PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 12-20-17

jimsumner
12-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Duke had a signing day press conference but also some discussions of the bowl game and next season, so rather than try to break this up into multiple threads, I decided to bundle it all here.

Duke signed 15 players today.

Link here.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211690390&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke might not be finished. Cut indicated Duke was still looking at a few players, including secondary and offensive line. Duke wants to leave room for a late addition or two but will not bring in anyone just to fill the class.

Duke is not looking at bringing in a kicker with this class. Duke will go with what it has.

Duke signed six in-state players. No more emphasis on this than other years, it just worked out that way. Cut says Duke will always recruit inside-out.

Don't look for a rash of grad-student transfers. Duke does not seek out grad-students. Grad students do seek out Duke but academics rule most out immediately. They actually have to be able to get into grad school at Duke, which is not easy.

DT Tajh Rice is listed at 320 pounds. Cut suggested he might actually be heavier. He's Duke's top-ranked recruit.

QB Gunnar Holmberg, TE Zamari Ellis, OL Casey Holman and CB Jeremiah Lewis will all enroll in January. I suspect Lewis is the only one of this group to actually play next season. But Cut really likes Holmberg, a Wake County kid.

Three wide receiver signees are 6-2, 6-3 and 6-4. Cut says Duke needs to change those 50/50 "hand-to-hand-combat-balls" to 80/20.

Cut still not a fan of the early-signing date. Thinks it reduces evaluation time and hurts high schools. Cited a local high-school baseball coach who has lost his top two juniors because they want to prepare for being recruited for college football.

Bowl game?

Ben Humphreys practicing without restrictions.

Holmquist still on track to punt and place kick.

Duke taking a long look at young backups in practice but will go with vets in the bowl game. Duke owes it to its seniors to do everything it can to win the game.

Other Stuff?

Cut said he was more excited about the freshmen redshirting than any other comparable group. Given that Duke played more true freshmen than ever this season, this suggests Duke was still holding out some real talent. Citing Dimukeje as a guy who started from day one and ended up as a freshman A-A, he reiterated that Duke will play the best players regardless of class. So, expect some of the guys signed today to compete for PT.

No replacement for Marcus Johnson yet. Still in the evaluation stage. Cut not willing to discuss any other possible coaching changes.

Spring practice likely late March into April.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Thanks, Jim. I love Christmas football notes!

PS...also love spring practice actually occurring in the spring.

Bob Green
12-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Jim! Your press conference notes are always a gold mine.

Duke taking a long look at young backups in practice but will go with vets in the bowl game. Duke owes it to its seniors to do everything it can to win the game.

Great to read winning the bowl game is priority #1.

Cut said he was more excited about the freshmen redshirting than any other comparable group. Given that Duke played more true freshmen than ever this season, this suggests Duke was still holding out some real talent.

Running back Marvin Hubbard and cornerback Josh Blackwell are names that jump out as redshirts with real talent.

Spring practice likely late March into April.

With the stadium renovation complete, will Duke have an actual Spring Game in 2018?

brlftz
12-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Cut not willing to discuss any other possible coaching changes.

Interesting. Did someone come right out and ask if there will be changes?

jimsumner
12-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Interesting. Did someone come right out and ask if there will be changes?

The question asked was along the lines of whether he expected to lose any more coaches.

OldPhiKap
12-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Jim, I hope I thanked you at the first “football notes” post of the season and will thank you again at the end. These are invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Listen to Quants
12-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Jim, I hope I thanked you at the first “football notes” post of the season and will thank you again at the end. These are invaluable and greatly appreciated.Exactly right. Thank you, Jim.

And it's great to see the Duke Football lads getting the extra practice and experience that comes with bowling.

devildeac
12-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Always look forward to reading these updates, especially in December :D. Thanks, Jim!

ehdg
12-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Yes Jim thank you for all you provide us on the Football front!! I enjoy all your football notes all season.