PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Bagley's Inconsistency

camion
12-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Or more properly Marvin's lack of inconsistency. (Did the title suck you in?)

One of the most surprising things about the play of the freshmen this year for me has been that Marvin is consistently putting up big numbers. I was expecting him, and the other freshmen, to have hot and cold days as they learned how to play at the college level. Marvin for the most part has adjusted quickly and just keeps cranking out double doubles.

Keep it up Marvin. :)

53n206
12-31-2017, 10:15 AM
Misleading,questionable,and mildly insulting title.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-31-2017, 10:26 AM
Misleading,questionable,and mildly insulting title.

And yet, sarcastic and within the tone of many posters on this board.

We are blessed to watch Bagley. I am inclined to enjoy the ride.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2017, 11:00 AM
We have played 14 games, but a Bagley has only managed 11 double-doubles. They’re not going to retire #35 at that paltry pace.

Step it up, son.

(MB3 is sooooooo much fun to watch!)

SkyBrickey
12-31-2017, 11:12 AM
You definitely got me with that title...

Bagley, and Carter, are both so fundamentally sound with the ball in their hands. We just aren't seeing the poor shooting or high turnover games that you always get with freshman bigs. We've never had a ride like this one as Duke fans. Let's enjoy it.

WillJ
12-31-2017, 11:26 AM
We have played 14 games, but a Bagley has only managed 11 double-doubles. They’re not going to retire #35 at that paltry pace.

Step it up, son.

Here's a combinatoric question - if you get a triple double, does that mean you got three double-doubles? if so, can the number of double-doubles exceed games played?

OldPhiKap
12-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Here's a combinatoric question - if you get a triple double, does that mean you got three double-doubles? if so, can the number of double-doubles exceed games played?

I think the way a triple double works is, if he gets a single and a homer in the same game too he is said to have “hit for the cycle.” Gonna defer to the rules freaks on that one though.

53n206
12-31-2017, 11:37 AM
I think the way a triple double works is, if he gets a single and a homer in the same game too he is said to have “hit for the cycle.” Gonna defer to the rules freaks on that one though.

Hit for"cycle" is single, double triple,and home run in same game.

DukeDevil
12-31-2017, 11:42 AM

The better question is, if you lap a double double (ie: > 20 points and > 20 rebounds)...does that count as TWO double doubles? :D

JBDuke
12-31-2017, 11:47 AM
The better question is, if you lap a double double (ie: > 20 points and > 20 rebounds)...does that count as TWO double doubles? :D

A friend of mine asked me - does 32 points, 11 offensive rebounds, and 10 defensive rebounds count as a triple double?

CameronBornAndBred
12-31-2017, 12:02 PM
Just wait 'til he finds consistency in the only area he's lacking. Free Throws.
He'll be having 40 point games with regularity.

mr. synellinden
12-31-2017, 12:11 PM
I saw a news story refer to someone else who is a third this way - and I liked it for Bagley -

Marvin Three Sticks. Maybe we alter it to Marvin Tre Sticks - or even more appropriate - Marvin Pogo Sticks.

Selover
12-31-2017, 12:25 PM

Step it up, son.

I'd place a large wager on #35 being in the rafters before the end of the year.

hudlow
12-31-2017, 12:48 PM
I've never had so much fun watching "inconsistency" in action.

kAzE
12-31-2017, 02:44 PM

And I would happily take that bet. I'll also have some of whatever you are smoking.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-31-2017, 02:45 PM
And I would happily take that bet. I'll also have some of whatever you are smoking.

Admiral Akbar would like a word with you.

kAzE
12-31-2017, 02:47 PM
Admiral Akbar would like a word with you.

Too soon . . .

dukelifer
12-31-2017, 02:53 PM

It is definitely going up since it belongs to Ferry on loan.

kAzE
12-31-2017, 03:01 PM
It is definitely going up since it belongs to Ferry on loan.

Can't "go up" if it's already up. But okay, fine, the wording of the original post makes sense now . . .

OldPhiKap
12-31-2017, 03:17 PM
Hit for"cycle" is single, double triple,and home run in same game.

That’s what I said. A single, triple double, and a homer. AFAIK, the only place to get a double triple is Starbucks.

A friend of mine asked me - does 32 points, 11 offensive rebounds, and 10 defensive rebounds count as a triple double?

Not only is that hilarious, think how ridiculous that actually is. That. Just. Happened.

I like to think that Mark Alarie’s number is retired, it’s just that they put Laettner’s name on it too.

(I still have a copy of that S.I. somewhere, speaking of “too soon”)

DukieInBrasil
12-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Step it up, son.

That quick catch n dunk play early in the game was amazing. Yet another time that he's gotten the ball and elevated and my mind thought "no way he's gonna dunk that" only to watch him dunk it easily. He's got some Antawn Jamison in his game, in that he can get the ball and go up and get his shot off before the defender even really begins defending him. Marvin does more things offensively than Antawn did, and is doing more as a Fr. than AJ did, so it's not meant to be an all-encompassing comparison.
Also, that missed FT turned into a circus-shot +1 was fun too.
But watching him hunt down rebounds, especially Oboards to get put back points is thoroughly delightful.