PDA

View Full Version : A humiliating loss by MSU helps get the bad taste of last night out...

scottdude8
01-07-2018, 06:35 PM
MSU just got annihilated by Ohio State in a game that wasn’t ever that close. And OSU is a FAR worse team than N.C. State (considering the mass exodus that occurred after Thad Motta was fired... yes I know they’re atop the B1G but that’s due to lucky scheduling and a bad conference. Consider that a former Michigan walk-on, Andrew Dakich, sees major minutes for them at the point.). That loss will end up looking worse for MSU than ours last night.

Long story short, we have every reason to have major trepidations about our team after last night. However, the doom and gloom about how a No. 1 seed was out of reach was WAY premature, as this shows. With our great non conference record we just need to hold serve and do solid in the ACC tourney and a top seed is still very much in play.

53n206
01-07-2018, 06:52 PM
We have work to do before we worry about national rankings. Coaches must coach.

DukieInBrasil
01-07-2018, 07:07 PM
as happy as i was to see MSU's loss on the ticker, it doesn't say anything about Duke in particular. The team still has a long way to go and a lot to improve on to reach its potential. It could happen tomorrow or not at all.
College hoops still has the ability to surprise!

chrishoke
01-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Nope.

elvis14
01-07-2018, 07:18 PM
MSU's loss has nothing to do with our loss last night and it does nothing to get the bad taste of last night out.
At least now we can stop it with the whole "we are OK, we are the only team to beat MSU" comments.

UrinalCake
01-07-2018, 07:26 PM
I’m more worried about how our team is playing and what will happen in our next game, not as much about National rankings and such. But the loss does serve as a good reminder that every team is beatable and playing on the road is not something to take lightly. Bringing other teams closer down to our level does help take away the sting a little, at least for me.

lotusland
01-07-2018, 07:26 PM
MSU, ASU, Xavier, TAMU, OK and Duke not to mention fellow blue bloods KU, AZ and UK and UNCheat. Nova, WVA and UVA look solid but no one looks invincible. There’s a lot ball to be played. It’s not time to panic. Duke just needs to keep working and understand every game is a fight from here on out.

CDu
01-07-2018, 07:27 PM
MSU just got annihilated by Ohio State in a game that wasn’t ever that close. And OSU is a FAR worse team than N.C. State (considering the mass exodus that occurred after Thad Motta was fired... yes I know they’re atop the B1G but that’s due to lucky scheduling and a bad conference. Consider that a former Michigan walk-on, Andrew Dakich, sees major minutes for them at the point.). That loss will end up looking worse for MSU than ours last night.

Long story short, we have every reason to have major trepidations about our team after last night. However, the doom and gloom about how a No. 1 seed was out of reach was WAY premature, as this shows. With our great non conference record we just need to hold serve and do solid in the ACC tourney and a top seed is still very much in play.

I am sorry, but this is just not correct. OSU is #30 in TRank, #32 in RPI, and #37 in Pomeroy. They are 12-4 with losses to Gonzaga, Butler in OT, Clemson, and UNC. By comparison, State is #68 in TRank, #100 in RPI, and #78 in Pomeroy. Since losing their starting PG to suspension, they were 2-3 with a loss to UNC-G at home, a blowout loss to a very depleted Notre Dame, and only wins over RoMo and Jacksonville.

In no way, shape, or form is OSU worse than NC St.

bluenorth
01-07-2018, 07:31 PM
I watched a bit of the MSU - OSU game, and it was interesting to see the (then) #1 team in the nation struggle to stop dribble penetration. While we can come up with possible solutions to stop dribblers going to the hoop, such as better rotation and help-side D, the advantage is all with the ball-handler. Especially with the way that fouls are called so frequently for minor contact. With the size of this year's team, we should be able to collapse inside and block a few more shots. But that would open up kick-outs for open threes. Never mind, let's just out-score them!

UrinalCake
01-07-2018, 07:35 PM
I forgot that UNC beat OSU earlier this season, and pretty handily at that. Good win for them 8-(

weezie
01-07-2018, 07:36 PM
MSU's loss has nothing to do with our loss last night and it does nothing to get the bad taste of last night out.
At least now we can stop it with the whole "we are OK, we are the only team to beat MSU" comments.

I'll have what elvis14 is having.

All we're watching right now is a rather weak game across the entire college landscape. Various sports writers and network talkers get paid for picking, crowing and pointing. We have to be better Duke fans and not get sidetracked by the noise.

Betcha many many dollars there's a similar mood inside that coaching office.

CDu
01-07-2018, 07:38 PM
I forgot that UNC beat OSU earlier this season, and pretty handily at that. Good win for them 8-(

They also lost to MSU, so it is a wash.

Furniture
01-07-2018, 07:43 PM
I am trying the Sunday night more wine trick to wash away the bad taste. I’ll try my best!!!

scottdude8
01-08-2018, 09:42 AM
I am sorry, but this is just not correct. OSU is #30 in TRank, #32 in RPI, and #37 in Pomeroy. They are 12-4 with losses to Gonzaga, Butler in OT, Clemson, and UNC. By comparison, State is #68 in TRank, #100 in RPI, and #78 in Pomeroy. Since losing their starting PG to suspension, they were 2-3 with a loss to UNC-G at home, a blowout loss to a very depleted Notre Dame, and only wins over RoMo and Jacksonville.

In no way, shape, or form is OSU worse than NC St.

Huh. After watching OSU closely a couple of games compared to watching NC State on Saturday I am flabbergasted that they are rated that high. I could be wrong, but I would expect by the end of the season that they'll be closer to NC State in those rankings than they are to the Top 25.

Nevertheless, it seems like the intention of my thread was poorly articulated by me or misinterpreted by many... in no way was I trying to say anything deep about national rankings, comparing MSU to Duke, etc. I was merely trying to liven up the board by highlighting some potential schadenfreude via another top team having an embarrassing loss, and remind everyone that college basketball is so chaotic, especially this year, that some of the doom and gloom we were feeling/writing might have been unwarranted. However, if everyone wants to continue to feel gloomy, I'm not gonna stop you ;)

Wander
01-08-2018, 10:00 AM
I was merely trying to liven up the board by highlighting some potential schadenfreude via another top team having an embarrassing loss, and remind everyone that college basketball is so chaotic, especially this year, that some of the doom and gloom we were feeling/writing might have been unwarranted.

I don't think Michigan State's loss is embarrassing. In fact, I don't think the fact that we lost to NC State is embarrassing either - just the fact that we gave up a few thousand points in the game (regardless of whether it was a win or loss).

But yeah, I agree with you that it's useful to look at what other teams are doing for context.

ChillinDuke
01-08-2018, 11:24 AM
I don't think Michigan State's loss is embarrassing. In fact, I don't think the fact that we lost to NC State is embarrassing either - just the fact that we gave up a few thousand points in the game (regardless of whether it was a win or loss).

But yeah, I agree with you that it's useful to look at what other teams are doing for context.

Agree with Wander. I don't think either our nor MSU's loss is particularly embarrassing.

I've said it before - many times - and I'll say it again: Conference Road Games Are Difficult. Period. End of story. It doesn't matter the opponent. It doesn't matter how bad your perception was or is of Boston College, for example. People (generally, people) have a strong inclination to discount the difficulty of conference road games. Every single season. Every single week. Every single day.

That said, our defense needs significant work.

- Chillin