PDA

View Full Version : Duke - St. Johns

lucybluebear
01-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know the status of the tickets for the St. Johns game in NY? I put in a deposit but have not heard anything and the game is 3 weeks away. The ticket office says they don't have them yet and don't know when they will get them.

Do the iron dukes offer ticket purchases or can you only go through the ticket office?

Thanks.

freshmanjs
01-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know the status of the tickets for the St. Johns game in NY? I put in a deposit but have not heard anything and the game is 3 weeks away. The ticket office says they don't have them yet and don't know when they will get them.

Do the iron dukes offer ticket purchases or can you only go through the ticket office?

Thanks.

Just got an email from Iron Dukes yesterday asking to reconfirm how many tickets we wanted. Imagine once they process all that, they will know how many more tickets they have available.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Thanks.

I spoke to them early in the week and it sounds like St. John's took forever to give Duke its allocation and Iron Dukes/ticket office are now working their way through it - starting at Group 1 and working their way down, and hoping to let people know by next week. In the past I think any Iron Duke who asked for tickets got them so it will be very frustrating if that is not the case this year, particularly at this relatively late date. The game is otherwise listed as being sold out (excluding Stubhub, etc.).

duke74
01-05-2018, 12:13 PM
I spoke to them early in the week and it sounds like St. John's took forever to give Duke its allocation and Iron Dukes/ticket office are now working their way through it - starting at Group 1 and working their way down, and hoping to let people know by next week. In the past I think any Iron Duke who asked for tickets got them so it will be very frustrating if that is not the case this year, particularly at this relatively late date. The game is otherwise listed as being sold out (excluding Stubhub, etc.).

As a St. John's prof now, I may be there in "enemy territory." Perhaps I will do one of those two-sided shirt things...red and blue.

JK...will definitely be with us....(discreetly, if my Dean is there)

:)

sagegrouse
01-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Thanks.

Iron Dukes always transfers me to the ticket office when I am looking for tix.

weezie
01-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Just got an email from Iron Dukes yesterday asking to reconfirm how many tickets we wanted. Imagine once they process all that, they will know how many more tickets they have available.

Ditto. And the email confirming that we got seats came today but no info as to section.

duke74
01-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Ditto. And the email confirming that we got seats came today but no info as to section.

May I be bold and suggest that we figure out some sort of DBR get together here in NYC? I am not an Iron Duke or a member of of DUMAA, so would not be at any sponsored reception, etc.

lucybluebear
01-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Yay! I got a ticket confirmation today. Do they mail the tickets, or how do I get them?

budwom
01-08-2018, 12:53 PM
just be advised that, depending on the venue, sometimes the tickets Duke has are not very good ones. If you're desirous of good seats, you might want to
check around on Stubhub et al, though of course you'll pay more.

DarkstarWahoo
01-08-2018, 02:46 PM
How did you guys get started playing St. John's all the time, let alone in the middle of conference season? I assume Roshown McLeod is behind it.

sagegrouse
01-08-2018, 04:09 PM
How did you guys get started playing St. John's all the time, let alone in the middle of conference season? I assume Roshown McLeod is behind it.

We love NY. Lots of Duke alumni in NYC.

Who else? Seton Hall or Fordham?

budwom
01-08-2018, 04:59 PM

We thought the school was in the Virgin Islands and felt it would be a nice Winter break, but it ends up being in friggin' Queens! Who knew?
Coulda been worse, could've been in St. Johns Newfoundland....

duke74
01-08-2018, 05:07 PM
We thought the school was in the Virgin Islands and felt it would be a nice Winter break, but it ends up being in friggin' Queens! Who knew?
Coulda been worse, could've been in St. Johns Newfoundland...

"Friggin" Queens...really? :) Thanks, Bud....

Seriously, I thought the home and home series started because K was friends with Mike Jarvis, former coach here. A lapse...now resumed.

duke2x
01-08-2018, 06:13 PM
just be advised that, depending on the venue, sometimes the tickets Duke has are not very good ones. If you're desirous of good seats, you might want to
check around on Stubhub et al, though of course you'll pay more.

I went up to MSG for the 1K in 2015. The seats were remarkably good--lower endzone next to drunken students and the Duke bench.

I didn't get any of the approval e-mails, but I won't be upset if Duke refunds my credit card. Life gets in the way of basketball sometimes. ;)

You could have gotten downstairs for $70 + Ticketmaster fees in November if you wanted them. Upstairs were $45 + Ticketmaster, meaning the Iron Duke seats are probably upstairs and $50/seat cheaper.

weezie
01-08-2018, 06:21 PM
May I be bold and suggest that we figure out some sort of DBR get together here in NYC? I am not an Iron Duke or a member of of DUMAA, so would not be at any sponsored reception, etc.

Absolutely! Pick a bar near MSG and make the announcement here. I'm not going, though, just got tickets for friends. I haven't heard of any ID sponsored receptions in NYC for this game (and they are usually not that great anyway) so I'm sure some folks here would love to say hello at a nearby spot.
Heck, I've been known to stir up a few cheers at bars before Duke games all across this fine country. It's not hard at all!

And to the previous post, the tickets do not look so great. Price was $47 each so that can't be a good sign.

duke74
01-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Absolutely! Pick a bar near MSG and make the announcement here. I'm not going, though, just got tickets for friends. I haven't heard of any ID sponsored receptions in NYC for this game (and they are usually not that great anyway) so I'm sure some folks here would love to say hello at a nearby spot.
Heck, I've been known to stir up a few cheers at bars before Duke games all across this fine country. It's not hard at all!

And to the previous post, the tickets do not look so great. Price was $47 each so that can't be a good sign.

Great idea, Weez. Any of my fellow locals have an idea for a venue? (I'm not a big bar guy....)

budwom
01-09-2018, 10:01 AM
I went up to MSG for the 1K in 2015. The seats were remarkably good--lower endzone next to drunken students and the Duke bench.

I didn't get any of the approval e-mails, but I won't be upset if Duke refunds my credit card. Life gets in the way of basketball sometimes. ;)

You could have gotten downstairs for $70 + Ticketmaster fees in November if you wanted them. Upstairs were $45 + Ticketmaster, meaning the Iron Duke seats are probably upstairs and $50/seat cheaper.

The distinction I believe is based on who controls the tickets. I was at the 1K as well, and all was good. But in some years past when St. Johns has controlled the tickets (home-ish game), they've given
Duke crap tickets, so beware, they could (emphasis) be pretty lousy (as a $47 price tag might indicate).

atoomer0881
01-09-2018, 10:47 AM
The distinction I believe is based on who controls the tickets. I was at the 1K as well, and all was good. But in some years past when St. Johns has controlled the tickets (home-ish game), they've given
Duke crap tickets, so beware, they could (emphasis) be pretty lousy (as a $47 price tag might indicate).

When would St. John's not control the tickets when we're playing them at MSG? Who controlled the tickets for the 1K game?

Neals384
01-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Will keep pounding them as often as possible - payback for 2000.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Will keep pounding them as often as possible - payback for 2000.
As long as no one goes Bootsie on us! LGD GTHc!

budwom
01-09-2018, 12:35 PM
When would St. John's not control the tickets when we're playing them at MSG? Who controlled the tickets for the 1K game?

I guess I'm getting confused about the "1k" terminology...do you mean the 2k? Or the game in which we beat MSU and K became the winningest coach...in those games, I suspect the
featured teams both get a lot of great tickets from whoever runs the thing.

In the case of a basic game between St. Johns and Duke where the Johnnies are the home team, they can give Duke whatever crappy seats they feel like doling out, and they have done just that.
So I'd be en garde for this particular game...

duke2x
01-09-2018, 01:20 PM
I guess I'm getting confused about the "1k" terminology...do you mean the 2k? Or the game in which we beat MSU and K became the winningest coach...in those games, I suspect the
featured teams both get a lot of great tickets from whoever runs the thing.

In the case of a basic game between St. Johns and Duke where the Johnnies are the home team, they can give Duke whatever crappy seats they feel like doling out, and they have done just that.
So I'd be en garde for this particular game...

I'm not sure what happened with the 2015 game. If Duke made it a neutral site game, we would have had 50% of the downstairs tickets at least. If it was a home-home, Duke could have stipulated that ticket block in the contract because there was a chance win #1000 would happen there. SJU was our 8 seed in 2015, but SJU could have been generous because they didn't want empty seats on a national game with Gus Johnson.

If you don't get tickets from Duke, you might be better off. SJU will be around 0.500 in February according to Pomeroy, and you might be able to get downstairs tickets for about $50 each if you live in the area and show up that morning. That doesn't work if you live in RDU, however; you need them in hand.

budwom
01-09-2018, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure what happened with the 2015 game. If Duke made it a neutral site game, we would have had 50% of the downstairs tickets at least. If it was a home-home, Duke could have stipulated that ticket block in the contract because there was a chance win #1000 would happen there. SJU was our 8 seed in 2015, but SJU could have been generous because they didn't want empty seats on a national game with Gus Johnson.

If you don't get tickets from Duke, you might be better off. SJU will be around 0.500 in February according to Pomeroy, and you might be able to get downstairs tickets for about $50 each if you live in the area and show up that morning. That doesn't work if you live in RDU, however; you need them in hand.

I don't agree that Duke would get 50% of the downstairs tickets at a neutral site game, at least not in MSG where all sorts of monetary forces are at work. Lots of swells to be taken care of, not to mention Nike and whoever else is involved...but for sure there are a lot of tickets available, including good ones.
I do recall St. Johns stiffing Duke in the past, so I just thought I'd pass that along...maybe they are more generous now.

DU82
01-18-2018, 04:05 PM
My tickets came today, section 226, which is a corner section upstairs ( but not “blue” seats.)