PDA

View Full Version : Short quiz -last basket in Carmichael

rthomas
10-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Jason Evans in the Duhon/Alarie vote off pointed out that:

The building, which was originally known as the Student Activities Center before being rechristened the Dean E. Smith Center, actually opened a few games late. The Tar Heels played two "last" games in Carmichael Auditorium--one the season finale for the 1984-85 season and another midway through the 1985-86 campaign. But the delay worked out perfectly, because the Smith Center's debut came with top-ranked Carolina taking on third-ranked Duke.

Duke's Mark Alarie spoiled the suspense surrounding the first basket in the building by making an early hoop, but Warren Martin soon followed with the first Tar Heel two-pointer.

But, who hit the last shot in Carmichael?

EarlJam
10-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Jason Evans in the Duhon/Alarie vote off pointed out that:

But, who hit the last shot in Carmichael?

Jim Valvano? The basketball world still misses him so.

-EarlJam

rthomas
10-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Good answer! You wind da prize.

pamtar
10-23-2007, 08:43 PM
They should still call it the 'SAC.'

YmoBeThere
10-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Another one...first basket in the Dean E. Smith Center?

CameronBlue
10-23-2007, 11:21 PM
The first basket scored in college BB competition and the first for a men's game. As has already pointed out Mark Alarie scored the first basket in a men's game, but I think there was at least one women's game held prior to the Duke-UNC game, involing the Lady Tar Heels. Don't know who was the first in organized competition, maybe Charlotte Smith?

YmoBeThere
10-24-2007, 06:52 AM
The first basket scored in college BB competition and the first for a men's game. As has already pointed out Mark Alarie scored the first basket in a men's game, but I think there was at least one women's game held prior to the Duke-UNC game, involing the Lady Tar Heels. Don't know who was the first in organized competition, maybe Charlotte Smith?

Darn, wasn't paying close enough attention...

merry
10-24-2007, 07:18 AM

When she was 12 or 13 years old?

Olympic Fan
10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I very much doubt that there was a women's game in the Smith Center before the Duke game. I could be wrong, but there was a rush to finish it in time for the Duke game ... they barely made it.

There was a reception on the court on the Friday night before the Duke game (which was played on Saturday afternoon) and while all the guests in their evening dress were toasting the building in champagne workmen were still putting the finishing touches on the building.

So I think it accurate to say Mark Alarie scored the first basket in the Smith Center ... just as a future Duke icon scores the first basket in Reynolds Coliseum.

The Valvano story is a fun one -- but of course he didn't score the last basket in a game. To that end, neither did the player who scored the real last basket (I have no idea who that was) -- the women's team has played hundreds of games in Carmichael since then.

CameronBlue
10-24-2007, 11:22 AM
I very much doubt that there was a women's game in the Smith Center before the Duke game. I could be wrong, but there was a rush to finish it in time for the Duke game ... they barely made it.

There was a reception on the court on the Friday night before the Duke game (which was played on Saturday afternoon) and while all the guests in their evening dress were toasting the building in champagne workmen were still putting the finishing touches on the building.

So I think it accurate to say Mark Alarie scored the first basket in the Smith Center ... just as a future Duke icon scores the first basket in Reynolds Coliseum.

The Valvano story is a fun one -- but of course he didn't score the last basket in a game. To that end, neither did the player who scored the real last basket (I have no idea who that was) -- the women's team has played hundreds of games in Carmichael since then.

You want me to remember everything little thing that happened 20 years ago? Super. Just don't expect a Christmas card from me buddy. I still think there was some sort of official basketball game prior to Duke-UNC. Apparently Charlotte Smith was not involved.

Bluedawg
10-24-2007, 12:26 PM

Are you sure. This is from tarheelblue.com (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/facilities/unc-smith-center.html)

Dedicated in September 1986 as the Dean Edwards Smith Center, the 300,000-square-foot structure stands on seven and one-half acres on the University's south campus. Over 20,000 cubic yards of rock were removed to make room for the 340-foot-wide, 380-foot-long and 140-foot-high building. The first game featured No. 1 Carolina beating No. 3 Duke, 95-92, in a battle of unbeatens on Jan. 18, 1986. The first basket was scored by Carolina center Warren Martin off a pass from Kenny Smith.