PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Player Poll Gminski vs. Ewing

JasonEvans
10-23-2007, 11:00 AM
This poll is for the 4th of our Round of 32 matchups. The #9 seed Mike Gminski versus #24 Daniel Ewing. All those folks who complain about the older players getting slighted have one of their biggest heroes going in this poll.

--Jason "vote early, vote often" Evans

elvis14
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
This poll is for the 4th of our Round of 32 matchups. The #9 seed Mike Gminski versus #24 Daniel Ewing. All those folks who complain about the older players getting slighted have one of their biggest heroes going in this poll.

--Jason "vote early, vote often" Evans

I voted for Ewing because Gminski is an older player :D

throatybeard
10-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I voted for Ewing because Gminski is an older player :D

I'm still waiting for the play-in game between Hannah Montana and Bill Werber.

mapei
10-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Easy vote for Giminski.

arnie
10-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Not even a competition between the 2 - despite Joe Gminski's omnipresence, Mike wins by a landslide.

Indoor66
10-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Not even a competition between the 2 - despite Joe Gminski's omnipresence, Mike wins by a landslide.

Heck, I was in "Durham Regional" hospital and Joe delivered me the Morning Herald.

MulletMan
10-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I realize that G-man will win this matchup in a landslide, but I voted for Daniel. He was my favorite Duke player while I was a grad student and he epitomized what the program is all about. A class act all the way.

CameronBlue
10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Heck, I was in "Durham Regional" hospital and Joe delivered me the Morning Herald.

I think that's supposed to be Durham Regional "hospital." Big difference.

VaDukie
10-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I voted for Daniel. I'll never forget how well he played in the opening rounds of the 2003 ACC Tournament. I don't think there's ever been a more unlikely Tournament MVP.

blazindw
10-23-2007, 02:16 PM
This was a tough one. Obviously I've watched D-Ew his whole career, even as a senior in the McDonald's AA Game in Cameron. He was just so smooth and fluid on the court, and he was definitely the glue guy...kept everything together and moving in the right direction. But the G-Man was someone I grew up watching (although in the NBA). He's simply one of the best. In a slight edge, I'm going with Ewing.

killerleft
10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
G-Man. Superb center, excellent ambassador for Duke for almost 30 years. Very active in alumni affairs, and his number is retired. He's also one of the best in-game basketball analysts around. He knows Gene Banks, Kenny Dennard, and Jim Spanarkel, too.

toughbuff1
10-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I think Daniel just got a "T" while reading this thread.

Carlos
10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I voted for Gminski... his dad told me to.

johnb
10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
As an undergraduate, Mike Gminski heard about a local family whose puppy got lost. After practice, Mike picked up the child's 8 year old son and they went looking for the puppy in a driving rainstorm. They found the dog, but it was lying motionless in a storm drain. Undaunted, Mike administered doggie cpr, returned the pooch to life, and dropped the puppy and 8 year old back at their home. I was that 8 year old child. Okay, so maybe the story isn't true in the slightest detail, but it could be, and so I'd suggest voting for Gminski.

johnb
10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Hmmm. Now that I see the point totals, I'd suggest voting for Daniel, who also might have rescued a puppy.

EarlJam
10-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Awesome post!

mapei
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM

LOL!

What's the backstory about Gminski's dad?

-jk
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
As an undergraduate, Mike Gminski heard about a local family whose puppy got lost. After practice, Mike picked up the child's 8 year old son and they went looking for the puppy in a driving rainstorm. They found the dog, but it was lying motionless in a storm drain. Undaunted, Mike administered doggie cpr, returned the pooch to life, and dropped the puppy and 8 year old back at their home. I was that 8 year old child. Okay, so maybe the story isn't true in the slightest detail, but it could be, and so I'd suggest voting for Gminski.

I think that had to have been Patrick Davidson.

-jk

JBDuke
10-23-2007, 04:45 PM
LOL!

What's the backstory about Gminski's dad?

According to a variety of sources, Mike's dad was the stereotypical "Little League Dad", similar to, say, Ken Burgess. Apparently, he was a real pain in the rear. Read Feinstein's "Forever's Team" if you want to know more.

Clipsfan
10-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Here is where "favorite" vs. "best" is a huge distinction. Gminski is a good commentator, but I enjoyed Ewing's bball more than the G-man's commentating.

SilkyJ
10-23-2007, 06:24 PM
This is just so hard. G-man is a long time favorite of my folks and so I grew up loving him, but D-Ew was just a favorite of mine while I was at Duke, so much so that I invented a chant for him that never caught on: you can't spell Duke without D-Ew! clap-clap! (a take off of "you can't spell Duke without a K!)

and he is also my sister's all-time favorite player....I still haven't voted, I can't decide. I guess because I voted for alarie over duhon, I am gonna switch it up and go with D-ew over G-man...

mph
10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
This one wasn't that hard for me. Gminski in a walk.

JasonEvans
10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
This poll is closed. G-man moves on to face the winner of Duhon and Alarie.

-Jason