PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Seuss banned in Mississippi!

cakerace
12-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Following the loss to BC, my loving bride thought she would brighten my spirits with the early Christmas gift of a vanity tag to highlight the life and works of Theodor “Dr. Seuss” Geisel. So we took ourselves down to the county courthouse, where we filled out the form for a Mississippi license plate reading “GTHCGTH,” which I explained to the curious clerk stood for that famous Dr. Seuss image - “Get the hat, cat; get the hat!” A computer check showed the tag was available and acceptable (“We have to be careful; we don’t want no gang signs slipping in!”), and the clerk happily took our money and old license plate. However, after several days camped out at the mailbox, I was devastated to receive a letter from the Department of Revenue saying my request had been “DENIED”! Why in the world should the Magnolia State be so blatantly anti-Seuss??? Has some political correctness run amuck here in SEC land??? I was given the opportunity to submit a Review Board Appeal Petition to request a hearing in the state capital, however the local clerk said her quick search of the Urban Dictionary showed “GTHCGTH” did not mean what I thought it did, and I was probably out of luck. Who would have thought the Mississippi Motor Vehicle Services bureaucracy would have so many uNC graduates working there? I feel I have let Kenny Dennard down. The Grinch has stolen my Christmas...

devildeac
12-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Following the loss to BC, my loving bride thought she would brighten my spirits with the early Christmas gift of a vanity tag to highlight the life and works of Theodor “Dr. Seuss” Geisel. So we took ourselves down to the county courthouse, where we filled out the form for a Mississippi license plate reading “GTHCGTH,” which I explained to the curious clerk stood for that famous Dr. Seuss image - “Get the hat, cat; get the hat!” A computer check showed the tag was available and acceptable (“We have to be careful; we don’t want no gang signs slipping in!”), and the clerk happily took our money and old license plate. However, after several days camped out at the mailbox, I was devastated to receive a letter from the Department of Revenue saying my request had been “DENIED”! Why in the world should the Magnolia State be so blatantly anti-Seuss??? Has some political correctness run amuck here in SEC land??? I was given the opportunity to submit a Review Board Appeal Petition to request a hearing in the state capital, however the local clerk said her quick search of the Urban Dictionary showed “GTHCGTH” did not mean what I thought it did, and I was probably out of luck. Who would have thought the Mississippi Motor Vehicle Services bureaucracy would have so many uNC graduates working there? I feel I have let Kenny Dennard down. The Grinch has stolen my Christmas...

9F9F9F9F. Will that work? ;)

dudog84
12-20-2017, 03:02 PM

I would have thought living in Mississippi was enough punishment for your sins.

UrinalCake
12-20-2017, 03:09 PM
That’s an awesome story, I wish you could have gotten the plates.

BD80
12-20-2017, 04:22 PM
My search of the Urban Dictionary for GTHCGTH registered no results

BandAlum83
12-20-2017, 04:32 PM
My search of the Urban Dictionary for GTHCGTH registered no results

I simple google search will, however, make clear the meaning.

This Urban Dictionary entry does come up:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GTHC

OldPhiKap
12-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Try GTFHC

YmoBeThere
12-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Obviously, the Urban Dictionary is to blame. Perhaps a legal remedy might be in order?

cakerace
12-21-2017, 02:19 AM
Trying to rethink this thing, I wonder if I can just get a tag that says “WOFFORD”?

juise
12-21-2017, 02:51 AM
trying to rethink this thing, i wonder if i can just get a tag that says “wofford”?

“woffordlol”

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-21-2017, 03:16 AM
“woffordlol”
Or maybe... JNKNS43

OZZIE4DUKE
12-21-2017, 06:41 AM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7926&stc=1

Appropriately Zporked! GTHc 9F!

OldPhiKap
12-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Oh, the places you’ll go!
The people you’ll meet!
The cheaters who stay drunk
On ol’ Franklin Street!

MCFinARL
12-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Interesting--I'm sorry to say, because I saw this plate in my neighborhood the other day, that Virginia will approve a plate that says "BTI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.." Maybe you can move to VA and get your plate here.

Or maybe you can Bowdlerize the phrase--GTBCGTB?

Henderson
12-21-2017, 09:31 AM
I checked out the MS DMV site. You can't get your requested vanity plate in Mississippi if either:

(a) It contains profanity, obscenities, or other offensive language; or
(b) It is already in use.

So it seems clear what's going on here. Any reference to UNC-CH is conclusively deemed profane, obscene, and offensive.

Well, duh.

It also seems likely that thousands of people want that plate you've applied for, and one lucky sucker already has it.

Ken
12-21-2017, 12:06 PM

That’s hilarious! You should try an alternative tag — “FATHER” —which stands for “F&ck All Tar Heels Especially Rasheed” -Kenny D

swood1000
12-21-2017, 12:10 PM
I checked out the MS DMV site. You can't get your requested vanity plate in Mississippi if either:

So it seems clear what's going on here. Any reference to UNC-CH is conclusively deemed profane, obscene, and offensive.

Well, duh.

It also seems likely that thousands of people want that plate you've applied for, and one lucky sucker already has it.

According to this (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/11/where-are-they-now-mike-krzyzewski-first-duke-team), Kenny Dennard has a Texas plate with “GTHCGTH,” and claims that the plate exists in over 20 states.

NSDukeFan
12-21-2017, 12:13 PM

Well, duh.

References to UNC-CH should be considered offensive as real universities are not run by the athletic departments.

davekay1971
12-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Obviously, the Urban Dictionary is to blame. Perhaps a legal remedy might be in order?

Not sure about a legal remedy. But I always recommend a Legal Remedy

http://legalremedybrewing.com/

Assuming those aren't banned in Mississippi...

devildeac
12-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Not sure about a legal remedy. But I always recommend a Legal Remedy

http://legalremedybrewing.com/

Assuming those aren't banned in Mississippi...

I like their slogan:

"Justice is Served"

Their spelling could use a bit of work...

;)