PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's complaint about Duke's defense is....

DukieInBrasil
01-03-2018, 03:19 PM
lack of rim protection. Seriously, not the volume or make % of 3pt shots, but interior rim protection. Do these guys even watch games? The one loss Duke has on the year, they gave up an astonishing 15 3s, ~55% 3FGs. Vs FSU Duke again gave up an astonishing 15 3FGs on ~48% 3FGs. But 3pt defense doesn't register to them as a big problem? Even though Duke's Wendell Carter had 4 blocked shots vs FSU, Duke's biggest problem is interior rim protection, according to ESPN. Duke is averaging about 5.5 blocks per game, and Carter is averaging 2bpg.
They correctly pointed out that Duke's m2m defense is porous, and that BC just kept rotating until they got the switch they wanted. That says more about Duke's defensive scheme, and the incomprehensible lack of change to the porous D, than it does about Duke's lack of a shotblocker.
Jason Evans has done a nice bit of work putting together numbers showing how historically bad Duke's 3pt defense is this year, yet the geniuses at ESPN have set the record strait, that the problem is really interior defense and the lack of a rim protector.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21943130/the-biggest-hole-national-championship-contender

ed- link is fixed now. FYI, don't bother using the link icon in the top bar of options, just copy and paste the hypertext strait into the comment/post

BandAlum83
01-03-2018, 03:20 PM
lack of rim protection. Seriously, not the volume or make % of 3pt shots, but interior rim protection. Do these guys even watch games? The one loss Duke has on the year, they gave up an astonishing 15 3s, ~55% 3FGs. Vs FSU Duke again gave up an astonishing 15 3FGs on ~48% 3FGs. But 3pt defense doesn't register to them as a big problem? Even though Duke's Wendell Carter had 4 blocked shots vs FSU, Duke's biggest problem is interior rim protection, according to ESPN. Duke is averaging about 5.5 blocks per game, and Carter is averaging 2bpg.
They correctly pointed out that Duke's m2m defense is porous, and that BC just kept rotating until they got the switch they wanted. That says more about Duke's defensive scheme, and the incomprehensible lack of change to the porous D, than it does about Duke's lack of a shotblocker.
Jason Evans has done a nice bit of work putting together numbers showing how historically bad Duke's 3pt defense is this year, yet the geniuses at ESPN have set the record strait, that the problem is really interior defense and the lack of a rim protector.

http://http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21943130/the-biggest-hole-national-championship-contender

Bad link??

uh_no
01-03-2018, 03:32 PM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21943130/the-biggest-hole-national-championship-contender

ed- link is fixed now. FYI, don't bother using the link icon in the top bar of options, just copy and paste the hypertext strait into the comment/post

saw that and was hoping it would get posted too. did a spit-take.

The failure of mentioning the shooting as complicit in the loss to BC is astounding. Made me wonder if anyone actually watched the games.

Bob Green
01-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Do these guys even watch games?

The signal-to-noise ratio at ESPN is very low. A decent article now and then competing with steady noise. The linked article is noise.

BandAlum83
01-03-2018, 03:49 PM
saw that and was hoping it would get posted too. did a spit-take.

The failure of mentioning the shooting as complicit in the loss to BC is astounding. Made me wonder if anyone actually watched the games.

The announcers who are at the games barely watch the games!

thedukelamere
01-03-2018, 03:50 PM
The signal-to-noise ratio at ESPN is very low. A decent article now and then competing with steady noise. The linked article is noise.

Well, they got my click earlier this morning, which unfortunately is all it boils down to anymore, quality be damned. That being said, ours was really the only part that stood out as a head-scratcher in my opinion... Maybe the flaws of other teams are easier to identify based off pure statistical analysis (MSU turnovers, UNCheat leading scorers, etc.)?

Saratoga2
01-03-2018, 04:03 PM

ESPN loves entertainers and not in depth basketball commentary. Hence Vitale and Digger Phelps among the many. They really are losing viewers in my view because of this lack of real interest in reporting what really is happening on the court.

budwom
01-03-2018, 04:10 PM
The announcers who are at the games barely watch the games!

All Hail The Mute Button! When that thing wears out, I buy a new TV, no questions asked.

uh_no
01-03-2018, 04:41 PM
ESPN loves entertainers and not in depth basketball commentary. Hence Vitale and Digger Phelps among the many. They really are losing viewers in my view because of this lack of real interest in reporting what really is happening on the court.

That is part of it. though the fall in cable subscriptions is far more pressing.

Now that their streaming stuff has become less reliable (used to always be super steady....now it's super choppy if you don't have super-speedy-fibre or some such), i'm not sure i'd buy their service even if they did offer it stand alone.

People want choice these days. I'd rather pay to watch olympic sports than whatever ESPN would charge so I can watch a bunch of stuff I wouldn't watch anyway. There are few enough games a year that going to a bar is viable, and probably cheaper in the long run. (what, 9 ACC games plus 3-4 OOC games that are interesting?)

wobatus
01-03-2018, 04:50 PM
Wendell Carter had 4 blocked shots vs FSU, Duke's biggest problem is interior rim protection, according to ESPN. Duke is averaging about 5.5 blocks per game, and Carter is averaging 2bpg.

Rim protection isn't just blocking shots.

That said Duke's problem isn't stopping shots inside the arc (not breaking this down for in close). Opponent 2 point fg% of 44.5 is 43rd in the country. It isn't the Pack Line, though. UVa isn't a shot-blocking machine, although 43rd in block %, but is 5th in the country in opponent non-blocked 2 point fg%, at 47.5%. Michigan State is 1st (they also block shots, 1st in the country). Miami is 4th in opponent non-blocked 3 point FG%, and in the 50s in block %. Northern Iowa is 3rd, even though they are in the 300s among college teams in block %. Duke is 33rd in block % and 73rd in non-blocked 2 point FG% at 51.7%.

So while 2 point % allowed isn't horrific, it isn't as good as the shot blocking might lead you to believe, and 33rd in blocked shots is good but not really elite.

Duke is 221st in opponent 3 point % allowed, but 36% isn't really that egregious, either.

And teams don't really shun going inside against Duke, as they are mid-pack in both opponent 3 point rate and 2 point rate (% of shots taken from 2 or 3).

Where I think Duke suffers is turnovers. They are 303rd in forced turnovers. Not necessarily in and of itself, although it's like chicken soup in reverse. It doesn't help. It does help keep fouls per defensive play down, and with depth issues (albeit somewhat self-inflicted), it does keep guys playing. But I think that is indicative of letting teams set up their offense.

In certain games of course the 3 point FG% allowed can really bite you, and that was BC and FSU. Although against Michigan State, Texas and Indiana the 2 point % allowed was pretty darn high: MSU 22-36 (61%), although Bagley missed most of the game, Texas 26-47 (55%) and Indiana 25-38 (66%). BC doesn't have much of an inside game, especially down their best big, so they of course went 3. Although they weren't godawful from 2 either. 46% for them against a much bigger front line is decent.

ESPN may be a little off but they may mean relatively speaking, Duke isn't as good at protecting the rim as they should be. But I think they main issue is letting opponents run their offense. Sometimes people just make 3s, guarded or not. But although FSU only made about 43% of their 2s (and they often go with Cofer as 6'8" center anyway), they didn't seem uncomfortable, nor did BC.

wavedukefan70s
01-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Fsu is lighting the heels up right now.so we don't look as bad .definitely room for improvement though.

DukieInBrasil
01-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Fsu is lighting the heels up right now.so we don't look as bad .definitely room for improvement though.

BC is getting lit up by Clemson right now, too, at BC. The transitive property of college basketball can be a fickle thing...

53n206
01-03-2018, 08:30 PM

1 point not quite "lighting it up". Now down 2

chrishoke
01-03-2018, 08:47 PM
BC is getting lit up by Clemson right now, too, at BC. The transitive property of college basketball can be a fickle thing...

BC now within one.

UrinalCake
01-03-2018, 09:15 PM
I guess their reasoning is that if we had Dikembe Mutombo under the basket then the other four players could just stand around the perimeter and guard against threes, therefore solving our 3pt defense? Seriously, if I were to list the concerns I have about our team in order of severity, "lack of rim protection" wouldn't even be in the top 100.

WiJoe
01-03-2018, 09:59 PM

or off the court, re: Cheats

DukeDevil
01-03-2018, 10:18 PM

Glad you posted this, I practically did a spit take when I saw that, and asked the same question...did he even WATCH a Duke game?

uh_no
01-03-2018, 10:20 PM
I guess their reasoning is that if we had Dikembe Mutombo under the basket then the other four players could just stand around the perimeter and guard against threes, therefore solving our 3pt defense? Seriously, if I were to list the concerns I have about our team in order of severity, "lack of rim protection" wouldn't even be in the top 100.

to be fair, such a defense could work....but we're a guard-light team...and so we SHOULD be able to be better other ways.

That said, I think K has under-valued rim protection in general over the years. good shot blocking covered a lot of perimeter mistakes at uconn for many years. Obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat.

wobatus
01-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Rim protection isn't just blocking shots.

That said Duke's problem isn't stopping shots inside the arc (not breaking this down for in close). Opponent 2 point fg% of 44.5 is 43rd in the country. It isn't the Pack Line, though. UVa isn't a shot-blocking machine, although 43rd in block %, but is 5th in the country in opponent non-blocked 2 point fg%, at 47.5%. Michigan State is 1st (they also block shots, 1st in the country). Miami is 4th in opponent non-blocked 3 point FG%, and in the 50s in block %. Northern Iowa is 3rd, even though they are in the 300s among college teams in block %. Duke is 33rd in block % and 73rd in non-blocked 2 point FG% at 51.7%.

So while 2 point % allowed isn't horrific, it isn't as good as the shot blocking might lead you to believe, and 33rd in blocked shots is good but not really elite.

Duke is 221st in opponent 3 point % allowed, but 36% isn't really that egregious, either.

And teams don't really shun going inside against Duke, as they are mid-pack in both opponent 3 point rate and 2 point rate (% of shots taken from 2 or 3).

Where I think Duke suffers is turnovers. They are 303rd in forced turnovers. Not necessarily in and of itself, although it's like chicken soup in reverse. It doesn't help. It does help keep fouls per defensive play down, and with depth issues (albeit somewhat self-inflicted), it does keep guys playing. But I think that is indicative of letting teams set up their offense.

In certain games of course the 3 point FG% allowed can really bite you, and that was BC and FSU. Although against Michigan State, Texas and Indiana the 2 point % allowed was pretty darn high: MSU 22-36 (61%), although Bagley missed most of the game, Texas 26-47 (55%) and Indiana 25-38 (66%). BC doesn't have much of an inside game, especially down their best big, so they of course went 3. Although they weren't godawful from 2 either. 46% for them against a much bigger front line is decent.

ESPN may be a little off but they may mean relatively speaking, Duke isn't as good at protecting the rim as they should be. But I think they main issue is letting opponents run their offense. Sometimes people just make 3s, guarded or not. But although FSU only made about 43% of their 2s (and they often go with Cofer as 6'8" center anyway), they didn't seem uncomfortable, nor did BC.

Ok, re-reading it, it's pretty clear that ESPN does equate rim protection with blocking shots. So it's a pretty weak criticism.

JasonEvans
01-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the shout-out... the numbers I have found can be seen in this thread. (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?41072-DBR-Podcast-99-a-discussion-about-3-pointers)

Kedsy
01-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the shout-out... the numbers I have found can be seen in this thread. (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?41072-DBR-Podcast-99-a-discussion-about-3-pointers)

These numbers have also been extensively discussed in the Duke defense thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40707-Tracking-Duke%92s-Defense&p=1023110#post1023110).