PDA

View Full Version : 2017-18 Undefeated Thread

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2017, 12:05 PM
I think it's time. With Kansas losing yesterday, there are only 9 remaining undefeated teams. I've categorized them below:

Legit Title Contenders:
-Duke
-Vilanova

Really Good Teams with Some Really Good Wins:
-Miami
-FSU
-Arizona St

Good Teams that Are Untested:
-TCU
-Mississippi St

That's Your Schedule? No wonder You're Undefeated:
-Georgetown
-Valparaiso

Valparaiso is likely falling today against Purdue. TCU (Nevada) and Arizona St (Kansas) are getting tested this weekend. Miss St plays ranked Cinci on 12/12. Georgetown plays Cuse on 12/16 (good luck, Ewing). Miami will likely go undefeated until the New Year. FSU has a tough-ish against Oklahoma St and, if they survive, will face a likely undefeated Duke on 12/30. And 'Nova? They play Butler on 12/30. If they win, they'll play Xavier and a few other tough teams in the New Year.

I think 'Nova is the last undefeated team standing. Just my two cents.

kAzE
12-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Is the opposite of the "not jinxing it" thread?

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Lol. Yup. I know we're going to lose. Just like the other 8 teams are going to lose. The only question is when.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-07-2017, 12:17 PM
I think it's time. With Kansas losing yesterday, there are only 9 remaining undefeated teams. I've categorized them below:

Legit Title Contenders:
-Duke
-Vilanova

-Miami
-FSU
-Arizona St

-TCU
-Mississippi St

-Georgetown
-Valparaiso

Valparaiso is likely falling today against Purdue. TCU (Nevada) and Arizona St (Kansas) are getting tested this weekend. Miss St plays ranked Cinci on 12/12. Georgetown plays Cuse on 12/16 (good luck, Ewing). Miami will likely go undefeated until the New Year. FSU has a tough-ish against Oklahoma St and, if they survive, will face a likely undefeated Duke on 12/30. And 'Nova? They play Butler on 12/30. If they win, they'll play Xavier and a few other tough teams in the New Year.

12/30 looms as a big day for this list.

MarkD83
12-07-2017, 12:44 PM

This was my first reaction to this thread. (Don't jinx Duke or we will lose to BC.)

However, I do like this thread since it keeps me interested in these other teams until the ACC season starts.

Skitzle
12-07-2017, 12:49 PM
This is my favorite thread every year. I like rooting against undefeated teams. Everybody must lose!!! Except Duke.

BandAlum83
12-07-2017, 01:35 PM
This is my favorite thread every year. I like rooting against undefeated teams. Everybody must lose!!! Except Duke.

I'll be rooting for Bobby Hurley's ASU team against Kansas!

moonpie23
12-07-2017, 01:41 PM
please lock this thread or change the title to "SO FAR SO GOOD"

MrPoon
12-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Saw an article the other day and didn’t want to jinx us and post it but since someone else posted the undefeated idea, we can all pile on to them, not on me. Anyway the article had statistical analysis that Duke was not favored in only three games this year, @miami, @UNC, @VTech.
Of course if you all remember your stats, the odds of a loss are much greater than the sum of these three games.
With such a young team and the propensity to fall behind early, a loss certainly feels inevitable.
So lets think about the type of team that posses the greatest risk.
* Bigs who can defend, rebound and get Carter in foul trouble. It doesn’t need to be a great offensive center, IU showed us that Carter is still learning D and an average big can score.
* Guards, especially PGs who can penetrate off the dribble. This has been a problems for years and FL sure showed how that will lead to easy buckets.
* Teams that run, especially off of TOs, our transition D is... well
* Depth, with our four big man rotation, you better have a bench who can help with fouls, because someone on the inside is going to get a bunch against Duke.
* 3 pts, hypothetical opponent needs to hit them when open because we still leave people open off of screens at the arc, especially the second man (by that I mean Duke usually shuts down the primary scorer through coaching, so it needs to be the next guy who hits the shots)
* Strong home crowd. IU showed us that Duke, even with a win is not ready to dominate a mid-level Power 5 team on the road with a great home court (I was there it was AWESOME), let alone a top flight level team (except UNC where home court doesn’t seem to impact either team).
* 3pt D, this is also a road issue. Seems like we are much better shooting the 3 at home.

The hypothetical team doesn’t need all of these but several of them will be key to causing the first loss.
And even with all of the Bagley and GA may still be too much.

I have not seen all of these teams yet so some of this will be looking at coaching styles but who has enough of these characteristics? (I don’t believe anyone will have them at Cameron).
FSU at Duke has some of these but not this year
@Miami
@Wake (down this year but could be a trap game)
@UNC
@V Tech

Long post but the schedule is really loaded for home games (hurt last year but good news this one) but Sy, LU, FSU, and UV all at home without road game. Didnt’ notice that until now. If Duke survives Coral Gables... could be interesting.

AGDukesky
12-07-2017, 01:55 PM
please lock this thread or change the title to "SO FAR SO GOOD"

Or maybe “Delaying the Inevitable”w

devildeac
12-07-2017, 02:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2LOMajSwM

But not yet...

JasonEvans
12-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Saw an article the other day and didn’t want to jinx us and post it but since someone else posted the undefeated idea, we can all pile on to them, not on me. Anyway the article had statistical analysis that Duke was not favored in only three games this year, @miami, @UNC, @VTech.

I would love love love to see an analysis of why Duke will not be favored at Va Tech, the #31 team in Pomeroy's rankings. If that game was on the books in Vegas today, I guarantee you Duke would be at least a 4 or 5 point pick. One thing this does highlight is how favorable Duke's ACC schedule is this year. We get almost all the other top teams at home, not on the road. Miami is the only good team that we only play in their place.

-Jason "undefeated is a pipe dream... but Duke will be a solid (7+ points) favorite in all but maybe a couple games this season" Evans

ChillinDuke
12-07-2017, 03:17 PM
I would love love love to see an analysis of why Duke will not be favored at Va Tech, the #31 team in Pomeroy's rankings. If that game was on the books in Vegas today, I guarantee you Duke would be at least a 4 or 5 point pick. One thing this does highlight is how favorable Duke's ACC schedule is this year. We get almost all the other top teams at home, not on the road. Miami is the only good team that we only play in their place.

-Jason "undefeated is a pipe dream... but Duke will be a solid (7+ points) favorite in all but maybe a couple games this season" Evans

You guarantee that? I highly doubt that would be the case. That would imply Duke around an 8 or 9 point favorite on a neutral court as a matchup of #5 vs #31 (KenPom).

While not utterly impossible, that's pretty far out there in the spectrum of rational lines. And I have ~1000 data points from this season to prove that.

ETA - The line on that game would be anywhere from PK to Duke -2. If they really want to push us out, they'd maybe go 2.5 or 3. 4 is too much. 5 is way too much. If they listed it, I'd take VT in a heartbeat.

- Chillin

BandAlum83
12-07-2017, 03:33 PM

The pendulum has swung. Last year, NC got the benefit of the unbalanced schedule. This year Duke definitely has the benefit. I do hope we can take advantage of it and win the conference going away and get the #1 seed in the ACC Tourney.

Olympic Fan
12-07-2017, 03:53 PM

Legit Title Contenders:
-Duke
-Vilanova

-Miami
-FSU
-Arizona St

-TCU
-Mississippi St

-Georgetown
-Valparaiso

Not sure how you have Mississippi State -- schedule strength 347 according to Pomeroy -- in anything but the bottom category. It's actually a much easier schedule that Valpo (317)

UrinalCake
12-07-2017, 04:49 PM
When predicting our first loss, you have to factor in the schedule. We play FSU after a 10-day layoff and a stretch where we only play 1 other game in 21 days, spanning the exam and holiday breaks. We know the team will be rusty, and the Crazies will be on break too (to be fair, FSU will be coming off a long layoff as well, and they have to play on the road). I could totally see this as a game where we aren't hitting any shots at all from outside, and FSU has the size and athleticism inside to pack it in and hold their own on the boards. If both teams are undefeated at that point then we know our opponent will be rearing to go.

@Miami will be a Monday evening game following a Saturday in which we play Wake at home at noon. Pretty short turnaround time.

@VT will also be a Monday game following a Saturday game. Plus it will be the game that precedes the home finale against the CHeats, so potential trap game there.

Not sure what Villanova's schedule looks like but they seem like a reasonable pick to be the last unbeaten.

uh_no
12-07-2017, 05:08 PM
When predicting our first loss

Me thinks we disagree on the premise here :D

Listen to Quants
12-07-2017, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=MrPoon;1022001]Saw an article the other day and didn’t want to jinx us and post it but since someone else posted the undefeated idea, we can all pile on to them, not on me. Anyway the article had statistical analysis that Duke was not favored in only three games this year, @miami, @UNC, @VTech.
<snip much good stuff>
Just want to add that those analyses obviously use the Duke performance to date. With 4 freshmen starting there is every reason to hope that Duke improves more than other teams. It is plausible that Duke will be favored in every game this year. Less plausible is that they will be undefeated.

Rich
12-07-2017, 07:15 PM
When predicting our first loss, you have to factor in the schedule. We play FSU after a 10-day layoff and a stretch where we only play 1 other game in 21 days, spanning the exam and holiday breaks. We know the team will be rusty, and the Crazies will be on break too (to be fair, FSU will be coming off a long layoff as well, and they have to play on the road). I could totally see this as a game where we aren't hitting any shots at all from outside, and FSU has the size and athleticism inside to pack it in and hold their own on the boards. If both teams are undefeated at that point then we know our opponent will be rearing to go.

@Miami will be a Monday evening game following a Saturday in which we play Wake at home at noon. Pretty short turnaround time.

@VT will also be a Monday game following a Saturday game. Plus it will be the game that precedes the home finale against the CHeats, so potential trap game there.

Not sure what Villanova's schedule looks like but they seem like a reasonable pick to be the last unbeaten.

...the only certainty with us is that if it's an away game, the opposing team's fans will storm the court.

throatybeard
12-07-2017, 07:38 PM
...the only certainty with us is that if it's an away game, the opposing team's fans will storm the court.

This Duke team is so good, we'll beat the home team by ten, and their fans will still storm the court.

MChambers
12-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Getting destroyed by Purdue. Georgetown is hosting Howard, so the worst schedule in Division I will get slightly worse.

juise
12-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Georgetown was supposed to be in the PK80 and ducked out this summer after their coaching change. I think they didn’t want to hang three L’s on Ewing tho early in his tenure. I believe that DePaul took their place. It will be interesting to see how the Hoyas transition from this schedule to conference play.

Steven43
12-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Duke will lose at least four games this season, probably more. Schedule is too tough, players are too young, PG play is inconsistent, 3-point shooting is even more inconsistent, it’s tough to win on the road, travel wears out even the best of us, and the constant media attention that comes with being Duke will all combine to add up to at least four losses, probably more. And I’m perfectly fine with that. It’s healthy to lose some games.

On another note, is Bobby starting to look like a serious contender to eventually take over for K? How amazing would that be? Our greatest PG and possibly K’s most beloved player eventually replacing him. Gives me goosebumps.

JasonEvans
12-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Duke will lose at least four games this season, probably more.

Just so we are clear... are you talking 4 regular season games or are you including the ACC and other post-season tourneys?

Cause if you are talking 4 losses in the regular season, we may have the makings of a wager.

weezie
12-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Don't like this thread. Talk about something else please.

Steven43
12-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Just so we are clear... are you talking 4 regular season games or are you including the ACC and other post-season tourneys?

Cause if you are talking 4 losses in the regular season, we may have the makings of a wager.

Entire season.

Olympic Fan
12-07-2017, 10:16 PM
I like this thread ...

But let me be clear. I don't think the thread suggests that Duke will be unbeaten (40-0) this season. I see it as a thread counting down the nation's last few unbeaten.

I DO think Duke will lose a game or two or three or four this season. But I think that trying to project the losses is futile. I think back to 2015, when Duke opened 14-0 and finished with a national title. Duke won almost all the game we might have expected to lose -- at Wisconsin, at Virginia, at Louisville, at FSU, at Syracuse and at UNC.

The three regular season games we lost included two that nobody would have guessed -- at NC State and Miami at home (we knew the game at No. 11 Notre Dame would be tough).

I THINK it will be that was this season too -- we'll win the tough ones at Miami and at Virginia and at UNC. but we'll lose to a midlevel ACC team or two on the road.

(Note: All projections subject to good health).

indy1duke
12-07-2017, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Steven43;1022152]Duke will lose at least four games this season, probably more. Schedule is too tough, players are too young, PG play is inconsistent, 3-point shooting is even more inconsistent, it’s tough to win on the road, travel wears out even the best of us, and the constant media attention that comes with being Duke will all combine to add up to at least four losses, probably more. And I’m perfectly fine with that. It’s healthy to lose some games.

I don't read Steven's quote as being limited to the regular season. If it were I would definitely love a wager. We have the makings of a great team and absent unforeseen injuries or illness I just don't see more than 4 losses, including the ACC and NCAA tournaments and I really lean towards two total losses. Yes, I know that is optimistic, but seriously Allen is playing off the charts and Bagley is a transcendent talent.

I don't see Fl. State as our first loss. The team will be psyched up to play another undefeated team in Cameron. They won't be sneaking up on us. I believe the coaches will have them hungry for FSU. Miami is possibly our first loss. We will have competitive games at the cheaters, at Va Tech and possibly some of the home games will be competitive, but this team knows how to win and the rebounding will be relentless and doesn't depend on finesse and touch. Duke is simply going to be a tough out, especially when they start to learn the intricacies of M2M defense. Duke's adjusted defense currently ranks 54 according to Pomeroy. I should be worried, but I will note that we have played and beaten several excellent defensive squads. MSU is ranked 2, Texas 7 and Florida 33.

Its going to be a great year.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2017, 10:23 PM
I like this thread ...

But let me be clear. I don't think the thread suggests that Duke will be unbeaten (40-0) this season. I see it as a thread counting down the nation's last few unbeaten.

I wish you had said that before I got this damn tattoo.

hsheffield
12-07-2017, 10:35 PM

The only tickets I have to see Duke this year are @Miami...”we’re going to win” (thank you Moonpie):cool:

PackMan97
12-07-2017, 10:53 PM
add up to at least four losses.

...so one game to NC State in the regular season, another game to NC State in the finals of the ACCT....what are the other two losses? I'm not silly enough to think State would beat y'all a third time if they met in the NCAAT.

Spanarkel
12-08-2017, 07:33 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400986412

flyingdutchdevil
12-08-2017, 08:08 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400986412

1 down, 8 to go!

This weekend should leave at least 6 remaining undefeateds. Definitely 7.

arnie
12-08-2017, 09:03 AM
I tend to compare this team to the 99 team with Brand, et. al. They went undefeated in ACC play including ACC tournament. However, I think the ACC was generally down that year and may not have properly prepared us for the Final Four that year. Also, the core of that team was comprised of sophomores + upper classmen Carrawell and Langdon.

This year’s talent is extraordinary and depth is good; but with a tougher ACC and so much inexperience, I think 15-3 would be a great regular season and 4 losses won’t shock me. That record will win the regular season.

throatybeard
12-08-2017, 10:56 AM
...so one game to NC State in the regular season, another game to NC State in the finals of the ACCT...what are the other two losses? I'm not silly enough to think State would beat y'all a third time if they met in the NCAAT.

At Carolina, something else that would be totally annoying. Virginia Tech maybe.

elvis14
12-08-2017, 11:21 AM
At Carolina, something else that would be totally annoying. Virginia Tech maybe.

Are we even playing the Gamecocks?

Troublemaker
12-08-2017, 11:26 AM
I tend to compare this team to the 99 team with Brand, et. al. They went undefeated in ACC play including ACC tournament. However, I think the ACC was generally down that year and may not have properly prepared us for the Final Four that year. Also, the core of that team was comprised of sophomores + upper classmen Carrawell and Langdon.

This year’s talent is extraordinary and depth is good; but with a tougher ACC and so much inexperience, I think 15-3 would be a great regular season and 4 losses won’t shock me. That record will win the regular season.

Yeah, 99 also put 4 shooters around Elton, two great ones in Avery and Langdon and two good ones in Carrawell and Battier. And, of course, the defense is much worse this season thus far. We're just not that level of team this season, imo, and won't be.

Let's try to be as good as 2015 was at the end of the season is my take. We're not there yet but can maybe grow into it (as 2015 did).

left_hook_lacey
12-08-2017, 11:28 AM
If not now, when? We have one of the most talented teams ever assembled, the GOAT pulling the strings, and one of the most favorable ACC schedules in years.

All that being said, I still don't think I'll ever seen anyone do it in my lifetime.(I was a glimmer and a wink back when Indiana last did it).

Troublemaker
12-08-2017, 11:39 AM
If not now, when? We have one of the most talented teams ever assembled, the GOAT pulling the strings, and one of the most favorable ACC schedules in years.

All that being said, I still don't think I'll ever seen anyone do it in my lifetime.(I was a glimmer and a wink back when Indiana last did it).

A favorable ACC schedule is still a tough schedule. And, I don't believe anyone's even mentioned that the @St. John's game projects to be tough this season, as they've got at least a bubble team. RPI Forecast projects our favorable schedule to be the 5th toughest in the country at the end of the season. (http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html)

I think an over/under of 4 regular season losses is very fair. For anyone wondering, kenpom projects 5 losses. 26-5 (14-4 in the ACC).

Wander
12-08-2017, 11:52 AM

I bet we'll see it once every few decades. Illinois in 2005 and Kentucky in 2015 came reasonably close. The catch is just that it was as much to do with your conference strength as anything else.

PackMan97
12-08-2017, 12:07 PM
I think an over/under of 4 regular season losses is very fair. For anyone wondering, kenpom projects 5 losses. 26-5 (14-4 in the ACC).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=2969060

"With the incoming freshmen we have coming in here and what we have coming back, I don't see us losing any more than four games this year," Grant began. "Honestly. If we stay healthy, I think we have the talent to be a Final Four team and contend for a national championship."

...for the record, that team finished 15-16.

uh_no
12-08-2017, 12:38 PM
I bet we'll see it once every few decades. Illinois in 2005 and Kentucky in 2015 came reasonably close. The catch is just that it was as much to do with your conference strength as anything else.

UNC '09 duke '10, UK '12, UL '13 could all have easily gone undefeated if they played the kind of cupcake schedules that memphis was under calipari.

Playing in an awful conference has the double benefit of
1) you probably won't lose
2) you rack up easy wins for two months and bag an (often IMO) undeservedly high seed

Kentucky in 2015 is proof of that. they had some early good wins, sure, but once they got to conference season, the best game they played was #29 arkansas. Contrast that to duke who had SEVEN games against opponents stronger than that in the ACC. If you play enough good teams, you'll lose eventually.

English
12-08-2017, 04:50 PM
UNC '09 duke '10, UK '12, UL '13 could all have easily gone undefeated if they played the kind of cupcake schedules that memphis was under calipari.

Playing in an awful conference has the double benefit of
1) you probably won't lose
2) you rack up easy wins for two months and bag an (often IMO) undeservedly high seed

Kentucky in 2015 is proof of that. they had some early good wins, sure, but once they got to conference season, the best game they played was #29 arkansas. Contrast that to duke who had SEVEN games against opponents stronger than that in the ACC. If you play enough good teams, you'll lose eventually.

I'll also point out that the 2015 UK team had some real, real close calls against a lousy SEC schedule on their way to an undefeated regular season and conference tourney. Put them in a slightly-less-lousy conference, and they're definitely dropping at least one.

El_Diablo
12-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Like clockwork....

JetpackJesus
12-09-2017, 02:07 PM
This was my first reaction to this thread. (Don't jinx Duke or we will lose to BC.)

However, I do like this thread since it keeps me interested in these other teams until the ACC season starts.

Always go with your first instinct, I guess. Oh well.

weezie
12-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Yep. But whatevs. See ya in Brooklyn eagle.

luburch
12-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Do people still think this thread was about Duke going undefeated? Might want to read the original post :)

BD80
12-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Do people still think this thread was about Duke going undefeated? Might want to read the original post :)

It still did the job ...

uh_no
12-09-2017, 02:33 PM
I'll also point out that the 2015 UK team had some real, real close calls against a lousy SEC schedule on their way to an undefeated regular season and conference tourney. Put them in a slightly-less-lousy conference, and they're definitely dropping at least one.

They ought to have lost to ND as well in the regional finals, as well, were it not for some ill advised hero ball from ND.

People talk about how we were "lucky" to escape kentucky....i think we would have had at least as good a chance as we did against wisconsin.

flyingdutchdevil
12-09-2017, 02:38 PM
It still did the job ...

My bad for jinxing. Even though I don’t believe in jinxing.

Olympic Fan
12-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Okay, Duke's no longer undefeated. Too bad, but very, very few expected Duke to go undefeated all season.

This thread is still viable. As of Sunday morning, we still have seven undefeateds. We still need to count them down. Here are the seven undefeated left and their best chabnces to lose by the end of December (along with their Pomeroy rank):

1. Villanova -- games at Temple and at Butler
10. Miami -- games at George Washington and at Pitt (hey, it's an ACC road game and if you don't think that's dangerous, you slept thru Saturday)
20. TCU -- one tough game, at home vs. Oklahoma
27. FSU -- a game with Oklahoma State in Sunrise, Fla., and a game at Duke
43. Arizona State -- at game at Kansas (today!) and a game at Arizona
66. Mississippi State -- a neutral game against Auburn
92. Georgetown -- a game at Syracuse, a home game with Butler and a game at Marquette

The last two on the list are TOTALLY a product of their schedule (G'town 351 SOS, Miss State 346 SOS). As soon as they face decent opponents, they are gone. Arizona State and FSU are legit good teams, but they face ridiculously tough games before the end of the month (at Kansas and at Duke). I like the chances of Nova and Miami to make it to the new year unbeaten. I think TCU has a real chance too.

left_hook_lacey
12-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Apparently.

DevilFalcon
12-10-2017, 07:35 PM
I completely blame this thread and its original poster for our loss against Boston College. Way to mess up the run.

flyingdutchdevil
12-10-2017, 07:51 PM
I completely blame this thread and its original poster for our loss against Boston College. Way to mess up the run.

I can’t deny my incredible powers in making a team lose. Probably shouldn’t tell you that I was present at the BC game, huh?

devildeac
12-10-2017, 07:54 PM
I can’t deny my incredible powers in making a team lose. Probably shouldn’t tell you that I was present at the BC game, huh?

I'll blame your friends. This time...

:rolleyes:;)

Olympic Fan
12-10-2017, 09:29 PM
I admit to being stunned -- and pleasantly surprised -- by Arizona State's win at Kansas.

They still have one major hurdle -- at Arizona on Dec. 30 -- between them and entering the new year undefeated.

Great job, Bobby!

OldPhiKap
12-10-2017, 09:34 PM

We also blame you for the failure of both the Netherlands and the United States to qualify for the World Cup. A special prosecutor is looking into how you did the Italians in as well.

The force is strong with this one.

Rich
12-10-2017, 09:51 PM
I admit to being stunned -- and pleasantly surprised -- by Arizona State's win at Kansas.

They still have one major hurdle -- at Arizona on Dec. 30 -- between them and entering the new year undefeated.

Great job, Bobby!

I was at the Jimmy V Classic game last year at MSG when Purdue absolutely demolished ASU by over 30 points. Didn't look like they should be on the court together and I felt really bad for Bobby, although he was coaching and pushing his team the whole time. Good to see some good things come his way, including a top 20 ranking.

Just concerns me that the Committee could see a Bobby vs. Coach K match-up to be something they can't pass up.

left_hook_lacey
12-11-2017, 08:27 AM
I was at the Jimmy V Classic game last year at MSG when Purdue absolutely demolished ASU by over 30 points. Didn't look like they should be on the court together and I felt really bad for Bobby, although he was coaching and pushing his team the whole time. Good to see some good things come his way, including a top 20 ranking.

Just concerns me that the Committee could see a Bobby vs. Coach K match-up to be something they can't pass up.

They don't use personal story lines for seeding. They have said this many times. :rolleyes:

flyingdutchdevil
12-11-2017, 08:54 AM
We also blame you for the failure of both the Netherlands and the United States to qualify for the World Cup. A special prosecutor is looking into how you did the Italians in as well.

Netherlands is on me. You could also, maybe, put Italy on me as well. The US? I don't have that much power. Mediocre conference + historic powerhouse in said conference = guaranteed WC bid. I am only FDD the Gray. Bruce Arena the White is the real wizard...

BD80
12-11-2017, 10:10 AM

I blame FDD for Global Warming ...

and Emojis

CDu
12-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Netherlands is on me. You could also, maybe, put Italy on me as well. The US? I don't have that much power. Mediocre conference + historic powerhouse in said conference = guaranteed WC bid. I am only FDD the Gray. Bruce Arena the White is the real wizard...

Flagged for ruining my 2018 World Cup. :mad:

flyingdutchdevil
12-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Flagged for ruining my 2018 World Cup. :mad:

Misery loves company, okay? I'd give up four Duke natties for one Dutch WC gold. The WC is my favorite tournament. It's the single greatest sporting event ever.

And now? I have to support the French (my wife). That's like supporting Maryland in the NCAA Tournament (I'd say UNC, but UNC is Belgium in this analogy).

CDu
12-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Misery loves company, okay? I'd give up four Duke natties for one Dutch WC gold. The WC is my favorite tournament. It's the single greatest sporting event ever.

And now? I have to support the French (my wife). That's like supporting Maryland in the NCAA Tournament (I'd say UNC, but UNC is Belgium in this analogy).

I was just teasing - I know you suffered even more than me this Fall. And I know you didn't really cause my Azzurri to fall short. Just airing my frustrations at an easy target. ;)

I really am not sure what I'm going to do. I love the World Cup. But with no Italy and no US, I'm at a loss for what I'll do. Probably cheer for one of the African nations. I can't find myself supporting another Euro squad.

flyingdutchdevil
12-11-2017, 11:29 AM
I was just teasing - I know you suffered even more than me this Fall. And I know you didn't really cause my Azzurri to fall short. Just airing my frustrations at an easy target. ;)

I really am not sure what I'm going to do. I love the World Cup. But with no Italy and no US, I'm at a loss for what I'll do. Probably cheer for one of the African nations. I can't find myself supporting another Euro squad.

Oh I know you're teasing.

This is gonna be a hard WC to watch. I don't know what I want to happen, but I'll tell you what I don't want to happen:

-Brazil to progress further than the quarters.
-Portugal to progress further than the second round.
-Christiano Ronaldo to score more than 0 goals.
-Christiano Ronaldo to make all tournament.
-Christiano Ronaldo to smile on the field.
-Christiano Ronaldo to laugh in a press conference.

uh_no
12-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Oh I know you're teasing.

This is gonna be a hard WC to watch. I don't know what I want to happen, but I'll tell you what I don't want to happen:

-Brazil to progress further than the quarters.
-Portugal to progress further than the second round.
-Christiano Ronaldo to score more than 0 goals.
-Christiano Ronaldo to make all tournament.
-Christiano Ronaldo to smile on the field.
-Christiano Ronaldo to laugh in a press conference.

I'm okay with either progressing if the end result is a 7-1 drubbing at the hands of der mannschaft

BD80
12-11-2017, 11:48 AM
... a ... drubbing at the hands of der mannschaft

How'd that get past the profanity filter ...

uh_no
12-11-2017, 11:50 AM
How'd that get past the profanity filter ...

are you suggesting we should use "I'm a real wanker" for "die mannschaft" ?

this is a family site!

Olympic Fan
12-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Jeez, has this hijacked thread landed in Havana yet?

Six of the last seven unbeatens play this week and four have a real chance to lose.

I think Mississippi State will go down Tuesday night when MSU visits Cincinnati.

Nova has a test Wednesday night at Temple, although I think they will survive.

Three teams play Saturday and all three are at risk: Syracuse at unbeaten Georgetown; Miami at George Washington and FSU-Oklahoma State in Sunrise, Fla.

Arizona State doesn't play until Sunday, when Hurley's team faces underachieving Vanderbilt at home.

TCU has the week off.

Spanarkel
12-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Jeez, has this hijacked thread landed in Havana yet?

Six of the last seven unbeatens play this week and four have a real chance to lose.

I think Mississippi State will go down Tuesday night when MSU visits Cincinnati.

Nova has a test Wednesday night at Temple, although I think they will survive.

Three teams play Saturday and all three are at risk: Syracuse at unbeaten Georgetown; Miami at George Washington and FSU-Oklahoma State in Sunrise, Fla.

Arizona State doesn't play until Sunday, when Hurley's team faces underachieving Vanderbilt at home.

TCU has the week off.

Right you are about Mississippi State losing to Cincy.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400987241

sagegrouse
12-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Right you are about Mississippi State losing to Cincy.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400987241

Headline and encapsulation:

No. 25 Cincinnati sends Mississippi State to 1st loss 65-50

Jacob Evans III had 24 points and eight rebounds as No. 25 Cincinnati recovered from back-to-back losses and handed Mississippi State its first defeat, 65-50 on Tuesday night.

flyingdutchdevil
12-13-2017, 09:21 AM
5 really good teams (Nova, Miami, FSU, TCU, ASU) and...Georgetown.

MChambers
12-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Moderately interesting analysis: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/12/13/with-duke-taking-a-loss-who-will-be-college-basketballs-last-unbeaten-team/?hpid=hp_regional-hp-cards_rhp-card-sports%3Ahomepage%2Fcard&utm_term=.dcc7a1da29fe

cato
12-13-2017, 12:32 PM

Ooh, good point.

Question: did the Dutch or US fail to qualify for the WC when FDD had Bieber as his avatar? Did Duke lose at BC?

I think the solution is clear, here.

Rich
12-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Ooh, good point.

Question: did the Dutch or US fail to qualify for the WC when FDD had Bieber as his avatar? Did Duke lose at BC?

I think the solution is clear, here.

I think FDD should have Duke's defense as his avatar since he speaks so fondly of it. :rolleyes:

flyingdutchdevil
12-13-2017, 01:14 PM
I think FDD should have Duke's defense as his avatar since he speaks so fondly of it. :rolleyes:

So you mean an avatar of white space? I kid...I kid...

devildeac
12-13-2017, 01:55 PM
So you mean an avatar of white space? I kid...I kid...

Or:

kAzE
12-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Or:

. . . or 7915

MChambers
12-13-2017, 07:53 PM
I watched a few minutes of Villanova-Temple tonight. Villanova is scary good. Had a 20 point lead 10 minutes into the game, and Temple isn’t a bad team.

ipatent
12-13-2017, 07:56 PM
I watched a few minutes of Villanova-Temple tonight. Villanova is scary good. Had a 20 point lead 10 minutes into the game, and Temple isn’t a bad team.

Good team but also one of those nights everything they throw up is going in.

Rich
12-13-2017, 08:01 PM
. . . or 7915

Or, for good measure...

Olympic Fan
12-13-2017, 10:52 PM

Next realistic chance for Nova to lose its first game will be Dec. 30 at Butler.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-14-2017, 05:29 AM
Next realistic chance for Nova to lose its first game will be Dec. 30 at Butler.

Personally, after last weekend, I am a bit wary of the unrealistic chances as well.

MCFinARL
12-16-2017, 04:14 PM
So, two more down. Georgetown, predictably, falls to Syracuse, and Florida State lost to Oklahoma State in a 1-point squeaker.

Saratoga2
12-16-2017, 06:28 PM
So, two more down. Georgetown, predictably, falls to Syracuse, and Florida State lost to Oklahoma State in a 1-point squeaker.

#3 Whichita State went down to oklahoma so Duke will rise in the standings despite not playing.

-jk
12-16-2017, 07:03 PM
#3 Whichita State went down to oklahoma so Duke will rise in the standings despite not playing.

And just like that - we're back up to 5 in KenPom (and our D has gotten marginally better).

-jk

UrinalCake
12-16-2017, 07:35 PM
And just like that - we're back up to 5 in KenPom (and our D has gotten marginally better).

-jk

Indiana’s excellent road win over Notre Dama undoubtedly helps us out in the computer polls.

MChambers
12-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Indiana’s excellent road win over Notre Dama undoubtedly helps us out in the computer polls.

Neutral site,I think, but I agree it helped Duke.

JasonEvans
12-16-2017, 09:04 PM

I dunno if it was intentional, but Whichita is a great misspelling!!

Not sure it belongs in this thread, but every time the Shockers lose it is a really good thing as their schedule is about to get really easy when conference play begins and they are playing in the American conference versus other top seed contenders who will be playing in the Power 5 conferences. It is probable Wichita will lose no more than 1 or maybe 2 games the rest of the year and if they had beaten Oklahoma, I think only having 2 or 3 total losses (they already lost to Notre Dame) would lock them in to a #1 seed. But, they will now have 2 power 5 losses (to go with 3 power 5 wins - Okie St, Baylor, and Cal) and I think their road to a #1 seed has become much tougher.

-Jason "Ummm, maybe this belongs in the bracketology thread ;) " Evans

flyingdutchdevil
12-17-2017, 01:38 PM
1) Nova - the undisputable #1 team in the country. They are really, really good. Mikal Bridges may be the most important player in the country. He's like a junior Justise Winslow

2) Miami - one of the surprise teams. Likely to go undefeated until Jan 7

3) TCU - some okay wins with Nevada and SMU, but otherwise cupcake city. Tough early Jan schedule with back-to-backs against University of Trae Young and Baylor.

4) ASU - best wins in the country. Date with Zona on Dec 30.

Nova will lose. But I'm willing to wager they'll be the last undefeated. Would love to face them in the Finals.

MChambers
12-17-2017, 02:20 PM
And Bobby's team is down big early to Vandy, 17-4. Maybe the computers know something after all?

flyingdutchdevil
12-17-2017, 04:21 PM
And Bobby's team is down big early to Vandy, 17-4. Maybe the computers know something after all?

Bobby's team still undefeated. Outscored Vandy by 11 in the second half.

CDu
12-17-2017, 04:35 PM
I dunno if it was intentional, but Whichita is a great misspelling!!

Not sure it belongs in this thread, but every time the Shockers lose it is a really good thing as their schedule is about to get really easy when conference play begins and they are playing in the American conference versus other top seed contenders who will be playing in the Power 5 conferences. It is probable Wichita will lose no more than 1 or maybe 2 games the rest of the year and if they had beaten Oklahoma, I think only having 2 or 3 total losses (they already lost to Notre Dame) would lock them in to a #1 seed. But, they will now have 2 power 5 losses (to go with 3 power 5 wins - Okie St, Baylor, and Cal) and I think their road to a #1 seed has become much tougher.

-Jason "Ummm, maybe this belongs in the bracketology thread ;) " Evans

To be fair, I think they had only 3 losses last year when they got a 10 seed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Interesting note from the ASU game... They didn't take a single midrange shot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/collegebasketball/comments/7kknku/_/

JasonEvans
12-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Interesting note from the ASU game... They didn't take a single midrange shot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/collegebasketball/comments/7kknku/_/

That chart needs to be seen to be believed... that is a coach who is embracing advanced metrics in a very big way.

Olympic Fan
12-24-2017, 02:20 AM
With Miami's defeat Saturday night in Hawaii, the ACC is out of the undefeated race.

Three contenders left (with KenPom ranks):

1. Villanova
20. Arizona State
26. TCU

All three face tough tests next Saturday -- Nova at Butler, ASU at Arizona and TCY home to Oklahoma.

Rich
12-24-2017, 09:59 AM
With Miami's defeat Saturday night in Hawaii, the ACC is out of the undefeated race.

Three contenders left (with KenPom ranks):

1. Villanova
20. Arizona State
26. TCU

All three face tough tests next Saturday -- Nova at Butler, ASU at Arizona and TCY home to Oklahoma.

Oly, do you have fro-yo on your mind? https://www.tcby.com/ :)

Olympic Fan
12-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Oly, do you have fro-yo on your mind? https://www.tcby.com/ :)

oops ... not fro-yo ... just posting after 1 a.m. and some sloppy typing and proof-reading. In my defense, the U and Y are side-by-side on my keyboard.

timmy c
12-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Looks like TCU will lose a hard fought battle to Oklahoma. Two unbeaten remain, ASU & Villanova.

duke4ever19
12-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Looks like TCU will lose a hard fought battle to Oklahoma. Two unbeaten remain, ASU & Villanova.

I'll gladly cheer for ASU to go another week as undefeated if they can take down Arizona tonight. Hopefully they will be the lone unbeaten at the end of the day.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Butler looks likely to knock out Nova

CDu
12-30-2017, 05:36 PM
There is a more than decent chance that no undefeateds will remain after tonight.

curtis325
12-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Villanova must have a terrible defense. Butler has 14 three-pointers.

BD80
12-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Bobby RULES

only UNDEFEATED coach

timmy c
12-30-2017, 06:15 PM

I was worried that this post was going to be the jinx that allowed the wildcats to come back. Count your blessings mtn devil!
I'll be cheering for Bobby tonight to keep his undefeated season alive.

Steven43
12-30-2017, 07:26 PM

Do yourselves a favor and check out the highlights of this game. Trae Young with 39 points and 14 assists with almost all of his 3’s coming from waaay behind the line. And he gets his shot off lightning quick. I’m telling you, it’s Steph Curry 2.0. Oh, and he leads the nation in scoring and assists. EASILY the national player of the year at this point. I doubt there is a close second. This kid is sensational.

jv001
12-30-2017, 07:30 PM
Do yourselves a favor and check out the highlights of this game. Trae Young with 39 points and 14 assists with almost all of his 3’s coming from waaay behind the line. And he gets his shot off lightning quick. I’m telling you, it’s Steph Curry 2.0. Oh, and he leads the nation in scoring and assists. EASILY the national player of the year at this point. I doubt there is a close second. This kid is sensational.

Yes, but can he sell popcorn and drinks while playing this way? :cool: GoDuke!

MChambers
12-30-2017, 07:46 PM

There was a guy who had a 30/20 today. He might be a close second.

flyingdutchdevil
12-30-2017, 07:49 PM

Unfortunately, with 4 other really good players on the same team, Bagley stands no chance against Young. If Young was on Duke, his numbers would look really good and not outrageous.

I agree with Steven- this is Young’s award to lose.

Steven43
12-30-2017, 07:51 PM
Yeah, you’re probably right. Bagley’s scoring and rebounding numbers are strong.

uh_no
12-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Yeah, you’re probably right. Bagley’s scoring and rebounding numbers are strong.

What are you smoking? his boards lagged significantly behind his scoring tonight. 11 fewer boards than points, was it?

really needs to step it up on the glass. slacker.

weezie
12-30-2017, 10:52 PM
I am STEAMED that this sun devil @ wildcat game is not on my directv.

ipatent
12-30-2017, 11:22 PM
No undefeated teams left. It's been a long time since '76.

Will Duke be #2 next week to a team it beat?

UrinalCake
12-31-2017, 12:06 AM
#1 (Nova), #3 (Arizona State) and #5 (Texas A&M) all lose. #2 MSU is unlikely to be challenged against Savannah State tomorrow. So conventional wisdom would suggest that MSU and Duke will be #1 and #2, although there may be some voters who think that Nova's loss to Butler is not as bad as our loss to BC and will still keep them ahead of us.

Other top teams had narrow victories today, besides us:

#6 Xavier beat unranked DePaul by 5 at home
#8 Wichita State beat unranked UConn by 10 on the road
#9 Virginia beat unranked BC by 1 at home
#10 TCU lost to #12 Oklahoma at home
#13 UNC beat unranked Wake Forest at home
and #19 Tennessee lost to unranked Arkansas on the road

It's going to be a wild season!