PDA

View Full Version : An Academic Survey - Can You Help?

Julio
10-24-2007, 02:24 AM
We got a message this summer from a Ph.D. candidate at Indiana named Galen Clavio, who is doing a study on fan site message boards. He asked if he could post something on DBR asking if people would participate in a survey, and we hope a lot of you will help out. It's a research project, and it could be pretty interesting. Here's a note from Galen explaining what he's up to:

Hi, my name is Galen Clavio, and I'm a Ph.D. student at Indiana University.
You are cordially invited to participate in a research study on sport message board users. This is the first study of its kind, and the basic premise of the project is that sport message boards, particularly those dealing with university athletic programs, represent an important and rapidly growing part of the overall sport landscape.

It's my hope that this study will help to increase the body of knowledge for
researchers about sports message boards, while also shedding light on how important they've become to the sports world as a whole.

The survey is completely anonymous, and will take you about 5-10 minutes to complete. Thanks in advance for your participation! If you have any questions, please email me at gclavio@indiana.edu

Survey Link (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=o8W5_2be5IkbXhuMVlaugbgQ_3d_3d)

dukemomLA
10-24-2007, 02:40 AM
I just completed the survey from the PHD candidate from Indiana. Let's BOMBARD him with Duke input so he knows the DBR is the BEST site on the planet. He/she will be overwhelmed. GO DUKE!

Bob Green
10-24-2007, 02:53 AM
I just completed the survey and it took about 10 minutes. I agree that DBR readers should flood skew the survey.

wilson
10-24-2007, 07:37 AM
I just did the survey too, but hoping to skew this guy's doctoral research isn't really the nicest of sentiments. I think (hope) he's done enough "homework" as to forestall such an event, but let's do this more in the spirit of representing our own favorite board and helping the guy out?

-jk
10-24-2007, 09:24 AM
I just did the survey too, but hoping to skew this guy's doctoral research isn't really the nicest of sentiments. I think (hope) he's done enough "homework" as to forestall such an event, but let's do this more in the spirit of representing our own favorite board and helping the guy out?

It's an internet survey; there's almost nothing scientific about it. I hope he'll use it to get firmer direction for his more valid, random survey.

That said, have fun! Take the survey again while impersonating an Inside Carolina poster! :D (I suspect they'll do the same to us!)

-jk

devildeac
10-24-2007, 09:47 AM
It's an internet survey; there's almost nothing scientific about it. I hope he'll use it to get firmer direction for his more valid, random survey.

That said, have fun! Take the survey again while impersonating an Inside Carolina poster! :D (I suspect they'll do the same to us!)

-jk

That is a GREAT idea. I have a question, however. I have not looked at the survey, but I will assume by your suggestion that there is plenty of opportunity for profanity and illogical thought processes and hatred if we are to impersonate one of our beloved brethren(cough, cough) from i.c.;)

ACCBBallFan
10-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Gad to help Galen out by completing the survey which only took 5-10 minutes.

Several of the strongly Agree/Strongly Disagree questions were compound statements that were not easy classify since I agreed with one clause and disagreed with the other.

So that forced me to have more Neither Agree nor Disagree answers than I would have had the questions been one per topic.

Also the average hours I watch TV varies dramatically on whether there are college basketball session that week or not (20 or so hours more).

throatybeard
10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Very interesting survey. It taught me how I'm sort of an outlier. I mean I knew that, but the questions were interesting.

mapei
10-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Very interesting survey. It taught me how I'm sort of an outlier. I mean I knew that, but the questions were interesting.

How do you know, without seeing the results? Because your reasons weren't listed? Not being sarcastic, just curious what you meant.