Oklahoma
Duke
West Virginia
Wichita
Texas Tech
MSU
Kansas

-Jason "4 Big 12 teams in the top 10. That's impressive." Evans

There are NO days/games off in that league. I know expansion is driven by football, but the bottom 5 teams are really pulling the overall quality of the ACC down (especially when some of the "good" teams lose to them.... ugh).

I still can't believe the media picked us 6th and that we were unranked to start the season. Totally screwed up our streak of being in the polls for like 4 straight years. The media are such haters of system teams that don't get the top-tier athletes. EVERY year it's, "Well, they lost [insert an of options below] so they'll take a step back".
2014 - Harris/Mitchell
2015 - Anderson/Atkins
2016 - Brogdon/Gill/Tobey (and we did take a step back in 2017, but only due to the combo of losing Austin Nichols in the preseason, and then Wilkins being hampered by illness in February - we were top 10 before that)
2017 - Perrantes/Transfers

I wonder if the media will ever learn their lesson and just "auto-rank" Bennett's teams no matter WHAT the roster looks like. Because I guarantee you, he could take a bunch of sub-150 players and at least get them to the top 25 based on D alone. Give him top 100 guys - and we'll be top 5-10ish.

flyingdutchdevil
01-15-2018, 04:08 PM
There are NO days/games off in that league. I know expansion is driven by football, but the bottom 5 teams are really pulling the overall quality of the ACC down (especially when some of the "good" teams lose to them... ugh).

I still can't believe the media picked us 6th and that we were unranked to start the season. Totally screwed up our streak of being in the polls for like 4 straight years. The media are such haters of system teams that don't get the top-tier athletes. EVERY year it's, "Well, they lost [insert an of options below] so they'll take a step back".
2014 - Harris/Mitchell
2015 - Anderson/Atkins
2016 - Brogdon/Gill/Tobey (and we did take a step back in 2017, but only due to the combo of losing Austin Nichols in the preseason, and then Wilkins being hampered by illness in February - we were top 10 before that)

I wonder if the media will ever learn their lesson and just "auto-rank" Bennett's teams no matter WHAT the roster looks like. Because I guarantee you, he could take a bunch of sub-150 players and at least get them to the top 25 based on D alone. Give him top 100 guys - and we'll be top 5-10ish.

UVa really reminds me of the Duke's of old: lots of experience, always a threat, always start out the season strong, always a major competitor to win the ACC...

I think a big difference between those teams and the old Duke teams is the older Duke teams had more talent and hence more potential in the tourney.

IMO, there is no better coach in the country at maximizing the value of his players than Tony Bennett. The dude is a magician.

I admire the defense that UVa plays. It's so, so beautiful.

OldPhiKap
01-15-2018, 04:15 PM
There are NO days/games off in that league. I know expansion is driven by football, but the bottom 5 teams are really pulling the overall quality of the ACC down (especially when some of the "good" teams lose to them... ugh).

2014 - Harris/Mitchell
2015 - Anderson/Atkins

UVa really reminds me of the Duke's of old: lots of experience, always a threat, always start out the season strong, always a major competitor to win the ACC...

I think a big difference between those teams and the old Duke teams is the older Duke teams had more talent and hence more potential in the tourney.

IMO, there is no better coach in the country at maximizing the value of his players than Tony Bennett. The dude is a magician.

I admire the defense that UVa plays. It's so, so beautiful.

Bennett is the best coach in the ACC that doesn't live in Durham. And when K retires, Bennett has a chance to be the king for a long long time.

If I were a UVA fan, I would really like where I sit. Like fdd said, this reminds me a lot of when I was at Duke in the mid-80's -- young coach whose teams played fundamentally sound; were committed to defense; and who earned the respect of those in the conference who already had lots of accolades.

I really like Bennett, as you can tell.

weezie
01-15-2018, 04:20 PM
...Give him top 100 guys - and we'll be top 5-10ish.

Every respect Wahoo, been to JPJ, seen the great atmosphere, beautiful surroundings, etc., but why hasn't Tony's recruiting reflected the same measure of that success on the court?

Not disparaging any of the young men in the program, not at all, but where are those total team top 100 type guys? Tony's been there long enough to garner more consideration from prospects, that's how I see it.

mgtr
01-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Ah, but where did you leave your heart?:D

DBFAN
01-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Just not sure how Oklahoma who lost last week when we lost, and we won 2 games easily past week, somehow jumps over us?

MChambers
01-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Bennett is the best coach in the ACC that doesn't live in Durham. And when K retires, Bennett has a chance to be the king for a long long time.

If I were a UVA fan, I would really like where I sit. Like fdd said, this reminds me a lot of when I was at Duke in the mid-80's -- young coach whose teams played fundamentally sound; were committed to defense; and who earned the respect of those in the conference who already had lots of accolades.

I like and respect Bennett a lot, too. For my taste, however, his boring (really too nice a word) approach on offense is a major weakness and is likely to keep him from attracting much top talent. Also, playing a low tempo game is a great way to get upset. Now, if the NBA lets players go directly out of high school, or stay in school two years or more, that could help Bennett with the talent disparity.

El_Diablo
01-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Just not sure how Oklahoma who lost last week when we lost, and we won 2 games easily past week, somehow jumps over us?

They beat two ranked teams last week. We beat the two worst teams in our conference.

Neals384
01-15-2018, 06:45 PM
Every respect Wahoo, been to JPJ, seen the great atmosphere, beautiful surroundings, etc., but why hasn't Tony's recruiting reflected the same measure of that success on the court?

Not disparaging any of the young men in the program, not at all, but where are those total team top 100 type guys? Tony's been there long enough to garner more consideration from prospects, that's how I see it.

I like and respect Bennett a lot, too. For my taste, however, his boring (really too nice a word) approach on offense is a major weakness and is likely to keep him from attracting much top talent. Also, playing a low tempo game is a great way to get upset. Now, if the NBA lets players go directly out of high school, or stay in school two years or more, that could help Bennett with the talent disparity.

This. If you were the sort of athletic kid who loves to run and gun, and want big scoring numbers to feed your NBA dream, would you rather play for Tony (and have to work your butt off on D while not scoring much in a slow-tempo game), or some other unnamed ACC coach?

DBFAN
01-15-2018, 07:03 PM
They beat two ranked teams last week. We beat the two worst teams in our conference.

I don’t buy that justification. First Duke has to play those teams. Regardless of who OK is playing. Secondly they beat both of those teams soundly, so unless this is football and needing to win by 40 in order to move up the polls I fail to see this as a good reason. Vill plays in a weak conference should they be punished or should OK be number 1 team? Of course not

W&LHoo
01-15-2018, 07:10 PM
This. If you were the sort of athletic kid who loves to run and gun, and want big scoring numbers to feed your NBA dream, would you rather play for Tony (and have to work your butt off on D while not scoring much in a slow-tempo game), or some other unnamed ACC coach?

Of late, the offense has actually been scoring faster and I think as kids see more UVA players in the NBA some will come around on the system. While we still play the fewest possessions in CBB, our time of possession on offense has actually dipped significantly this season - it's just that our defense will (hopefully) always mean 20+ second possessions by whomever we're playing.

Wahoo2000
01-15-2018, 08:45 PM

I guess I'd have to decide what's more important: having fun, or maximizing my talent and getting to the NBA? We put guys in the league that wouldn't get there elsewhere. How often do 50-150 guys like Harris, Anderson, Brogdon have successful NBA careers? He's also gotten Tobey and Perrantes contracts and time in the league, though on a much more limited basis. Bennett gives guys the tools to be successful in the NBA. So while we're not a good fit for the guys that will get to the league regardless, if there is any player who is a borderline NBA talent (guys in the 25-50 range in the consensus rankings), UVA is where I'd want to go if I wanted a future playing pro ball.

Interestingly though, Bennett seems to prefer kids who are about the team and winning above any of their individual goals. Difficult to find these days, but somehow he seems to keep doing it. I think if/when Bennett sits down with a recruit in-home and the kid says, "coach, how can you help me get to the NBA", Bennett politely goes over his history as a player, connections, and recent players put in through the draft..... but inwardly, I'm sure he's wondering if the player will be a good fit.

WVDUKEFAN
01-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Is anyone else watching Purdue vs Wisconsin? Purdue is legit. Wow.

duke4ever19
01-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Is anyone else watching Purdue vs Wisconsin? Purdue is legit. Wow.

Yeah. My first look at them. They look really good. I've seen them up in the polls, but gotta admit, I didn't think them legit until tonight.