PDA

View Full Version : Iron Dukes Questions

907bluedevils
01-06-2018, 03:30 PM
How exactly does it work? I live in Alaska and want to try and make 1-2 games at Cameron a year and am wondering if this is a better option than stubhub. From what I understand, you get on a waitlist for extra tickets, sometimes you get some and sometimes you don’t. Don’t really want to fly all the way there to not get tickets, so I figure the ticket exchange is where I’d get the benefit. Are tickets readily available there at reasonable prices, or are they typical resell ticket prices as seen on stubhub? I want to make sure I fully understand the process before becoming an Iron Duke. Thanks

sagegrouse
01-06-2018, 03:37 PM
How exactly does it work? I live in Alaska and want to try and make 1-2 games at Cameron a year and am wondering if this is a better option than stubhub. From what I understand, you get on a waitlist for extra tickets, sometimes you get some and sometimes you don’t. Don’t really want to fly all the way there to not get tickets, so I figure the ticket exchange is where I’d get the benefit. Are tickets readily available there at reasonable prices, or are they typical resell ticket prices as seen on stubhub? I want to make sure I fully understand the process before becoming an Iron Duke. Thanks

Words to the wise: "Weekday games are easier tickets." I am also told, but have no experience, that, "Nine PM weekday games are even easier." Of course, if it's UNC, fuhgedaboutit.

Stray Gator
01-06-2018, 03:48 PM
I've used the Iron Dukes Ticket Exchange to procure extra tickets for family members over the years. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that tickets turned into the Exchange by season ticket holders (who can claim a charitable tax deduction for the face value of the tickets) are allocated to those on the Exchange request list based primarily, if not entirely, upon Iron Dukes priority level, and the recipients are charged face value for the tickets. In effect, Duke is able to sell those tickets twice, while assuring that the seats will not go empty (and are, at least usually, occupied by Duke fans).

devildeac
01-06-2018, 04:47 PM
I've used the Iron Dukes Ticket Exchange to procure extra tickets for family members over the years. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that tickets turned into the Exchange by season ticket holders (who can claim a charitable tax deduction for the face value of the tickets) are allocated to those on the Exchange request list based primarily, if not entirely, upon Iron Dukes priority level, and the recipients are charged face value for the tickets. In effect, Duke is able to sell those tickets twice, while assuring that the seats will not go empty (and are, at least usually, occupied by Duke fans).

This is my understanding, too. You might get a "bump" up the ladder a bit if your daughter is a cheerleader (or on the dance team or in DUMB perhaps)...

;)

907bluedevils
01-07-2018, 01:40 AM
How often are there tickets available on the ticket exchange? It sounds like the Iron Dukes may not be the best route for my situation.

weezie
01-07-2018, 08:28 AM
As the above posters indicated, it depends on your priority (group) level. Unless you're a Group 1 donor, big bucks, it likely isn't happening for any big games.

We've been IDs for many years now and I've never requested extras until this year and I'm still waiting to hear about the uva game. If I were you, I'd pay StubHub. The donation tax deduction is going away for athletic boosters. If you want the tickets for really only 1-2 games, it's easier and cheaper to pay a broker for them and have that security.

nmduke2001
01-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Iron Dukes also helps with getting tickets outside of Cameron. The rare occasion Duke plays out west it’s easy to get tickets as an Iron Duke. In addition, you can get NCAA tournament tickets.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2018, 12:40 PM
^^^ you also get priority on bowl tickets, which will come in handy next season.

hallcity
01-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Nobody knows how things are going to work after this season. Eliminating the tax deduction for athletic contributions tied to perks like ticket access (there's been an 80% deduction) will probably lead to changes. My guess is higher face prices on BB tickets with lower contribution levels. We'll see.

ricks68
01-07-2018, 01:46 PM
The problem with the ID ticket exchange is that they are last minute notifications. I was using it for years and got very friendly with the ID staff and also got listed for all the games I wanted the earliest I could when the the ID office opened for ticket requests those years. I was able to request at least a 5 hour notification, also, and kept a bag already packed in case I was called. It worked out very well for me and I was able to see quite a few games during that time. One time, I was getting ready to tee off and it was right at my 5 hour limit, so I made a last minute call to them. They said I got the tickets, and I took off for home to get my wife (who also kept a bag ready) and then on to Durham. We called on the road to get hotel reservations.

Unfortunately, I think those days are over, as the ticket exchange is done now by computer. The short notification time is probably still in affect, so it won't work for you anyway.

The DBR exchange is still the best, as far as I am concerned. If you become well known on the DBR boards (in a positive way, of course) and request tickets at the beginning of the season, it WILL happen. It appears that it's too late for you this year, however, so something like Stubhub may be your only choice. For the future, I would recommend getting active on the boards here. We have a great community, with members that often help each other out, not only to obtain tickets, but for many other things. I can attest to that.

Good luck.

ricks

907bluedevils
01-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, i've been a Duke fan since Langdon but am finally getting into trying to make it to Cameron from Alaska a couple times every year to catch games.