]Pittsburgh (0-5) (4:00, ACCNE)
[15]Clemson (4-1) (-5) hosts [22]Notre Dame (3-2) (4:00, ESPN)

Sunday
[65]NC State (2-3) (+2) hosts [30]Miami (2-2) (12:00, ACCNE)
[33]Louisville (3-1) (-9) hosts [79]Boston College (2-3) (12:00, ACCNE)
[84]Wake Forest (1-4) (+9) hosts [3]Virginia (5-0) (6:00, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 151-38
ACC v. Power 6: 29-21

Olympic Fan
01-15-2018, 04:04 PM
ACC home teams are now 27-9 in conference play ... that's 75.0 percent, which matches the all-time ACC record, set in 1980. Home teams have been over 70 percent just once since then (73.6 in 2003).

Overall, home teams are at 63.3 percent in ACC play over the years. It's early, but this is looking like a historic year for home teams.

Note: Just think where we'd be without Pitt (0-3 at home)!

Olympic Fan
01-15-2018, 04:12 PM
I forgot to add ... this could be the most significant week for Clemson basketball since Larry Nance led the 1980 Tigers to the NCAA Elite Eight.

First, on Tuesday, they have a chance to end their long futility in Chapel Hill ...

Then, on Saturday, they have a chance to land the highest rated recruit in Clemson history.

Now, unlikely both events go their way, but if it happens, what a week for the Tigers!

CDu
01-15-2018, 04:13 PM
I forgot to add ... this could be the most significant week for Clemson basketball since Larry Nance led the 1980 Tigers to the NCAA Elite Eight.

First, on Tuesday, they have a chance to end their long futility in Chapel Hill ...

Then, on Saturday, they have a chance to land the highest rated recruit in Clemson history.

Now, unlikely both events go their way, but if it happens, what a week for the Tigers!

Cheering wildly for Tiger Tuesday! And I'd be fine with Williamson choosing Clemson too.

devildeac
01-15-2018, 04:34 PM

LOL. IIRC, they even lost there during the 8-20 D'oh season, so, I hold out no hope for a Clemson win at the dump this week either. (But, I'd be ecstatic if proven wrong.)

Olympic Fan
01-15-2018, 09:18 PM
In another thread, there was a poster despairing of catching Virginia in the ACC race -- the Cavs are off to a 5-0 start.

But in many ways, Virginia's fast ACC start is an illusion. The Cavs have played FOUR home games. They have a good road win (at Virginia Tech), but that's the only ACC win away from JPJ.

Almost all ACC teams (except Pitt) are crushing it at home.

Tonight, Duke became the first ACC team to get two road wins -- even if one of them is a gimmie against Pitt. On the other hand, the win at No. 25 Miami probably ranked as the best ACC road win so far -- ahead of Virginia at VPI, Louisville at FSU and UNC at Notre Dame (which would be more impressive if the Cheats didn't barely beat the Irish with Notre Dame's two best players out).

BC held home court against FSU (81-75). That makes ACC home teams 28-10 at this point.

DukieInBrasil
01-15-2018, 09:26 PM
BC held home court against FSU (81-75). That makes ACC home teams 28-10 at this point.

BC now 3-3 in ACC play. Whoda thunk it?

duketaylor
01-15-2018, 10:34 PM
Agree, our loss at BC doesn't look so awful now. Our win tonight is very strong, but our defensive deficiencies are worrisome. I'm watching WVU beating KU right now, lots of time left. So, as I'm seeing college hoops unfold, there's no clearcut favorite. Nova's good, for sure, UVA very good as well. But no stud team. MSU could be, Duke could be. UVA could be, but their lack of scoring keeps many games closer than they need to be. I need to see more Big 12 teams/games to figure who's totally legit.

Should be a fun NCAA Tourney, wide open!!!

Wahoo2000
01-15-2018, 11:49 PM
Agree, our loss at BC doesn't look so awful now. Our win tonight is very strong, but our defensive deficiencies are worrisome. I'm watching WVU beating KU right now, lots of time left. So, as I'm seeing college hoops unfold, there's no clearcut favorite. Nova's good, for sure, UVA very good as well. But no stud team. MSU could be, Duke could be. UVA could be, but their lack of scoring keeps many games closer than they need to be. I need to see more Big 12 teams/games to figure who's totally legit.

Should be a fun NCAA Tourney, wide open!!!

Duke and MSU, in my opinion, are head and shoulders above the field in potential of where they COULD be by March. (Duke more talent, but MSU still excellent talent level plus a bit more seasoning/experience)

If those 2 teams play their best ball at the end, I strongly believe one of them will cut down the nets in San Antonio.

As for UVA if we don't sort out our rebounding issues, THAT, and not any perceived lack of offense will be our downfall.

PackMan97
01-16-2018, 04:44 PM
[9]North Carolina (3-2) (-6) hosts [15]Clemson (4-1) (7:00, ACCNE)

Hope springs eternal....sad that the Tigers only get a shot every other year now. 9f swofford and the cheats.

devildeac
01-16-2018, 06:55 PM
Clemson-"u"nc tip off in 6 minutes and the cheaters already in the bonus.

:rolleyes:

MChambers
01-16-2018, 07:13 PM
The Dean Dome looks half empty. Not sure if it’s the wine or the cheese that’s missing, but it’s nice to see.

Stray Gator
01-16-2018, 07:20 PM
With Clemson averaging a turnover a minute before the first TV timeout, it appears that the specter of "the streak" has the Tigers playing tight. Of course, it's still early and things can change, but that 13-point hole is going to be difficult to overcome unless the flow of the game changes dramatically.

dukelifer
01-16-2018, 07:28 PM
With Clemson averaging a turnover a minute before the first TV timeout, it appears that the specter of "the streak" has the Tigers playing tight. Of course, it's still early and things can change, but that 13-point hole is going to be difficult to overcome unless the flow of the game changes dramatically.

The flow change after a 13 point lead? That never happens ;)

lotusland
01-16-2018, 07:41 PM
I was really hoping to follow this s game on the “not going to jinx it” thread.

MChambers
01-16-2018, 07:53 PM
Maye just went to the locker room holding his nose. I didn’t see what happened, but I don’t believe a foul was called.

DU82
01-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Maye just went to the locker room holding his nose. I didn’t see what happened, but I don’t believe a foul was called.

It would have been on Williams, his teammate.

But I think the locals will blame Gerald anyway.

cato
01-16-2018, 07:59 PM

I suppose I have a faint hope, but then I remember that Clemson loses in Chapel Hill even when the Tigers are better.

UNC is better this year. And Clemson always loses in Chapel Hill.

ncexnyc
Can someone please give Brownell the diaper bag, because his team is stinking up the joint.

UrinalCake
Clemson looks awful. I'm sure Zion Williamson has already made up his mind, but if this game were some type of showcase for him then Clemson should be very worried. Berry and Maye are a combined 1-9 for five points yet the CHeats are up 15 at the half.

chrishoke
01-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Clemson was putrid in the 1st half and trails by 15. They left 8 points at the free throw line.

dukelifer
01-16-2018, 08:01 PM

Clemson has contained UNC’s big two- but not the rest.

dukebluesincebirth
01-16-2018, 08:05 PM
I’m convinced that Clemson will never ever ever win in ch. It’s just cosmically impossible in my lifetime. It’s incredible. Tonight isn’t even close.

cato
01-16-2018, 08:10 PM
I’m convinced that Clemson will never ever ever win in ch. It’s just cosmically impossible in my lifetime. It’s incredible. Tonight isn’t even close.

We all reach this conclusion at some point. It’s must a matter of when.

ncexnyc
01-16-2018, 09:28 PM
Another tough loss for the undermanned Irish. This time in double OT.

UrinalCake
01-16-2018, 10:29 PM
If you're a glutton for punishment and want to watch some truly ugly basketball, check out the Pitt-Syracuse game. Orange up 39-35 with just over 8 minutes left in the game. The teams are a combined 26-for-73 from the field

trinity92
01-16-2018, 10:33 PM
I am NEVER watching another Clemson @ unc game again. It’s always the same outcome, no matter what the backdrop is from year to year. I always tune in, and it’s groundhog day. Can’t fathom why I’d ever watch again. Of course come next year, my tune will likely change and my hopes will be dashed yet again.

Meet the new Tigers, same as the old . . .

DukeDevil
01-16-2018, 10:42 PM
If you're a glutton for punishment and want to watch some truly ugly basketball, check out the Pitt-Syracuse game. Orange up 39-35 with just over 8 minutes left in the game. The teams are a combined 26-for-73 from the field

I thought it was still the first half by the score before realizing it was 5 minutes left in the 2nd half. This is...painful to watch. If we don't hold Pitt to less then 60 it'll be depressing. Or really even less than 50.

PackMan97
01-16-2018, 11:05 PM
I would love to see the Clemson football team get a chance to play the Tarheels in death valley every season :)

devildeac
01-16-2018, 11:14 PM
I would love to see the Clemson football team get a chance to play the Tarheels in death valley every season :)

Divisional trade proposal: Y'all take the cheaters in your division and we'll take BC (or WFU) and drop "u"nc as our annual "rivals." What say? ;)

(Yea, yea, I know. We've got The Bell and have won a few against them in recent years but...)

PackMan97
01-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Divisional trade proposal: Y'all take the cheaters in your division and we'll take BC (or WFU) and drop "u"nc as our annual "rivals." What say? ;)

(Yea, yea, I know. We've got The Bell and have won a few against them in recent years but...)

Oh heck no...I don't want to bring down the academic standing of our division after all, compared to the Cheats that Atlantic Division with FSU, Clemson and Lousiville looks like the Ivy League of the South.

NSDukeFan
01-17-2018, 06:09 PM

I wonder what kind of adjustment KenPom makes in his algorithm predictions when Clemson visits Chapel Hill? 15 points extra home court advantage?

DU82
01-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Tuned in to State-Wake with 2 minutes left, 63 all. State scores the last nine points to win 72-63.

PackMan97, you're welcome.

duketaylor
01-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Gave up 48, wins easily. This is one good hoops team. Big showdown on the horizon, but I refuse to get ahead of myself. Let's win the next 2, then...
Wake and State close in Raleigh. Oh, were, State won 72-63. State's been somewhat impressive.

ncexnyc
01-18-2018, 10:07 PM
Strange call at the end of the State game. Childress drives to the hoop and clearly gets fouled by Beverly, but the refs check to see who the ball went out of bounds off last and turn the ball over to State.

Wahoo2000
01-18-2018, 10:08 PM
Tuned in to State-Wake with 2 minutes left, 63 all. State scores the last nine points to win 72-63.

Starting to think State is going to mess around and get IN to the tourney. I've been impressed with the little I've seen of them. They played very well vs my Hoos - aside from the fact that we had a really good shooting night, and they had a very bad one (I mean on the quality looks that they got, not the usual "forced" bad shooting by our D), they played us pretty evenly, maybe even a smidge better. They dominated us on the glass and actually forced some live ball turnovers for easy points. Usually a recipe to lose, but lucky for us they couldn't hit a jumper if their life depended on it (in that game anyway).

When they get a FULL effort and shoot well- they can probably beat anyone (as I'm sure the bulk of fans here know, apologies). I'm just saying that, "The Duke game was not a fluke" isn't a line that disparages Duke, it's a line that compliments the Pack.

Go ACC (mostly....)

Wahoo2000
01-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Gave up 48, wins easily. This is one good hoops team. Big showdown on the horizon, but I refuse to get ahead of myself. Let's win the next 2, then...
Wake and State close in Raleigh. Oh, were, State won 72-63. State's been somewhat impressive.

Exactly as I (and most UVA fans) feel - don't want to mess up and drop one we (or you too) shouldn't before then and the environment for that game should be electric. I don't think we'll fare to well, but I think I'll decline to get into analysis until the game is MUCH closer.

W&LHoo
01-18-2018, 10:11 PM

UVA's defense is clearly getting locked in. In a change from previous years, we've essentially traded excellent defensive rebounding for creating more turnovers. Ultimately, I think that's an improvement. Our conversion rate on a turnover is likely higher than the median offensive rebound from another team.

That said, it's increasingly clear that DeAndre Hunter is the only truly dangerous Hoo driving to the basket. Devon Hall and Kyle Guy can do it from time to time, but not reliably enough. That's going to continue to be a problem against teams that guard our perimeter shooters well.

PackMan97
01-18-2018, 10:29 PM

Thank you. Who knows what would have happened without your help?

PackMan97
01-18-2018, 10:38 PM
they had a very bad one (I mean on the quality looks that they got, not the usual "forced" bad shooting by our D),

When they get a FULL effort and shoot well- they can probably beat anyone (as I'm sure the bulk of fans here know, apologies). I'm just saying that, "The Duke game was not a fluke" isn't a line that disparages Duke, it's a line that compliments the Pack.

Go ACC (mostly...)

State is a die by the three team this season. We can be extraordinarily bad at shooting regardless of the defense. It seems like the team wants to shoot more outside shots when they don't fall.

Keatts has the team playing a winning style. I don't remember the last time we had not one but three signature wins before the middle of January.

Truth&Justise
01-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Strange call at the end of the State game. Childress drives to the hoop and clearly gets fouled by Beverly, but the refs check to see who the ball went out of bounds off last and turn the ball over to State.

This is what I hate about end of game reply. It's been discussed at various places on these boards, but the above result is just wildly unfair.

Equitable solutions are hard to come by. Mine is that refs can use replay, but only in real time. I think it'd keep delays to a minimum, allow for reversal of clear errors, and would encourage the refs to make a real call on the play instead of just assuming they can rely on replay.

JasonEvans
01-19-2018, 09:32 PM
This is what I hate about end of game reply. It's been discussed at various places on these boards, but the above result is just wildly unfair.

Equitable solutions are hard to come by. Mine is that refs can use replay, but only in real time. I think it'd keep delays to a minimum, allow for reversal of clear errors, and would encourage the refs to make a real call on the play instead of just assuming they can rely on replay.

There was a time when refs would sometimes refuse to call a foul but then say the ball was out on the guy who they almost called the foul upon. It was a way they could not penalize the offense or the defense on a close play. You would see it all the time on rebounds, where the guy being boxed out would bump the guy in front of him but the refs would just say the ball went out of bounds instead of calling a foul.

Now, with replay, the result of plays like that is they sometimes get overturned and the ball is given to the guy who committed the foul but did not get it called. It is taking some of the control of the game away from the refs and I really am not a fan of it. Frankly, I find that college and pro refs mess up the call so infrequently, I think replay is a bad idea.

-Jason "and don't even get me started on NFL replay and the freaking impossibility of judging what is and is not a catch in football" Evans

PackMan97
01-19-2018, 10:14 PM
-Jason "and don't even get me started on NFL replay and the freaking impossibility of judging what is and is not a catch in football" Evans

The ground can't cause a fumble, but it can prevent a catch.

Bob Green
01-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Saturday
[48]Virginia Tech (2-3) (-1) hosts [28]Florida State (2-3) (12:00, ESPN2)
[9]North Carolina (3-2) (-15) hosts [102]Georgia Tech (3-1) (2:00)
[4]Duke (3-2) (-25) hosts [202]Pittsburgh (0-5) (4:00, ACCNE)
[15]Clemson (4-1) (-5) hosts [22]Notre Dame (3-2) (4:00, ESPN)

A couple of interesting match-ups today to keep us entertained on a Saturday.

In a game none of us will watch because it is at the same time as Duke, Clemson must beat Notre Dame to maintain pace as one of the top four or five teams in the league. At 4-2, a loss to Notre Dame would drop Clemson into the middle of the pack. I'm going with Clemson in this one due to the Notre Dame injury status.

The first game of the day, Florida State at Virginia Tech is a first step toward crawling out of the standing's bottom tier for whichever team wins. I'll give Virginia Tech the nod seeing as the game is in Blacksburg but this one is certainly a toss up.

And finally, Georgia Tech travels to Chapel Hill to take on Carolina. Can they pull off the upset? A big game from Ben Lammers inside would be helpful. Georgia Tech's offense looked horrible last game out against Virginia but I attribute that more to Virginia's defense than GT's offense. I'm not confident GT will win but I am optimistic they cover the spread (Gambling thread comment). :D The Yellow Jackets stinging the Tar Heels would certainly be an entertaining warm up to the Duke game.

curtis325
01-20-2018, 01:10 PM
A couple of interesting match-ups today to keep us entertained on a Saturday.

In a game none of us will watch because it is at the same time as Duke, Clemson must beat Notre Dame to maintain pace as one of the top four or five teams in the league. At 4-2, a loss to Notre Dame would drop Clemson into the middle of the pack. I'm going with Clemson in this one due to the Notre Dame injury status.

The first game of the day, Florida State at Virginia Tech is a first step toward crawling out of the standing's bottom tier for whichever team wins. I'll give Virginia Tech the nod seeing as the game is in Blacksburg but this one is certainly a toss up.

And finally, Georgia Tech travels to Chapel Hill to take on Carolina. Can they pull off the upset? A big game from Ben Lammers inside would be helpful. Georgia Tech's offense looked horrible last game out against Virginia but I attribute that more to Virginia's defense than GT's offense. I'm not confident GT will win but I am optimistic they cover the spread (Gambling thread comment). :D The Yellow Jackets stinging the Tar Heels would certainly be an entertaining warm up to the Duke game.

Is Tech as good as Wofford?

JasonEvans
01-20-2018, 01:17 PM

Not quite. (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400986628)

Bob Green
01-20-2018, 01:18 PM

Ken Pomeroy has Georgia Tech at 108, Wofford at 165.

Spanarkel
01-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Clemson's captain Donte Grantham suffered a knee injury today vs. ND at ~10 minute mark of second half and didn't return to the game. MRI tomorrow per Coach Brownell. Prayers for this young man.

PackMan97
01-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Huge game for State today.

We have looked putrid on the road at Clemson and losing by 30 to a depleted Clemson team that we need to hold serve at home. Our out of conference schedule is bad, so we need games like this in the win column. After dropping on the road to Clemson and ND to open ACC play, I would never have thought we'd play for a shot at moving above .500 in ACC play. I don't Gino State is just waiting to get Wolfpack nation's hopes up, beforehand laying a turd at Pitt...so don't be surprised by a State win today.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2018, 09:28 AM

We have looked putrid on the road at Clemson and losing by 30 to a depleted Clemson team that we need to hold serve at home. Our out of conference schedule is bad, so we need games like this in the win column. After dropping on the road to Clemson and ND to open ACC play, I would never have thought we'd play for a shot at moving above .500 in ACC play. I don't Gino State is just waiting to get Wolfpack nation's hopes up, beforehand laying a turd at Pitt...so don't be surprised by a State win today.

That looks like the only game worth watching, absent an alert on the anti-jinx thread.

Good luck to the Pack today!

PackMan97
01-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Goodness....autocorrect /smh

OldPhiKap
01-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Goodness...autocorrect /smh

You telling us that you didn’t meat what you said?

Neals384
01-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Not much consolation, but at least they held serve against The Irish.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-21-2018, 10:26 AM
You telling us that you didn’t meat what you said?

The steaks are hi.

JasonEvans
01-21-2018, 01:32 PM
Clemson's captain Donte Grantham suffered a knee injury today vs. ND at ~10 minute mark of second half and didn't return to the game. MRI tomorrow per Coach Brownell. Prayers for this young man.

For folks who did not see it in the Klemnop thread... Grantham tore his ACL and his career at Clemson is done. So sad...

PackMan97
01-21-2018, 02:06 PM
The steaks are hi.

State lost by 5. We spotted the Canes and early 9 point leave and could never really get over that hump. We did make Miami look like an offensive juggernaut hit. They shot 57% with 26 assists and only 10 turnovers. Yurtseven had a huge game and Johnson had 14 assists, but it wasn't enough.

Dang it. Next up is Pitt on the road.

Troublemaker
01-21-2018, 02:59 PM
For folks who did not see it in the Klemnop thread... Grantham tore his ACL and his career at Clemson is done. So sad...

Argh, I feel bad for the kid but I also feel bad about my pie bet with Wheat i.e. UNC will not be a top 3 seed in the ACCT. I feel good about UVA and Duke finishing ahead, but now with Notre Dame and Clemson suffering major injuries, I'm going to need some help to win. I still have a chance but I think it's slightly less than 50/50 now to win even though it's basically "UNC vs the field for a top 3 seed in the ACCT." The field has been significantly weakened.

richardjackson199
01-21-2018, 04:33 PM

What an awful week and day for Clemson. I think many of us would have been happy for Clemson to win Zion. I mean we're ecstatic with the shocking announcement for us, but it just sucks for Clemson and I feel for them.

ncexnyc
01-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Don't look now, but the Cards are now 5-1 in ACC play.

JasonEvans
01-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Don't look now, but the Cards are now 5-1 in ACC play.

They haven't exactly faced murderer's row thus far, but they do have road wins at ND and at FSU and their only loss is at Clemson (no shame in that!). We will learn a lot more about them this week when they go to Miami. The Canes are 3-3 in the league and you know they do not want another home loss. And Louisville may have the toughest final stretch of anyone in the league. Thier final 5 games are: UNC, @Duke, @VT, Virginia, and @NCSt. I mean, you could play well and go 1-4 or even possibly 0-5 in that stretch.

But, Louisville is currently well-positioned to be one of the top 4 and get the double-bye.

-Jason "I think Miami is about to go on a bit of a run... they should be favorite in 8 of their next 10 games coming up" Evans

ncexnyc
01-22-2018, 10:57 AM
They haven't exactly faced murderer's row thus far, but they do have road wins at ND and at FSU and their only loss is at Clemson (no shame in that!). We will learn a lot more about them this week when they go to Miami. The Canes are 3-3 in the league and you know they do not want another home loss. And Louisville may have the toughest final stretch of anyone in the league. Thier final 5 games are: UNC, @Duke, @VT, Virginia, and @NCSt. I mean, you could play well and go 1-4 or even possibly 0-5 in that stretch.

But, Louisville is currently well-positioned to be one of the top 4 and get the double-bye.

-Jason "I think Miami is about to go on a bit of a run... they should be favorite in 8 of their next 10 games coming up" Evans

Easy schedule up to this point? Ok, I can go along with that, but isn't part of being a contender TCB?

Also how many on this forum thought the Cards could overcome the loss of Slick Rick so smoothly?

Troublemaker
01-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Easy schedule up to this point? Ok, I can go along with that, but isn't part of being a contender TCB?

Also how many on this forum thought the Cards could overcome the loss of Slick Rick so smoothly?

Padgett hasn't proven that yet, though. As of today, Louisville is around an 8 seed (http://bracketmatrix.com/), which is disappointing for such a veteran team.

Let's see how they finish out the conference season

JasonEvans
01-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Padgett hasn't proven that yet, though. As of today, Louisville is around an 8 seed (http://bracketmatrix.com/), which is disappointing for such a veteran team.

Let's see how they finish out the conference season

Yeah, let's not forget that this was supposed to be a top 10 team according to the pre-season rankings.

flyingdutchdevil
01-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Yeah, let's not forget that this was supposed to be a top 10 team according to the pre-season rankings.

Goes to show the power of coaching. Yeah - Pitino was a sleazebag. But a sleazebag who could coach the hell out of his team.

BandAlum83
01-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Goes to show the power of coaching. Yeah - Pitino was a sleazebag. But a sleazebag who could coach the hell out of his team.

Is the new coach continuing the strategy of foul and keep fouling until the refs stop calling them?

W&LHoo
01-23-2018, 03:21 PM

It's sufficiently measurable to allow for it to be factored reliably into advanced stats. KenPom has metrics related to coaching changes that go into his predictive formulae.