PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Florida St (Sat, 12/30, 2 ET, CBS) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

WiJoe
12-25-2017, 11:00 PM
More than a little concerned about the atmosphere in Cameron on Saturday. Who's going to fire up the boys?

:confused:

uh_no
12-25-2017, 11:16 PM
More than a little concerned about the atmosphere in Cameron on Saturday. Who's going to fire up the boys?

:confused:

most students will not be there...there were only a few dozen last week vs evansville. there will (likely) be no cheerleaders, and the band will be all alumni/community members.

drummerdevil
12-25-2017, 11:18 PM
I値l be in the student section and I値l do my best to fill in for the emptiness

uh_no
12-25-2017, 11:20 PM
I値l be in the student section and I値l do my best to fill in for the emptiness

come...they told him...pa-rum pa pum pum
a new born team to see pa-rum pa pum pum
-the little drummer devil, probably.

thedukelamere
12-26-2017, 10:16 AM
come...they told him...pa-rum pa pum pum
a new born team to see pa-rum pa pum pum
-the little drummer devil, probably.

I just hope that the game/song ends with

Then... K smiled at him... pa-rum pa pum pum*

*with chants of "OUR HOUSE" in the background

weezie
12-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Who's going to fire up the boys?

ME! I'm preparing a special interpretive dance. Hope CBS allows me the full performance effect.

MarkD83
12-26-2017, 10:47 AM
ME! I'm preparing a special interpretive dance. Hope CBS allows me the full performance effect.

Will the interpretive dance include wearing a speedo?

gofurman
12-27-2017, 08:37 AM
Anyone know much about FSU ? Anyone watched them yet?

I saw they beat Florida easily which is impressive (they beat UF easier than we did). They give Duke fits in Tallahassee but are 'easier' in Durham. Glad this is in Durham. We do not need to be 0-2 in ACC and we are so young. Glad for break to practice defense.

IF- IF IF - we could beat FSU and at State I would like our chances at Pitt and w Wake. Would love 4-1 acc. would take 3-2. FSU and State are the keys I think

thoughts on FSU ??

UrinalCake
12-27-2017, 09:04 AM
They致e lost a lot from last year痴 team, but always seem to have big athletic wings who are the type that give us trouble. The students will be gone but we池e still playing on our home floor. What makes the game tough is the rust from the players having gone home. Even though the exam break was longer (11 Games off versus the current 9), the team was still on campus and continued to practice every day.

Hopefully we can establish Bagley and Carter early and then create some open looks from outside off of that. I知 expecting a close and ugly game regardless.

kshepinthehouse
12-27-2017, 09:19 AM
most students will not be there...there were only a few dozen last week vs evansville. there will (likely) be no cheerleaders, and the band will be all alumni/community members.

If no students will be there, how did they distribute tickets to fill that space? I will gladly help!

uh_no
12-27-2017, 09:45 AM
If no students will be there, how did they distribute tickets to fill that space? I will gladly help!

they sell them on goduke. presumably this game is long sold out.

kshepinthehouse
12-27-2017, 11:01 AM
they sell them on goduke. presumably this game is long sold out.

Why would they sell them their before offering them to Iron Dukes? Sounds like a prime opportunity for scalpers when tickets are first introduced to the public before Iron Dukes.

CameronBornAndBred
12-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Who's going to fire up the boys?

Me and my girlfriend! This will be her first (and likely last) game in Cameron. My stepmom is traveling so she gave us her tickets. Even though it is during the holiday break, it's still an ACC game against a ranked team, and I have no doubt the atmosphere will be electric.
My girlfriend is smartly bringing ear plugs.

uh_no
12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Why would they sell them their before offering them to Iron Dukes? Sounds like a prime opportunity for scalpers when tickets are first introduced to the public before Iron Dukes.

Because they can charge 80$ a pop for tickets they've already "sold" to the student body.

It's been several years since I've bought tickets, but if I recall used to be that they would first be available for ID purchase before being available to the general public.

Tickets are going to get scalped regardless of whether they go to ID or not.

CDu
12-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Here's a little rundown of this year's FSU squad. Spoiler alert: this is not your older sibling's FSU squad. In the past, the 'Noles have had an unending supply of 7-footers rotating at center, with lots of size at the forward spots too. Well, that's not so much the case this year. Especially if Koumadje is still out with a lower-extremity injury. The 'Noles don't even look all that much like they did last year. Out are Isaac, Bacon, Rathan-Mayes, Smith, and Ojo, who were their 3 best players and 5 of their top 8.

The 'Noles are still solid defensively (as seemingly always under Leonard Hamilton), and not bad offensively. That being said, it's hard to say just how good this FSU team is, as they've not faced a ton of competition yet. They had what seemed like a fabulous 83-66 win over Florida, but the Gators have since made that win seem less impressive by losing to Loyola-Chicago and Clemson and struggling to beat James Madison. Aside from that, FSU has lost a squeaker to Ok State, won a close one at Rutgers, and blown out the rest of the mediocre/bad teams on their schedule. They are athletic and not lacking talent though, so it will be a good test of where our team is at this point. But they are fairly young, so losing this one at home would be tough to swallow.

Center: Coming into the season, the 'Noles had Christ (Chris) Koumadje (7'4", 235lb junor from Chad) and Ike Obiagu (7'0", 240lb frosh from Nigeria). Koumadje was another of Hamilton's African projects - a really tall kid with good athleticism but no strength (he's really skinny) and no skills. Koumadje was off to a decent start to the season before getting hurt. He's been out for an indefinite period with a lower-body injury, and I'd guess he'll be out for this one too. That leaves the 'Noles with just the one center, and a freshman at that. Obiagu is also really raw offensively, and despite now being the starter he doesn't play even half the game. But when he is on the floor, there is a good chance he'll be blocking a shot. He is averaging averaging 7.37 blocks per 40 minutes. Unfortunately, he also averages 6.0 fouls per 40 minutes. Obiagu is now backed up by Mfiondu Kabengele (6'9", 235lb redshirt frosh from Canada). Kabengele, the nephew of Dikembe Mutombo, is a long-armed guy with a much more diverse skillset than his uncle had. Kabengele is much more of an all-court player than a pure post guy. Kabengele also doesn't play major minutes, and as a result FSU often plays very small, with Phil Cofer (6'8", 220lb senior forward) shifting up to center.

Forwards: Cofer is the starter at power forward, though as mentioned he'll shift up to play center for a good chunk of his minutes. Cofer is a high-energy guy with lots of athleticism, and has really had a breakout start to this year. He can shoot (career 42.3% 3pt shooter) and isn't bad around the basket. But he's undersized, and will be especially so against our big front line. When Cofer has to play center, the 'Noles really get small, as either Terance Mann (6'6", 215lb junior) or Trent Forrest (6'5", 215lb soph) has to play PF.

Wings: This is easily the strength of the FSU team. They have a ton of athletic, physical players with a variety of skills. Mann is the best of the bunch right now. He is a high-energy, Swiss Army knife for the 'Noles, kind of a poor man's Justise Winslow. Not a great shooter, but he can defend anyone on the floor. He is a terrific rebounder and very pesky on the offensive glass. He's turned into a good scorer despite his lack of shooting touch. He's also a capable passer, and is second on the team in assists. Along with Mann, Braian Angola (formerly Angola-Rodas; 6'6", 195lb senior from Colombia) is a sharpshooter (42.4% on nearly 5 attempts per game) and also solid on the boards and as a passer. Angola is also a sneaky guy on the wings averaging 1.6 steals per game. Behind these two veterans are a couple of talented youngsters. Forrest is another Swiss Army knife guy, capable of playing anywhere from PG to PF. He leads the team in assists and steals, and is third on the team in rebounds. He has not been much of a scorer at the college level, but he has the skill set to power his way to the rim. So far though, he's been quite content to be a floor general on offense. Last but not least is MJ Walker (6'5", 205lb frosh). Walker is a fantastic athlete whose skill set has not yet caught up with his athleticism. He was a top-25 high school recruit, based primarily on his "projectability". Loads of physical talent, but not a lot of polish. He's shot standstill 3s well so far this year (46% on 4 attempts per game), but when he has to put the ball on the floor things get really shaky. He is shooting under 25% from 2pt range, which illustrates his struggles with ballhandling and decisionmaking, as his athleticism should allow him a much better percentage. That said, he does have obscene hair game.

Guards: The 'Noles rely on Mann, Forrest, and Angola to handle most of the PG duties from the wing, so FSU's guards are not as crucial to their attack. CJ Walker (6'1", 195lb soph; no relation to MJ) is a decent shooter with consistency issues. He has at times looked great and others looked like a liability. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes, but also doesn't always impact the game when he's in there. PJ Savoy (6'4", 200lb junior) is the 9th man. Savoy is an unabashed gunner. When he is on the floor, he's a threat to shoot (and make) a 3. Over 80% of Savoy's career attempts have been from 3pt range, and despite playing just 10 mpg he averages 4.5 3pt shots per game. We would do well to not leave him open when he's in there.

I think we match up pretty well with FSU, but their aggressiveness and athleticism could cause us problems if we aren't focused and disciplined. While we are bigger, their wings and forwards are quite physical and capable of defending bigger players. So our bigs can't just assume they will win on size alone. If we don't match their effort or lose focus, they can punish us. Still, I think our talent advantage and size advantage will result in a win.

hallcity
12-27-2017, 12:24 PM

They did offer them first to the Iron Dukes. I got an email and ordered two tickets for a friend.

gofurman
12-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Here's a little rundown of this year's FSU squad. Spoiler alert: this is not your older sibling's FSU squad. In the past, the 'Noles have had an unending supply of 7-footers rotating at center, with lots of size at the forward spots too. Well, that's not so much the case this year. Especially if Koumadje is still out with a lower-extremity injury. The 'Noles don't even look all that much like they did last year. Out are Isaac, Bacon, Rathan-Mayes, Smith, and Ojo, who were their 3 best players and 5 of their top 8.

The 'Noles are still solid defensively (as seemingly always under Leonard Hamilton), and not bad offensively. That being said, it's hard to say just how good this FSU team is, as they've not faced a ton of competition yet. They had what seemed like a fabulous 83-66 win over Florida, but the Gators have since made that win seem less impressive by losing to Loyola-Chicago and Clemson and struggling to beat James Madison. Aside from that, FSU has lost a squeaker to Ok State, won a close one at Rutgers, and blown out the rest of the mediocre/bad teams on their schedule. They are athletic and not lacking talent though, so it will be a good test of where our team is at this point. But they are fairly young, so losing this one at home would be tough to swallow.

Center: Coming into the season, the 'Noles had Christ (Chris) Koumadje (7'4", 235lb junor from Chad) and Ike Obiagu (7'0", 240lb frosh from Nigeria). Koumadje was another of Hamilton's African projects - a really tall kid with good athleticism but no strength (he's really skinny) and no skills. Koumadje was off to a decent start to the season before getting hurt. He's been out for an indefinite period with a lower-body injury, and I'd guess he'll be out for this one too. That leaves the 'Noles with just the one center, and a freshman at that. Obiagu is also really raw offensively, and despite now being the starter he doesn't play even half the game. But when he is on the floor, there is a good chance he'll be blocking a shot. He is averaging averaging 7.37 blocks per 40 minutes. Unfortunately, he also averages 6.0 fouls per 40 minutes. Obiagu is now backed up by Mfiondu Kabengele (6'9", 235lb redshirt frosh from Canada). Kabengele, the nephew of Dikembe Mutombo, is a long-armed guy with a much more diverse skillset than his uncle had. Kabengele is much more of an all-court player than a pure post guy. Kabengele also doesn't play major minutes, and as a result FSU often plays very small, with Phil Cofer (6'8", 220lb senior forward) shifting up to center.

Forwards: Cofer is the starter at power forward, though as mentioned he'll shift up to play center for a good chunk of his minutes. Cofer is a high-energy guy with lots of athleticism, and has really had a breakout start to this year. He can shoot (career 42.3% 3pt shooter) and isn't bad around the basket. But he's undersized, and will be especially so against our big front line. When Cofer has to play center, the 'Noles really get small, as either Terance Mann (6'6", 215lb junior) or Trent Forrest (6'5", 215lb soph) has to play PF.

Wings: This is easily the strength of the FSU team. They have a ton of athletic, physical players with a variety of skills. Mann is the best of the bunch right now. He is a high-energy, Swiss Army knife for the 'Noles, kind of a poor man's Justise Winslow. Not a great shooter, but he can defend anyone on the floor. He is a terrific rebounder and very pesky on the offensive glass. He's turned into a good scorer despite his lack of shooting touch. He's also a capable passer, and is second on the team in assists. Along with Mann, Braian Angola (formerly Angola-Rodas; 6'6", 195lb senior from Colombia) is a sharpshooter (42.4% on nearly 5 attempts per game) and also solid on the boards and as a passer. Angola is also a sneaky guy on the wings averaging 1.6 steals per game. Behind these two veterans are a couple of talented youngsters. Forrest is another Swiss Army knife guy, capable of playing anywhere from PG to PF. He leads the team in assists and steals, and is third on the team in rebounds. He has not been much of a scorer at the college level, but he has the skill set to power his way to the rim. So far though, he's been quite content to be a floor general on offense. Last but not least is MJ Walker (6'5", 205lb frosh). Walker is a fantastic athlete whose skill set has not yet caught up with his athleticism. He was a top-25 high school recruit, based primarily on his "projectability". Loads of physical talent, but not a lot of polish. He's shot standstill 3s well so far this year (46% on 4 attempts per game), but when he has to put the ball on the floor things get really shaky. He is shooting under 25% from 2pt range, which illustrates his struggles with ballhandling and decisionmaking, as his athleticism should allow him a much better percentage. That said, he does have obscene hair game.

Guards: The 'Noles rely on Mann, Forrest, and Angola to handle most of the PG duties from the wing, so FSU's guards are not as crucial to their attack. CJ Walker (6'1", 195lb soph; no relation to MJ) is a decent shooter with consistency issues. He has at times looked great and others looked like a liability. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes, but also doesn't always impact the game when he's in there. PJ Savoy (6'4", 200lb junior) is the 9th man. Savoy is an unabashed gunner. When he is on the floor, he's a threat to shoot (and make) a 3. Over 80% of Savoy's career attempts have been from 3pt range, and despite playing just 10 mpg he averages 4.5 3pt shots per game. We would do well to not leave him open when he's in there.

I think we match up pretty well with FSU, but their aggressiveness and athleticism could cause us problems if we aren't focused and disciplined. While we are bigger, their wings and forwards are quite physical and capable of defending bigger players. So our bigs can't just assume they will win on size alone. If we don't match their effort or lose focus, they can punish us. Still, I think our talent advantage and size advantage will result in a win.

thanks !

sagegrouse
12-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Because they can charge 80$ a pop for tickets they've already "sold" to the student body.

It's been several years since I've bought tickets, but if I recall used to be that they would first be available for ID purchase before being available to the general public.

Tickets are going to get scalped regardless of whether they go to ID or not.

As I recall, Iron Dukes are asked to request tickets shortly after the schedule is announced

mattman91
12-28-2017, 10:35 AM
Any word on Javin's injury status?

Truth&Justise
12-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Any word on Javin's injury status?

There's an article on the main page (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017/12/28/16824968/javin-delaurier-will-be-back-for-fsu-duke-basketball) saying Javin will play against FSU, but no source for it.

millerecu
12-28-2017, 03:05 PM
My wife and I are taking the kids to NY for New Years. We have no idea where we can watch the in the Brooklyn Heights area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

asbcheeks
12-28-2017, 03:20 PM
My wife and I are taking the kids to NY for New Years. We have no idea where we can watch the in the Brooklyn Heights area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

O'Keefe's on Court St. is a solid sports bar in the neighborhood. If you're up for some BBQ, Hill Country in Willoughby Plaza is a good spot to watch games as well.

Might also be fun to walk over the BK Bridge and catch the game at one of the many bars in the Seaport area in Manhattan. Jeremy's Ale House is a favorite of mine - dive bar with good fried seafood.

Enjoy your trip.

https://www.okeefesbarandgrill.com/
https://hillcountry.com/
https://www.jeremysalehouse.com/

therealcoachK
12-28-2017, 03:43 PM
I will be leaving my -20 temp in SD to be at this FSU game. I am a HS math teacher and used up all my personal leave in Oct and was thinking of not attending a Duke game this year. But even though the atmosphere won't be the same without the students, I just had to see this team in person.
Sure hope this ends better than the last game I was at-->NCSU last year. :(

Truth&Justise
12-28-2017, 05:11 PM
I will be leaving my -20 temp in SD to be at this FSU game. I am a HS math teacher and used up all my personal leave in Oct and was thinking of not attending a Duke game this year. But even though the atmosphere won't be the same without the students, I just had to see this team in person.
Sure hope this ends better than the last game I was at-->NCSU last year. :(

Quite the temperature swing going to the packed heat of Cameron! Hope you can bring the noise and energy to make up for the smaller student crowd.

DukeDevil
12-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Quite the temperature swing going to the packed heat of Cameron! Hope you can bring the noise and energy to make up for the smaller student crowd.

Has the average height or students fallen or is there now a height restriction on non-athlete students?

UrinalCake
12-28-2017, 05:46 PM
I posted this in another thread but thought it bears repeating:

12/5/2016 we beat Tennessee State by only 10, a game in which we led by 4 at the half and by 3 with 12 minutes left in the game.
12/21/2016 we beat Elon by only 10 (the Grayson tripping game). They were up 1 at the half and we led by only 4 with 16 minutes left.
12/30/2015 we trailed Long Beach State for most of the first half, before entering halftime up by 6
12/29/2014 we led Toledo by only 4 at the half

These post-holiday break games are always a grind. It was encouraging that we shot so well against Evansville after the exam break, but the difference is that during that break the team continued to practice every day. I知 expecting a close game but if we play to our strengths we should be able to pull it out.

gofurman
12-28-2017, 11:01 PM

12/5/2016 we beat Tennessee State by only 10, a game in which we led by 4 at the half and by 3 with 12 minutes left in the game.
12/21/2016 we beat Elon by only 10 (the Grayson tripping game). They were up 1 at the half and we led by only 4 with 16 minutes left.
12/30/2015 we trailed Long Beach State for most of the first half, before entering halftime up by 6

These post-holiday break games are always a grind. It was encouraging that we shot so well against Evansville after the exam break, but the difference is that during that break the team continued to practice every day. I知 expecting a close game but if we play to our strengths we should be able to pull it out.

right. This would be a great win. Needed win- Don稚 wont 0-2 as our start !

Furniture
12-29-2017, 12:11 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/946559836623339525/video/1

coach K thinks we will be ready...

Furniture
12-29-2017, 12:14 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/946559836623339525/video/1

coach K thinks we will be ready...

My dream one day is to be like my hero JasonEvans and learn how to embed these videos. Or maybe it is an iPad Problem after all?

Doria
12-29-2017, 03:51 AM
Man, I think I scheduled my flight back to West Coast at around this time (what moron had that idea?!). Still, I値l watch as much as I can before I have to leave!

UrinalCake
12-29-2017, 09:43 AM
My dream one day is to be like my hero JasonEvans and learn how to embed these videos. Or maybe it is an iPad Problem after all?

Hold down the refresh button in your Safari browser (the round arrow at the top, next to the URL) and select "Request Desktop Site." Then when you reply you'll have the options for embedding links, videos, emojis, etc.

brevity
12-29-2017, 02:30 PM

most students will not be there...

Duke is 0-1 in conference play and about to face #24 FSU in Cameron without many of the Crazies. Will the non-students fill the building and make some noise?

Coach K shared this exact concern recently, and an FSU player, of all people, put him at ease.

"K... people will come, K. They'll come to Durham for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as freshmen, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $500 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the student section, and stand in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have to stand somewhere along one of the sidelines, where the Crazies on TV cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, K. The one constant through all the years, K, has been basketball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a dry erase board, rebuilt and erased again. But basketball has marked the time. This court, this game: it's a part of our past, K. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come, K. People will most definitely come."

- Terance Mann (http://seminoles.com/sports/basketball/roster/season/2017-18/terance-mann/), junior guard, Florida State University

Reddevil
12-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Duke is 0-1 in conference play and about to face #24 FSU in Cameron without many of the Crazies. Will the non-students fill the building and make some noise?

Coach K shared this exact concern recently, and an FSU player, of all people, put him at ease.

"K... people will come, K. They'll come to Durham for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as freshmen, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $500 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the student section, and stand in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have to stand somewhere along one of the sidelines, where the Crazies on TV cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, K. The one constant through all the years, K, has been basketball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a dry erase board, rebuilt and erased again. But basketball has marked the time. This court, this game: it's a part of our past, K. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come, K. People will most definitely come."

- Terance Mann (http://seminoles.com/sports/basketball/roster/season/2017-18/terance-mann/), junior guard, Florida State University

"You're seeing a whole team of psychiatrists aren't you?" - Terance Mann

dukelifer
12-29-2017, 03:24 PM

There will be people there. I am more worrried that the defense will show up.

weezie
12-29-2017, 04:08 PM

Hey Terance "ya' wanna have a catch?" I feel misty-eyed...

Henderson
12-29-2017, 05:38 PM

Just find Montague Street. There's a basement place just down some stairs. They have music in the cafe at night and a bit of revolution in the air.

MChambers
12-29-2017, 06:32 PM
Just find Montague Street. There's a basement place just down some stairs. They have music in the cafe at night and a bit of revolution in the air.

I知 worried he値l get tangled up in blue, but maybe that痴 okay, as long as it is the proper shade of blue.

Duke76
12-29-2017, 07:43 PM

where did you find this quote....love it but can't seem to find the source for it and just want to see how it came up?

uh_no
12-29-2017, 08:50 PM
where did you find this quote...love it but can't seem to find the source for it and just want to see how it came up?

one could say he was FIELDing in the questions OF his DREAMS

brevity
12-29-2017, 08:52 PM
where did you find this quote...love it but can't seem to find the source for it and just want to see how it came up?

Well, if you have to explain the joke...

TERANCE Mann plays basketball for Florida State. His name is very close to TERENCE Mann, James Earl Jones' character in Field of Dreams. I took his famous speech (http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechfieldofdreams.html) about Iowa's worst producing cornfield and repurposed it for Cameron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SB16il97yw

NashvilleDevil
12-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Not mentioned is FSU has had a long break as well and then have to travel to Durham. Both teams will probably have a little rust to start this one. Would like to see Duvall get going offensively after he drops a handful of assists first of course.

chriso
12-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Not mentioned is FSU has had a long break as well and then have to travel to Durham. Both teams will probably have a little rust to start this one. Would like to see Duvall get going offensively after he drops a handful of assists first of course.
Not to sound alarmist but we really need to win this one, esp. with such a young team. I think we win.

Troublemaker
12-30-2017, 08:10 AM

These post-holiday break games are always a grind. It was encouraging that we shot so well against Evansville after the exam break, but the difference is that during that break the team continued to practice every day. I’m expecting a close game but if we play to our strengths we should be able to pull it out.

Do you have a source for that, UC? It seems unlikely that we would be able to practice every day during exams. With that said, we did get a couple of extra practices in post-exams because we played Evansville on the Wednesday after exams instead of on the Monday after exams, and Monday was how we did it in two of the past three years. (In the third year, we played on a Tuesday, which was a blowout win. Just getting in an extra practice or two helps, it seems.)

As for this current holiday break, according to Coach K, the team was back in Durham on the 26th with no practice that day. And they would've had the 27th, 28th, and 29th to practice before playing FSU. I think they'll be ready.

One more thing. As far as I know, Duke has never played either a post-exam game or a post-Christmas game while 0-1 in the ACC until this season. I expect Duke to play with its hair on fire again against FSU; I think we will be extremely motivated to lift ourselves of last place in the ACC.

I'll be interested in seeing if dialing up the ball pressure (which might be a permanent defensive adjustment post-BC) will be disruptive and turnover-producing against a good ACC team in FSU. It certainly was disruptive and turnover-producing against Evansville, and I believe it will be again today. In our fake-money DBR gambling contest, I took Duke to cover. We'll see how that goes.

Spanarkel
12-30-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm hoping that Grayson has a solid-very good game today against FSU. In his 4 games against the Seminoles, he's shooting 33%(11/33)overall and 20%(3/15)from three, averaging 7.8ppg. The per game average reflects limited minutes against the 'Noles as a freshman(11 min)and the second game against FSU last year with his ankle injury(16 min). I'm hoping he can hit for 16-22(+)points today. Let's go, Duke!

-jk
12-30-2017, 01:16 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
12-30-2017, 01:50 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/FSU, starters posted...

https://www.scacchoops.com/fsu-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-12302017

rickshawboycall911
12-30-2017, 02:22 PM
A couple of things bother me about his game. He is not communicating at all out there. This i feel will be our undoing in March, not his shooting.
I feel he should be wreaking havoc on defense. He's not.
I feel like he should be penetrating at will. He's not.

He is nowhere close to the player i thought we were getting. Not hating just saying.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2017, 02:25 PM
A couple of things bother me about his game. He is not communicating at all out there. This i feel will be our undoing in March, not his shooting.

He is nowhere close to the player i thought we were getting. Not hating just saying.

Good thing he is only 1/3rd of the way through his freshman campaign.

rickshawboycall911
12-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Good thing he is only 1/3rd of the way through his freshman campaign.

Ok, but the same thing can be said for Collin Sexton and Trae Young???

fuse
12-30-2017, 03:02 PM
I am frustrated with our incredibly flawed and trashy defense.

Kjeffrey
12-30-2017, 03:04 PM
FSU is a solid team but no one on their roster should have 22+ points in one half. Duke has to figure out a way to stop allowing an opposing player to have a career game against them.

And Duke's free throws....

AtlDuke72
12-30-2017, 03:05 PM

Fooled me. What would you say if you decide to hate on him?

AtlDuke72
12-30-2017, 03:07 PM
FSU is a solid team but no one on their roster should have 22+ points in one half. Duke has to figure out a way to stop allowing an opposing player to have a career game against them.

And Duke's free throws...

It helps when you bank in two three point shots.

SCMatt33
12-30-2017, 03:07 PM
I am frustrated with our incredibly flawed and trashy defense.

I just don't know what you ask the, to do. FSU made two banked in threes, at least one from nba range, and a couple more that were heavily contested. Of the ones they made, only 2 or 3 were actually open shots in rhythm from a reasonable distance. Our D probably deserved to give up high 30's to low 40's at most. Not great by any means, but I wouldn't want them changing what they do because FSU is banking stuff it. Make them repeat those shots again.

BlueDevil16
12-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Ok, but the same thing can be said for Collin Sexton and Trae Young???

What was the story with them and Duke again?

magjayran
12-30-2017, 03:09 PM
Sure there were 2 banked threes but there's really no reason to make excuses for this defense. The defense is very bad and it's a very big problem.

rickshawboycall911
12-30-2017, 03:15 PM
I dont know why we are still playing pressure man to man
This team was made for zone or straight up m2m

ncexnyc
12-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Hopefully the bank is closed for FSU in the 2nd half.

Kjeffrey
12-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Sure there were 2 banked threes but there's really no reason to make excuses for this defense. The defense is very bad and it's a very big problem.

I completely agree. One play that really sticks out in mind happened with about 4:40 left in the half. Carter was playing defense on an FSU big (maybe Walker) and Trent went running after them down by the baseline. He stood there while the ball got passed to the top of the key and then kicked out to a wide open Cofer who hit the three. I am not blaming Trent but this is just one example of poorly executed defense on Duke's part. They just don't seem to know what to do and maybe it is because they are freshman. FSU is in this game for a variety of reasons including Duke's struggles on defense.

chriso
12-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Glad I didn't post my halftime thoughts as we look much better now. Let's finish them off! Some bench points! Go Alex!

chrishoke
12-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately, our defense has not improved over the break. We make every team look like an NBA team.

chrishoke
12-30-2017, 04:05 PM
We have allowed 29 threes in our 1st 2 ACC games and this one is not over.

chrishoke
12-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Make that 30.

InSpades
12-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Duval went from goat to hero in the span of about 4 minutes. Wow.