PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke Starts as Number One

burnspbesq
12-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Inside Lacrosse’s 2018 Face-Off Yearbook dropped yesterday, and the headline is that Duke tops the pre-season rankings. The top five are Duke, Albany, Yale, Naryland, and Denver.

Will have more to say about the outlook for this year’s team over the next couple of weeks.

The new season starts February 8 against High Point.

jaytoc
12-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Intentional? Freudian?

budwom
12-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Inside Lacrosse’s 2018 Face-Off Yearbook dropped yesterday, and the headline is that Duke tops the pre-season rankings. The top five are Duke, Albany, Yale, Naryland, and Denver.

Will have more to say about the outlook for this year’s team over the next couple of weeks.

Great...PB, what does the freshman class feature? Always gotta look out for those Albanians...ever since Ceausescu died, they've been a handful.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-14-2017, 09:42 AM

Great news. When does the full schedule come out? I keep checking GoDuke but there is nothing there yet.

chrishoke
12-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Wow, I'm frankly shocked. Did folks here anticipate such high regard for this year's team?

devildeac
12-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Intentional? Freudian?

I thought it was Garyland...

:rolleyes:

BigWayne
12-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Great news. When does the full schedule come out? I keep checking GoDuke but there is nothing there yet.

Duke opens the season Feb. 3 against Air Force Academy in Durham. Faceoff is set for 1 p.m., at Koskinen Stadium. The full 2018 schedule will be released next week.

Saw this at the end of the article about the rankings on goduke.com

sagegrouse
12-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Great...PB, what does the freshman class feature? Always gotta look out for those Albanians...ever since Ceausescu died, they've been a handful.

Enver Hoxha

TKG
12-14-2017, 02:30 PM

We need your preseason scouting report on the team!

MCFinARL
12-14-2017, 03:15 PM
I'm pretty surprised by this, given recent difficulty getting to the final weekend of lacrosse, as well as the need to find a new lead face-off man (sophomore Brian Smyth appears to be the only person on this year's roster who took any face-offs last year).

On the other hand, based only on the brief comments about each team in the Inside Lacrosse online feature on their top 25, it looks like every team has some holes to fill, so maybe there was no obvious choice for no. 1.

duke2x
12-14-2017, 08:21 PM
The schedule actually starts on 2/3 v. Air Force per goduke.com. That series has started to rival Richmond in football for me. We owe them.

The full schedule will be released next week also per goduke.com. You could fill in the blanks through laxpower/IL/Google. I think we play @Towson instead of one of the other BWI/DC schools this year.

I don't see a problem with the tournament results and our preseason ranking. Those are usually based on who is returning more than anything else. We've also been underseeded at the end the past two years, particularly last year. OSU was last year's runner-up, meaning that game was almost a Final 4 level match in the 2nd round (should have been #2 OSU v. #5 or #6 Duke). /rant

I'm looking forward to the season starting. Someone needs to undo that curse that has been our major sports (FB, BB, Lax at Duke) since Halloween 2015 before it does.

burnspbesq
12-14-2017, 11:46 PM
The schedule is still kinda up in the air. The Air Force game referred to above does not appear in the schedule that accompanies the Duke profile in IL. And Cleveland State's schedule shows a home game with Duke on Sunday 3/18 (the day after the Towson game).

We'll know soon enough, I guess. FWIW, here's what IL has:

2/8 High Point
2/10 Jacksonville
2/17 Denver
2/24 @ Penn
3/3 Richmond
3/10 @ Loyola
3/17 @ Towson
3/24 Syracuse
3/31 UNC
4/7 @ ND
4/14 @ UVa
4/21 Marquette
4/27-29 ACC Tournament @ UVa
5/6 BU @ Bethpage, NY

If we go 4-0 against SoCon, we should get their automatic bid.

burnspbesq
12-14-2017, 11:57 PM
the need to find a new lead face-off man (sophomore Brian Smyth appears to be the only person on this year's roster who took any face-offs last year).

Joe Stein is the number two rated incoming freshman FOGO, per the IL recruiting issue.

budwom
12-15-2017, 08:38 AM
I keep hoping they'll schedule a game up in New England, ack...

burnspbesq
12-15-2017, 08:45 AM
I keep hoping they'll schedule a game up in New England, ack...

I hear that Foxborough can be lovely on Memorial Day ...

MCFinARL
12-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Joe Stein is the number two rated incoming freshman FOGO, per the IL recruiting issue.

Ah, that would make a difference.

I hear that Foxborough can be lovely on Memorial Day ...

Emphasis on the "can be." Based on personal experience, it can also be hot as H@#$ (though probably not as hot as Baltimore) and a traffic nightmare. But far better Foxborough on Memorial Day 2018 than not. ;-) Meanwhile, the NCAA describes the championship location rather disingenuously as "Gillette Stadium, Boston." That's kind of like saying "Cowboys Stadium, Dallas."

Doria
12-15-2017, 04:52 PM
Wow, I'm frankly shocked. Did folks here anticipate such high regard for this year's team?

Even with Stein, I’m still very surprised by this. We’ll see! Hope we can live up to it!

devilirium
12-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Had we kept Preston Heard in that frosh class, I would've felt better. Terrific goalie that Penn flipped.

MCFinARL
12-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Had we kept Preston Heard in that frosh class, I would've felt better. Terrific goalie that Penn flipped.

We still have Danny Fowler, however, as a grad student with a year of eligibility left. So there will be a solid, experienced player in the goal.

buddy
12-19-2017, 10:18 PM
The schedule is still kinda up in the air. The Air Force game referred to above does not appear in the schedule that accompanies the Duke profile in IL. And Cleveland State's schedule shows a home game with Duke on Sunday 3/18 (the day after the Towson game).

2/8 High Point
2/10 Jacksonville
2/17 Denver
2/24 @ Penn
3/3 Richmond
3/10 @ Loyola
3/17 @ Towson
3/24 Syracuse
3/31 UNC
4/7 @ ND
4/14 @ UVa
4/21 Marquette
5/6 BU @ Bethpage, NY

The Denver website says the game is February 16 at 3 Mountain time, which would be 5 o'clock EST.

Also, wanted to bump the thread

JasonEvans
12-20-2017, 12:37 AM
Someone help me out here...

Which is more amazing:
A) The fact that there is a position called FOGO where your only job is to face off and then get off;
or B) The fact that the FOGO might be the most important position on the field?

CrazyNotCrazie
01-03-2018, 11:17 AM

2/8 High Point
2/10 Jacksonville
2/17 Denver
2/24 @ Penn
3/3 Richmond
3/10 @ Loyola
3/17 @ Towson
3/24 Syracuse
3/31 UNC
4/7 @ ND
4/14 @ UVa
4/21 Marquette
5/6 BU @ Bethpage, NY

The official schedule is up on GoDuke. The projected schedule above is fairly close, with major differences being the home Air Force and road Cleveland State games that were referenced actually do exist (interesting back-to-back at Towson and at Cleveland State), and Denver, Carolina and Marquette are all on Fridays, not Saturdays. Also, BU is in Durham, not Long Island.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=2027&SPSID=25942&DB_OEM_ID=4200

MCFinARL
01-03-2018, 11:26 AM
The official schedule is up on GoDuke. The projected schedule above is fairly close, with major differences being the home Air Force and road Cleveland State games that were referenced actually do exist (interesting back-to-back at Towson and at Cleveland State), and Denver, Carolina and Marquette are all on Fridays, not Saturdays. Also, BU is in Durham, not Long Island.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=2027&SPSID=25942&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Agree the Towson/Cleveland State back-to-back is interesting. Not that unusual for Duke to schedule relatively early games two days in a row, with the second usually an easier opponent--but to play Towson in Maryland on Saturday at noon and then play in Cleveland starting 25 hours later seems like a grind.