PDA

View Full Version : Watch Trae Young--Oklahoma basketball

53n206
12-17-2017, 12:19 AM
He may be the best college player in America. Wow! ESPN shows highlights.

JasonEvans
12-17-2017, 01:39 AM
He may be the best college player in America. Wow! ESPN shows highlights.

So does YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbOXPpVejJ0

Steven43
12-17-2017, 03:09 AM
So does YouTube.

I'm calling it right now: the second coming of Steph Curry.

Saratoga2
12-17-2017, 08:12 AM

I don't see his decision making being all that good. He looks like a gunner when he shoots threes early in the clock with a solid lead with less then 10 to go.

arnie
12-17-2017, 08:17 AM
I don't see his decision making being all that good. He looks like a gunner when he shoots threes early in the clock with a solid lead with less then 10 to go.

That sounds like a PG dear to our hearts. Maybe a freshman issue. Of course Mr. Young makes a healthy % of his 3s.

WillJ
12-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Wow.

flyingdutchdevil
12-17-2017, 09:55 AM
So does YouTube.

The most amazing thing about these Frankie Vision highlights is they include every made and MISSED shots. And he didn't miss that many shots.

This kid is a stud. Maybe the best shooter in college ball right now.

tbyers11
12-17-2017, 10:04 AM

I've watched him play a few stints beyond just the Wichita St game yesterday. Kid is legit. Reminds me of Tyus with a little better shot that calls his own number a lot more. He was awesome in the 1st half shooting and passing.

That being said I also agree with you that if one only watched the last 6 minutes of the Wichita St game, Trae Young looked like a ball hog that took bad shots (frequently early in the shot clock) and forced some really tough passes in traffic that led to turnovers. Oklahoma should be glad that they were up 12. Maybe he needs to learn "stall ball" decision-making a bit more ;)

NSDukeFan
12-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Very Chris Jackson at LSU like.

bullettoothtony
12-17-2017, 10:28 AM
It's been awhile since we've had a national player of the year. I hope it ends up being Bagley but it looks like the competition could be fierce. Young and Sexton have been really impressive. Ayton's number's are very similar to Bagley's. Just to name a few.

What happened with Young's recruitment? Weren't we heavily involved at one point? Just curious, not intended to be a dig at Duval.

Steven43
12-18-2017, 12:28 AM

He’s a college freshman. He will learn over time when to take the shot. Besides, I’m mainly talking about his skill set, particularly his ability to get his shot off quickly and accurately from just about anywhere. He also appears to have very good handles and passing ability; probably a better overall player as a freshman than Curry was. This guy might be the real deal. We shall see. I’m just excited about the possibilities.

JasonEvans
12-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Most of the early Mock Drafts have Trae Young going around the end of the lottery. Steph Curry went #7 and the teams who picked higher certainly regret their decision (except for maybe the Clipps - Griffin - and the Thunder - Harden). I wonder if there will be some inflation of Trae's stock because shooters are so darn valuable at this point in the NBA.

-Jason "This is a weak year for PGs. Young, Sexton, and Duval are the only PGs currently rated as first round draft picks" Evans

ChillinDuke
12-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Most of the early Mock Drafts have Trae Young going around the end of the lottery. Steph Curry went #7 and the teams who picked higher certainly regret their decision (except for maybe the Clipps - Griffin - and the Thunder - Harden). I wonder if there will be some inflation of Trae's stock because shooters are so darn valuable at this point in the NBA.

-Jason "This is a weak year for PGs. Young, Sexton, and Duval are the only PGs currently rated as first round draft picks" Evans

I do wonder what Trevon's stock will look like come end of season. You said it yourself, shooters are so darn valuable in the NBA right now. And Trevon can't shoot. He's crazy athletic with good size. But will that get him a first rounder, let alone a lottery pick?

I imagine it will, but not without a healthy dose of risk. Kid's gotta learn to shoot.

- Chillin

kshepinthehouse
12-18-2017, 11:48 AM
I do wonder what Trevon's stock will look like come end of season. You said it yourself, shooters are so darn valuable in the NBA right now. And Trevon can't shoot. He's crazy athletic with good size. But will that get him a first rounder, let alone a lottery pick?

I imagine it will, but not without a healthy dose of risk. Kid's gotta learn to shoot.

- Chillin

Out of all the skills he has, his biggest attribute (athleticism) can't be taught. Shooting is something anyone can learn to do. Whether he will or not remains to be seen.

SupaDave
12-18-2017, 03:54 PM

- Chillin

There was a time when John Wall was considered a poor shooter. Those days are gone. Ballers get points and Duval is a baller. The NBA has plenty of folks to help him with that shot.

Spanarkel
12-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Marques has been watching Trae Young for some time now

https://twitter.com/TimMartin_TX/status/812462190624178180

Saratoga2
12-18-2017, 04:57 PM
I've watched him play a few stints beyond just the Wichita St game yesterday. Kid is legit. Reminds me of Tyus with a little better shot that calls his own number a lot more. He was awesome in the 1st half shooting and passing.

That being said I also agree with you that if one only watched the last 6 minutes of the Wichita St game, Trae Young looked like a ball hog that took bad shots (frequently early in the shot clock) and forced some really tough passes in traffic that led to turnovers. Oklahoma should be glad that they were up 12. Maybe he needs to learn "stall ball" decision-making a bit more ;)

It turned out that I did only see maybe the last 8 minutes of the game. He can get to the rim but does need solid coaching on how to slow the play down and look for solid shots. I wondered if Oklahoma was going to give the game away at the end.

gam7
12-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Trae Young has 15 points (5-8 shooting) in the first half of today's OU game. Plus, 13 assists! They are playing East Cupcake State, but still, I can't remember anyone at Duke ever getting double digit assists in a half against anyone.

They scored 53 points in the half. He either scored or assisted on 43 of those points. 5 of the remaining 10 points were free throws by players other than Trae. So, in the entire half, OU scored 1 two-point FG and 1 three-point FG by someone other than Trae that was not assisted by Trae.

nmduke2001
12-19-2017, 10:54 PM
Trae Young has 15 points (5-8 shooting) in the first half of today's OU game. Plus, 13 assists! They are playing East Cupcake State, but still, I can't remember anyone at Duke ever getting double digit assists in a half against anyone.

They scored 53 points in the half. He either scored or assisted on 43 of those points. 5 of the remaining 10 points were free throws by players other than Trae. So, in the entire half, OU scored 1 two-point FG and 1 three-point FG by someone other than Trae that was not assisted by Trae.

Finished with 26 points and a record tying 22 assists.

gam7
12-20-2017, 02:16 AM
Finished with 26 points and a record tying 22 assists.

Wow, did not realize 22 was the record. And he did it in just 29 minutes.

subzero02
12-20-2017, 03:49 AM
I'm guessing a school has never had a Naismith POY and a Heisman winner in the same season. It could happen this year.

devildeac
12-22-2017, 07:48 PM
OU up 65-35 on NU with 0:20 left in the 1st half and Young already has 22 points and 10 assists:eek:.

gam7
12-22-2017, 07:54 PM
OU up 65-35 on NU with 0:20 left in the 1st half and Young already has 22 points and 10 assists:eek:.

Finishes half with 25 and 10. And this is a top 50 kenpom team they are playing...

As for all of these Steph Curry comparisons, let's revisit that in 10 years.

bullettoothtony
12-22-2017, 07:56 PM
I like Duval but I can't help but wonder what if.

MChambers
12-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Finishes half with 25 and 10. And this is a top 50 kenpom team they are playing...

Law, NU’s best perimeter defender, is missing the game due to a concussion he suffered last week. With him, NU would only be losing by 25!

Wander
12-22-2017, 08:03 PM

God, if only Trae Young made his team better.

subzero02
12-22-2017, 09:04 PM

He's better than Curry was as a freshman. They look extremely similar in terms of handle and passing... but Trae is definitely more advanced than a freshman Curry in both departments. Curry didn't develop point guard skills on Young's level until he reached the NBA.

thedukelamere
01-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Great article from Titus today r/e Trae Young. What an unbelievable show this kid puts on every night.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/3/16843358/trae-young-ncaa-history

I know it has been mentioned before and is a complete homer thing to say, but is it wrong to think Stones might have looked similar if he was devoid of Jah and Winslow? Granted, this is not an alternative universe I'd be interested in.

JasonEvans
01-03-2018, 05:17 PM
I know it has been mentioned before and is a complete homer thing to say, but is it wrong to think Stones might have looked similar if he was devoid of Jah and Winslow? Granted, this is not an alternative universe I'd be interested in.

I don't think Tyus could be nearly the shooter or scorer that Trae Young is.