PDA

View Full Version : Louisville's second greatest athlete

Olympic Fan
12-08-2017, 12:23 PM
In view of the comment on the front page that Wes Unseld was the second-greatest athlete in Louisville history (after Muhammad Ali), I thought of this article from Sports Illustrated (1999):

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/12/27/8113622/the-50-greatest-sports-figures-from-kentucky

It rates Unseld No. 3 behind Ali and Olympic swimmer Mary Meagher.

Personally, I would rate Pee Wee Reese No. 2 (unless you count Johnny Unitas, who was born in Pittsburgh, but played his college football at Louisville). If you are counting horses (which SI does) you have to rank Man o War and Citation pretty high.

The Courier-Journal ran an article last year arguing that Lamar Jackson was the town's second greatest athlete. But he is a Florida native who only played his college ball in Louisville, so if you count him, you have to count Unitas, who had a far more significant career than Jackson has had so far.

All interesting to me -- including the fact that NOBODY disputes Ali's rank as No. 1.

richmclean
12-08-2017, 11:19 PM
Ali then Unseld.

Jim3k
12-09-2017, 01:16 AM
Since some seem to have forgotten Mary Meagher (or are too young to know), the link is to her Wiki page. She was pretty damn fantastic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_T._Meagher). Greater than Wes Unseld? Apples and Oranges. As a basketball fan, I'd go with Unseld. Coming from a swimming family myself, I'd go with Meagher. Tie goes to the woman.

arnie
12-09-2017, 06:29 AM
In view of the comment on the front page that Wes Unseld was the second-greatest athlete in Louisville history (after Muhammad Ali), I thought of this article from Sports Illustrated (1999):

https://www.si.com/vault/1999/12/27/8113622/the-50-greatest-sports-figures-from-kentucky

It rates Unseld No. 3 behind Ali and Olympic swimmer Mary Meagher.

Personally, I would rate Pee Wee Reese No. 2 (unless you count Johnny Unitas, who was born in Pittsburgh, but played his college football at Louisville). If you are counting horses (which SI does) you have to rank Man o War and Citation pretty high.

The Courier-Journal ran an article last year arguing that Lamar Jackson was the town's second greatest athlete. But he is a Florida native who only played his college ball in Louisville, so if you count him, you have to count Unitas, who had a far more significant career than Jackson has had so far.

All interesting to me -- including the fact that NOBODY disputes Ali's rank as No. 1.

#23 still gives me nightmares and certainly not a golden vision.

Henderson
12-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Comparing athletes across sports (and genders) is tough.

But when it came to elbow bending, I'd say Hunter Thompson was one of the best.

KenTankerous
12-09-2017, 11:51 PM
He's below Ali and arguably fourth or fifth but how does he NOT come up on this discussion board? Granted, 1986 was a minute ago (and y'all ought to be over that by now).

KenTankerous
12-10-2017, 12:26 AM
Comparing athletes across sports (and genders) is tough.

But when it came to elbow bending, I'd say Hunter Thompson was one of the best.

I have several cousins and three friends that knew the man, well, two went to school with him, one dated the clown. He was not regarded with high esteem. No one claims him as a representative of our fine city. Even as a drinker, he left crap tips and dirty tables.

But we have GREAT food, hit me up if you find yourself in the 'Ville.

Of course, this is a place that worships Rick Padidas. So basketball ethic wise. We lost our cred when Denny left the house.

Jim3k
12-10-2017, 02:33 AM
And Bud Olsen doesn't even make the list.

Bud pretty much broke Louisville's sound barrier in the early 60s. No, not for his speed, but for his power. Eight year NBA-ABA career after college. When he graduated with a 20 pts per game average, then-independent Louisville had been imprinted on the map. A fine player for his time; got to know his play when he was with the Sonics.

Jim3k
12-10-2017, 02:36 AM
He's below Ali and arguably fourth or fifth but how does he NOT come up on this discussion board? Granted, 1986 was a minute ago (and y'all ought to be over that by now).

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7902&stc=1

Darrell was outstanding. But '86 was Pervis's year.

KenTankerous
12-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Darrell was outstanding. But '86 was Pervis's year.

True that.

I hate when I think I'm smarter than google.