PDA

View Full Version : Football Staff changes

ehdg
12-31-2017, 04:12 PM
Any ideas on if n when we might hear from Coach Cut on staff changes taking place, specifically hoping for a change in the OC.

budwom
12-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Any ideas on if n when we might hear from Coach Cut on staff changes taking place, specifically hoping for a change in the OC.

I think the football coaches convention is Jan 7-10, and that's the time when glasses are clinked, cocktail wieners abound, and coaches play musical chairs. I hope Cut make
a few important moves...

OldPhiKap
12-31-2017, 04:55 PM
Is O-line coach the only opening we have at the moment? Recognizing that more may open as new coaches build new staffs and assistants seek other pastures nationally.

I do not expect any change at OC, and thought the calls the last three games (GT, Wake, NIU) was pretty good on balance. Do not know how Daniel’s injuries impacted the play-calling during our swoon although I understand the unhappiness with what appear to be questionable play calling.

We scored 110 points in those last three games, two of which we were Vegas underdogs and one we were only about 5.5 favorites. We won by 23, 8, and 22 respectively while our defense did essentially what they did all year. (gave up 20, 23, and 14 respectively).

duke2x
12-31-2017, 07:44 PM
All P5 schools can add an assistant coach next year. It will be up to Cut to decide how he wants to juggle his staff for the extra opening.

Avvocato
01-01-2018, 09:23 AM
All P5 schools can add an assistant coach next year. It will be up to Cut to decide how he wants to juggle his staff for the extra opening.

Can I vote for a kicking coach?

budwom
01-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Is O-line coach the only opening we have at the moment? Recognizing that more may open as new coaches build new staffs and assistants seek other pastures nationally.

I do not expect any change at OC, and thought the calls the last three games (GT, Wake, NIU) was pretty good on balance. Do not know how Daniel’s injuries impacted the play-calling during our swoon although I understand the unhappiness with what appear to be questionable play calling.

We scored 110 points in those last three games, two of which we were Vegas underdogs and one we were only about 5.5 favorites. We won by 23, 8, and 22 respectively while our defense did essentially what they did all year. (gave up 20, 23, and 14 respectively).

I don't know for sure, but I've heard several places that Cutcliffe took over a lot more playcalling after the Army debacle...can't verify that, but I'm still hopeful we see a new OC.

devildeac
01-01-2018, 10:29 AM
I don't know for sure, but I've heard several places that Cutcliffe took over a lot more playcalling after the Army debacle...can't verify that, but I'm still hopeful we see a new OC.

Someone (with supposed/alleged "insider" info) posted that here. Prior to that, our younger son-in-law (former FB manager) said Cut never called plays. Never. Something may/must have changed. And, if true, rightfully so.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Someone (with supposed/alleged "insider" info) posted that here. Prior to that, our younger son-in-law (former FB manager) said Cut never called plays. Never. Something may/must have changed. And, if true, rightfully so.

I’ve heard these too. But not holding my breath.

We shall see. Jim Knowles and the folks on that side of the line did great this year. As I have said before, Ben Albert is a game-changer pick-up. We need the WR, O-line, and especially special teams to up their game. As best I can tell, we drop FSU but pick up @Clemson. Northwestern and Baylor both on the road, not home. So a fairly comparable schedule to this year, probably a bit tougher.

devildeac
01-01-2018, 11:50 AM
I’ve heard these too. But not holding my breath.

We shall see. Jim Knowles and the folks on that side of the line did great this year. As I have said before, Ben Albert is a game-changer pick-up. We need the WR, O-line, and especially special teams to up their game. As best I can tell, we drop FSU but pick up @Clemson. Northwestern and Baylor both on the road, not home. So a fairly comparable schedule to this year, probably a bit tougher.

See ya in Evanston? ;)

Daughter OPK will still be taking prospective college visits, correct, or am I off a bit?

OldPhiKap
01-01-2018, 11:56 AM
See ya in Evanston? ;)

Daughter OPK will still be taking prospective college visits, correct, or am I off a bit?

DaughterPK will be in college, in the library, not worried about sports or boys.

Don’t tell me otherwise, let me have my mental peace. She did enjoy Detroit and Canada.

As far as road trips, @Clemson may happen for me. Death Valley is a fun venue and friendly fans in my limited experience. As long as you’re not wearing a Gamecocks shirt of course.

CameronBornAndBred
01-01-2018, 12:01 PM
DaughterPK will be in college, in the library, not worried about sports or boys.

If she were in Chapel Hill, you would have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

To stay on topic, I vote for Cut being more hands on in play calling if the last three games will be the results. I hope we hold onto Knowles for a long time; I am sure he will get looks from folks needing to fill an HC position at some point.

budwom
01-01-2018, 12:53 PM
See ya in Evanston? ;)

we've done the Evanston trip several times, and it's very enjoyable. Wildcats are most hospitable, don't have to worry about drunken ignoramus crowds as one might (and did)
find at UCONN for example. I still chuckle when I see how irrelevant UCONN's (men's) hoop and football teams have become ever since BC blocked their path to the ACC.
May they stink forever, and then some.

PDDuke85
01-01-2018, 01:07 PM
If she were in Chapel Hill, you would have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

To stay on topic, I vote for Cut being more hands on in play calling if the last three games will be the results. I hope we hold onto Knowles for a long time; I am sure he will get looks from folks needing to fill an HC position at some point.

I believe Cut can be more hands on with play calling but that might require a change in the OC.

I'm more concerned about holding onto Ben Albert. Since his arrival, the Duke D has excelled. Hope Cut can keep Ben happy, and find a clone for the offensive line.

Devil549
01-02-2018, 12:22 AM
We need to enjoy the next few years Coach Cut 5-7 more years IMO.

He has built a solid ACC program that is competitive and runs a tight ship....do not see very many tight ship programs in today’s college football.

MartyClark
01-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Kurt Roper apparently going to the University of Colorado.

budwom
01-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Kurt Roper apparently going to the University of Colorado.

Head coach for Buffs is MacIntyre who was also on the Duke staff in the past...very solid coach.

MartyClark
01-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Head coach for Buffs is MacIntyre who was also on the Duke staff in the past...very solid coach.

MacIntyre had a great year, last year. The Buffs won 10 games and generated a lot of excitement. I went to a few Buffs games for the 1st time in 5 years.

He lost some great defensive players and the Buffs were mediocre this year. (Many of us long suffering Buffs fans view mediocrity as a victory)

For reasons I don't understand, MacIntyre has turned sour and is at odds with the administration. He apparently was hoping to get the Ole Miss opening but was not offered. He (or maybe the administration) need an attitude adjustment. Boulder is not an easy place to coach. It is difficult to get junior college players. It is not necessarily an easy adjustment for black players. I love Boulder but it can be a bit elitist.

I think MacIntyre has done a good job but next year is important. Roper will have a talented, but inconsistent, junior quarterback to coach next year. There are also two talented young quarterback who have the potential to be really good.

I think Roper is an excellent hire and wish him well.

Dev11
01-03-2018, 09:47 AM
I love Boulder but it can be a bit elitist.

You have a knack for understatement.

From a handful of first-hand stories from his time at Duke, Coach Mac is a good dude, but winning at CU is tough. That division title last year should give him some leeway for a few years.

Former Duke safety Matt Daniels is also on the staff at CU. If you need a Pac-12 team to root for, I recommend the Buffs.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Per Arowe tweet:

Kirk Benedict elevated from grad assistant to Assistant Coach/Special Teams & Defense.
Gerald Parker transtions from Football Operations Assistant to working with wide receivers.

Jim Knowles picks up additional title of Assistant Head Coach
Derek Jones, in addition to continuing with cornerbacks, assumes additional duties as Assistant Head Coach (Defense).

Jim Bridges taking over O-line (which he did in bowl game after Johnson left for MSU).

Jeffrey Faris moves from WR coach to TE coach and adds title of recruiting coordinator (Offense)
Matt Guerrieri adds Recruiting Coordinator (Defense) to his continued work with safeties.

No idea what all this means. Did not see an announced change in offensive coordinator.

PDDuke85
01-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Per Arowe tweet:

Kirk Benedict elevated from grad assistant to Assistant Coach/Special Teams & Defense.
Gerald Parker transtions from Football Operations Assistant to working with wide receivers.

Jim Knowles picks up additional title of Assistant Head Coach
Derek Jones, in addition to continuing with cornerbacks, assumes additional duties as Assistant Head Coach (Defense).

Jim Bridges taking over O-line (which he did in bowl game after Johnson left for MSU).

Jeffrey Faris moves from WR coach to TE coach and adds title of recruiting coordinator (Offense)
Matt Guerrieri adds Recruiting Coordinator (Defense) to his continued work with safeties.

No idea what all this means. Did not see an announced change in offensive coordinator.

What this means is what we've grown to expect from Cut. A great man, fiercely loyal. He has again promoted from within, while making some lateral changes. Unless we get a snow storm in South Carolina, I don't expect any further changes. 2018 will see 1 Roper as a D1 OC.

Devil549
01-05-2018, 07:17 PM
IMHO Coach Cut deserves and will continue to deserve to hire and assign positions of his staff. We all want to win every game, which is good but reality the only undefeated team I can name this year is UCF.

I have read that Coach Cut took over calling the plays after the Army game. Also read he did not take play calling over. Probably he had increased input and/or maybe more input than earlier in the season.

Coach Cut has completely made the Duke football program into a competitive program in the ACC. Twelve years ago I really had almost lost all hope to the point I wanted Duke to run the Option offense like Army and Navy, frankly I was disappointed when Paul Johnson turned Duke down.

Now I am not perfect and I do not always agree with the play calling but I do trust Coach Cut. We have a good program that is run with integrity and class but most of all we compete. So Coach Cut was hired to run the Duke football program which includes assigning, hiring and firing the staff.....keep up the good work Coach Cut!!!!!

OldPhiKap
01-05-2018, 07:27 PM
IMHO Coach Cut deserves and will continue to deserve to hire and assign positions of his staff. We all want to win every game, which is good but reality the only undefeated team I can name this year is UCF.

I have read that Coach Cut took over calling the plays after the Army game. Also read he did not take play calling over. Probably he had increased input and/or maybe more input than earlier in the season.

Coach Cut has completely made the Duke football program into a competitive program in the ACC. Twelve years ago I really had almost lost all hope to the point I wanted Duke to run the Option offense like Army and Navy, frankly I was disappointed when Paul Johnson turned Duke down.

Now I am not perfect and I do not always agree with the play calling but I do trust Coach Cut. We have a good program that is run with integrity and class but most of all we compete. So Coach Cut was hired to run the Duke football program which includes assigning, hiring and firing the staff....keep up the good work Coach Cut!!!!!

Could not have said it better.

uh_no
01-05-2018, 08:12 PM

Now I am not perfect and I do not always agree with the play calling but I do trust Coach Cut. We have a good program that is run with integrity and class but most of all we compete. So Coach Cut was hired to run the Duke football program which includes assigning, hiring and firing the staff....keep up the good work Coach Cut!!!!!

While I largely agree, I will be very disappointed if next years offense falls into the pattern that lost us 6 games in a row this year, at least 5 of which were absolutely winnable. IMO, the players on the team deserved better than what the coaches gave them for that stretch.

Clearly we made some extremely positive changes in the last couple weeks. I like to expect that momentum will carry into next year, and if we play and coach like we can, we shouldn't be out of any game we play. clemson may be a stretch, but i ain't gonna sell our guys short :)

Bob Green
01-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Hopefully Gerad Parker can improve wide receiver performance. It is definitely a position in need of improvement.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2018, 08:16 PM
While I largely agree, I will be very disappointed if next years offense falls into the pattern that lost us 6 games in a row this year, at least 5 of which were absolutely winnable. IMO, the players on the team deserved better than what the coaches gave them for that stretch.

Clearly we made some extremely positive changes in the last couple weeks. I like to expect that momentum will carry into next year, and if we play and coach like we can, we shouldn't be out of any game we play. clemson may be a stretch, but i ain't gonna sell our guys short :)

I don’t disagree, but it looks like Cut fixed the problem. Whether it be from being more active in play calling, or in reading someone the riot act to do something different, it seemed to work.

That at least is my optimistic look. And given that there is not likely to be a change at OC, I might as well see the bright side.

devildeac
01-05-2018, 11:27 PM
I don’t disagree, but it looks like Cut fixed the problem. Whether it be from being more active in play calling, or in reading someone the riot act to do something different, it seemed to work.

That at least is my optimistic look. And given that there is not likely to be a change at OC, I might as well see the bright side.

Perhaps you meant this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnNeAcOl2AM

OZ
01-05-2018, 11:36 PM
While I largely agree, I will be very disappointed if next years offense falls into the pattern that lost us 6 games in a row this year, at least 5 of which were absolutely winnable. IMO, the players on the team deserved better than what the coaches gave them for that stretch.Clearly we made some extremely positive changes in the last couple weeks. I like to expect that momentum will carry into next year, and if we play and coach like we can, we shouldn't be out of any game we play. clemson may be a stretch, but i ain't gonna sell our guys short :)

While I mostly agree; Cut pointed out that our QB was playing hurt during that stretch. I suspect that contricuted to the six game streak.

gep
01-06-2018, 12:23 AM
...I have read that Coach Cut took over calling the plays after the Army game. Also read he did not take play calling over. Probably he had increased input and/or maybe more input than earlier in the season...

While I mostly agree; Cut pointed out that our QB was playing hurt during that stretch. I suspect that contricuted to the six game streak.

The bolded/underlined is what I think happened...IMHO :cool:

So next year will be just fantastic!!! GO DUKE!!!

Bob Green
01-06-2018, 07:27 AM
A priority for the 2018 season needs to be achieving consistency at quarterback. Daniel Jones has been inconsistent his first two seasons:

1. Freshman who unexpectedly starts due to injury to senior Thomas Sirk. Jones starts slow throwing eight interceptions in the first six games before throwing only one over the next six games. There is nothing surprising about these results from a freshman.

2. Sophomore season Jones starts and finishes strong. He throws for 305 yards and rushes for 108 more in a September rout of Northwestern; passes for a career high 346 yards in a November win over Wake Forest, which clinched bowl game eligibility (Jones did throw three interceptions in the game). During the six game losing streak in the middle of the season, Jones struggles with completion percentage going 14-42-2 against Virginia; 15-33-1 against Pitt. According to Coach Cutcliffe, Jones played hurt throughout October and early November.

Jones is going to be a third year starter in 2018 so it is imperative the coaching staff (Coach Cutcliffe and OC/QB Coach Zac Roper) figure out how to keep Jones healthy and develop performance consistency. I'm optimistic but I'm always optimistic (okay 99% of the time).

OldPhiKap
01-06-2018, 07:29 AM

Why did we go away from the run though? I would think that injured QB = more runs, not less.

Bob Green
01-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Why did we go away from the run though? I would think that injured QB = more runs, not less.

We will probably never know the answer to that question but it is certainly the answer we all desire to hear. The Virginia game really stands out to me. Jones was 14-42-2 while Brown had 10 carries and Wilson seven carries. With Jones hurt, it seems the two running backs would have carried the ball a lot.

devildeac
01-06-2018, 08:02 AM
We will probably never know the answer to that question but it is certainly the answer we all desire to hear. The Virginia game really stands out to me. Jones was 14-42-2 while Brown had 10 carries and Wilson seven carries. With Jones hurt, it seems the two running backs would have carried the ball a lot.

I know the games were over two months apart, but, Navy somehow managed to rush for about 1000 nautical miles (:rolleyes:) against UVA in their bowl game so one would have very similar thoughts/plans as Bob (scary though it may be ;)).

DukieInKansas
01-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Perhaps you meant this:

Ozzie's theme song?

devilseven
01-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Ozzie's theme song?

Or, maybe the Carter family's:

Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side.
Keep on the sunny side of life.
It will help us every day, It will brighten all the way.
If we keep on the sunny side of life.

budwom
01-06-2018, 10:05 AM

yup, I think the comment about Jones being hurt (to some unknown extent) fails to answer that...or why, if he was so hobbled, an experienced backup like Boehme got zero playing time.

It also fails to explain some truly horrible playcalling (I don't think that's even in dispute among fans who watched all the games). We chew up big yards down the field vs Miami via the run, then
throw a ludicrous pass on fourth and one? Ack. Just one example of a greatly underutilized running game.

I know there are limits to what Duke can (or chooses to) spend on football, but I view some key positions are being an investment which can pay off. Prime example being the hiring of Albert
for the DL. Great hire.

The Duke Forward campaign's athletic segment GREATLY exceeded its goal...they raised $340 million vs their own goal of $250 million. SOME small portion of that could have been allocated
for one or two upgraded football salaries, but evidently Kevin White had other priorities. This disappoints me because I do know that when the team wins, fans do start taking notice (it can take some time, I know). The crowd for the Miami game was terrific, coming off some earlier wins...

I'd like to think that a rejuvenated offense combined with a clearly improved defense can put butts in seats. Maybe the new changes to the staff will accomplish that, but I remain disappointed that
we didn't bring in ANY experienced new blood at all, especially at OC. (Shuffling WR responsibilities is probably a good idea, and Bridge got some good reviews as he worked with the OL before the NIU bowl game).

uh_no
01-06-2018, 11:07 AM

as others have pointed out, there is more to it than just that. Certainly jones did the best he could during that stretch, but I think more than anything, it's an excuse used to avoid throwing a coach under the bus. The loyalty is a credit to Cut. One can't help but feel for a guy like wilson, though, who was primed for a killer year, and then largely had the ball taken out of his hands.

budwom
01-06-2018, 11:22 AM
^well stated

OldPhiKap
01-06-2018, 11:35 AM
as others have pointed out, there is more to it than just that. Certainly jones did the best he could during that stretch, but I think more than anything, it's an excuse used to avoid throwing a coach under the bus. The loyalty is a credit to Cut. One can't help but feel for a guy like wilson, though, who was primed for a killer year, and then largely had the ball taken out of his hands.

I largely agree, although I don’t think Cut has used this as an excuse as to the play calling. In other words, I have not heard him use the injury to protect a coach or the play calling.

.abesnt an injury to Wilsonof which we are not aware — always a possibility — I agree with the rest.

uh_no
01-06-2018, 11:52 AM
I largely agree, although I don’t think Cut has used this as an excuse as to the play calling. In other words, I have not heard him use the injury to protect a coach or the play calling.

.abesnt an injury to Wilsonof which we are not aware — always a possibility — I agree with the rest.

perhaps i should rethink: fans shouldn't accept it as an excuse to justify the stretch, and more as a statement of fact.

it's clear from the play on the field that some changes were made...whether that was taking away play calling, or just game planning differently, and unlike the acknowledging of the injury, it was never made public. I imagine such choices on what to disclose to the media are well thought out, and Jones' injury is a convenient thing to prevent further probing into the losing streak.

To not sound like I'm ragging on the coaches for being deceitful if they were so, it's a honed skill and something that needs to be done. One look not further than the buses in chapel hill where they had to retrofit the suspensions with modern off-road equivalents due to the human sized bumps they regularly drive over.

OldPhiKap
01-06-2018, 12:51 PM
perhaps i should rethink: fans shouldn't accept it as an excuse to justify the stretch, and more as a statement of fact.

it's clear from the play on the field that some changes were made...whether that was taking away play calling, or just game planning differently, and unlike the acknowledging of the injury, it was never made public. I imagine such choices on what to disclose to the media are well thought out, and Jones' injury is a convenient thing to prevent further probing into the losing streak.

To not sound like I'm ragging on the coaches for being deceitful if they were so, it's a honed skill and something that needs to be done. One look not further than the buses in chapel hill where they had to retrofit the suspensions with modern off-road equivalents due to the human sized bumps they regularly drive over.

I think it was budwom who dubbed Cut “Secret Squirrel” in regard to injuries, and it has always stuck with me.

K is notoriously tight-lipped too.

No reason to broadcast your weaknesses beyond required disclosures, I guess.

Olympic Fan
01-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Perhaps you meant this:

Why this re-tread version? I much prefer the origin of this song (the closing scene of Life of Brian):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38

PS It didn't get mentioned in the Beatles vs. Stones thread on the other board, but credit Beatle George Harrison with financing and promoting this movie (although I don't think he had input on this great song)

devildeac
01-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Why this re-tread version? I much prefer the origin of this song (the closing scene of Life of Brian):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38

PS It didn't get mentioned in the Beatles vs. Stones thread on the other board, but credit Beatle George Harrison with financing and promoting this movie (although I don't think he had input on this great song)

First one that came up on my search. :p

OZ
01-06-2018, 03:30 PM

As my post stated... I suspected Jones' health "contributed" to the losses... not caused them. As to using Jones as an excuse to "avoid throwing a coach under the bus," I would neither expect Cut to do that, nor would I respect him if he did. As far as why we didn't run the ball more during Jones' health issue... I have no idea (I asked that same question a thousand times). However, IMO, the ball starts and stops with Cut...not an assistant. He's the boss! Also, Cut seems to be of a pass first offensive mindset, and I suspect that is the way its going to be as long as he is the head coach. Assistants usually follow the lead of the head coach's directives not dictate them.

Avvocato
01-25-2018, 02:02 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but the attached mentions that Jim Knowles interviewed for the Oklahoma State defensive coordinator job with about 5 others: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/150/. Not sure what to make of that. Interesting.

CameronBornAndBred
01-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but the attached mentions that Jim Knowles interviewed for the Oklahoma State defensive coordinator job with about 5 others: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/150/. Not sure what to make of that. Interesting.
Hmmmm. That would be a big loss. I expect it to happen one day, but because he gets hired as a HC, not a DC.

duke2x
01-25-2018, 02:25 PM
Hmmmm. That would be a big loss. I expect it to happen one day, but because he gets hired as a HC, not a DC.

Knowles already had a so-so stint at Cornell, his alma mater. I'm not sure whether that is prohibitive to another FBS or FCS head coaching job. Gundy probably doesn't care too much about 55-50 games when they happen and would give Knowles a raise we wouldn't match. Those are the things I worry about.

Keeping both Knowles and Albert will go a long way to getting back to a bowl next year. We don't seem to find the "next big thing" in the G5 or FCS ranks for assistant coaches very often. We were really lucky to draw Albert away from BC.

budwom
01-25-2018, 02:43 PM
I'm a huge fan of Albert's, and should Knowles leave, I'd love for him to become defensive coordinator but retain DL coaching responsibilities (Knowles also coaches linebackers).

I will also note that Knowles has looked much better as a coordinator as our defensive talent has improved (and since Albert began coaching the DL) for what that's worth. I guess that's often the case with coaching.

chrishoke
01-25-2018, 02:56 PM

By thye way, that link does not say Knowles has interviewed, it says "has included talks with six candidates" and they name Knowles as one of the 6.

chrishoke
01-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Uh Oh. Oklahoma State "most likely" to hire Knowles.

https://www.diehards.com/oklahoma-state/oklahoma-state-most-likely-jim-knowles/amp?__twitter_impression=true

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2018, 10:33 AM

https://www.diehards.com/oklahoma-state/oklahoma-state-most-likely-jim-knowles/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Ratfarts. :(

uh_no
01-26-2018, 10:42 AM
Ratfarts. :(

congratulations, you have been promoted to DC!

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2018, 11:08 AM
congratulations, you have been promoted to DC!

We're doomed, then! My Madden game record is proof.

uh_no
01-26-2018, 11:25 AM
We're doomed, then! My Madden game record is proof.

well.....to be fair, at times last year it seems our offensive offensive playcalling might have been done by using the "quick select" feature on a game of madden....there were times it was really that bad.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Hope it is not so for selfish reasons, but not surprised if it is true. He is damn good.

Bob Green
01-26-2018, 02:09 PM

If this happens, I agree with budwom's post from yesterday, promote Ben Albert to defensive coordinator. Then Coach Cutcliffe needs to identify and hire a solid linebackers coach.

MattC09
01-29-2018, 07:00 PM
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/958120920761090048

"#OKState has hired #Duke DC Jim Knowles."

So it's official. I'm curious if Derek Jones gets the nod as DC.

YmoBeThere
01-29-2018, 07:44 PM
By thye way, that link does not say Knowles has interviewed, it says "has included talks with six candidates" and they name Knowles as one of the 6.

Hmmm, well I guess he did interview.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2018, 07:46 PM

Good luck coach! Hate to see it from a selfish reason, but glad for him and his family.

ehdg
01-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Damn so hate to lose Jim specially with how good he was n got our D to play the last few years! Good Luck Coach Knowles you’ll be missed!

Wonder who gets the DC job now fir us?

Acymetric
01-29-2018, 08:14 PM

I sure hope not. Would much rather give it to Albert.

Devil549
01-29-2018, 11:22 PM
JK was a good DC for Duke and I wish him much success at Okla St.

The big question is will Coach Cut promote from within or look outside program for new D?

Pros and cons of both as OC and DC have their individual idea of how their side of the ball works best...if we stay within my countless vote is for Albert.

Avvocato
01-30-2018, 01:28 AM
For those close to the program, do we know if Alpert wants to be defensive coordinator? Some guys don’t. I would think he does, and I would definitely be in favor. Not sure what the take is in the locker room. Also, is Knowles’ move about money, opportunity, or maybe a sense that Alpert was the heir apparent? Any internal issues? Just curious. And good luck to Coach Knowles. I wish him well. Hope it’s an opportunity for someone to continue the growth of our defense. The inflow of talent and development of our defense has been excellent the last few years. Let’s keep it going. Also, thankfully, our recruits are already signed up. Not that any of our defensive recruits would want to leave, but still good to have that handled.

Bob Green
01-30-2018, 04:47 AM
Good luck to Jim Knowles! #BenAlbert for Defensive Coordinator

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Two comments:
The picture of Coach Knowles has been removed from the coaches' page on goduke.com.
Coach Albert had the title of Associate Defensive Coordinator throughout last year.

richmclean
01-31-2018, 07:59 PM
Two comments:
The picture of Coach Knowles has been removed from the coaches' page on goduke.com.
Coach Albert had the title of Associate Defensive Coordinator throughout last year.

Albert needs to be named DC now. Knowles move to OSU is a career upgrade for him. Albert was recruited to upgrade our D, has done that and will provide valuable continuity. You don’t, bring in from outside and we lose our top 2 coaches on D. Not good.

budwom
02-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Albert needs to be named DC now. Knowles move to OSU is a career upgrade for him. Albert was recruited to upgrade our D, has done that and will provide valuable continuity. You don’t, bring in from outside and we lose our top 2 coaches on D. Not good.

I want to have my cake and eat it, too. Knowles was both DC and linebackers coach. I want Albert as DC and DL coach as well, especially if that's what he wants.