PDA

View Full Version : Awesome photo of Coach Cutcliffe’s Gatorade bath

rthomas
12-27-2017, 02:27 PM
From Twitter: https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/946091915841327105

Outstanding photo taken by photographer Gregory Shamus yesterday of David Cutcliffe’s Gatorade bath.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Wow.... That's stellar

DukeDevil
12-27-2017, 03:48 PM
I like how the gatorade cooler has handles that could only really be for the purposes of dumping said gatorade on a coach. Why else have the bottom handles?

Great photo btw!

CameronBlue
12-27-2017, 04:27 PM
I like how the gatorade cooler has handles that could only really be for the purposes of dumping said gatorade on a coach. Why else have the bottom handles?

Great photo btw!

Awesome!! It looks like he's being swallowed by a jellyfish.

PackMan97
12-27-2017, 05:02 PM
Great picture.

Congrats on a great bowl win.

juise
12-27-2017, 10:22 PM

Great photo btw!

Perhaps to dump out leftovers in a sink for cleaning and storage?

Agreed on the greatness of the image.

OldPhiKap
12-27-2017, 10:26 PM
I ended up sitting next to the official Duke photographer at a poker table after the game, and asked if he got a shot of the Gatorade dump. He sounded bummed that he didn’t, because it did not happen until Cut was being interviewed. (Guy seemed nice, and I have enjoyed his shots on Offical sites. I’ve got a good read on his poker play, although had to leave before we got in a juicy hand).

DevilFalcon
12-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Great photo, thanks for sharing. Would love to have a clear/high res version of it.

jimmymax
12-28-2017, 12:03 AM
Great shot. He must have been wearing some kind of Gore-Tex treated jacket. The lime-green Gatorade had no effect on that pristine white outerwear.

budwom
12-28-2017, 01:50 PM
and kudos to the lads (Ramsay and someone else?) for adroit placement. Far too often in this day and age, insufficient time is taken to line up a perfect Gatorade bath. Halfass gatorade tosses abound, no respect for proper placement. Sign of the times.

BandAlum83
12-28-2017, 07:36 PM
I don't know why, but I've always totally hated this tradition.

86devils
12-31-2017, 09:51 AM

I agree with you, BandAlum83. I suppose it had some novelty to it 30-35 years ago, but clearly that is long gone. Every single coach of every single team now fully expects it after a big win. I’ve even seen youth coaches kneel or crouch down so their young charges can lift the bucket or bottles over the coach’s heads! It’s no longer a tradition, it’s a cliche.
Plus, as an arthritis sufferer, just thinking about being subjected to that makes every joint in my body ache! 😱 Wasn’t there a coach somewhere in California who became ill & died due, at least in part, to having been doused with iced Gatorade?
I really would like to see teams come up with more creative ways to celebrate - even if it’s just pouring a bucket of confetti on the coach (an old Harlem Globetrotters gag), or something entirely different. Yeah, I know: Gatorade would freak, jeopardizing corporate sponsorship, yadda yadda, yadda.
Now, all that being said, as a one-time aspiring photographer, I also agree with everyone who said “amazing shot!” That guy (or woman) knows his way around camera settings and has awesome timing! You wouldn’t believe how much work it can be sometimes to get in position to capture shot like that. Great work!

Reilly
12-31-2017, 01:45 PM
... Wasn’t there a coach somewhere in California who became ill & died due, at least in part, to having been doused with iced Gatorade? ...

There's been some speculation of a connection in George Allen's death: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Allen_(American_football_coach)

(And today is the anniversary of his death.)

sagegrouse
12-31-2017, 02:10 PM

I do too and Let me give you a reason -- the death of George Allen. The legendary Rams and Redskins coach came back to work as the coach of Long Beach State at age 72. Here's the Wiki account (yes, I donate):

Death

Allen's death may have been indirectly caused by a Gatorade shower. He died on December 31, 1990, from ventricular fibrillation in his home in Palos Verdes Estates, California, at the age of 72. Shortly before his death, Allen noted that he had not been feeling well since some of his Long Beach State players dumped a Gatorade bucket filled with ice water on him following a season-ending victory over the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on November 17, 1990 (he remarked that the university couldn't afford actual Gatorade).

The sports editor of the Long Beach State newspaper, the Daily Forty-Niner, was on the field that day and recalled that the temperature was in the 50s with a biting wind. Allen stayed on the field for media interviews for a considerable length of time in his drenched clothing, and boarded the bus back to Long Beach State soaking wet. Having promised a winning season to a football program on the verge of collapse, in his final game Allen delivered on his promise. His players hoisted him on their shoulders as photographers snapped away, and Allen's team ended the season with a winning record. Allen said his season at Long Beach State was the most rewarding of his entire career.