PDA

View Full Version : Boozer was fouled

kako
12-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Had to say it one more time since he's retiring. JWill should've hit the FT, but Boozer got hacked. Still ticks me off. That was a pretty good Duke team that gets forgotten over the years. 6 future NBAers on the roster. Boozer had the best career of them all.

He looked sharp on SportsCenter this morning.

Son of Mojo
12-19-2017, 09:35 PM
IU should've been called with a travel earlier than the FT attempt that was missed. Their inbounder late in the game walked the sideline for a few steps with no call. That always bothered me just as badly as Boozer getting fouled on his rebound.

OldPhiKap
12-19-2017, 10:28 PM
Boozer was fouled

Too soon.

fisheyes
12-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Too soon.

"You must spread some comments" LOL

This is the one game that STILL haunts me.

Why do they still have to wear those horrible red and white striped warm ups? It brings back the nightmare every time I see them.

CameronBlue
12-19-2017, 10:50 PM
So was Daniel Ewing.

jimsumner
12-19-2017, 11:09 PM
Yes, he was.

But it should never have come to that.

Duke had a huge early lead--17 points, IIRC--against a team that had only one future NBA player, Jared Jeffries. But IU simply outworked Duke from there on, bringing a level of physicality and intensity that Duke simply did not match.

That one still bothers me.

cato
12-19-2017, 11:50 PM
If this thread is celebrating Carlos, it should be: “Carlos Boozer: NCAA Champion.”

subzero02
12-20-2017, 12:15 AM
Jared Jeffries admitted to fouling Boozer on the put back... he said his only chance against Boozer's meat hook of an arm was to foul him. JWILL should never have missed the free throw, Indiana should never have fouled JWILL on the 3, Duke should never have allowed Indiana to come back from 17 points down and Jared Jeffries should never have gone to Indiana; he should've been a devil.

ncexnyc
12-20-2017, 12:17 AM
Just watched the replay and came away thinking it wasn't one of JWill's best games.

The sequences around the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half is absolutely brutal for him.

gep
12-20-2017, 12:41 AM
Jared Jeffries admitted to fouling Boozer on the put back... he said his only chance against Boozer's meat hook of an arm was to foul him. JWILL should never have missed the free throw, Indiana should never have fouled JWILL on the 3, Duke should never have allowed Indiana to come back from 17 points down and Jared Jeffries should never have gone to Indiana; he should've been a devil.

This is what I remember the most (and irks me the most). Of course, there were many things that "should" have happened such that situation never occurs. But, that's the game... and it came down to that one play. So be it...

sagegrouse
12-20-2017, 12:45 AM
IU should've been called with a travel earlier than the FT attempt that was missed. Their inbounder late in the game walked the sideline for a few steps with no call. That always bothered me just as badly as Boozer getting fouled on his rebound.

And Chris Duhon stripped the Indiana player -- CLEANLY. And was called for his 5th foul by a ref that assumed he was trying to foul.

UrinalCake
12-20-2017, 12:57 AM
Boozer was definitely fouled but that call is very rarely made on the last play of the game.

Congrats on a great career. Boozer was a workhorse, undersized for a big man but always produced consistent if unspectacular numbers. Like so many, he always represented Duke well. If he was coming out of college today, I doubt he even gets drafted given the direction the league is going, but he made the most of his abilities.

BandAlum83
12-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Interesting how I have no idea what this thread is about. I mean, I can guess, but the season ending losses just go into an inaccessible recess of my brain.

Except 1986, of course. But even that, details fade, it's just the feelings of despair and disappointment for the kids on that amazing team. I got to know them (slightly) when I was a senior and they were freshmen. It's the personal connection and watching them grow as individuals and as a team.

I can clearly remember that we have lots of banners, however.....ACC Tourney, Final 4s and Natties!

1991-1992-2001-2010-2015 I can reel of the years without even thinking! :)

Duke79UNLV77
12-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Most I've ever felt Duke got the short end of officiating in any game, and not just because Boozer was fouled and Duhon had a clean steal. Too bad, because that team was loaded, the region was opening up, and the national championship game was played at a very low level that year.

Bruce Benedict, you should have stuck with being a mediocre catcher! Is that guy even reffing games a the local Y these days??

BLPOG
12-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Interesting how I have no idea what this thread is about. I mean, I can guess, but the season ending losses just go into an inaccessible recess of my brain.

Except 1986, of course. But even that, details fade, it's just the feelings of despair and disappointment for the kids on that amazing team. I got to know them (slightly) when I was a senior and they were freshmen. It's the personal connection and watching them grow as individuals and as a team.

I can clearly remember that we have lots of banners, however...ACC Tourney, Final 4s and Natties!

1991-1992-2001-2010-2015 I can reel of the years without even thinking! :)

For the benefit (to the detriment?) of those who don't immediately know, it's the 2002 Regional Semi-final against Indiana.

And Chris Duhon stripped the Indiana player -- CLEANLY. And was called for his 5th foul by a ref that assumed he was trying to foul.

I seem to remember that play/call, but was it his fifth foul? I just checked the boxscore (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2002-03-21-duke.html) and Duhon is listed with four, although Dahntay had five.

WiJoe
12-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Marty doesn't foul

DukeFanSince1990
12-20-2017, 12:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JO9eJ4tgw

sagegrouse
12-20-2017, 12:03 PM
For the benefit (to the detriment?) of those who don't immediately know, it's the 2002 Regional Semi-final against Indiana.

I seem to remember that play/call, but was it his fifth foul? I just checked the boxscore (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2002-03-21-duke.html) and Duhon is listed with four, although Dahntay had five.

You have to remember that I am seldom right but never in doubt.

anyway, it was a bogus call by a ref who couldn't tell whether or not Duhan got "all ball" -- I was sure he did.

DukeandMdFan
12-20-2017, 12:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFga1xOchcQ.

FWIW

The IU player shuffled his feet on the throw-in at 15.3 seconds left, but that is within the rules. The player throwing it in is limited to a 3-foot wide zone, but traveling, double-dribble are not parts of the rule.

Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:
a The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in 4-11-1.a through .c.

b The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation

c The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in.

d The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until he has released the ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line

Without question, Boozer was fouled. The foul at 4.2 on JWill's three-pointer was more questionable. I'm not saying it wasn't a foul and that "Ball Don't Lie", but the foul didn't affect the shot and JWill wouldn't have fallen to the ground if he was on the blacktop.

Oriole Way
12-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Most I've ever felt Duke got the short end of officiating in any game, and not just because Boozer was fouled and Duhon had a clean steal. Too bad, because that team was loaded, the region was opening up, and the national championship game was played at a very low level that year.

Bruce Benedict, you should have stuck with being a mediocre catcher! Is that guy even reffing games a the local Y these days??

UConn in 2004 was the worst in my book, but the 2002 IU game was terrible as well.

rsvman
12-20-2017, 01:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFga1xOchcQ.

FWIW

The IU player shuffled his feet on the throw-in at 15.3 seconds left, but that is within the rules. The player throwing it in is limited to a 3-foot wide zone, but traveling, double-dribble are not parts of the rule.

Art. 8. The following pertain to a designated spot:
a The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented disposal of the ball out of bounds as in 4-11-1.a through .c.

b The designated spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth limitation

c The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in.

d The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until he has released the ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end line

Without question, Boozer was fouled. The foul at 4.2 on JWill's three-pointer was more questionable. I'm not saying it wasn't a foul and that "Ball Don't Lie", but the foul didn't affect the shot and JWill wouldn't have fallen to the ground if he was on the blacktop.

I think he went more than 3 feet. I just watched the replay to double-check it. I feel pretty sure that was a missed call, but I've been wrong before.

Highlander
12-20-2017, 02:22 PM
UConn in 2004 was the worst in my book, but the 2002 IU game was terrible as well.

2004 UConn sticks in my craw as a game we should have won. Called a buddy immediately afterwards and said (and I quote): "We got f*&($n hosed." It is rare for me to blame the officials exclusively for a loss, but the calls in that game were so maddeningly inconsistent, to this day it is the worst officiated game I've ever seen aside from the '72 Olympics.

Billy Dat
12-20-2017, 02:30 PM
2001/2002 is the first year of KenPom data.

Duke's Final Overall KenPom ranking - 1
Duke's final KenPom Offense ranking - 1
Duke's final KenPom Defense ranking - 1

Natty_B
12-20-2017, 02:47 PM
This loss was easily one of the most devastating of the K era (and maybe became more devastating over time as the sheer talent Duke had became evident in long NBA careers). Kent State was the next opponent so it's easy to imagine Duke getting another game with Maryland thus completing an epic two years for the programs. Terps whipped Duke pretty soundly in Cole that year so they probably would have been favored.

If memory serves Boozer had declared he was leaving after 3 years very early - even before Williams. He then surprisingly sunk in the draft to the second round (go back and look at some of the dudes picked ahead of him - sheesh) and began a odd ("betraying" Cleveland, Prince, the spray on hair) and very prosperous career. Certainly one of the best overall NBA stats from the Duke family. Anyway to C. Booz - a memorable dude.

Billy Dat
12-20-2017, 02:49 PM
very prosperous career

Salary alone = $146MM!!!!!!!!!!

Arguably the 3rd best Duke NBA career behind Grant and Elton.

devildeac
12-20-2017, 03:00 PM

I must have borrowed your copy...

:mad:

BLPOG
12-20-2017, 03:11 PM
This loss was easily one of the most devastating of the K era (and maybe became more devastating over time as the sheer talent Duke had became evident in long NBA careers). Kent State was the next opponent so it's easy to imagine Duke getting another game with Maryland thus completing an epic two years for the programs. Terps whipped Duke pretty soundly in Cole that year so they probably would have been favored.

If memory serves Boozer had declared he was leaving after 3 years very early - even before Williams. He then surprisingly sunk in the draft to the second round (go back and look at some of the dudes picked ahead of him - sheesh) and began a odd ("betraying" Cleveland, Prince, the spray on hair) and very prosperous career. Certainly one of the best overall NBA stats from the Duke family. Anyway to C. Booz - a memorable dude.

For the edification of those benighted fans not knowing the Prince story - see here (http://www.espn.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6270915).

Truth&Justise
12-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Carlos Boozer was a two-time Olympian, two-time All Star, and once made the All-NBA 3rd Team. Those are some serious accomplishments for any player, let alone someone who was passed over in the draft at least once by every team.

Congratulations to Carlos on a great professional career that exceeded almost all expectations.

brevity
12-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Had to say it one more time since he's retiring. JWill should've hit the FT, but Boozer got hacked. Still ticks me off. That was a pretty good Duke team that gets forgotten over the years. 6 future NBAers on the roster. Boozer had the best career of them all.

He looked sharp on SportsCenter this morning.

It's weird when the opening post is also a threadjack. But I guess we don't need a "I appreciate Carlos Boozer's basketball career" thread when we can have yet another "I like to live in the past" thread. I'm surprised no one has suggested bringing back the round robin in conference play.

I appreciate Carlos Boozer's basketball career. I also appreciate the handful of posters above me who maintained their focus. Sporks given, if possible.

therealcoachK
12-20-2017, 05:02 PM
I dated this woman for 6 years. She dumped me on a Saturday in March, 2002. After 6 years with her, I felt horrible.
5 days later Duke lost that sweet 16 game to the Hoosiers. That made me feel worse than getting dumped. No wonder I am still single-->my priorities are all out of whack. (not really)