PDA

View Full Version : The dunk thread made me think of this: Memorable 3's.

skysdad
01-02-2018, 04:11 PM
There have been some great 3 pointers made from Duke players. Game winners, buzzer beaters, daggers or just one you remember that may have not had any significant bearing on the game. I'm going to use this as mine simply because no one else probably will. Marshall Plumlee's 3 pointer as a junior against Presbyterian. He never attempted one before or since but it was classic. I had a buddy at that game and he has had season tickets for 25 plus years. He told me after Marshall's shot he has never heard Cameron louder. I saw his wonderful smile going down the court and the shot of the bench after he made it. The bench went crazy. I loved it when Marshall did something awesome. Got a man-crush on him. He was a Duke player through and through and no doubt he enjoyed his time at Duke as much as we enjoyed him.

Devilwin
01-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Dockery's shot from just past half court to beat Va Tech...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQ-dlhyfNc

uh_no
01-02-2018, 04:24 PM
* thornton in maui (kansas?)
* dre against baylor
* kelly against miami

camion
01-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Oh wait, I remember one.

It was in San Antonio or was it Austin.

And it had to do with some Rivers. Maybe the Missouri and Mississippi. No that's not it.

Hmm, Austin and Rivers.

It'll come to me. :confused:

I remember it had something to do with 9F.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Bobby Hurley vs. UNLV in 1991. No contest.

ipatent
01-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Second the motion.

Stray Gator
01-02-2018, 04:33 PM
IMO, there have been none bigger for Duke than these three:

1. Bobby Hurley vs. UNLV with 2:17 left in the 1991 National Semifinal.

2. Tyus Jones vs. Wisconsin with 1:25 left in the 2015 National Championship Game.

3. Jason Williams vs. Arizona with 1:47 left in the 2001 National Championship Game.

(And lucky me -- I was present to witness all three of those shots.)

RC73
01-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Dunleavy's three in a row against Arizona in the NCAA finals. One of these, or perhaps a fourth, involved a pass fake that at least three Wildcats fell for.

Also Jon Scheyer, who was in a terrible dry spell, hitting a clutch one late in the ACCT finals in 2010.

arnie
01-02-2018, 05:36 PM

2. Tyus Jones vs. Wisconsin with 1:25 left in the 2015 National Championship Game.

3. Jason Williams vs. Arizona with 1:47 left in the 2001 National Championship Game.

No. 1 above by a mile. Without it, we don’t win our 1st championship.

Hingeknocker
01-02-2018, 05:53 PM
JJ's three to break Johnny Dawkins's Duke scoring record was a great one.

Will second the mention of the career Duke 3P% leader himself, Marshall Plumlee!!!

UrinalCake
01-02-2018, 06:00 PM
I remember Ricky Price hitting a three at the buzzer to beat Maryland at Cole Field House circa 1997. The game isn't one that will register in anyone's memory, but at the time the Duke program was still recovering from the 1995 disaster and trying to become relevant again nationally. We were not at the level where making the tournament was even a guarantee, and Price's big shot was one of the most exciting plays of the season. And it helped fuel the rivalry with Maryland that would continue to build over the next several years, culminating in our title in 2001 and theirs in 2002.

Channing
01-02-2018, 06:09 PM

Followed by the greatest "holy crap I can't believe I just did that" look in the history of CBB. J-Wil's +1 against IU should be on the list if the refs didn't swallow their whistle on the put back :mad::mad::mad::mad: Though recent, Matt Jones against ND in the ACC title game was pretty huge.

Newton_14
01-02-2018, 06:35 PM

I am shocked this was not numero uno in this thread! Folks, I'm sorry but that is the second most important shot in Duke History behind a jumper some dude hit to send us to the Final Four. But that was a two pointer which means Hurley's 3 is the BIGGEST THREE IN DUKE HISTORY and it's not even close.

Those two shots .... heck I can't even begin to describe the importance of them in Duke and Coach K History....

freshmanjs
01-02-2018, 06:53 PM
I am shocked this was not numero uno in this thread! Folks, I'm sorry but that is the second most important shot in Duke History behind a jumper some dude hit to send us to the Final Four. But that was a two pointer which means Hurley's 3 is the BIGGEST THREE IN DUKE HISTORY and it's not even close.

Those two shots ... heck I can't even begin to describe the importance of them in Duke and Coach K History...

People sometimes forget that Laettner did this twice! The one against UCONN was amazing in its own right and should be in discussion of most important Duke shots (although not a 3, so a digression on this thread).

OldPhiKap
01-02-2018, 07:02 PM

First one I though of.

Austin Rivers at UNC second for me, just because. But a wide gap to Bobby’s.

DU82
01-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Those two shots ... heck I can't even begin to describe the importance of them in Duke and Coach K History...

I don't think the second (Laettner '92) happens without the first (Hurley.) It's why it's part of the Duke (Coach K) basketball history video shown before each game. I recall Coach K saying it was the most important shot ever at Duke. (Down five, a big underdog ready to fold with everybody saying "nice try", Hurley comes down court and tells UNLV "Shut the F up, we're here to win.")

arnie
01-02-2018, 07:49 PM
I don't think the second (Laettner '92) happens without the first (Hurley.) It's why it's part of the Duke (Coach K) basketball history video shown before each game. I recall Coach K saying it was the most important shot ever at Duke. (Down five, a big underdog ready to fold with everybody saying "nice try", Hurley comes down court and tells UNLV "Shut the F up, we're here to win.")

And billy packer telling us not to shoot the 3 as Bobby jacks it up.

jacone21
01-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Billy Packer: You don't need a three here.
Hurley: Hold my beer, Billy.

toughbuff1
01-02-2018, 10:07 PM
I remember Ricky Price hitting a three at the buzzer to beat Maryland at Cole Field House circa 1997. The game isn't one that will register in anyone's memory, but at the time the Duke program was still recovering from the 1995 disaster and trying to become relevant again nationally. We were not at the level where making the tournament was even a guarantee, and Price's big shot was one of the most exciting plays of the season. And it helped fuel the rivalry with Maryland that would continue to build over the next several years, culminating in our title in 2001 and theirs in 2002.

It was '96. I was at the game, and sitting behind the bucket Price was shooting at. Cole Field House went from berserk to stunned silence in an instant. It was awesome! Went with my parents, (my dad went to Maryland and my mom went to Duke) and it was quite the car ride home lol.

That win got us to 8-7 in the conference and most likely got us in the tourney (we lost our last acc game to the Cheats to finish 8-8 in conference play).

archand1
01-02-2018, 10:07 PM
This one isn't memorable for most over some of the big shots listed, but this one against UNC resulted in a friend's dog almost attacking me because we went nuts. Seth Curry hits a 3 during UNC at Duke 2011. Cuts the lead 43 to 37, and Cameron goes insane which forces a nervous TO by Roy. After getting beat down in the first half I could feel the basketball gods shining their light on Cameron. So many big plays in that game but I felt that was a huge shot.

UrinalCake
01-02-2018, 11:17 PM
Since the OP did not specify that he was asking for MADE three pointers, I will have to include Gordon Hayward's missed 3/4-court heave at the end of the 2010 title game that hit the backboard and then slammed off the rim. At the risk of hyperbole, I will say that that shot could have completely changed the course of Duke basketball history. If it goes in, not only is K stuck on three titles but he becomes known as the biggest fool in the history of sports to have made Zoubek intentionally miss the preceding free throw. We would STILL be watching highlights of that shot today, it would have eclipsed Laettner's shot as the clip they show over and over again on ESPN, and Duke fans would feel sick every time we saw it. UNC fans would have laughed their heads off, 1000 times more than we do for the Kris Jenkins shot. I legitimately feel like K would have retired at that point.

So, good thing the shot missed.

Steven43
01-02-2018, 11:17 PM
First one I though of. Austin Rivers at UNC is second for me, just because. But a wide gap to Bobby’s.
I almost agree with you, but I would reverse your order. The 3-poInter Rivers hit to beat UNC at the Dean Dome will almost assuredly forever remain #1 for me. Yes, the other shots mentioned in this thread were clearly spectacular and of immense importance in Duke history. However, I will NEVER forget the varied looks of utter shock, total bewilderment, abject despair, and soul-crushing defeat on the previously-smug faces of the Heels fans. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

Ian
01-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Some others that comes to mind:

Tyus Jones's 3 to seal the win against undefeated UVA on the road
Nick Horvath's banked in 3 against Depaul in OT
Nate James' 3 against MD in the FF down 22. It stopped the bleeding and started the comeback.

UrinalCake
01-02-2018, 11:51 PM
Another random three that I'll always remember was JJ Redick leading a 5-on-1 break against BC and choosing to shoot the three rather than passing to any of his teammates for a dunk. It was the perfect F-U moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee6M_YV098I

juise
01-03-2018, 01:32 AM
There are obviously some all-time great shots here. A few others that are iconic for me:

1995 Capel vs. uNC - bittersweet in what was ultimately a loss in a really tough season, but probably the Duke triple I have seen most in my life

2001 miracle minute/“Gone in 60 seconds” - JWill’s back to back 3’s (with a steal sandwiched in there) at College Park

2010 regional final - Nolan hits a 3 to give Duke the lead and slaps hand with K on the way back down the floor

CrazyNotCrazie
01-03-2018, 08:17 AM
I will continue to stand by my original suggestion that Hurley's three was far and away the most important one in Duke history. However, since we are compiling a longer list, though I am not a gambler, I think one must acknowledge Duhon's long three vs UConn in the 2004 national semi that had zero impact on the end result but covered the spread. Millions were won/lost on that shot.

cspan37421
01-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Another random three that I'll always remember was JJ Redick leading a 5-on-1 break against BC and choosing to shoot the three rather than passing to any of his teammates for a dunk. It was the perfect F-U moment.

Towards BC or towards his other 4 fast-breakers?

If he had missed, imagine the wrath of K.

But of course he doesn't miss. Reminds me of the story of someone who cautions him about hard rims in a particular gym. His response? "Don't let your shot hit the rim."

Something like that.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Was Laettner's "Special" shot against UConn (he inbounded sideline in front of the bench, ball passed back to him, hit the bucket at the buzzer to win the game) a three or a long two? Don't remember.

sagegrouse
01-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Was Laettner's "Special" shot against UConn (he inbounded sideline in front of the bench, ball passed back to him, hit the bucket at the buzzer to win the game) a three or a long two? Don't remember.

A two -- he hit a runner from about 12 feet IIRC.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Second the motion.

Fer sher.
Love, Ima

UrinalCake
01-03-2018, 09:59 AM

We had a roughly 80% chance of getting the offensive rebound, so strategically it’s not a bad play to take that shot.

gus
01-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Towards BC or towards his other 4 fast-breakers?

But of course he doesn't miss. Reminds me of the story of someone who cautions him about hard rims in a particular gym. His response? "Don't let your shot hit the rim."

Something like that.

I dunno. Good shots are good shots regardless of outcome. I think he would have heard from K if he didn't shoot the 3 there. He had the green light to shoot any open three, he was unguarded, and had multiple rebounders in position.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Oh wait, I remember one.

It was in San Antonio or was it Austin.

And it had to do with some Rivers. Maybe the Missouri and Mississippi. No that's not it.

Hmm, Austin and Rivers.

It'll come to me. :confused:

I remember it had something to do with 9F.

That was soooo good because it stole a game. We were toast in that game, and had made it maginally interesting in the closing seconds. Seems we much more frequently have a game stolen from us than we steal one.

And Austin's shot was a classic "NO NO NO NO NO YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!"

burnspbesq
01-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Jessica Foley, at the buzzer to beat UConn in Hartford in 2004. Duke trailed by double digits midway through the second half before Alana Beard went off.

uh_no
01-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Jessica Foley, at the buzzer to beat UConn in Hartford in 2004. Duke trailed by double digits midway through the second half before Alana Beard went off.

that one was painful. to date the only time i've seen the uconn women lose.

sagegrouse
01-03-2018, 10:46 AM
That was soooo good because it stole a game. We were toast in that game, and had made it maginally interesting in the closing seconds. Seems we much more frequently have a game stolen from us than we steal one.

And Austin's shot was a classic "NO NO NO NO NO YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!"

Austin's shot was preceded by divine intervention. On a previous possession Tar Heel center Tyler Zeller deflected a Duke pass into the basket -- two points for Duke. While there are many "inadvertent baskets," most are on action around the rim. And, I can't remember any such basket at a critical time in the game.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Austin's shot was preceded by divine intervention. On a previous possession Tar Heel center Tyler Zeller deflected a Duke pass into the basket -- two points for Duke. While there are many "inadvertent baskets," most are on action around the rim. And, I can't remember any such basket at a critical time in the game.

Yup. We had no business being in that game, really, let alone having a chance to win. The vast majority of that game was painful to watch.

But oh, how sweet the ending was.

burnspbesq
01-03-2018, 03:21 PM
that one was painful.

You want painful? I got your painful right here.

Kristi Toliver.

Hingeknocker
01-03-2018, 03:23 PM
You want painful? I got your painful right here.

Kristi Toliver.

I still have no idea how that one went in.

drummerdevil
01-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Still think of Plumlee, of Austin, of Tyus, of that three Grayson hit on his own run in 2015 vs Wisconsin, of Matt Jones. Duke shoots a lot of threes, as it turns out!

burnspbesq
01-03-2018, 05:15 PM
I still have no idea how that one went in.

Hindsight is always 20:20, but Ali should have jumped the second screen and either forced her to reverse or hip-checked her out of bounds. With the best point guard in the country, I’ll take my chances on being able to inbound the ball with a one-point lead and five seconds to play.