PDA

View Full Version : TV Teddy considering retirement

DukeDevil
01-07-2018, 10:31 AM
after his latest back turning incident...

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/referee-ted-valentine-thinking-retirement-controversy/story?id=52192190

CDu
01-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Well. Bye.

PackMan97
01-07-2018, 10:40 AM
This probably explains why it seems like UNC always gets calls....if you blow a call against UNC, you get shown the door.

Someone explain to me how have the OC (Original Cheater) in charge of the ACC is helping any of the other 14 teams in the ACC?

Bob Green
01-07-2018, 10:43 AM
I agree with Valentine, the "incident" is being overblown.

duke2x
01-07-2018, 10:50 AM
You beat me by a few seconds. Valentine has worked ACC games on and then off with each of the last 3 ACC supervisors for different reasons. The Big 10 is also run by another UNC alum.

I read recently was a top pick among coaches nationally for his non-theatrical work (top was Ayers), but he's not a favorite with me or other fans. It's going to be hard to replace him with an experienced official if he does retire immediately, particularly on any big Saturday games. We got lucky (not Luckie) in 2015 when Karl Hess left midseason. I'll speculate that Bryan Kersey picked up most of his Duke assignments (we had him 9 times when the norm is 4-5).

CDu
01-07-2018, 10:54 AM
I agree with Valentine, the "incident" is being overblown.

I don’t know. Valentine made a demonstrative display of his backturn. He could have ignored Berry without making a show of it. Instead, he made it a show for the TV and/or the crowd by dramatically turning away from Berry, crossing his arms and posing. That is not okay.

Valentine has always seemed like a guy who thinks he is part of the show rather than just an official. This is just yet another such display. I am glad he is getting grief for it. Much like how Joey Crawford got grief for making himself the show.

kshepinthehouse
01-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Good riddance TV Teddy!

kshepinthehouse
01-07-2018, 10:59 AM
You beat me by a few seconds. Valentine has worked ACC games on and then off with each of the last 3 ACC supervisors for different reasons. The Big 10 is also run by another UNC alum.

I read recently was a top pick among coaches nationally for his non-theatrical work (top was Ayers), but he's not a favorite with me or other fans. It's going to be hard to replace him with an experienced official if he does retire immediately, particularly on any big Saturday games. We got lucky (not Luckie) in 2015 when Karl Hess left midseason. I'll speculate that Bryan Kersey picked up most of his Duke assignments (we had him 9 times when the norm is 4-5).

Non theatrical work? Please explain.

CDu
01-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Non theatrical work? Please explain.

I think he means the reffing work Valentine does when he isn’t making himself the show.

kshepinthehouse
01-07-2018, 11:14 AM
I think he means the reffing work Valentine does when he isn’t making himself the show.

Which is rare in my opinion.

Bob Green
01-07-2018, 11:14 AM
I don’t know. Valentine made a demonstrative display of his backturn. He could have ignored Berry without making a show of it. Instead, he made it a show for the TV and/or the crowd by dramatically turning away from Berry, crossing his arms and posing. That is not okay.

I basically agree with you. Valentine could have handled the situation with less drama but in the end it isn't that big of deal.

CDu
01-07-2018, 11:19 AM
I basically agree with you. Valentine could have handled the situation with less drama but in the end it isn't that big of deal.

In isolation, you are probably right. And in the grand scheme of things, you are certainly right. But I think for me it is more a continuation of a recurring theme with Valentine wanting to make himself part of the show. Refs shouldn’t play to the crowd. If Valentine getting grief for this helps cut back on that happening in the future, that is a plus for me.

kshepinthehouse
01-07-2018, 11:24 AM
In isolation, you are probably right. And in the grand scheme of things, you are certainly right. But I think for me it is more a continuation of a recurring theme with Valentine wanting to make himself part of the show. Refs shouldn’t play to the crowd. If Valentine getting grief for this helps cut back on that happening in the future, that is a plus for me.

Exactly. Based on his comments in the article Teddy just doesn’t get it. I guess you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Go back and rewatch the Wake game at LJVM last year if you need a reason to dislike Teddy.

kshepinthehouse
01-07-2018, 11:37 AM
I doubt he is actually considering retiring. His ego is too big and this is probably just a ploy to get more attention.

elvis14
01-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Never liked Ted....until he dogged that Cheater POS Berry. He finally does something right and then he looks to retire. Ironic.

kAzE
01-07-2018, 07:25 PM
This cannot possibly happen soon enough. The day he retires will be a happy day for college basketball.

duke2x
01-07-2018, 07:28 PM
I doubt he is actually considering retiring. His ego is too big and this is probably just a ploy to get more attention.

His retirement might be in name only (RINO?). Valentine works mostly in ACC/BE alliance and Big 10. If he loses those two gigs, he's left with the SEC only, going west, or going to untelevised conferences with a big paycut. He may decide to hang it up given he's at the end of his career anyway. He certainly won't do any more UNC games this year just like Duke hasn't seen most of the Miami football crew since that dreaded Halloween night.

Yes, his ego drove his response when he should have kept his mouth shut. Most people have short memories. It is often wiser to let the media move on to something else.

ChillinDuke
01-08-2018, 06:26 PM

Agreed. Heck, how about Teddy's own quote:

" 'It was just something that happened in the battle of the game. It's not really worth talking about,' [Valentine] said."

The "battle of the game"?! Refs, by definition, should not feel like they are a part of a/the battle. IMO. Emotion like that is for the players. Perhaps this sort of window into Valentine's thought process helps to explain why he's so demonstrative on the court.

- Chillin