PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoff collector thread

JasonEvans
01-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Here is where you can discuss --

How the Pats are cheating cheaters who must lose for there to be justice in the world
How the Pats are pretty certain to continue to win win win so long as Tom Brady is at QB, which will probably be for another 37 years
How the Jags somehow became a playoff team after 59 seasons of being a basement dweller
How the Bills somehow became a playoff team after 59 seasons of being a basement dweller
How the Chiefs looked like world beaters early in the season, but then sucked, but then still make the playoffs and might still be world beaters
How the Steelers live only to avenge their ref-aided loss to the Pats
How the Titans will fare with Derrick Henry at RB

And you can also discuss --

How the Saints suddenly found a good defense and a great running game, but Drew Brees is still da man!
How the Panthers are either poised to turn it on and dominate, or perhaps are poised to die quickly with an offense that seems to consist of Cam Newton's creativity and nothing else
How the Rams somehow became a playoff team after 59 seasons of being a basement dweller
How the Eagles went from Super Bowl lock to major underdog all in the span of one fractured ACL
How the Vikings flew under the radar to be the favorites in the NFC
How the Falcons are still looking to exercise the demons of last season's Super Bowl meltdown by refusing to throw to Julio Jones in the red zone

Or you can also discuss something else...

-Jason "the NFC seems utterly wide open... I can make a strong case for any of these teams making it all the way" Evans

mattman91
01-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Hey Jason,

The Falcons blew a 25 point lead in the Superbowl:o

Olympic Fan
01-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Here is where you can discuss --
How the Pats are cheating cheaters who must lose for there to be justice in the world

Maybe somebody can explain something to me.

In 2014, the Patriots lose their best running backs late in the season and need help at tailback.

Now, there is a back in Pittsburgh who used to play for the Patriots -- LeGarrette Blount (in the first year of a two year contract). He suddenly gets himself kicked off the team (for actions such as leaving the field before the end of the game). He's released by the Steelers, then immediately signs with the Patriots, where he becomes their starting tailback in postseason (the year they beat the Seahawks when Pete Carroll called a pass at the goal line).

This was the postseason of deflategate ... but I always thought the strange case of Blount was more suspicious. Did the Pats tamper with Blount and get him to get himself released by the Steelers, to solve their problem at running back? Bount had a quote at the time that made it sound like the Pats reached out to him BEFORE he was released by the Steelers.

Now we're seeing history repeated. James Harrison asked for (according to several teammates) and gets his release from the Steelers ... then immediately signs with the Pats, where he bolsters a weak pass rush (two sacks in his first game).

It may be that the Patriots are just lucky that the player they need happens to be released by his old team, just in time to solidify their roster going into the playoffs. But interesting that it's happened twice in three years with a player going from the Steelers to the Patriots.

Maybe nothing going on, but when you cheat as much as the Patriots, it raises suspicions.

Kind of like a certain school eight miles down the road, who just hired a new assistant football coach ... one who has been citing by the NCAA for cheating in recruiting ... and was charged with assaulting a female when he was a player at UNC. Could be just giving a former player a second chance, but when you have as dirty a history as the Cheats, it's not unfair to assume the worst (and their football recruiting has dropped off since John "Black Santa" Blake was around).

Wander
01-02-2018, 02:20 PM
How the Jags somehow became a playoff team after 59 seasons of being a basement dweller
How the Bills somehow became a playoff team after 59 seasons of being a basement dweller

Wanted to root for these teams with my own out of the playoffs... bummer that they have to play each other with the winner getting crushed by the (probably) Pats the following week.

BD80
01-02-2018, 02:29 PM
I was going to talk about the Lions, but this is a playoff thread ...

moonpie23
01-02-2018, 02:57 PM
panthers will lose again to the saints...

and yes, it's cam newton's fault...

OldPhiKap
01-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Hey Jason,

The Falcons blew a 25 point lead in the Superbowl:o

I have not watched any pro football this year, and it has nothing to do with a boycott. It has to do with this.

Literally, “too soon.”

Highlander
01-03-2018, 10:14 AM
panthers will lose again to the saints...

and yes, it's cam newton's fault...

I'm still scratching my head a bit at how the Panthers managed to win 11 games with this offense. They have one receiver who's in the top 50, and a rather pedestrian RB who's past his prime in Stewart. They seemed set at WR when they traded Benjamin, but have now lost two rookie WR's to IR and are down to their practice squad guy at #2 (Bersin). Most of the season they were without their all pro TE. Cam's passing numbers have been off, but he has returned to form running the ball. Their only other bright spot has been McCaffrey whose versatility has caused matchup problems, but has not been a dominant playmaker.

The defense has been very good, although not nearly as good as it was 2 years ago. They haven't produced a ton of turnovers or sacks.

Special Teams? Gano has been near perfect and the Panthers finally had a viable punt returner, only to lose him to IR 2 weeks after he broke out.

I don't see a plausible scenario where the Panthers play well enough to beat the Saints, unless the Saints beat themselves with turnovers. Panthers are a good team who have won 2-3 games they probably should have lost and only lost 1 they should have won (Chicago). Their success or failure depends almost exclusively on Cam's ability to make tough, accurate passes when it counts. And that has never been a particular strength of his. Throw into the mix that NO has a high octane offense that will put up at least 24 points, and I think it's unlikely Carolina keeps up.

I expect NO to crowd the line, slide safety help towards Fuchess's side, and jam Olsen off the line to throw off the timing. They will essentially dare Carolina to beat them with Bersin and McCaffrey.

elvis14
01-03-2018, 10:27 AM
I was going to talk about the Lions, but this is a playoff thread ...

I was going to talk about the Redskins, but this is a playoff thread...

DUKIECB
01-03-2018, 11:07 AM
I'm still scratching my head a bit at how the Panthers managed to win 11 games with this offense. They have one receiver who's in the top 50, and a rather pedestrian RB who's past his prime in Stewart. They seemed set at WR when they traded Benjamin, but have now lost two rookie WR's to IR and are down to their practice squad guy at #2 (Bersin). Most of the season they were without their all pro TE. Cam's passing numbers have been off, but he has returned to form running the ball. Their only other bright spot has been McCaffrey whose versatility has caused matchup problems, but has not been a dominant playmaker.

The defense has been very good, although not nearly as good as it was 2 years ago. They haven't produced a ton of turnovers or sacks.

Special Teams? Gano has been near perfect and the Panthers finally had a viable punt returner, only to lose him to IR 2 weeks after he broke out.

I don't see a plausible scenario where the Panthers play well enough to beat the Saints, unless the Saints beat themselves with turnovers. Panthers are a good team who have won 2-3 games they probably should have lost and only lost 1 they should have won (Chicago). Their success or failure depends almost exclusively on Cam's ability to make tough, accurate passes when it counts. And that has never been a particular strength of his. Throw into the mix that NO has a high octane offense that will put up at least 24 points, and I think it's unlikely Carolina keeps up.

I expect NO to crowd the line, slide safety help towards Fuchess's side, and jam Olsen off the line to throw off the timing. They will essentially dare Carolina to beat them with Bersin and McCaffrey.This is a good analysis and echoes my thoughts about Carolina's chances as well. Essentially there's almost no one left for Cam to throw the ball to. In my opinion Byrd's injury was huge because he was starting to emerge as another threat and a speedy one at that. It's not like you need 3 or 4 receivers to be effective, since we have a good TE in Olsen and a back who can catch passes in McCaffrey we just need Funchess to step up and be that #1 receiver. He's shown flashes but has been inconsistent.

Shula has got to come up with some effective ways to get some high percentage throws for Cam and then hope the combination of Stewart/McCaffrey/Newton produce a good overall rushing attack to eat up the clock and keep the NO offense off the field.

I think we will play better and the game will come down to who wins the turnover battle and special teams. If the defense can create a couple takeaways or we get a kick or punt return that leads to some easy points I think we can win. Of course you could say the same thing about most any matchup in the NFL so what do I know?

Mal
01-03-2018, 03:30 PM
I will never, ever be an optimist when it comes to the Vikings, but I have noticed that they won 13 games and Carson Wentz is out, so despite not having home field advantage, they're probably the favorite on paper in the NFC, in a season in which the Super Bowl is in Minneapolis. That's a fairly remarkable alignment of stars just 18 months after the catastrophic injury to Bridgewater. Which means it won't happen, of course, because Minnesota Vikings. Still.

They've beaten New Orleans and Atlanta already this season and gave up their highest point total of the season in a loss to Carolina, so despite people's downgrading of the Panthers above, I'd still rather see the Saints. There's still some residual grudge, at least among Vikings fans, for the dirty play of New Orleans 9 or 10 years ago or whenever when they were targeting in the NFC championship game, in Gregg Williams's first season there but a couple years before the bounty scandal surfaced.

Also pulling for the Falcons, because the Rams look pretty scary. It would be interesting to see the top scoring team in the NFL go up against the team that's given up the fewest points in the NFL, I guess.

JasonEvans
01-03-2018, 03:55 PM
I will never, ever be an optimist when it comes to the Vikings, but I have noticed that they won 13 games and Carson Wentz is out, so despite not having home field advantage, they're probably the favorite on paper in the NFC, in a season in which the Super Bowl is in Minneapolis.

Yup, they are a pretty strong favorite in the NFC.

https://image.ibb.co/kto1bb/Capture.jpg

-Jason "NFC is much more wide open than the AFC, where 2 teams are seen as not really having a chance" Evans

Mal
01-03-2018, 08:06 PM

9/2 to win it all? Those odds are way too low.

This is the Minnesota Vikings. The team that lost 4 SB's in 8 years. That's lost 5 other NFC title games. The franchise that's seen 29, that's twenty-nine, playoff appearances without a Super Bowl trophy. 9 times in the final four teams without pulling it off. The team that suffered the Drew Pearson Hail Mary. The team that sold its soul to bring in the face of its greatest rival only to see him all-too-predictably throw an ill-advised pick in the last minute of an NFC Championship Game. The team that lost another NFC Championship Game when its kicker, who had not missed a single field goal all season, missed a chip shot to win it after the team had set an NFL record for points scored in a season.

You want to know the absolute perfect symbol of the Minnesota Vikings' quest to win a Super Bowl? Watch this from the 38-second mark until the 52-second mark: disaster before it even got started...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOrY23eZQ38

The Vikings are the pre-2004 Red Sox and the pre-2016 Cubs of the NFL. 9/2 odds to win it all, my patootie.

The only thing working in Vikings fans' favor, karmically speaking, is that Prince is now playing halftime shows for the angels every day up in the eternal rafters. Perhaps the power(s) that be up there will look kindly upon us in pity for having selfishly taken him too soon.

But I definitely wouldn't bet on it.

elvis14
01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Looking at the list of playoff teams, I'm hoping for an entertaining playoff run. Hopefully someone other than the Pats and Steelers can win (they have both won recently and I prefer underdogs...except Duke Hoops).

The Vikings with Keenum make a great story.
Same for the Eagles with Foles, but losing Wentz really hurt them.
The Saints running the ball? What?
Jags, Rams, Titans, Bills in the playoffs? Don't talk to me about playoffs? Playoffs? Would be so cool for those teams to win a few games.
Atlanta's time was last year. Losing their OC to SF did them in before the season even started
The Chiefs peaked around week 5
And lets face it, the Panthers could beat anyone....and they could lose to the Browns

Wow, after looking at that list of teams, Pats fans have to be geeked

DUKIECB
01-04-2018, 11:57 AM
And lets face it, the Panthers could beat anyone...and they could lose to the Browns

Wow, after looking at that list of teams, Pats fans have to be geekedAs a Panthers fan and a Patriots hater, unfortunately both of these statements are true.

DukieInKansas
01-07-2018, 04:59 AM
The chefs showed up for the second half. Bad sports day in my house.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2018, 08:07 AM
Falcons won, enlarging the soufflé for future collapse.

JasonEvans
01-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Falcons won, enlarging the soufflé for future collapse.

Winning a playoff game is a fine season for any NFL team. It is all gravy from here.

That said, I really like our chances against the Carson-less Eagles. This Falcons D is set up to be among the best in the league for many years to come. We just utterly flummoxed the best offense in football yesterday and we have a kicker who is automatic from anything inside of 55. Oh, and we actually threw the ball to Julio in the red zone!!

-Jason "I think the Falcons have a chance to not rip our hearts out this season ;) " Evans

OldPhiKap
01-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Winning a playoff game is a fine season for any NFL team. It is all gravy from here.

That said, I really like our chances against the Carson-less Eagles. This Falcons D is set up to be among the best in the league for many years to come. We just utterly flummoxed the best offense in football yesterday and we have a kicker who is automatic from anything inside of 55. Oh, and we actually threw the ball to Julio in the red zone!!

-Jason "I think the Falcons have a chance to not rip our hearts out this season ;) " Evans

Hope is a dangerous thing, my friend . . . .

I have watched little NFL football this year,cand it has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with the second half of last year’s Super Bowl. Still hurts.

I won’t say that I am off the bandwagon, mind you. Just riding with my eyes mostly shut until the last few weeks.

DUKIECB
01-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Typical Panthers. Dropped pass in the end zone, then miss a chip shot field goal and 30 seconds later give up an 80 yard touchdown. Ugh

RPS
01-07-2018, 06:10 PM
I won’t say that I am off the bandwagon, mind you. Just riding with my eyes mostly shut until the last few weeks.I was going to talk about the San Diego Chargers, but that would require that I talk about refusing to cow-tow to plutocratic welfare...which is PPB stuff.

I am off the bandwagon entirely.

kshepinthehouse
01-08-2018, 03:43 AM
Thoughts on the intentional grounding call against Cam? I’m still not sure.

Also Mike Adams should have knocked down that interception but by the NFL rules that wasn’t a catch. Disappointed there wasn’t a review on that play, or at least there didn’t seem to be.

JasonEvans
01-08-2018, 12:21 PM
by the NFL rules that wasn’t a catch.

What is and isn't a catch when a guy goes to the ground is going to kill the NFL. The league truly seems unable to come to a reasonable conclusion.

elvis14
01-08-2018, 02:08 PM
What is and isn't a catch when a guy goes to the ground is going to kill the NFL. The league truly seems unable to come to a reasonable conclusion.

The thing that bothered me about the no-catch that gifted that game to the Pats was that the player wasn't just falling. He had caught the ball and made a football move to extend into the end zone. Had he just fell down without making a move that required 100% control of the caught ball....

DUKIECB
01-08-2018, 02:52 PM
The thing that bothered me about the no-catch that gifted that game to the Pats was that the player wasn't just falling. He had caught the ball and made a football move to extend into the end zone. Had he just fell down without making a move that required 100% control of the caught ball...I agree with this 100% and it was my contention all along that once he made that football move it proved he had possession of the ball and therefore when it crossed the goal line in the air the play was over.

JasonEvans
01-08-2018, 03:10 PM

https://image.ibb.co/kto1bb/Capture.jpg

-Jason "NFC is much more wide open than the AFC, where 2 teams are seen as not really having a chance" Evans

Updated odds:

https://image.ibb.co/fNSZmm/Capture.png

The Eagles didn't play... 2 other teams lost and were eliminated... and yet the Eagles odds tumbled a good bit. I wonder how much of that is optimism about the way the Falcons looked (the D looks frighteningly good right now) and how much is just folks souring more and more on Nick Foles.

BeachBlueDevil
01-08-2018, 03:19 PM
What a bad day it was Saturday. Chiefs blow a 21-3 lead and Duke lost a couple hours later. Last time I had a sports day this bad was Jan 4th, Chiefs lost to the Colts 45-44 and then Duke took a 2 pt loss from Notre Dame later in the day. Now both times I've disengaged from sports altogether for a few days to cope with both and I wouldn't visit sports sites or check scores and I'd fill my time with other things. However, today is the day I return and deal with both.

This Chiefs team was an odd one. A lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball with Hunt, Kelce and Hill. Add in Smith who had a career year and they looked like they could beat anyone especially after taking out the Patriots in a dominate fashion week 1. Then after week 5 you started to see the cracks, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Did teams start to gameplan for them offensively, yes. But they figured that out the last 5 weeks of the regular season after Reid gave up play calling to Nagy (now the Beard head coach).

Saturday's playoff game was a microcosm of the Chiefs season. Come out in the first half and look like a team that could beat anyone with firepower to go blow for blow with New England and Pittsburgh. Then the second half comes around and they look like the team with a terrible defense and struggled on the offensive side of the ball because the other team figured them out. Sure, Kelce went down but they still had Hunt and Hill. However no effort seemed to me made to get them the ball as the defense wilted and after the Mariota pass that he caught himself for a touchdown it broke their backs. It was a 7 plus minute drive and it looked like they might hold them to 3. Alas, it didn't happen.

On to next year with Mahome more than likely under center and some changes on the defensive side of the ball (Hali gone and possibly Johnson). I just hope as fan the Chiefs stop being the postseason version of the Cleveland Browns.

DukieInKansas
01-08-2018, 05:03 PM
What a bad day it was Saturday. Chiefs blow a 21-3 lead and Duke lost a couple hours later. Last time I had a sports day this bad was Jan 4th, Chiefs lost to the Colts 45-44 and then Duke took a 2 pt loss from Notre Dame later in the day. Now both times I've disengaged from sports altogether for a few days to cope with both and I wouldn't visit sports sites or check scores and I'd fill my time with other things. However, today is the day I return and deal with both.

This Chiefs team was an odd one. A lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball with Hunt, Kelce and Hill. Add in Smith who had a career year and they looked like they could beat anyone especially after taking out the Patriots in a dominate fashion week 1. Then after week 5 you started to see the cracks, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Did teams start to gameplan for them offensively, yes. But they figured that out the last 5 weeks of the regular season after Reid gave up play calling to Nagy (now the Beard head coach).

Saturday's playoff game was a microcosm of the Chiefs season. Come out in the first half and look like a team that could beat anyone with firepower to go blow for blow with New England and Pittsburgh. Then the second half comes around and they look like the team with a terrible defense and struggled on the offensive side of the ball because the other team figured them out. Sure, Kelce went down but they still had Hunt and Hill. However no effort seemed to me made to get them the ball as the defense wilted and after the Mariota pass that he caught himself for a touchdown it broke their backs. It was a 7 plus minute drive and it looked like they might hold them to 3. Alas, it didn't happen.

On to next year with Mahome more than likely under center and some changes on the defensive side of the ball (Hali gone and possibly Johnson). I just hope as fan the Chiefs stop being the postseason version of the Cleveland Browns.

This year was the '80s all over again with the added "bonus" of a first round play-off loss. They suckered us into renewing season tickets during the 80s - get off to a great start - this is the year, tank in the middle - talk about giving up the season tickets, finish the year with wins - next year is the year. This play-off loss made them lose the Capital C and the I - they are once again the chefs. (Finally gave up the tickets when our cost per seat per game went to $250 - plus my dad had passed away and sister and brother-in-law moved out of town.)

I had a bad week - cheered for Clemson on Monday and the Bills on Sunday, too. At least the Jayhawks won, which made my siblings happy.

BeachBlueDevil
01-09-2018, 09:16 AM
This year was the '80s all over again with the added "bonus" of a first round play-off loss. They suckered us into renewing season tickets during the 80s - get off to a great start - this is the year, tank in the middle - talk about giving up the season tickets, finish the year with wins - next year is the year. This play-off loss made them lose the Capital C and the I - they are once again the chefs. (Finally gave up the tickets when our cost per seat per game went to $250 - plus my dad had passed away and sister and brother-in-law moved out of town.)

I had a bad week - cheered for Clemson on Monday and the Bills on Sunday, too. At least the Jayhawks won, which made my siblings happy.

Pretty good business model they have there. Should be an interesting offseason now.. Nagy gone, read somewhere that Sutton isn't coming back and Childress retired. Will be interesting to see where they go from here and until they win a playoff game at home/make at least make the AFC Championship game, they are indeed the chefs.

DukieInKansas
01-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Pretty good business model they have there. Should be an interesting offseason now.. Nagy gone, read somewhere that Sutton isn't coming back and Childress retired. Will be interesting to see where they go from here and until they win a playoff game at home/make at least make the AFC Championship game, they are indeed the chefs.

Yep, we got suckered in for many years but spending the afternoon with our dad was the best part of it.

chris13
01-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Yep, we got suckered in for many years but spending the afternoon with our dad was the best part of it.

The loss is my fault. I have a nostalgic tie to the Chiefs because my late brother was a huge fan. I stopped watching at half time because I had a dinner engagement.

Chiefs are gonna Chief, and they Chiefed in about the most Chief like, Andy Reid directed way possible. Alex Smith was not the problem this year. They need to rebuild the defense and start over with Mahomes even though Alex Smith was not the probelm.

JasonEvans
01-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Is it too soon to fire Steve Sarkesian? With no meaningful personnel changes, the #1 offense in all of football became barely average. 10 points in a playoff game... are you kidding me? And that last play... the most important play of the entire season... was a total mess. No chance for success there.

Good luck to the Eagles. They are probably my favorite remaining team and they deserve a title after so many disappointments.

BD80
01-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Is it too soon to fire Steve Sarkesian? With no meaningful personnel changes, the #1 offense in all of football became barely average. 10 points in a playoff game... are you kidding me? And that last play... the most important play of the entire season... was a total mess. No chance for success there.

Good luck to the Eagles. They are probably my favorite remaining team and they deserve a title after so many disappointments.

Julio Jones is not the #1 receiver on the team and certainly is not one of the top receivers in football. He had chances to make winning plays, but couldn't get it done.

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2018, 11:54 AM

to move on from Sarkesian? Does anyone really think the Falcons will after only one season? As a USC season ticket holder I never thought he was the offensive genius that others did. The 10 points the Falcons got came after turnovers.

I do wonder if the fans in Atlanta wanted a penalty on the last pass. As a lifelong Eagles fan I loved the no call and it was probably the right call but wondered what the take is on Atlanta.

SoCal

JNort
01-14-2018, 12:00 PM
to move on from Sarkesian? Does anyone really think the Falcons will after only one season? As a USC season ticket holder I never thought he was the offensive genius that others did. The 10 points the Falcons got came after turnovers.

I do wonder if the fans in Atlanta wanted a penalty on the last pass. As a lifelong Eagles fan I loved the no call and it was probably the right call but wondered what the take is on Atlanta.

SoCal

Well I hate Atlanta and imo that was pass interference. The first time Julio fell it was a good no call but the 2nd time it was because Mills pushed him down..

JNort
01-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Julio Jones is not the #1 receiver on the team and certainly is not one of the top receivers in football. He had chances to make winning plays, but couldn't get it done.

I certainly hope that was said in jest... I don't even like Julio but at worst you can say he's the 3rd or 4th best wr in all of football. Easily the best on his team.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Steelers getting boat raced in the first quarter. Beat in every aspect of the game. There's plenty of time to get it together, but geez.

Feels like this season is the end of an era... Broncos, Giants, Steelers, Seahawks... Doors is closing quickly or already slammed shut. Packers get a situational pass.

JasonEvans
01-14-2018, 02:19 PM
to move on from Sarkesian? Does anyone really think the Falcons will after only one season?

Sark has had very few supporters in Atlanta since about the middle of the season, if not earlier. I think the fans want him gone in a big big way. I don't know any Falcons fans who want him back.

But, while the emotional fan in me says to cut him loose, the rational person says that may be a bad move. I expect the team will not react in such a knee-jerk fashion and will give him another season. In fairness, it does take some time for an OC to establish what he wants the offense to do. Two years ago, in his first season on the job, Kyle Shanahan was OC for what was Matt Ryan's worst season at QB in 7 seasons. The Falcons looked pretty darn lost on offense, #21 in all of football. The next year, they were #1 with a bullet.

-Jason "offense takes time to gel, at least that is what the Sark supporters out there would probably say" Evans

Wander
01-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Feels like this season is the end of an era... Broncos, Giants, Steelers, Seahawks... Doors is closing quickly or already slammed shut. Packers get a situational pass.

Seems like things change very quickly in the NFL... unless you're the Pats. Or the Browns.

JasonEvans
01-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Or the Browns.

The Browns continued ineptitude is pretty remarkable. The last time they won their division was 1989. They haven't even made the playoffs since 2002. They've been in last place in their division for 7 straight years and 9 of the past 10. You'd think they'd at least get lucky in the draft enough to make it some time. Whew...

Meanwhile, the Pats have won their division 9 years in a row and 14 of the past 15 years. They've made the playoffs every season since 2003. Put another way, if you are under 30, you probably can't even remember a season where the Pats didn't make the playoffs. That's just silly.

-Jason "the fact that the Browns and Pats aren't in the same division seems remarkable" Evans

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-14-2018, 03:43 PM
Seems like things change very quickly in the NFL... unless you're the Pats. Or the Browns.

That's why in-game posting is dicey.

OldPhiKap
01-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Vikings, wow. Big screw-up by New Orleans’ safety.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Vikings, wow. Big screw-up by New Orleans’ safety.
He missed so badly that I thought he might have done it on purpose. Just god awful defense there. Wow.

Wander
01-14-2018, 08:24 PM
He missed so badly that I thought he might have done it on purpose. Just god awful defense there. Wow.

Yeah, it looked like he actively DODGED the receiver. I feel bad for him for how awful it looks.

They need to make a new season of HIMYM just so I can see Marshall Eriksen's reaction.

OldPhiKap
01-14-2018, 08:31 PM

. . . AND he took the other defender out trailing the receiver.

Lousy way to lose the game.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-14-2018, 08:32 PM

I think he was afraid to hit him early and get called for pass interference but instead he ended up looking ridiculous. I kept wondering if Diggs would go out to set up the field goal and stop the clock until I realized he had an easy path to the end zone. What an ending.

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2018, 08:37 PM
I think he was afraid to hit him early and get called for pass interference but instead he ended up looking ridiculous. I kept wondering if Diggs would go out to set up the field goal and stop the clock until I realized he had an easy path to the end zone. What an ending.

just back off and tackle and maybe you can sit on him long enough to let the clock run out.

SoCal

JasonEvans
01-14-2018, 09:03 PM
How did Nawlins not have, I dunno, 4 guys standing on the goal line on that play? How was that safety (Marcus Williams) the last guy left between Diggs and the end zone?

And I thought Julio letting a ball go thru his hands was a cruel way to lose...

brevity
01-14-2018, 09:38 PM
I don't concentrate on the NFL, now that I live in an NFL city. So I was amused to find myself at a restaurant today while many patrons were watching the TV, yelling "Who Dat" every few minutes, and loudly celebrating any first down. I timed it just right so that I was leaving while they were still stunned but before they got angry.

The ending was kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VozYsGlAeO8

By the way, based on the results, it seems easy to predict every winner in these playoffs. Just pick the team that the Patriots would rather face.

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Point spread was Vikings giving 5 1/2.
Rather than kick the "meaningless" extra point, Vikings took a knee.
So Vikings did not cover. Saints bettors win.

Maybe a reason to bet the money line.

SoCal

elvis14
01-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Fundamentals. Keep your head up, see what you hit, wrap up. Saints safety 0 fer 3. Plus he took out the CB, the only player who would have had a chance to catch the receiver. Wow, harkens back to the Bronco's safety wiffing a few years ago and stopping P.Manning's playoff run. Someone asked why the Safety was the only guy between the WR and goal line...the answer is simply in the name of the positon, Safety. His job on that play is to be deeper than the deepest WR and to break on the ball. He was plenty deep, in perfect position...right before be became a meme.

Tripping William
01-15-2018, 08:45 AM
I don't concentrate on the NFL, now that I live in an NFL city. So I was amused to find myself at a restaurant today while many patrons were watching the TV, yelling "Who Dat" every few minutes, and loudly celebrating any first down. I timed it just right so that I was leaving while they were still stunned but before they got angry.

The ending was kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VozYsGlAeO8

By the way, based on the results, it seems easy to predict every winner in these playoffs. Just pick the team that the Patriots would rather face.

Reminds me of certain reactions after the Austin Rivers shot .....

thedukelamere
01-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Reminds me of certain reactions after the Austin Rivers shot ...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FeminineThankfulFantail-small.gif

budwom
01-15-2018, 09:58 AM
yet another great day for the mute button. I turned on the sound briefly for the Pitt-Jax game (I don't follow the NFL closely at all, thought I might learn a few things) and
within the first five minutes I got to hear Dan Fouts refer to Jacksonville as the "Jagwires" at least four times so away he went...good day for the Jagwires, made the Stoolers look incompetent at times...

YmoBeThere
01-15-2018, 10:20 AM

SoCal

I bet on us on Saturday, the line was 17 pts so no money line was offered.

The oddsmakers got the Vikings-Saints lines right, O/U also but were wildly off on Jacksonville-Pittsburgh.

CDu
01-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Blake Bortles, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, and Tom Brady. Yep.

rsvman
01-15-2018, 11:31 AM

LOL.

I'll take Keenum over Foles, please.

JasonEvans
01-15-2018, 11:42 AM

https://image.ibb.co/cCBQK6/Capture.png

budwom
01-15-2018, 02:00 PM

SoCal

It's amazing how often beating the spread comes down to a final, utterly (otherwise) meaningless play. On Saturday I think Duke was favored by 16.5,
had an 18 point lead with second left and Wake had the ball with lots of scrubs on the floor....pointless moment for most, crucial moment for bettors.

JasonEvans
01-15-2018, 02:21 PM
This picture... poor Marcus Williams may never live this down.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--yX6eliwq--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/qw2af5k9vghpw36icchj.jpg

thedukelamere
01-15-2018, 02:30 PM
This would have made more sense than what actually happened.

RPS
01-16-2018, 06:59 PM
I can't seem to embed this video (https://twitter.com/cgdeaton/status/952720761474740229), but it's great. It provides Vin Scully's call of the "Buckner play" in the 1986 World Series ( a game I attended, by the way) over the video of the final play of the Vikings epic win Sunday.

Blue in the Face
01-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Just a PSA for you guys - I don't know how many DBR'ers own shops or businesses in Philadelphia, but those who do are advised by the local police district to make sure you have "grates locked and secured in order to protect your property" this Sunday. If you have security cameras, they suggest you make sure they're on.

Rock on Eagles fans, rock on.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/philly-police-issue-warning-to-businesses-concerning-nfc-title-game-celebrations/

JasonEvans
01-19-2018, 12:05 PM
The over under for the Eagles-Vikes game is 39. While these two teams are capable of playing a very low scoring game, I’d hop all over the over at that number. If there is one pick 6 or return TD, that’s 20% of the line!

moonpie23
01-19-2018, 07:40 PM
anyone falling for the "brady's hand is hurt" please send money to my paypal account.

kshepinthehouse
01-19-2018, 08:41 PM
anyone falling for the "brady's hand is hurt" please send money to my paypal account.

No bitcoins for you?

moonpie23
01-19-2018, 09:32 PM
No bitcoins for you?

i accept bitcoin

Reilly
01-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Just a PSA for you guys - I don't know how many DBR'ers own shops or businesses in Philadelphia, but those who do are advised by the local police district to make sure you have "grates locked and secured in order to protect your property" this Sunday. If you have security cameras, they suggest you make sure they're on ... [/url]

Makes sense: Maryland has lost 2 of 3, and is only 2 hours from Philadelphia ... probably most important to make sure the sprinkler system is working.

cato
01-21-2018, 04:22 PM
I guess I’m not up on NFL rules. No ejection for Church on that helmet first hit on Gronk?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-21-2018, 04:27 PM
I guess I’m not up on NFL rules. No ejection for Church on that helmet first hit on Gronk?

I would not be surprised if the gameplan was to get Gronk or Brady into concussion protocol given the opportunity. Football is a rough sport.

cato
01-21-2018, 04:40 PM
I would not be surprised if the gameplan was to get Gronk or Brady into concussion protocol given the opportunity. Football is a rough sport.

Oh, absolutely. But in college that’s an ejection, right? Just a personal foul in the NFL?

Blue in the Face
01-21-2018, 04:56 PM
Oh, absolutely. But in college that’s an ejection, right? Just a personal foul in the NFL?
Yes, that play should get an ejection in college, but not the NFL.

cato
01-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Yes, that play should get an ejection in college, but not the NFL.

The college rule is better. If the cost of knocking someone out of the game is just a personal foul, that is all the more tempting for a player/team to do.

cato
01-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Also, what goes around come back to Gronk

nmduke2001
01-21-2018, 05:44 PM
When Jacks made that strip fumble, he recovered and was not touched. He got up and ran but the ref blew the whistle. If they let that play go, Jack scores a TD. Bad break.

moonpie23
01-21-2018, 06:40 PM
bl;eah.......pats again.....

ncexnyc
01-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Maybe Eli does deserve some credit for the Giants two Super Bowl wins over the Pats.

kshepinthehouse
01-21-2018, 09:05 PM
Eagles putting a hurtin on Vikings. I’m definitely surprised by this.

elvis14
01-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Eagles putting a hurtin on Vikings. I’m definitely surprised by this.

Same here. I wasn't sure who was going to win but I thought these were 2 somewhat evenly matched teams. The Saints had to be watching and just shaking their heads...

tteettimes
01-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Early line....NE 5.5 fav

Troublemaker
01-21-2018, 11:00 PM
I think the Vikes were hungover from their emotional win last week. I saw an interview with Keenum on Wednesday in which he said that he hadn't been able to sleep since the miracle win over the Saints. I was like, "Umm, don't you have another game coming up in a few days?"

Nonetheless, the Eagles played great. Congrats to them.

DU82
01-21-2018, 11:24 PM
Patriots-Eagles? It’s beautiful and only two years old, but I will root for the roof of US Bank Stadium to collapse.

(Tom, you’re pretty good and you have a nice looking wife, but you still haven’t beaten Eli when it counts.)

brevity
01-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Patriots-Eagles? It’s beautiful and only two years old, but I will root for the roof of US Bank Stadium to collapse.

I can't believe you said that. How awful. We need that building structurally intact for the 2019 Final Four (http://finalfourminneapolis.com/)!

Priorities.

moonpie23
01-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Brady's buddy gets first "congrats" in..... (https://nypost.com/2018/01/21/ref-congratulates-tom-brady-for-conspiracy-theory-gold/)

rsvman
01-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Jags threw it away like UGa in the college national championship game.

I had to turn off the Iggles game. Just too ugly.